Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Ancient Games Thread: Let Us Revel In Nostalgia  (Read 7849 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient Games Thread: Let Us Revel In Nostalgia
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2013, 06:31:41 pm »

Too many games. I really was a computer geek when I was a kid. So many memories.....

Wizards of war, boulder dash, river raid on my cousin's C64.
Berserk, space invaders and some RPG I can never remember the name of on the A2600

Way too much time at the pinny parlour as a kid (at 20c a game you could spend hours on a $3 allowance). Rygar, Midnight Resistance, a million shoot'em ups, Fighting Fantasy, Gauntlet, Growl!, Neo-geo games, every damn beat'em up, NAM1975, Wonderboy in Monsterland and Bubble Bobble spring to mind. Cheat codes on arcade games? You rock Taito. The power of friendship? Hah, we used to belt each other in the arm for "competitive advantage" in collecting power-ups.

All the Wonderboys, Ultima 4, Phantasy Star on the SMS. Yes, I still whistle the tunes sometimes, they're completely locked into my brain after all the hours playing them.

Then I got an 80286, with SVGA graphics! Holy crap! So many good shareware games. When pirating meant a so many floppy disks it sometimes wasn't even worth it....... And a modem (that I worked for 3 months to buy)! The joy of BBS's and multiplayer gaming. Legend of the Red Dragon, Barren Realms Elite, Solar Realms Elite. Damn we used to kick arse on the Hellhole. Learned the joy of ripping graphics and sound and learned to program a bit as well. Megalomania had the best damn sprite page ever, and Syndicate the best rippable sound files. I was a 'leet coder in Qbasic and TP :). One of these days I will use them for something, I'll give you the heads-up when the UbiSoft cease-and-desist letter arrives. Oh, and gorrilas and nibbles, two of the finest games ever included in a Microsoft product ever. Played a heap of Pyro22 as well, that game was the shit.

Moved up to a 486 and found some early emulators. Spent hours on M.U.L.E. for the NES. Played a heap of good PC games as well. Found roguelikes and fell in love with them.

Now I've got an I5 with more HDD space than I know what to do with and a fair bit of ram. It's kind of nice to think that I still often use it for crap released 20 years ago, and still have just as much fun playing them today.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:05:25 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2013, 07:38:19 pm »

Is her name Kardis?

I'm pretty sure that there's only one Record of Lodoss War.
Yeah, it's the same.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2013, 11:43:50 pm »

Wizards of war ...  river raid on my cousin's C64.

RPG I can never remember the name of on the A2600

I remember fondly everything you described, in about the same way.  These two were jems that I had forgotten about until now -- two player Wizards of War was one of my favorite passtimes.

Something about River Raid also reminds me of a top down WWI top scrolling flying game.. I think it was Blue Max?  Loved it.

By any chance was that 2600 RPG called "Adventure"??

Or maybe the Apshai trillogy (Temple of, Gateway to, and something else... Dunjonquest something)??

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2013, 05:00:43 pm »

Key milestones in my trip down memory lane:

I started out on a ZX81 that my dad would borrow from work (he was a teacher at a high school) over the weekends.  I'm not sure if he was actually allowed to do that, but there you go.  We had two games, Bomber and Space Invaders (it may have been called Space Raiders, I'm not sure).  I can't really remember playing them, but I do sorta remember the cassette case cover.  I woulda been age 3 or so :p

I also remember loving Dare Devil Dennis on the BBC Micro, but I don't recall where I actually played it (pretty sure we didn't ever get a BBC at home).  I also remember not much liking Chucky Egg, despite it apparently being the go-to choice for games on school computers (I was always disappointed that they had that and not Dare Devil Dennis).

We upgraded to the classic rubber keyed 48K Spectrum at some point in my childhood, not sure if we bought one or if my dad was still borrowing it.  The earliest game I remember playing on that was "Thro' the Wall", taking it in turns with my family in front of the tv.  It was one of those games where you bounce a ball with a paddle to break bricks for profit.  A precursor to Arkanoid I guess (is that the most well known one?  It's the one I remember being popular).  Also Hungry Horace, and Horace Goes Skiing.  Never had Horace and the Spiders though - I was jealous of the guy I knew at school that had that one.  Oh, and Jetpac!

First game I played with a joystick instead of just keyboard was Sabre Wulf - I think my dad bought the game and joystick at the same time, and I remember being awfully excited about it.  I don't think I really knew what I was doing though.

The only other game from the Spectrum era that sticks out in my mind (and I'm not sure why) is Jack the Nipper.  I can't even really remember what type of game it was, but it still jumps to the fore whenever I'm thinking back.

At some point I upgraded to a 128k Spectrum, with a whopping two games that used that extra ram: Daley Thompson's Supertest (destroyer of joysticks everywhere) and The Neverending Story (which I couldn't get further than about 4 rooms on).  15 minute load times for games that really weren't worth the wait :p

Around age 11 or so my auntie's boyfriend got an Amiga 500.  I remember being blown away by the sounds of the monks chanting in Bards Tale (which seems silly now, but at the time the next best thing I'd experienced was Ghostbusters and it's terrible crackly speech.  So I saved up my pocket money for about a year, convinced my mum and dad to chip in, and got one of my own.  First games were Elite (don't really need to say more about that one), Bards Tale, and Turrican.  I remember being similarly amazed by the intro to Turrican as I was by the monks chanting in Bards Tale.

For Christmas I got a 512k memory expansion, along with the classic Dungeon Master (which required that expansion to run).

I could easily list so many more games if I put any thought into it, but those are the key memories and I consider that to be roughly the end of "ancient" and moving on into merely "very old".  I don't think I ever completed any of the games mentioned (although in fairness some of them you couldn't "complete", they just cycled infinitely).

Oh, I forgot to mention Chaos.  I loved Chaos.  Got it on the front of a gaming magazine (might have been a demo?).  And someone made a flash version of the game!

(edited for a missing "not"... also I forgot arcade games!  The main two I remember loving were the TMNT one, and Wrestlemania - we didn't have arcades as a permanent fixture where I lived, but there was a sorta carnival that came to town once a year that had them and some of our family holidays involved them, which made them extra 'special' when I got to play on one).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 05:20:21 pm by Biowraith »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2013, 06:25:40 pm »

Oh man no mention of the Ultima series. Man that was my fix back in the days for a damn good RPG, wasn't until Morrowind came out that i was playing enything else. DAMN YOU EA FOR CRUSHING ORIGIN SYSTEMS

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2013, 11:34:10 pm »

Man, looking through the thread at all the mentions of older game consoles makes me feel young.

First game I remember playing was Super Mario 64 on N64. I was six or something. It was a magical experience unlike any I had had before, and then I got the N64 and a bunch of platformers for Christmas, and then suddenly vidyah games became a part of my life.

Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie will forever be the greatest platformer collectathons of all time!...to me. Donkey Kong 64 was awesome too, all three were a blast that I never tired of playing.

Another fun game was Yoshi's Story. The aesthetic design was appealing, the soundtrack and mood of the game was very happy and upbeat, and there were always secrets to find for me. Unlocking the black and white yoshis were fun.

Paper Mario also deserves mention. I never managed to buy it during the entire time I had my N64, and I remember renting it from Blockbuster several times just to play it again and again and again. I think I beat it...once? The end game was a blur of excitement, really.

Pokemon was another huge thing for me. Whenever we went anywhere I took my Gameboy Advance along to play Pokemon Silver or Ruby or Leaf Green. I remember taking it to school and playing it with friends and bragging about which pokemon one of us had caught and how we caught them and stuff like that. Woo, nostalgia!
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2013, 11:37:29 pm »

Oldest games I've ever played are either the original Command and Conquer or System Shock 2.  Beyond that, I've only played the original Legend of Zelda on an emulator.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2013, 01:27:10 am »

I'm pretty sure the oldest game I have ever played was Zork. Was released about ten years before my birth, and I was about sixteen when I finished it.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2013, 11:39:24 am »

My first game would've been Mario World/Duck Hunt on the NES. NES came out when I was almost Three in NA, not sure when my parents got it, but it's part of my first memories. Hell, I remeber coming home everyday from daycare, my mum would put my little brother down for his afternoon nap, we'd sit down and play super mario 3, start to finish. We got rather good at it, had a whole system. Get a cloud here to skip a castle there etc.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2013, 12:05:04 pm »

Castle of Dr. Brain
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:12:10 pm by Mookzen »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2013, 02:05:37 pm »

Commander Keen one, eve there the game was funny
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2013, 04:39:00 pm »

The first game I had ever bought with my own pocket money...

Pokemon Red for Gameboy...

My Father was going down to Bathurst for the V8 Supercars Endurance Race and My Sister, Mum and I took he up to the Airport, we went up early cause the flight was going to be a while and we were kids back then so yeah. Before going to the Airport though we went around the Mall and I saw Pokemon Red, having watched Pokemon every morning on the Kids Cartoons, I wanted it, and I had the money for some reason. So I bought it much to my Fathers disgust (he has never been happy I am a gamer tbh). Though at that time it was a Granted, I was playing it when he boarded the Airplane and took off, I don't think I even looked up to wave him off... :P
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2013, 05:43:51 pm »

No mention of DOOM? I am disappoint.

It may not be as old as the other games here, but I loved it to death.

And people are still working on it!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2013, 09:27:50 pm »

The first computer my family had was a Vendex, I think, bought in 1987. I say had, but they actually still have it somewhere. Still works too, or it did the last time I checked.

And we had so many amazing games for it. Simple games like Digger, Sleuth, Sopwith and a very very simplified rogue-like called Castle. Education games like Midnight Rescue and Treasure Mountain. The one I have the fondest memories of is still Ultima V though. I have no idea how many hours my sisters and I spent on that game, and we still never even beat it (didn't really want to). Still have the notebooks that we wrote down all the clues, codes, conversations and spells in.

I'll win it some day. Even if it takes another twenty years.

Edit: looking way back, I think the first game I remember playing? Ernie's Big Splash.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 09:32:25 pm by varnish »

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2013, 09:31:04 pm »

Does anyone remember a space sim for windows just called 'Stars!' ? I'm not having any luck hunting it down. Google doesn't count the exclamation point so I can't find anything about it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7