Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Ancient Games Thread: Let Us Revel In Nostalgia  (Read 7877 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient Games Thread: Let Us Revel In Nostalgia
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 10:09:36 am »

First NES game I ever got my hands on was Super Mario Bros. 3. I remember how much of a blast it was to play it with my brother and Warp Whistle all over the place.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 10:10:38 am »

Ooh, I almost forgot. Rogue Squadron. When I was little I played that with my father all the time, it was a great bonding activity. Since I understood what was going on but didn't have the coordination (or the reach...) to both fly and gun at the same time, we'd split it up, one of us handling the flight controls while the other shot and used special weapons. Trust me, there is nothing that promotes a greater sense of unity than two people managing to coordinate well enough to successfully tow-cable an AT-AT.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 10:10:55 am »

Wait, Kotor is ancient?
Considering it was one of the first games I ever saw played, it is to me.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 10:11:45 am »

Pretty much every awesome SNES game I played, including EVO: The Search for Eden, a very interesting plataformer adventure rpg thing, Seiken Densetsu 3 (basicaly secret of mana 3) which, despite only being in japanese at the time, was one of the best action RPGs I ever played, and Shin Megami Tensei 2, which was the first SMT game I played (this one on the emulator though).
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 10:20:39 am »

Well i'd say a 10 year olf game is pretty old...
It really depends on when someone started their adventure with games.
Personally i started playing games on a C64 like Midnight Resistance (A Contra-esque game) or Bubble Bobble in the early 90's.
Someone else might say those are not ancient because THEY played game xxx in mid 80's.

It's all relative.

Anyway games i remember best:

Bubble Bobble (everyone should know this one)
Contra (Ditto)
Midnight Resistance
Sly Spy Secret Agent (A C64 game i just remember for some reason)

Commodore also had a set of "turbo" games (on tape) that loaded ultrafast (5-10 minutes at most!).
I had plenty of those...
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 10:25:49 am »

Well i'd say a 10 year olf game is pretty old...
It really depends on when someone started their adventure with games.
Personally i started playing games on a C64 like Midnight Resistance (A Contra-esque game) or Bubble Bobble in the early 90's.
Someone else might say those are not ancient because THEY played game xxx in mid 80's.

It's all relative.
Technically ancient is more appropriate for things century or millennia old.
This thread should be nostalgic reminiscences of when Go was new.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 10:38:06 am »

Well, I didn't play Bubble Bobble, but I very much remember Bubble Bobble Nostalgia (fitting the thread either way).
Also, I'd say that Giantz: Citizen Kabuto is somewhat ancient for me.

Never got far into it without resorting to cheats, though.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 10:47:43 am »

I'm not that old, stop making me feel old!
I jest of course. I rember renting link to the past as a kid from the local rental store, my dad played the darned thing for the entire weekend -,-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 11:11:32 am »

The very first videogame i played was a variant of pong. It was on one of those multi-games (all being variant of pongs actually) antique consoles from the 2nd part of the seventies.

The first videogame i played on a computer was Space shuttle simulator on an antique computer called MO5, probably what started my love for space simulations that lead me in playing with Orbiter so much nowadays.

Much later, i think the game that addicted me the most was Hunter on an Atari ST , it was utterly awesome, never played anything like this before, probably why it made such an impression on me.

I got a PC rather late, and the first PC game i played was Daggerfall, it's basically why i worked to be able to afford a PC at the time, reading the review on various magazines had me really hooked in this.
While it wasn't as amazing as i imagined it to be, i still played this game for an immense amount of time.

When i think about my youth, it's rather impressive how gaming technology has improved.

But in the same time, it's odd but what i play nowadays are not actually use modern technology for the visuals and some of them are even rather low res 2D or even ASCII.
And the heavy majority of games i play are free and/or open sourced ones, out of M&B Warband, i don't even remember when was it that a commercial game attracted my attention so much that i purchased it.

Without even mentionning that i still play some (very) oldies thanks to DOSBox, i guess modern videogaming didn't attracted me at all if i am still playing those, fortunately still enjoying my time with them :) though finding free time is not as easy anymore.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 11:15:47 am »

I'm not sure what my first game was, I've been playing games since before I can actually remember. It would've been something on the NES, most likely mario bros 1, or 3.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 11:21:35 am »

My first experience with gaming was way back in elementary school. All classrooms had a PC running Windows 95 and another machine that took 5.5" floppies. I know basically nothing about it except that it was ancient and had the monitor molded to the top of the keyboard, It didn't work very well and I remember nothing about the games except that they were all edutainment.

The PC, however, had Sim City 2000 and that old HOVER! game. I played both extensively when I was lucky enough to be the first on the computer. I also remember going to the computer lab on Fridays and playing Conjunction Junction and stuff like that.

To let you in on how little experience I had with computers back then, my first grade teacher had us all write down facts about ourselves when the year ended. Fast forward to high school graduation, this little old lady comes back to where the nearly-graduates are waiting and hands all of her old students a silver dollar and that sheet of paper. My favorite game? Microsoft Word.

rausm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 11:28:53 am »

C64...

Some memories (my first games & my first programs).

Boulder dash, the million-times-remade classic.

Barbarian, the game(s) where I survived by sheer luck (didn't do much better in the PC remakes).

High noon. I think i broke joystick furiously playing this one.

Although the real joystick-wrecker were those Olympic games, really, who came with the idea that a good game constitutes of "wanking the stick faster and faster until you successfully finish" :D.

I've had a few cassettes packed with games, some of them were too hard, most of them were not worth the space they occupied ... But that hadn't changed ;-)))

Thanks for letting me borrow your time-traveling machine. ;-)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 11:41:30 am »

And then a game which i sorely miss.. Startropics.
Dat music! Always gets stuck in my head when I think about it.

The first game I ever played was Warlords, which was basically 4 player Pong/Breakout, on the Atari 2600. I played ET for hours, simply because I couldn't figure the damn game out. It was the one game that really frustrated the hell out of me. It took me years to figure out that it was because the damn game was horrible, not because I was missing something.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 11:53:04 am »

Streets of Rage! Golden Axe! Revenge of Shinobi! all on one cartridge :D

I played one of the Dizzy games on the C64 but I can't really remember it much, also a flying sim where you can also go underwater, didn't get to play it much as my (older) sister gnawed on the joystick cable...

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 12:13:48 pm »

Pikmin 2 for the Gamecube. To this day I still can't beat it.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7