Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 44

Author Topic: Roguelike Mafia 6 - Sanity Reigns [Game Over]  (Read 96695 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike Mafia 6 - The Cloister of Zodank, God of Madness [Day 1]
« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2013, 05:01:36 pm »

Alamoes: You missed me.

Also, you can trim down quotes. Please don't post big blocks like that when you're only addressing a small part of it.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2013, 05:08:51 pm »

Captain Ford: Did you read the item list?  If you had one scroll of revive, who would you use it on?
I can't find that item on the list. Where did you find it?

One of the items were revive, which I assumed could be applied to scrolls.  Scroll = one shot, revive is an effect.  1xrevive=scroll of revive.  Logic. 

Alamoes: You missed me.

Also, you can trim down quotes. Please don't post big blocks like that when you're only addressing a small part of it.

Sorry. 

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 26, 2013, 05:25:15 pm »

Alamoes: The only revive items I see are both passives, and only work if the owner dies.

Sorry. 
It's okay. If you ever want to see how a post is formatted, you can always hit the quote link on the post to see how it looks in bbcode.

We might act nasty in game, but we're generally really nice people besides. The core of this game is arguing with people for fun. It can get kind of intense, but hopefully that's what you signed up for.

Also, whatever you might think of your actions, you haven't done anything lynchworthy yet. Just read the guides that Vector's posting, and keep working on figuring out who scum is.

The golden rule of bay12 mafia: You can get away with anything if you have good reasoning to back it up.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 26, 2013, 05:46:36 pm »

PFP
The golden rule of bay12 mafia: You can get away with anything if you have good reasoning to back it up.
Addendum & Disclaimer: The definition of "good reasoning" may vary from person to person. People are not always rational. And, of course, good reasoning does you no good if you don't share it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 26, 2013, 06:30:35 pm »

Question: is your avatar a cake or a hat? It looks delicious. More seriously, what is the major difference between a scum-tell and newb-flailing? Are they easily distinguished?

Cake :3  Vector's avatar is always eatible.

My feeling is that it's difficult, and honestly easier if whoever's playing is pretty self-conscious.  In that case, it's easy to differentiate, because you can beat the scumtells out of townie noobs pretty fast.  People who don't care... you pretty much just have to lynch them, or hope that the scumteam is experienced and impatient enough to take 'em out (looking at Pandar's Org NK in NSBM).

Vector: What role ( in this game) do you think is most useful to town? To scum? To third parties?

Scum: Paladin, Warrior, Thief, in descending order.

Third party: Eh. . . I'd probably take Paladin or Priest, depending.  You really need to roll with self-protection here, because most third-parties are survivors + something else.

To town?  I don't really know.  I think the best thing for town is to have a wide variety of roles across things that aren't Warrior or Thief.  This is one of those things where it really amounts to how you're going to play to your own specialties and preferences.

Deathsword: What redeeming values do you have?
I try to help newbies. Even if that means attacking them until they learn.
I was hoping for something more... substantial.

PPE: Fuckin' ninja.

You asked what redeeming values I have. That is what I believe.

Now, tell me, how does that help you with finding scum?

I don't know why you imply I'm being lazy. In my opinion, the questions don't really make sense at all to me.
Freshman, saying you have nothing to do because you are answering questions is lazy. Why? Because you can both answer questions and ask questions at the same time. If you think the questions don't make sense, then ask questions (see, it can lead you to asking questions) like the one to Zrk2 above in this very post. But do not refuse to answer the questions and ask your own. Hunt for scum. Find something that feels off and question. And then question some more. Then, if you are sure they are scum, vote. And then ask more questions both to the player you think is scum, and to others.

You're both asking pretty much the same question, so I'll tackle both of them at once. Simply put I can't pressure everyone. Even Vector mentioned that earlier. So picked one person at random and are now trying to learn what they think they are good at, so I can get a better read on them.

How long do you intend to spend noob-sniping throughout this game, given that we have a lot of noobs and it is indeed difficult to spread one's attention very far?  Furthermore, how will you differentiate noob-town and noob-scum?

Zrk2:
Ahh! I quiver in fear of your magical rock.
Ah, wow. I actually expected a lot more sarcasm. *smiles*

Unvote. A more serious question now, since I'm fully awake: How would you describe your playstyle? Are there any games you've done well in? (I think I have a very tilted view of your meta, I'm hoping to expand it a bit)

Deathsword: What redeeming values do you have?
What does Deathsword need redeeming from?

How is your unvote on the person you're still questioning going to help your case?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 26, 2013, 06:48:27 pm »

Imperial: I can see you got my point. Unvote. Now tell me, if you were scum, which of the other players would you want on your team?
People like tiruin, vector, freshman, etc

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 26, 2013, 06:52:40 pm »

Quick post before I have to leave again.

How is your unvote on the person you're still questioning going to help your case?
What case?

Imperial: I can see you got my point. Unvote. Now tell me, if you were scum, which of the other players would you want on your team?
People like tiruin, vector, freshman, etc
...why freshman?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 26, 2013, 06:54:02 pm »

I assume you're questioning him for a reason.  Is that an incorrect assumption?

The Soldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Mono-Lances
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 26, 2013, 07:05:50 pm »

alamoes:
I know that I can win when I'm dead, but it would be no fun if I'm out on the first day.
Fair enough. Also, try not to bandwagon in the future, as it's quite scummy. Would you be happy with Freshman being lynched if the day ended right this instant?

Additionally, you have no votes on you currently. As long as you keep answering questions and start asking them, it should stay that way, so I wouldn't be so worried about being the D1 lynch.

Ford:
The Soldier: Oh wow. I left that in there? Sorry. I guess I got interrupted in writing the post and forgot about that part.

I probably would have edited that to say something more like "that's a big homework assignment for one question" if I'd remembered to edit it.
I realized that myself after I asked it, hence why I reduced it here.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 26, 2013, 07:28:55 pm »

PPE: This has been sitting a while, dealing with serious videogame business (as serious as videogame business can be, anyway). My poor, poor ISKies. This calls for a drink or six!

For the question:I just felt obligated to ask some random question about something to some random guy.  It seems to be what everyone is doing, but I don't have many good questions. 
It's an acquired skill, believe me. You get the hang of it after a couple of games.

Alamoes: The only revive items I see are both passives, and only work if the owner dies.
You still haven't technically answered the question, y'know.

Soldier: I had the flow for this reply perfect earlier, but now I can't seem to find the words. I'll just say that almost all third parties are detrimental to town, and some can wrap up the game unexpectedly early. Many of them are mostly harmless once they have been identified (though I'll admit, you usually won't even know that they are a third party until they flip).

I had a piece of advice to the new players that I wanted to build into the reply, but I suppose I will have to present it on its own. My advice is to always ask Why?. And I don't mean tack it onto the end of every question or anything, but you need to ask yourself why people are doing things to try to determine their motives. It may be the single most important question you can ask yourself on a regular basis. As a personal example, take the last day of Totem Mafia 2. Through my deadchat connections, we were able to confirm that either Captain Ford or Leafsnail was scum. Naturally, they should have been trying to lynch each other. Ford went after Leafsnail, but Leafsnail hesitated in voting to lynch Ford. I noted that Leaf hesitated, but I neglected to ask why. Had I asked why he was hesitant I might have been able to work out that he was a third party, but I didn't.

I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 26, 2013, 07:55:01 pm »

Vector: I originally voted him as part of parodying his own vote. My point made, I unvoted him. I may return to voting him later on, as he seems pretty competent. But at least for now I want to see how he fares with no pressure on him.

Putting pressure on someone can generate activity for them (by giving them something to respond to). The test here is to see if he can do it on his own. (And I suppose I'm looking for a baseline, too)

The Soldier: Yeah. I hope he knows what those terms mean.

Speaking of which, I've got an answer. I think Excalibur is probably the ultimate lylo-breaker, and I'd be worried if one fell into scum hands (but then, I wouldn't know about it until too late, so there's no sense in worrying about it).

Hapah:
You still haven't technically answered the question, y'know.
I can't really answer the question unless I know how the item works. Since it doesn't exist, I'd have to make it up.

In which case, I'd use it on myself.

Also, that's very good advice.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 26, 2013, 08:34:45 pm »

alamoes:
I know that I can win when I'm dead, but it would be no fun if I'm out on the first day.
Fair enough. Also, try not to bandwagon in the future, as it's quite scummy. Would you be happy with Freshman being lynched if the day ended right this instant?

Additionally, you have no votes on you currently. As long as you keep answering questions and start asking them, it should stay that way, so I wouldn't be so worried about being the D1 lynch.

Yeah, I know I'm probably safe, but still, probably is an unsure word.  If Freshman was lynched, I would probably be fine with it, but I'd rather have his answers first.  If he is a town, I'd have my regrets, but still, the game must go on.  And to lynch a random guy is better than not  lynching at all.  I'm still tempted to pull out random.org for that. 

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 26, 2013, 08:37:49 pm »

Holy crap. Just brought up the LurkerTracker and Freshman has accumulated five votes already. I guess we've not been as gentle as I thought.

The Soldier: That's a really odd question to bandwagon on, especially seeing as it's only been 11 hours since his last post. Also, judging from his reply to Vector's question, he doesn't recognize the terms you used at all. Do you really think adding pressure is going to help?

alamoes: Don't do that. The problem with everyone voting at random is that scum could easily decide the vote, ensuring that a townie gets lynched. Everyone voting at random is a sure-fire way to ensure you don't lynch scum on the first day.

Thus, we scumhunt.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 26, 2013, 09:13:33 pm »

Cake :3  Vector's avatar is always eatible.
Everyone's avatar is edible. >:3

Also, I keep thinking your avatar is some kind of bug.

(looking at Pandar's Org NK in NSBM)
Which game was NSBM? I don't recognize it.

The Soldier: Uh, wow. I just read his original answer. Never mind.

Freshmaniscoolman:
What item would you be most worried about scum having?

Why do you care about that? Perhaps maybe you're asking me to get that specific item and worry me.
I don't think it's been said yet, but this is incredibly paranoid. You can only acquire items randomly in this game (aside from starting items), so the idea of acquiring a specific item is absurd. (unless I'm missing something)

Also "perhaps maybe" is redundant. Which comes off really weak.

Showing contempt for the question and for RVS in general is not exactly a winning strategy, Freshman. Until I see something better from you, you really deserve this vote.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 44