Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 44

Author Topic: Roguelike Mafia 6 - Sanity Reigns [Game Over]  (Read 96685 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike Mafia 6 - The Cloister of Zodank, God of Madness [Day 1]
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2013, 08:37:56 am »

Fresh, why do you think it's best to pressure just one target at a time? Don't you risk scum slipping by that way?

The Soldier, given the list of possible player classes (thief, archaeologist etc.) if someone made a roleclaim, would that affect how you thought about their possible alignment?

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2013, 08:47:58 am »

why do you think it's best to pressure just one target at a time? Don't you risk scum slipping by that way?

Because I can't pressure 2 targets at a time, impossible.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2013, 08:51:27 am »

Fresh, I wouldn't say it was impossible. I'm pressuring you on this point, and, if you'll look above, I have the beginnings of pressure on other players (such as Urist). You can't pressure vote two people at the same time, but you can apply pressure by following up on their responses.

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2013, 08:56:58 am »

Thanks for the info then?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2013, 09:04:02 am »

Leafsnail: In a scenario when you've a Scroll of Ill Will - when would you it, what factors would you use it under and will there be any other factors compelling you to use it at the time given?
Assuming it's my only item I'd use it against someone who looks scummy at the first available opportunity.  It's really not good enough to be worth saving.

Imperial Guardsman: Did you know that going out of your way to not look scummy is itself scummy?
This is a pretty softball question!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2013, 09:04:46 am »

unvote

Freshman: First: use quotes. It's best for everyone if we know what you are talking about and the context behind it. Look at this post to see how you should quote.

why do you think it's best to pressure just one target at a time? Don't you risk scum slipping by that way?

Because I can't pressure 2 targets at a time, impossible.

Why not? Elaborate.

do you think it's better to pressure just one target at a time, or pursue multiple target simultaneously?

One target at a time

Also, how would you use pressure, and in what way are you giving it as your first post contains nothing but answers...and a really bad edit.

Answer is above. And, nothing is really being said to me but questions, so I have nothing to input.
It is not above. In his second question he asked how you would use it, not if one or more than one target. Also, even if he doesn't ask why you should say why.

As for the second part of the quote, yes you have something to input. ASK QUESTIONS.

What item would you be most worried about scum having?

Why do you care about that? Perhaps maybe you're asking me to get that specific item and worry me.
Or maybe he is just trying to know how you think (since you are new) and you are panicking scum. Answer his question.

freshmaniscoolman: What item would you be most worried about scum having?
Any dangerous item. :)
Specify. What kind of dangerous item? One that can kill? One that can block? Posion? Randomize? Something else?

Freshmaniscoolman: Mind if I shorten your name to "Fresh" for easier typing?
Let's say you've a protect - under what circumstances are you going to pick your target, and why?
I don't understand the question.
What she asked: if you had a protect, how would you choose who to protect and why.

Stop being lazy and play.

IG:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Do not post things like this. As long as you don't go for more than 24 hours (not counting weekends) without posting (and posting something useful, not just doing posts like the one in the quote), you shouldn't worry about lurking.

Tiruin:
Tiruin: Are you scum town?
Why yes, yes I am.

Why are you asking me this?
It was 00:50, I was half-asleep, had a headache and thought it would be witty (it was not).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2013, 09:20:27 am »

Vote Count:

The Soldier:
notquitethere: Vector, Urist Imiknorris,
Vector:
Captain Ford:
Hapah:
Urist Imiknorris:
Deathsword:
Zrk2: Captain Ford,
Leafsnail:
Imperial Guardsman: Leafsnail, Tiruin,
Tiruin:
alamoes: The Soldier,
Freshmaniscoolman: notquitethere, Deathsword,

Not Voting: Hapah, Zrk2, Imperial Guardsman, alamoes, Freshmaniscoolman

Day 1 will last until Thursday, 3/28 at 11 PM EST.

Please do not edit your posts.  If you made an error, just double post- it's perfectly acceptable (and preferred.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2013, 09:27:00 am »

When did I vote the first time? Anyways, I'll vote for the soldier, since he is voting for me. 

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2013, 09:29:32 am »

Hm?  You weren't listed as voting.

If it's not clear, the count is listed this way:

Person:  People who are voting for them
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2013, 09:32:34 am »

I get it now.   :P

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2013, 09:40:50 am »

Hapah, I like to address everyone in the random vote/question stage. In one of my previous games a player took umbrage with this. Is it better to focus on one or a handful of individuals at the start, or try and talk to everyone?

Zrk2, I see that in BYOR 8 you rolled Wikipedia Updater; let us imagine we discovered the items that two players had: should we be more wary of the one that has a very powerful one-shot ability (like Wikipedia Updater) or the one with a lower-powered multi-use ability? That's a very general question, but I'm trying to get a feel for your sense of risk.
Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
Leafsnail, following up on your question to Imperial, my non-exhaustive evidence from the games I've played in shows that scum almost always employ some kind of distancing (by random voting one another or FOSing throughout the game), but often that distancing is asymmetric: Scum A will vote for Scum B who will vote for Scum C but not Scum A. This was certainly a pattern town could have seen in the mason game if they'd bothered to look. Are there any more obvious signs of distancing?

alamoes
When did I vote the first time? Anyways, I'll vote for the soldier, since he is voting for me. 
Do you know about the concept of 'OMGUS', or 'Oh-My-God-You-Suck'? Basically, it's seen as bad form to vote someone merely because they voted for you. The reasoning is, it's a certainty that town are going to accidentally vote for town; if all town players mainly voted people that voted them back, scum could easily slip by unattended.

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2013, 09:43:14 am »

I don't know why you imply I'm being lazy. In my opinion, the questions don't really make sense at all to me.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2013, 09:52:18 am »

@_@

Nooooooo...

If Dariush was here, his BP would be rising well over the 100s :P (Really, miss you Dar. Sincerely.)

Anyway, this is your first post, bro. What'cha gonna do with it? Blatantly OMGUS - read the BM... - or at least ask questions to show you care?

Squandering your vote would lead to nothin' good, sir. Lesee, why exactly do you want to vote Soldier - because he's voting you. Why?

Yup, sorry, I edited because the format was messed up, plus I deleted a question that wasn't mine.

do you think it's better to pressure just one target at a time, or pursue multiple target simultaneously?

One target at a time

Also, how would you use pressure, and in what way are you giving it as your first post contains nothing but answers...and a really bad edit.

Answer is above. And, nothing is really being said to me but questions, so I have nothing to input.

What item would you be most worried about scum having?

Why do you care about that? Perhaps maybe you're asking me to get that specific item and worry me.

::)

C'mon. You evade a question and act all paranoiacally. As evidenced by the last line...I care because (well, ok, The Soldier cares but I'm poking on it) you're...deliberately avoiding a blank question.

I mean, you can answer any damn thing out there Freshman, because it talks about what you fear scum having! Its not like "Oh dear gods, I fear scum have a CLUB OF BONKING!" now that worries me...

Also, what? Thief now? How can you obtain [What] specific item?

Next, use the speechbox button in the reply menu - it gives the
Code: [Select]
[quote][/quote] where you can put replies in it. Bolding stuff...makes it 20% harder to see, really.

PPE: Aw come on. Fast typers.

I don't know why you imply I'm being lazy. In my opinion, the questions don't really make sense at all to me.
Hypothetical questions. They're asking what your opinion is.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2013, 10:05:20 am »

Going to bed soon. I can be very ... quirky when I'm tired.

Unvote. The rock giveth, the rock taketh away.

*throws rock at Zrk2* "Now you!"

Ahh! I quiver in fear of your magical rock.

Mmm...thief of words is an appropriate term with that wordplay, and it still rings correct...

Zrk2: Are you going to actively post now? Also, wielding a roleblock, do you think that alignment would factor in on who or when you'd use that - regardless of the fact that "if scum: know who's town"?

I'll try to. With a roleblock I would save it until push came to shove, and then use it on whoever I deemed the greatest threat. Thus, alignment would not influence how I decide to use it, but it would alter the circumstances that would compel me to use it.

Zrk2, I see that in BYOR 8 you rolled Wikipedia Updater; let us imagine we discovered the items that two players had: should we be more wary of the one that has a very powerful one-shot ability (like Wikipedia Updater) or the one with a lower-powered multi-use ability? That's a very general question, but I'm trying to get a feel for your sense of risk.

I'm generally quite conservative. Seeing as redirects, blocks and whatnot tend to run rampant in role-heavy games I think a less powerful reusable ability would be more useful, especially since even if a oneshot isn't redirected my read may be wrong.

Vector: What role ( in this game) do you think is most useful to town? To scum? To third parties?

Deathsword: What redeeming values do you have?

Alamoes: Do you remember the Alamo?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2013, 10:22:28 am »

Zrk2: Of all your questions, the one regarding Vector seems to be the most pertinent to Mafia. How will the ones regarding DS/alamoes even help? Also, don't you agree that if you were scum in that alignment question, a roleblock would surely help you - sans any watcher catching you that is - compared to a townie?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 44