Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44

Author Topic: Roguelike Mafia 6 - Sanity Reigns [Game Over]  (Read 96662 times)

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike Mafia 6 - The Cloister of Zodank, God of Madness [Day 1]
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2013, 01:56:29 pm »

PFP

Are there hammers in this game?
Hapah: What's the most dangerous third party, and what would you do to stop them?
I believe the most dangerous third party to be the one you don't know is there. I'll elaborate on this after work.

Fresh, I wouldn't say it was impossible. I'm pressuring you on this point, and, if you'll look above, I have the beginnings of pressure on other players (such as Urist). You can't pressure vote two people at the same time, but you can apply pressure by following up on their responses.
It looks to me that your non-Fresh questions don't have much pressure at all.

freshmaniscoolman: What item would you be most worried about scum having?
Any dangerous item. :)
Specify. What kind of dangerous item? One that can kill? One that can block? Posion? Randomize? Something else?
I agree he should be more specific, but the item list isn't required reading.

Hapah, I like to address everyone in the random vote/question stage. In one of my previous games a player took umbrage with this. Is it better to focus on one or a handful of individuals at the start, or try and talk to everyone?
I don't think there is a "wrong" answer, but I'd say focus on a handful is the better option. You can either throw everyone a line and hope that something interesting comes back, or focus on a few and make something interesting surface. What do you think?

Vote:freshmaniscoolman

dodging questions, suspicious, etc

i really think he might be scum.
Just put his name in red, no need to muck about with the "Vote:" part.

Zrk2 is right though, your arguments need to have some meat to them. If you think someone is scum, you've gotta paint the picture so everyone else can see it. Reasoning is good, examples are better.

PPE (Pre-Post Edit for you new folks): Yay, examples! Can't look now, gotta get back to work.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2013, 01:59:29 pm »

Imperial Guardsman.

Has answered no questions, asked no questions, suspicious, etc

I really think he's not trying.

PPE: Hmm ... I guess that counts as an answer.
-_-

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2013, 02:07:33 pm »

fresh. If  you were scum ( which i think you are ) what class would you be?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2013, 02:22:23 pm »

There are no hammers in this game.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2013, 02:23:31 pm »

Imperial Guardsman.

Has answered no questions, asked no questions, suspicious, etc

I really think he's not trying.

PPE: Hmm ... I guess that counts as an answer.
-_-
IG, if you really think he is scum, then why aren't you asking more? Why don't you give us examples? With quotes. This is not real-life or SC2 mafia. You are expected to put effort in your posts, in your accusations. Posts like the one you did are extremely scummy. The simple presence of "etc" proves that you put absolutely no effort on that post.

Once Freshman answers, how will you use the information such an answer provides to determine if he is scum or not?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2013, 02:31:00 pm »

I know it may be bad form, but who would you guys rather me vote against?  He's going down regardless, it seems.  If enough people give me a good reason to vote otherwise I will change my vote. 

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2013, 02:33:22 pm »

PFP

Never let others dictate your vote. Put it where you think it needs to go.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 26, 2013, 02:35:18 pm »

PFP

To expand: Do not be passive. Do not let others tell you who to vote. If you are unsure, choose someone (at random if you have to) and question. If they feel town to you, question them some more while moving on to another player.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 26, 2013, 02:44:30 pm »

Okay, I guess I'll keep it at that then. 

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 26, 2013, 02:45:40 pm »

I know it may be bad form, but who would you guys rather me vote against?  He's going down regardless, it seems.  If enough people give me a good reason to vote otherwise I will change my vote.

PFP

Exactly.

However, before we jump down the throats of the newbies it may be a good idea to consider their actions in light of the fact that they are new, and not lynch them for "scumtells" that are simply newby mistakes. While I generally am not opposed to lynching the least productive person D1, because there is nothing else to really go on, in this case I think it may be uncalled for.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2013, 02:50:43 pm »

PFP

I'm glad you know it's bad form. I'd like you to vote the person you find most suspicious, so I can get an idea about what's going on in your head.

He's going down regardless, it seems.
Who is "he"? Do you think he's scum? If not, then why are you content to let him go down?
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 26, 2013, 02:52:38 pm »

PFP

Yup, you've got the meat of it Zrk2 (how in God's name as I supposed to abbreviate that? It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, lol). The new guys and gals will make all kinds of slipups and goofs, but that's just part of the experience; we've all been there.

alamoes: That's the spirit! Who do you suspect right now, and why?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 26, 2013, 02:57:52 pm »

Quote from: Dakarian's Scumhunting Bible
A VERY rough sketch of how a scumhunt is done (to help those who aren't sure now).
Step 1: When you have no suspicions on anyone, pick someone at random (I MEAN random.. some use Random.org for this!), take a glance as their past posts, and talk to them, usually with a vote.  The goal is not to kill but to learn more about them.  The vote is a "Pressure Vote", simply used to make sure they don't ignore you.

Step 2: When someone feels 'off' to you: perhaps you disliked their answer, or maybe they scare you, or confuse you with their text.  Perhaps they look fine but your feelings or your gut says something is wrong. Perhaps you see them do one scumtell.  Don't ignore it: make them your target.  Attack them.  Tell them what bothers you about them.  Push them, harass them.  Tell them how scummy they are.  Ask them every question in the book.. and I mean EVERYTHING:

Litia: "You bother me.  Vote Dakarian!"

Dak: Meh.  Why?

Litia: "Because you bother me.  Why are you pushing me off as if it doesn't matter?"

Dak: "What? No, you just have nothing on me."

Litia: "You're voting for Vector.  why?"

Dak: "He looked scummy.."

Litia: "Vagueness is a scumtell!  "Scummy.. how is he scummy!"

Dak: "He just is.. you don't have a reason to go after me either."

Litia: "OMGUSing now Mr.Scum?  Being defensive?  You also didn't answer my question!"

Note, this is Step 2: Litia doesn't feel like she knows Dakarian is scum.. just had a 'feeling'.  She has no hard evidence, nothing real.  The questions are to add pressure.. make Dakarian crack and panic.  If you did it right, they WILL town or scum.  WHEN they do, you will be able to see more of their true self.  From there, decide if you can find them as scum for truth.  If you don't: pull out and go to your next suspect: if no one else is there, go back to Step 1.

If you do believe they are scum after that, Step 3:

Step 3: When you believe someone is scum, gather evidence.  Find every scum tell, every sign of their true motives.  Pull more from them.  DON'T LET GO!  Even if the town ignores you or even votes for you because of it, DO IT ANYWAY!  Push, push, PUSH, ***PUSH*** until you have solid proof of what they are.

If you can't find enough to prove them and run out of things to say, check one more time to see if you still feel he's scum, then pull back, look at others (Step 2) but be ready to go back to them at any time.  If your convinced and ready to kill them, Step 4

Step 4: Final step.  It's time to convince the town.  Show what you have.  Push the target so they show more scumminess.  Attack, but do it only to demonstrate to the town what you KNOW is true.  You aren't trying to argue with the mafia anymore.. you are trying to show the town why you are right and Mr.Mafia MUST be lynched.  If you are at this point, only 3 things can happen:

1. The scum is lynched.
2. You are given so much information that you become CONVINCED that the target is town. (no less than CONVINCED.. doubt, maybe, 'perhaps' won't due)
3. You are dead.

That's how a basic scumhunt is done.  One last note on doubt:

Doubt is something that's ok to have but UGLY to show.  If you doubt or have second thoughts, DON'T DISPLAY IT.  If you think "He looks passive but I don't know..."  you SAY "You scum!  Stop being passive!!!"  If you think "He may have a good reason to attack guy really." say "Give me your reasons and stop being vague."

Doubt is something for yourself.  When you have doubt, go back and see if your original ideas still hold up.  If they do or if you find yourself saying "I'm not sure" then go back to the attack until you are sure.  This ain't the USA: we play by Guilty until Proven Innocent here.  Unless you can get yourself to believe they may be honest, keep the attack.

So doubt is ok to have if used right.. but the town does NOT need to hear it.  If you doubt, accuse anyway as if you know.  If you wonder, accuse as if you know it.  If you know the answer, ASK ANYWAY and let THEM answer.  Make them convince you they are town: don't do the job for them.

And that's scumhunting in a nutshell.  Everyone, try to figure out what Step you are on and work accordingly.  Note that you should be almost done Step 1 by the end of Day 1 (though some may be higher by then).  If you aren't, keep random voting and consider an Extension.

If you don't know WHAT you are.. you're in Step 1.  Get to random voting.

Last note: 'Not voting' should only be done when you are doing a quick look over everyone's past.  Otherwise, your vote and your attention should always be on SOMEONE, even if it is at random.

It's best for a lynch to be for a reason reason.. but it's better for someone to be lynched randomly than for no lynch to occur at all.

I'll post more later.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2013, 03:05:18 pm »

Once Freshman answers, how will you use the information such an answer provides to determine if he is scum or not?
I would determine what kind of player he is through the class and study this player further.

The Soldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Mono-Lances
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 26, 2013, 03:22:44 pm »

Waking up to about 20 new posts makes me feel happy inside.
PPE: Make that 40. Wow.

NQT:
The Soldier, given the list of possible player classes (thief, archaeologist etc.) if someone made a roleclaim, would that affect how you thought about their possible alignment?
Spoilered for convenience:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Freshman:
freshmaniscoolman: What item would you be most worried about scum having?
Any dangerous item. :)
I agree with the others, in that you really should be more specific. At the very least, give my a type of item (Blocks, redirects, etc).

What item would you be most worried about scum having?
Why do you care about that? Perhaps maybe you're asking me to get that specific item and worry me.
It's just an RVS question. I want to know how you think, which is especially important because I've never seen you play before.

Also, your fear is unfounded, since there's no way to get a specific item outside of the rare Magic Lamp.

alamoes:
When did I vote the first time? Anyways, I'll vote for the soldier, since he is voting for me.
It's pretty clear you're new, so I'll give you some advice.

- Voting for someone with no reason except "They're voting me" is called OMGUS, short for "OMG U Suck." It's considered a scumtell because it means that you have no real reasons and are simply lashing out. And, if you have no reasons, you aren't paying much attention to the game, which is bad for town. Basically, always have a reason for voting (or unvoting) someone, or you'll be lynched in short order.
- Your natural next question might be "Then why are you voting me in the first place? I hadn't even posted yet." Currently, we're in the random vote stage, or RVS. We ask questions to see how people think and get real discussion started. The vote is for pressure; I don't actually suspect you of anything.

Also, do please answer my questions here. Try asking some questions while you're at it; lazy town is bad town.

Captain Ford: Do you have any suspicions?

NQT: If you could remove one item from the game, what would it be?

Getting this post out before it gets obsoleted by other people.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44