Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 44

Author Topic: Roguelike Mafia 6 - Sanity Reigns [Game Over]  (Read 96671 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike Mafia 6 - The Cloister of Zodank, God of Madness [Day 1]
« Reply #180 on: March 26, 2013, 09:43:02 pm »

Zombie Urist has replaced Freshmaniscoolman.

Vote Count:

The Soldier:
notquitethere: Vector, Urist Imiknorris
Vector:
Captain Ford:
Hapah:
Urist Imiknorris:
Deathsword: Zrk2
Zrk2:
Leafsnail:
Imperial Guardsman: Leafsnail
Tiruin:
alamoes:
Zombie Urist: notquitethere, Deathsword, Tiruin, The Soldier, alamoes, Captain Ford

Not Voting: Hapah, Imperial Guardsman, Zombie Urist

Day 1 will last until Thursday, 3/28 at 11 PM EST.

Vote:freshmaniscoolman

Please put the name of the person you are voting in red.  "Vote Player" and "Vote Player" are both acceptable.

alamoes: How much mafia experience do you have? Do you feel confident about your chances of winning.   

I assume you meant this as a quote, but in this format, this is considered a vote for yourself.  I recommend using quote tags to avoid confusion.

Thanks to zombie urist for replacing, and for Okami No Rei for hopping on the replacement queue!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 26, 2013, 09:46:19 pm »

Can't say I'm surprised. Welcome to the game, ZU. Glad to have you in the queue. Unvote until you get your bearings.

I have had too many pancakes and am going to bed now.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 26, 2013, 09:53:10 pm »

Not-so-beginner's Mafia, Ford.

Unvote.  I need a little time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 26, 2013, 09:53:27 pm »

I swear these things jump whenever I close my eyes for an extended period of time. Blargh.

That one Guardsman
Vote:freshmaniscoolman

dodging questions, suspicious, etc

i really think he might be scum.
You're doing it wrong.

You should put the person's name (or a shorter version of their name, as long as who it is is understood) in red, not the Vote itself.

Also, putting quotes and reasoning along with (as in response to) said quote/post helps identify which you're talking about. Because you're pointing at thin air here.

Alsoalso, you're not giving Freshman something to 'bite onto', per se. Mafia is also of a conversational game. How is this even scumhunting when you're giving a one-way liner?

Also3: How do you think you'll do this when town doesn't even know each other?

AlsoIV: You...seem to have the intention to vote Freshman, but redden the 'Vote'. Then you FoS him...

Err, is there anything you're misunderstanding?

AlsoV:
Imperial: I can see you got my point. Unvote. Now tell me, if you were scum, which of the other players would you want on your team?
People like tiruin, vector, freshman, etc
Y me?

alamoes
I know it may be bad form, but who would you guys rather me vote against?  He's going down regardless, it seems.  If enough people give me a good reason to vote otherwise I will change my vote.
Oh dear. He's going down regardless? Hm. You know, nothing is sound in stone until the day ends (or usually near day end, wherein the votes show where people's thinking lies in who is scum)

Also, why would we persuade you to change your vote - what are you doing about it-...

I need to look over everyone to adjust my vote accordingly.  My internet is very bad today.  I'm just sitting here waiting for posts to load. 

alamoes: How much mafia experience do you have? Do you feel confident about your chances of winning.   

It is my first internet mafia game *ever*.  I believe that I will be executed fairly soon.
@_@

Oh no bro. This is not how you do these things! This reminds me of that first regular game I got into from the BM - died hilariously at D1 as a martyr...even if Martyr wasn't my role.

Dude. You do not do these things. Lynching yourself is a baaaad idea. If you've no information to give (but the possibility that your roleflip = town) then why bother lynching yourself? It. Wastes. A. Town. Weapon. The Lynch.

...Goodness. It took my the entirety of typing the above (and then skimming the following pages) to notice that you're probably quoting and not voting yourself.

Aaaand now you target Freshman because he's being voted by most. Why will you change that later, and on what conditions will you change it?

Why'd you vote him in the first place - y'know, other than that reason.

Sifting back to the everyone else now :/ Sorry newbies, but those caught my eye first.

PPE: Everyone after Ford's nice cake comment. Because cake :L

The Soldier:
Oh Teal. How I miss you. Your glow is as bright, even brighter than the blue. In Darklight you shine, while the board is Core.

Also. Holy- a hell lot of votes land on ZU/Fresh?! O_o

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 26, 2013, 09:58:50 pm »

EBWOP
alamoes

alamoes:
I know that I can win when I'm dead, but it would be no fun if I'm out on the first day.
Fair enough. Also, try not to bandwagon in the future, as it's quite scummy. Would you be happy with Freshman being lynched if the day ended right this instant?

Additionally, you have no votes on you currently. As long as you keep answering questions and start asking them, it should stay that way, so I wouldn't be so worried about being the D1 lynch.

Yeah, I know I'm probably safe, but still, probably is an unsure word.  If Freshman was lynched, I would probably be fine with it, but I'd rather have his answers first.  If he is a town, I'd have my regrets, but still, the game must go on.  And to lynch a random guy is better than not  lynching at all.  I'm still tempted to pull out random.org for that.
Son, you're really being stubborn here.

Why random, when you can scumhunt for information? Why are you probably fine with it - probably because you know he's town and are giving weak reasons to forward it?

And you pull random org because you want to see someone - preferably anyone - lynched? Dear me.

Who are you most suspicious of, at the moment. And what are your general reads on everyone. Be detailed, give a list, and sort. Because you really seem to be going gung-ho on the vote there in a very carefree way.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 26, 2013, 09:59:23 pm »

...That should be alamoes btw.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 26, 2013, 10:03:42 pm »

I'm pretty sure one of my friends from middle school just train'd himself.  I don't intend to request a replacement or anything else in particular, but I sort of wanted to tell someone.

Anyway.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 26, 2013, 10:09:46 pm »

:(

We're all here for you Vector...And in the GD Sad thread too.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 26, 2013, 10:13:57 pm »

Yeah.  Sorry.  I don't want to derail here, but I'm also kind of worried that my performance is going to be sort of weird the next couple days.  And I don't want to make any excuses either, but I figure if I suddenly go weird, I should probably give the explanation first.

Eh.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 26, 2013, 10:28:27 pm »

Rereading tonight.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

The Soldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Mono-Lances
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 27, 2013, 01:57:09 am »

Getting a post in before bed.

Unvote. Gotta let ZU catch up. I'll ask you the same question as freshman, however: what type of item would you be most afraid of the scum having? (blocks, redirects, ...)

Hapah: Makes sense.

Tiruin & Ford: Does the teal text have a meaning? Skimming, I figured it was a link to a post, but I guess not...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 27, 2013, 03:11:52 am »

Tiruin & Ford: Does the teal text have a meaning? Skimming, I figured it was a link to a post, but I guess not...
Tis' me guessing he's substituting blue...which, technically indicates his suspicion. Though, Teal is an informal color :P

@ZU: Same question to you. Let's say you've a protect - under what circumstances are you going to pick your target, and why?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2013, 06:11:22 am »

Hapah
It looks to me that your non-Fresh questions don't have much pressure at all.
I see pressure as an iterative process: I ask a question, and then pressure is applied to the response. Not everyone has responded to me, and of those that have, some of the answers have been reasonable and not given much to sink my teeth into.
Hapah, I like to address everyone in the random vote/question stage. In one of my previous games a player took umbrage with this. Is it better to focus on one or a handful of individuals at the start, or try and talk to everyone?
I don't think there is a "wrong" answer, but I'd say focus on a handful is the better option. You can either throw everyone a line and hope that something interesting comes back, or focus on a few and make something interesting surface. What do you think?
The approach I'm trying this time is to send out feelers to everyone, and follow up more seriously on the more questionable responses. One danger I'll try to be alert to is that with so many players, a danger might be in losing track of whether someone has properly replied or not.

The Soldier
Thanks for clear response. If I've understood you correctly, if we discover somebody picked Warrior, then we'd have very good grounds for suspicion. Enough for a lynch?

NQT: If you could remove one item from the game, what would it be?
Hmm... let's have a look... maybe the Vorpal Sword? It's a powerful item in the hands of scum. I like it thematically and I'm glad it's included in the game set-up, but I'd hate for scum to actually have that sword.

Leafsnail
This is all valid but why are you answering Imperial Guardsman's question for him?
It was more that I was using your question to him as a segue into a more in depth question to ask you. Which you haven't answered.

Imiknorris
Incidentally, I know this is the RVS, but you do realise that you're the third person to 'randomly' vote me (with none of them unvoting). How many votes would I need on me in the RVS before I start throwing around accusations of bandwagoning?
I don't count votes during RVS.
That's as maybe, but Toaster certain counts votes during RVS. I don't think any harm was intended on your part, but my question wasn't rhetorical: how many votes would a person need on them in the RVS before it was reasonable to suspect bandwagoning?

Vector
Does Dakarian's scumhunting bible really work? It looks like a pretty lousy way of going about things; maybe I'm just not comfortable with so much faked-certainty.

My feeling is that it's difficult [to tell newb flails from scum tells], and honestly easier if whoever's playing is pretty self-conscious.  In that case, it's easy to differentiate, because you can beat the scumtells out of townie noobs pretty fast.  People who don't care... you pretty much just have to lynch them, or hope that the scumteam is experienced and impatient enough to take 'em out (looking at Pandar's Org NK in NSBM).
Looking at our more flailing friends in this current game, are there any stand-out features which suggest newb-town over newb-scum or vice versa?

Zrk2
I'm generally quite conservative. Seeing as redirects, blocks and whatnot tend to run rampant in role-heavy games I think a less powerful reusable ability would be more useful, especially since even if a oneshot isn't redirected my read may be wrong.
Given the nature of the set up, how much should we trust the results of Inspects?

Imperial Guardsman
Could you answer this question please.

alamoes
Can you confirm that you understand the concept of OMGUS, as per my explanation here?

zombie urist
Why'd you think Fresh bailed out?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 27, 2013, 06:24:24 am »

NQT:

I don't know, maybe I'm just posting stuff for shits and giggles!  I'm sure that fucking up the newbies with my three years of experience is the best use of my time.  No, wait--I'm sure that I haven't thought through optimal playstyle for beginners at any point, and that I don't reflect on what I'm posting before I post it.

Humility, dear.

On the other hand, that style is Dakarian's style.  It is not the style that I play, nor is it a style I even can play all that coherently, but I do think it is the most direct route into playing this game well.

No, I don't know who of the newbs is the most scummy or not scummy right now; the battle in the middle of the scene isn't always the most important thing to focus on.  So I'm not wasting my computational power on something that everyone else is taking care of anyway.  They don't need 11 ICs.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 27, 2013, 06:42:06 am »

Vector, I think sometime tone can be lost in internet posts. I didn't mean to imply that you were deliberately posting lousy advice or anything like that. It's just, to me, picking a target on an idle whim and pursuing them dogmatically regardless of doubts seems like a recipe for mislynching. Then, I can certainly see the merit in forcing your target to prove their innocence, but from what I've seen most people aren't very good at doing that without digging themselves deeper into a scum hole regardless of their alignment. I guess what I was asking was whether you had any concrete evidence to games where this approach had netted a town win. I don't actually want to waste your time by asking you to trawl back through the archives or anything, just whether there was a game off the top of your head.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 44