Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860019 times)

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - What's that I see on the horizon? Could it be...
« Reply #6090 on: September 13, 2013, 11:20:08 am »

After some quick revision archaeology, it seems this issue predates DDA, woo.
After this change, it SHOULD work as stated, in that you need a roof above you and a roof OR obstacle in each cardinal direction.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - What's that I see on the horizon? Could it be...
« Reply #6091 on: September 13, 2013, 01:26:21 pm »

I personally would love world builder and the like because it'd make getting that 'dream' world up and make it less likely I'll just reset the world when I die.

On a related note, is there a plan to make the start randomized if the game can't find a shelter instead of just putting you in the same place each character in the larger city sizes?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6092 on: September 13, 2013, 01:29:31 pm »

Hell, it'd be great if that was a setting in the world builder. "Start in [building]". Start in houses, police stations, prisons, etc instead of an evac shelter.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6093 on: September 13, 2013, 01:33:54 pm »

I think I just need to start playing again.  The last time I did so was when Whales was still developing it >_>

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6094 on: September 13, 2013, 01:48:54 pm »

I personally would love world builder and the like because it'd make getting that 'dream' world up and make it less likely I'll just reset the world when I die.

On a related note, is there a plan to make the start randomized if the game can't find a shelter instead of just putting you in the same place each character in the larger city sizes?
Yes, we either need to force generation of a shelter, or...
Quote from: Fniff
Hell, it'd be great if that was a setting in the world builder. "Start in [building]". Start in houses, police stations, prisons, etc instead of an evac shelter.
...do this, which we're doing regardless.

We're planning on having themed starting scenarios in addition to letting you pick your starting point.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6095 on: September 13, 2013, 01:50:40 pm »

Vehicles need to be SERIOUSLY rebalanced on the way certain items are damaged, and how shrubs work.  Anything traveling less than ~50 kmph can't get through a shrub, and when it DOES, then any headlights, RV Kitchen Units, Solar Panels, and Welding Rigs are destroyed nearly instantly.  It seems like damage propagates through a vehicle harmlessly until striking the actual parts you care about, even if they're armored.  With roads being so clogged with wrecks, and fields being so full of shrubs, you can't actually use anything larger than a motorcycle without getting it totally ruined.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6096 on: September 13, 2013, 01:51:04 pm »

That's great to hear, Azmo.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6097 on: September 13, 2013, 01:53:35 pm »

Interesting... Probably should start following dev diary I recall GlyphGryph mentioning on the website...

I agree with girlinhat about that, it seems a bit difficult to even traverse a field in anything bigger than a motorbike due to a lone shrub catching you when you fumble with the controls, pretty much rendering that car unusable without needing repairs the rest of the day.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6098 on: September 13, 2013, 01:59:30 pm »

Yea I'll poke at the shrub thing, I was taking a look at it for a bit, but then we ran into an inventory issue that took precedence since it happened pretty constantly.  Also I started studying Baguazhang, so that's Wednesdays gone (4 hrs of kung fu after work, brutal).

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6099 on: September 13, 2013, 02:06:05 pm »

Vehicles need to be SERIOUSLY rebalanced on the way certain items are damaged, and how shrubs work.  Anything traveling less than ~50 kmph can't get through a shrub, and when it DOES, then any headlights, RV Kitchen Units, Solar Panels, and Welding Rigs are destroyed nearly instantly.  It seems like damage propagates through a vehicle harmlessly until striking the actual parts you care about, even if they're armored.  With roads being so clogged with wrecks, and fields being so full of shrubs, you can't actually use anything larger than a motorcycle without getting it totally ruined.

Shrubs: The Carp of DDA.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6100 on: September 13, 2013, 02:07:33 pm »

So, should I download the latest nightly or wait until the next big update? I lost track of the updates because I was playing a character that was doing well, so would it be worth my while to keep downloading updates or would it actually be better if I waited?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6101 on: September 13, 2013, 02:10:54 pm »

Do you know what is worse than bushes?

Bushes with landmines in them.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6102 on: September 13, 2013, 02:15:46 pm »

Shrubs: The Carp of DDA.
Hah, sure.
Until we have Carp at least, and zombie carp.

actually...
<.<

>.>

Planning on doing a release this weekend.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6103 on: September 13, 2013, 02:16:08 pm »

Bushes themselves are pretty brutal, but the destruction of 'fragile' vehicle items is really annoying as well.  Any impact anywhere in the vehicle pretty instantly destroys your most vital items.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6104 on: September 13, 2013, 02:21:24 pm »

Yeah, +1 to the bushes thing. Even with a plated crash bar, I have to coddle a bus-sized vehicle to keep things from breaking. I could see impacts from intact vehicles and buildings working that way, but as-is you either drive very slowly overland or manually clear all the chassis and broken down cars from a road to get anywhere.

It might not be as bad with the welding rig, but I haven't found one and apparently can't make one yet, either. Is that electronics skill?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 1086