Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859802 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - What's that I see on the horizon? Could it be...
« Reply #6105 on: September 13, 2013, 02:50:42 pm »

So, should I download the latest nightly or wait until the next big update? I lost track of the updates because I was playing a character that was doing well, so would it be worth my while to keep downloading updates or would it actually be better if I waited?

Yeah, I've actually never figured out where to look for whatever updates have happened since I last downloaded the 'current' experimental.

Forget creating a new world, I've reached the point where I often download the most recent build each time a character dies  :P

And then I play spot the changes, and wonder if it was something new since my last game or if it's been there for a while and I just never encountered it before.

Fun as that is, and it is fun - I would enjoy looking at an actual changelog too.  Is there a link to it?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - What's that I see on the horizon? Could it be...
« Reply #6106 on: September 13, 2013, 02:57:40 pm »

Changelogs tend to be brought up to date and released with every "official" version - the experimental version has a commit list, but that's the best you'll get. (see the github logs)

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6107 on: September 13, 2013, 06:47:53 pm »

Question about shopping carts... how the hell do I actually move a shopping cart around?

Edit: Nevermind. G for Grab!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 06:54:16 pm by Vorbicon »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6108 on: September 13, 2013, 08:01:13 pm »

There's nothing quite like an armored camper with a full pantry, 3 full gas tanks, 3 charged batteries, 2 full water tanks, 2 steel jerrycans full of gas, stocked with drugs and medicine and clothes and electronics... heading out from the first town. Also, the personal satisfaction of draining two gas stations completely dry.

It really feels like the game completely changes at that point.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6109 on: September 13, 2013, 08:11:44 pm »

Okay, the SDL version is working nicely at this point.

I'm not a huge fan of a tileset for Cataclysm, I mean, since the tiles are so small anyway, I don't feel like it makes the game any easier to read. So I turned it off and started playing right away.

Liking what you guys did to the game so far.
I was honestly very skeptical with the kickstarter and all, and I'm not anymore.
Keep up the good work.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6110 on: September 14, 2013, 12:13:36 am »

I think I found a couple of bugs. Using the Android trait, I found that:

-Power Storage Mk. II doesn't increase the maximum amount of power you can have. Also, typo.
  -Solar Panels is either incredibly slow or doesn't work.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6111 on: September 14, 2013, 01:46:53 am »

Any advice for my predicament?
My first day went by and I went to sleep and when I woke up, the house I slept in is completely surrounded by animals.
A bear and wolves to the south. Jumping spiders, more wolves, and coyotes to the north. Cougars and wolves to the east. Cougars and, you guessed it, wolves to the west. I've got a gun, but no gun skill. I've already popped a cap into a cougar, but I don't think I have the ammo to kill them all.

EDIT: I feel like I should mention that this house is surrounded by non-radioactive craters and the rest of the town is to the south.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 02:01:59 am by Jack_Bread »

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: September 14, 2013, 02:04:27 am »

Lure them into the house, set it on fire, then run? Other then that, wait for night and try to make a break for it?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: September 14, 2013, 02:09:34 am »

My first day went by and I went to sleep and when I woke up, the house I slept in is completely surrounded by animals.
A bear and wolves to the south. Jumping spiders, more wolves, and coyotes to the north. Cougars and wolves to the east. Cougars and, you guessed it, wolves to the west. I've got a gun, but no gun skill. I've already popped a cap into a cougar, but I don't think I have the ammo to kill them all.

EDIT: I feel like I should mention that this house is surrounded by non-radioactive craters and the rest of the town is to the south.
The spiders are really the only thing I could see being too troublesome. As long as you give the wolves, cougars, and bears a 5 space or so berth between you and them you should be fine. Also IIRC having a lit torch can help to keep them away from you.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: September 14, 2013, 02:11:01 am »

Check the house for clothes with slashing protection. You want high coverage of torso, arms, legs, and if possible head/face/eyes.  Smash up a table or bookshelf to get a two by four (You may need to smash a chair first to get a heavy stick, or a window if you're feeling brave). Close all the doors and windows. Open one window and wait inside the house for an animal to try to climb through it to get to you, then club them on the head with whatever stick or 2X4 you found. Windows incur a movement speed penalty, so you can get some good hits in relative safety. Wolves, coyotes, and cougars are safest. Don't mess with the bear.

If anything is actively hostile and tracking, you may have to dive through another house to shake them. If there's somehow no furniture I believe you can stab things with the pocket knife but that's a last resort.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: September 14, 2013, 02:31:25 am »

Lure them into the house, set it on fire, then run? Other then that, wait for night and try to make a break for it?
The house I'm trapped in is my current base and it's really secluded from the rest of the town, so I'd rather not.

*snip*
Funnily enough, I got a thick skin mutation from a mutagen I drank earlier and with the gear I've got on me, I think I have plenty of cut protection.
I'll try killing them to the windows with my crowbar, now. The only direction there are houses in, though, is to the south, where there are two bears.

EDIT: I snuck out and killed a coyote on the way. I wrapped around the houses and looted a house and found some cars which I siphoned fuel from. I refuel this working car that I had nearby and the animals around my base left. I drove my car into a horde of zombies and had to drive out of there when these smokers came. Then I ran over several spiders around my house. This car is missing a wheel and one of the windows is busted. Now I'm trapped in my house again because of a wolf spider that's stalking me...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 02:50:59 am by Jack_Bread »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: September 14, 2013, 03:42:00 am »

The trick to killing wolf spiders is to hit them first- so lure it through a window and maybe take some relevant drugs before hand so that your first hit has maximal impact. Unfortunately, you can't trick them into walking over burning tiles like zombies, but you could bust down a door in the house and start making some nail board traps. They don't do masses of damage but they do ensure that when the spider gets to you it's already lost a bit of health.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6117 on: September 14, 2013, 05:14:23 am »

that's stalking me...

Consider carrying rocks.  In times of peace, or while safely barricaded, throw a few.  Even at the ground next to your feet.

Pick up, throw again.  Pick up, throw again.  Practice a bit.

Once your throwing skill is 2+, keep around 4-6 throwable items.  Rocks work, but so does most anything light enough and dense enough.  Still use windows, bushes, whatever as a barrier right in front of you, but start chucking stuff when the enemy is about 3-5 squares away.  Bash them once or twice once they're next to you and on that barrier, or just throw another rock or two once you're skilled enough to do serious damage with projectiles, and you might be pretty safe.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: September 14, 2013, 05:39:43 am »

Can i attack nearby zombie somehow like in df with A?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6119 on: September 14, 2013, 05:57:48 am »

Walk into them.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 1086