Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859998 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - What's that I see on the horizon? Could it be...
« Reply #6060 on: September 11, 2013, 11:09:17 pm »

Yep, I know as much.

However seeing the extent or severity of how some wounds come..well. It's like more than the human body.

Imagine 3rd degree gasoline burns. Or healed-zombie-infected wounds.

:P

I may be letting out a tiny spoiler on the lore here..
   I look at it from the perspective of how many ingame days a season is. By default its only something like 14 days. The shorter seasons of fall and winter take 88 each. This means each day when compared to the real world is something like a week.

Edit: For exactness sake in fall and winter a day is 6.285714 repeating and summer and spring which have 92 days in them would be 6.571428 repeating (in the northerner hemisphere at about the area of where America sits with a good bit of variances of course)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 11:12:23 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - What's that I see on the horizon? Could it be...
« Reply #6061 on: September 11, 2013, 11:23:18 pm »

Did you remove the first engine?  I believe you need ~8 skill to install a second engine.

Argh, I knew it was something simple. I probably asked about the same thing last time I played, too.
*sigh*

Thanks. Time to hack up more cars.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6062 on: September 12, 2013, 02:59:16 pm »

So one of the people who commented on a recent video of mine just brought up a good point
What I found weird is that you can know if the enemy saw you because the cardinal direction becomes red, IF he is outside the screen. But when he is inside there's no warning.
So uh, what is up with that? It is quite weird as he pointed out and seems like if anything the opposite of how it would work.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: September 12, 2013, 03:10:33 pm »

I think its just that way because if you can see the part of the screen it is in you than can react but if you cant see the part of your vision it is init gives that compass so you can run from it.

In other words, if you can see all your dude can then you will never get a compass.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6064 on: September 12, 2013, 03:37:19 pm »

In that case I just gotta say 'it's a game let it happen'.  I personally don't want to have to seek medical attention EVERY TIME I get a deep bite or a bleeding wound...

That said, I would like to see wounds add up a general injury meter. Your health is restored, but if you keep getting your arms and legs almost chewed off, it should start hurting you after some time until you give it proper rest.
Nerve trouble, scar tissue and infections should help with these.

And well, you could add stress/partial fractures to bones. Some sort of very slowly healing fracture, with no bad things on it's own (Save for some pain maybe), but increasing the chance the limb breaks if hit again.

It's also fairly easy to explain the rapid healing with mandatory nanobot injections. Also gives a decent explanation why radiation results in mutations. The Nanobot reads it's reconstruction information from your Dna, so when it mutates to much, it suddenly perceives to detect quite a lot of wounds, which it "repairs".
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 03:40:48 pm by 10ebbor10 »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6065 on: September 12, 2013, 03:44:42 pm »

Actually, there's already an explanation of why radiation results in mutations.

You aren't the thing the radiation is effecting when that happens, because you aren't the thing capable of causing spontaneous mutations in response to environmental stimuli.

All radiation does to the player character is give them radiation poisoning. The mutations come from it's effect on... something else...

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6066 on: September 12, 2013, 03:48:01 pm »

All radiation does to the player character is give them radiation poisoning. The mutations come from it's effect on... something else...

I'd never thought of it that way. Thanks, that's oh-so-comforting to ponder...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: September 12, 2013, 03:49:31 pm »

After surviving for more than five days for perhaps the first time I've figured out the trick to playing this game.

1. Be able to reliably kill zombies before they can get a hit in. If you rely on dodging or armour you're asking for a downward spiral.
2. Keep all the junk you want to lug about in a shopping trolley rather than a backpack: keeps you unencumbered and you can haul more junk.
3. Sleep on a rollmat in a room without windows (like the backroom of shop) with two points of escape.

I took 'Quick' and 'Android' and got the shocking attack and the torsion racquet (that powers up with walking). It's the best starting combo I've ever had: I wield an aluminium bat and the shock attack has yet to run out. Took down a bear in two swings before it even got a hit in.

Question: I'm running a very big city world right now so not many trees to pick from: what's the best renewable source of food for a vegetarian survivor?

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6068 on: September 12, 2013, 03:53:21 pm »

Basically that yea, it's an interface issue of not having anywhere to put it.  I guess we could add a dot or circle in the middle of the compass or something, and light it up if there's a hostile enemy near you?
Part of the problem is that the compass is basically there to mitigate the fact that in the original your view distance was incredibly constrained, so you needed to refer to it constantly to look out for danger.  Also it doesn't integrate that well with shifting your view persistently (with the HJKL keys), since if you shift your view to be able to see a monster it removes that information as you're saying.
Now that I'm thinking of it, it'd be nice to have it turn yellow if you're close to being spotted, I think it has all the info it needs to make that decision already...

RE: Wounds, what I'd like to do long-term is add specific wounds (bruises, cuts, gashes, fractures, etc) and mostly phase out HP.  A subset of the concepts is outlined here: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=448.msg13713#msg13713  So you're not worried about taking 10 HP of damage, you're worried about a "deep cut", that might get infected if you don't take care of it.
At a very high level this is reminicent of how DF handles things, but we don't have a totally rigged-up body system, and don't really want one, so it'll be a good bit simpler in practice.
I know people are concerned about things getting too complicated to handle, a major focus would be on making sure that treating routine injuries wouldn't be a grind.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: September 12, 2013, 04:04:01 pm »

1. Be able to reliably kill zombies before they can get a hit in. If you rely on dodging or armour you're asking for a downward spiral.

(snip)

Question: I'm running a very big city world right now so not many trees to pick from: what's the best renewable source of food for a vegetarian survivor?

Armor works great as long as you layer it and keep it in top shape. My current handyman has gone through most of the game with a nailboard, underarmor, vest rig, trenchcoat, cargo shorts/pants, army pants, tac helm, steel toed boots. If you use the window and bush trick with that, you shouldn't even have to repair often at all.

Renewable vegetation... my best guess would be triffids if you can find them. It doesn't seem like anything else will actually grow right now.

Unrelated question: Anyone know the general requirements to craft an RV welding rig? I haven't found one and really don't want to scavenge a couple cities for 10,000 batteries if I can avoid it...

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: September 12, 2013, 04:07:59 pm »

Does the + layering command effect the layering thing? I've never really understood it much, but since Darkmere mentioned Layering, I thought I'd ask that.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6071 on: September 12, 2013, 04:22:14 pm »

The '+' menu lets you adjust where your various clothing is with respect to each other.  So for example you'll want to have safety goggles worn outside your glasses, and kevlar vest outside other clothes, etc.  When you put on an article of clothing it is placed on top of everything else.  It's an absolute ordering of all clothes rather than layering per-bodypart becase dealing with semi-overlapping layers is a pain, and there's no discernable benefit to doing it that way.

When you get hit, it does proceed from outside to inside through your clothes, at each step there's a chance (based on coverage) for it to absorb some of the damage (based on item material and thickness).  Absorbing damage keeps it from proceeding to your inner clothes and of course your precious body, but causes damage to the clothing itself.

There might be a case for wearing common sacrificial clothing outside rarer but tougher clothes, such as wearing a tshirt over a kevlar vest, I haven't looked into the numeric tradeoffs.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6072 on: September 12, 2013, 04:24:45 pm »

Considering that you can get Tshirts from common drops, you might as well.  If it takes any of the damage to a non-repairable item then it's going good, like anything chitin.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6073 on: September 12, 2013, 05:33:25 pm »

Darkmere, or anyone really, can you even eat Triffids?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: September 12, 2013, 05:33:57 pm »

If you kill them and butcher them, yes.
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 1086