Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859909 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - What's that I see on the horizon? Could it be...
« Reply #6075 on: September 12, 2013, 06:13:35 pm »

Actually, there's already an explanation of why radiation results in mutations.

You aren't the thing the radiation is effecting when that happens, because you aren't the thing capable of causing spontaneous mutations in response to environmental stimuli.

All radiation does to the player character is give them radiation poisoning. The mutations come from it's effect on... something else...

Spoiler: Actual Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - What's that I see on the horizon? Could it be...
« Reply #6076 on: September 12, 2013, 06:40:01 pm »

Actually, there's already an explanation of why radiation results in mutations.

You aren't the thing the radiation is effecting when that happens, because you aren't the thing capable of causing spontaneous mutations in response to environmental stimuli.

All radiation does to the player character is give them radiation poisoning. The mutations come from it's effect on... something else...
Knew it. :D

I was totally wondering how that worked in a way--radiation causing such and such deviations from coming in contact with your cells and. . .

Oho. This is amazing. What happened to you before all this? ;)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6077 on: September 12, 2013, 07:36:49 pm »

Darkmere, or anyone really, can you even eat Triffids?

Yes, like Fniff said, just butcher dead triffids and you get plant material that's safe (though unsatisfying) to eat raw. I believe fungaloids yield something different, but if you get a gas mask and can kill them safely, might as well try and see.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6078 on: September 12, 2013, 08:12:40 pm »

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 08:16:11 pm by Blaze »

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: September 12, 2013, 11:11:20 pm »

Damn it, I can never really play this game because of occasional lag I get. Does anyone know a workaround for this?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6080 on: September 12, 2013, 11:23:12 pm »

What version/OS are you running it on?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: September 12, 2013, 11:40:59 pm »

Playing 7.1-1656, on windows.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6082 on: September 12, 2013, 11:54:07 pm »

SDL (tiles is SDL) or curses? SDL usually works faster on Windows.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6083 on: September 12, 2013, 11:59:44 pm »

Ah, I was playing on curses. Thanks for the info, I'll try SDL out tomorrow.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6084 on: September 13, 2013, 08:49:29 am »

Something is really weird with the way vehicles determine what's inside and outside...  It seems to arbitrarily determine what's in or out, even when all the same conditions are met (adjacent boards and roofs) and not apply them correctly.  Because of this, 2/3 of my vehicle is considered 'outside' and I get acid rained on while in bed.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6085 on: September 13, 2013, 10:27:18 am »

I think the conditions are a roof over your head and "walls" or other inside tiles next to it. Also to note, if a door is open it no longer counts as a wall and thus your no longer "inside"
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6086 on: September 13, 2013, 10:28:38 am »

Right, it just doesn't work that way...

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6087 on: September 13, 2013, 11:06:13 am »

It looks like it only considers the four cardinal neighbors.  You need a roof in your tile, and either a roof or an "obstacle" in each cardinal direction.  Directions are relative to the vehicle at 0 rotation (pointing north).
I think I see the issue.  When looking at adjacent obstacles, it skips them if they're inside, so a board or door doesn't count if it's itself inside.  It really wants continuous roof parts throughout the passenger portion of the vehicle except at the edges.  The large predefined vehicles seem to follow this assumption, but your custom job might not.  Does that explain what you're seeing?
Additionally it caring about the "inside-ness" of adjacent locations means the results can change based on the order in which they're evaluated, which normally isn't something we care about.  It's even possible that installing a new part could ripple across the vehicle and change the inside-ness of a non-adjacent location.  So yea, that part of the rule is going away...
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6088 on: September 13, 2013, 11:10:27 am »

Is there a way to craft steel plating, or do I just need to tear up prefab cars for it?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6089 on: September 13, 2013, 11:11:43 am »

Yeah, getting inside-ness to work is very quirky.  I had ideas that it was reading tiles in order to determine validity and might not be counting certain tiles as valid.  It gets WEIRD when vehicles get 3-wide interiors sometimes...

Iceblaster: Study Fabrication.
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 1086