Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859650 times)

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - What's that I see on the horizon? Could it be...
« Reply #6120 on: September 14, 2013, 07:50:20 am »

So it is not possible to do aimed attacks like with A in df adventure mode?

anyway how can i examine something that is far away from me, kind of with coursor over something etc.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - What's that I see on the horizon? Could it be...
« Reply #6121 on: September 14, 2013, 10:19:38 am »

Once your throwing skill is 2+, keep around 4-6 throwable items.  Rocks work, but so does most anything light enough and dense enough.  Still use windows, bushes, whatever as a barrier right in front of you, but start chucking stuff when the enemy is about 3-5 squares away.  Bash them once or twice once they're next to you and on that barrier, or just throw another rock or two once you're skilled enough to do serious damage with projectiles, and you might be pretty safe.

On this note, knives of any sort (except perhaps butter) make amazing throwing weapons, as they have a chance of dealing cut/pierce damage as your throwing skill increases.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: September 14, 2013, 10:39:02 am »

Once your throwing skill is 2+, keep around 4-6 throwable items.  Rocks work, but so does most anything light enough and dense enough.  Still use windows, bushes, whatever as a barrier right in front of you, but start chucking stuff when the enemy is about 3-5 squares away.  Bash them once or twice once they're next to you and on that barrier, or just throw another rock or two once you're skilled enough to do serious damage with projectiles, and you might be pretty safe.

On this note, knives of any sort (except perhaps butter) make amazing throwing weapons, as they have a chance of dealing cut/pierce damage as your throwing skill increases.
Eh, I prefer to grab a knife and then use it to make buttloads of pointy sticks, which are amazing throwing weapons as well, and they're practically everywhere.

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: September 14, 2013, 11:30:34 am »

I love how the troll misses out on common sense :P

Anyway,
So it is not possible to do aimed attacks like with A in df adventure mode?

anyway how can i examine something that is far away from me, kind of with coursor over something etc.
It's totally aimed, sir.

Only that your 'aim' depends on the skill you have in the type of attack you do (depending on equipped weapon or unarmed combat). With ranged weaponry-the higher the skill, the better your aim.

Also there's a 'look' command. Check the keybindings.

Well i mean some kind of menu that pops out with options to choose where i want to hit that ugly zombie

b_knight286

• Bay Watcher
  • ....huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: September 14, 2013, 12:03:15 pm »

Moving from the troll, I am trying to grind traps.  There seem to be no trap fields nearby, and none of the 4 libraries had even a SINGLE trap book...and I didn't start with it.  Luckily, one of the few dozen buildings I looted had a single bubblewrap.  This is gonna take a while...

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: September 14, 2013, 12:04:49 pm »

How can i put something in the locker?

b_knight286

• Bay Watcher
  • ....huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: September 14, 2013, 12:13:59 pm »

How can i put something in the locker?

Shift D
That's how you drop things onto tiles next to you.  It's also how I put my extra books on my bookshelf, medicine on my medicine rack, that sort of thing.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: September 14, 2013, 12:55:24 pm »

That's pretty much what Roguelikes are about: the win condition is to survive a bit longer than your previous character.

Also, after you hole up, try spending some days inside, eat and sleep well. After you run out of food, the fun should start anew (even if you go hunting, chances are you'll encounter a swarm of fungaloids or similar).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: September 14, 2013, 12:57:35 pm »

Out of curiosity, do you all play with static spawn on or off?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

b_knight286

• Bay Watcher
  • ....huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: September 14, 2013, 12:58:37 pm »

I found an internal furnace CBM.  I can now eat pants.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: September 14, 2013, 01:02:09 pm »

I have a suggestion for a crafting recipe for those who want to have a bunch of throwing knives!(Plus I can't really mod yet so for now this'll have to do)

A crude knife which you could craft with scrap metal and a rock, it wouldn't do much damage to be worthwhile as your main weapon, however with how easy it is the make it, you could easily have a whole arsenal of these to throw at your enemy to either level up your throwing for more worthwhile things, or just to throw and pretend you are Ezio or Altair, or whatever.

I play with Static Spawn on because I find it easier than Dynamic.

b_knight286

• Bay Watcher
  • ....huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: September 14, 2013, 01:06:20 pm »

A crude knife which you could craft with scrap metal and a rock

We already have that exact thing only it's called Spike.  What's the throwing damage on those?  Someone do some science.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: September 14, 2013, 01:06:57 pm »

Spikes are useful for something?! HOW DID I NOT KNOW

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: September 14, 2013, 01:08:43 pm »

Fairly certain the damage for throwing spikes is very low if not 0 due to 0 weight.

Making it weight even 1... stone? would make it much more useful, especially since it's metal so you can throw it with the railgun CBM.

It's a fairly quick hack by editing the json too.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: September 14, 2013, 01:21:26 pm »

Static for now. After I get a bit more practiced at the early game I'll probably switch to dynamic and try a forest-based survivalist character. Not having a vehicle early should complicate things nicely.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 1086