Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859752 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

Well in that regard the tone is that it is a game and not a survival simulator (like Unreal World), and guns are less complex then vehicles.

I'd only like it if you have a very high change of making a gun that will defect and explode in your hands.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Problem is, most manufactured guns are designed to fit themselves perfectly.  You can't take the barrel off one pistol and slap it onto another, even of the same caliber, because they're just made to fit differently.  Like car tires.  You -could- make a tire from a different car fit, but the bolts and nuts likely don't match and any piecing-together would have to be welding and weirdness.  Guns would be even weirder to try and force together...

What we really need, I think, is handmade firearms that are more productive.  Instead of having single-shot pipe guns, high fabrication should enable you to make at least bolt-action guns, preferably of various caliber.  I'd really like a 9mm rifle that I could build and train skill on!

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Problem is, most manufactured guns are designed to fit themselves perfectly.  You can't take the barrel off one pistol and slap it onto another, even of the same caliber, because they're just made to fit differently.  Like car tires.  You -could- make a tire from a different car fit, but the bolts and nuts likely don't match and any piecing-together would have to be welding and weirdness.  Guns would be even weirder to try and force together...

I'm not saying it's realistic (although I don't see why you couldn't weld a new barrel on a gun, sure it might be smoothbore and might not even leave the barrel if barrel is rifled incorrectly but heck the basis of a gun works isn't rocket science), but the question should be is it fun. The way vehicles can be created and altered isn't realistic either but it's fun.

Cataclysm isn't a simulator it's a game.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Reminds me of the argument involving rope, it quickly got into the materials, thicknesses, uses, wear and tear, knot types, the amount of length loss due to different knots...  The argument essentially ended when someone said "Cataclysm: Post-Apocalyptic Rope Simulator"

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reminds me of the argument involving rope, it quickly got into the materials, thicknesses, uses, wear and tear, knot types, the amount of length loss due to different knots...  The argument essentially ended when someone said "Cataclysm: Post-Apocalyptic Rope Simulator"

At least they didn't get into the vast variety of nails in real life or why there aren't screws or bolts in the game...
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Hey, to be fair, different types of line have very different properties. While we're at it, there should be a braiding skill that allows you to both braid your own hair and splice lines together, instead of relying on "Survival" for making larger lines.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

I'm here for teh troll.

I saw a Metal Gear mod for Cataclysm, but I didn't download it because the thread had been locked with no posts.

Just to make sure I know what happened to it, he's somehow been banned forty times, he claimed to have made a virus,  Inside a Cataclysm DDA mod called Metal Gear Zombies, he's trolled this thread and insulted The Great, He did a mass troll against Microsoft, and he may or may not still be lurking about.

(Sorry for the question, I'm confused, because my head has trouble processing strangeness in such large quantities.)

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We have been having a persistent troll problem in this thread - if you have been directed to this post, it is probably because he is posting, probably about Metal Gear Solid mod. DO NOT RESPOND, it is a trap. Instead, read the following to understand the situation.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile

Ooh, ooh.  I would propose a third variety to the earlier pair of examples of custom-crafted weapons I presented earlier ('five guns welded together, with simultaneous triggers' and 'The like five different guns taped together by Ripley at the end of Aliens').

Perhaps have a universal sort of 'debuff' applied to all weapons made without, say, the big, powered machinery of a workshop or something?  Like say, if you disassemble a gun, and try to reassemble it, it ends up not fitting as tightly and neatly together, so you have a 'rebuilt' M16 or whatever, which would have an increased jam chance (does Cataclysm even DO jamming and failures like that?  It's been awhile :x), decreased accuracy, etc.  You could process a custom gun at one such work places - steps either abstracted away or tied to what parts make up your gun - to (possibly gradually) remove the debuff, as you tighten the fit and whatnot.

Then, you could add workshops around as a new building type, filled with big machinery - lathes, table saws, and all that stuff.  Have it be like that Red Jacket place on Sons of Guns.  Except, you know - less gun-centric.  Maybe have the same equipment show up in garages and factories - which don't exist presently, but, yeah.

I'm sorta envisioning Metro 2033 and 2034 sorta stuff - it would be crude and less efficient and whatnot, and simply in as an alternative when you can't get a proper weapon, like how the pipe rifle is - or just for stylepoints.

Could be useful for future things, maybe - have Bandit factions toting intimidating-but-stupid things like hexashotguns, or a sorta Metro/Stalker mode like Classic Zombies mode - make proper weapons rarer, arm survivors with cobbled-together weaponry, or something.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Alternatively, this is a world where there is basically everything crazy happening at once, including living plants... How about partially organic mods? It could certainly make things more interesting if your weapons could gain mutation-like traits, with a similar idea of tradeoffs. "Your gun now shoots teeth it grows within itself; you no longer need ammo, but it does slightly less damage, makes less noise, and is radioactive."
Sort of a midpoint between uber-magic/alien artifacts and normal weapons/weapon mods.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:57:33 am by alway »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Alternatively, this is a world where there is basically everything crazy happening at once, including living plants... How about partially organic mods? It could certainly make things more interesting if your weapons could gain mutation-like traits, with a similar idea of tradeoffs. "Your gun now shoots teeth it grows within itself; you no longer need ammo, but it does slightly less damage, makes less noise, and is radioactive."
FUCK YES.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

That of course is a simple system; basically just the same gun mods everyone else was talking about, but with a more theme-appropriate title/description.

A better system which would require more code than a simple item mod would involve changes to allow things akin to Elona's 'living weapon' artifacts. Have them grow/change over time, getting increasingly powerful and dangerous over time; which would basically be a system more in line with the mutation system. Best option would also be to have some process (probably applying some form of purifier to it) to attempt to revert the changes, since otherwise it would eventually render the weapon too dangerous to do anything but leave it in a pit 10 miles from home.

Or if you're particularly bored and want to code something, as part of some new creature's lifecycle, as a sort of unintentionally symbiotic larval stage. After absorbing enough kinetic energy from the weapon, it will burst forth into its adult form [leaving the weapon intact]. Being an asexual sort of fellow, you simply have to defeat your newly spawned living lovecraftian uber-weapon, then cut it up into bits of larval stuff. Ah, the cycle of life. The transition of which, by the way, may or may not happen when you are sleeping.

Anywho; that's a couple ideas to throw out there, which IMO are a bit more theme-appropriate than large numbers of mechanical gun mods just laying all over. And which could even be applied to weapons other than guns if thought out properly.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

I would actually love to play a Post-Apocalyptic Rope Simulator.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

Actually a rope simulator would be interesting but I think it would be better in a game style like the surgeon simulator. A small area where there is a natural setting type of thing with walls blocking you in. You have to work on making rope with the natural things around you. The secret ending is making a really strong rope then escaping the room and killing the alien that was keeping you in that room as a part of his zoo.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

Why is it anytime I pop in and say something, it sparks this huge 2-3 page discussion on the topic?

Am I really that interesting, or is it it's just a coincidence when that happens

Probably a coincedence
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 1086