Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859519 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

Collisions are buggy atm? Hehehhe

I think I found a supporting thing. I just crashed into a building, and drove away from it. Or... is that more Truth in Television(Games this case) than I think?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 04:49:51 am by Iceblaster »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

If the crash doesn't destroy the wheels or engine then you should be fine.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam

I think I found a supporting thing. I just crashed into a building, and drove away from it. Or... is that more Truth in Television(Games this case) than I think?

Into as in clean through the whole thing, or just knocked down a wall?
If the latter, then yea, Truth in Gaming. If the former, Fun in Gaming at the expense of the Truth.
About the only thing that would result from a low-speed hit on a non-solid wall (old brickwork, glass walls, doors, etc.) would be mostly cosmetic.
Might need a new radiator, and the frame might be slightly bent, (depending on depth, new windshield) but the core components would be fine.
About the only thing that would survive truthfully plowing through a whole building is a tank (or tank-like bulldozer ;)) (that doesn't count lucky clear paths that only go through doors :P)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

It 'twas the latter.

That is a very intersting thing...

Yeah my car got totalled on some dumpsters, had to abandon it to get some more wheels from the public works I call home.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Depends on how your vehicle is built.  Whenever I construct the WARBUS the engines are in the back, and the front wheels are 2-3 tiles back from front edge.  The result of this is that it's actually -very- hard to disable the vehicle through straight impact, and I can drive it through buildings cleanly without much problem.  The problems arise when I go through a building diagonally and somehow get parallel parked inside a house.  Then, every attempt to move damages the vehicle.

There should really be a minimum damage for vehicles...  Actually, there REALLY should be.  Zombies can tear down a vehicle if left alone, but it should be such that if a creature's attack or an impact does less than, say, 5 damage, it does no damage.  If it's got steel plating, then 10.  Hard plating, maybe 15.  After all, if we've got triple layer thick solid steel, it shouldn't be possible for bare zombie fingers to ever even dent it!  And it'd reduce the weirdness of 'zero-speed collision destroys armored tanks'.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Yeah, but your warbus does fit the "bulldozer-like tank-like bulldoser" definition. Althgou given the speed at which they burn, cata's wall are made of thin wood and paper, so going through them should be possible.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Still, point is that certain vehicles resist impact better than others.  Modern cars are vulnerable as the engine is literally against the very front, an older or perhaps European car with an engine in the back would survive a front impact better simply because the engine isn't in the crumple zone.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Mmh, burning buildings do seem to work strangely.
I remember in a relatively recent version I smashed through a window while being chased, and lit the curtain and heavy stick on fire in front of the window to hold off some zombies. I was hoping to escape through the smoke and the fact that the fire would damage many of the zombies. So I hung around picking off those approaching until the smoke was thick enough to be impossible to see through, and I moved towards the back of the house where to kitchen was to maybe poke through some cupboards and the fridge before I left the house. Anyway, I was halfway down the corridor when the entire front rooms of the house burst into flames, all at once.
Fire in general seems pretty quirky, but it's most noticeable in buildings.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

Obviously the answer to all this is acid rain. The super power acid rain weakens the house, no they aren't made out of paper and balsa wood but after a few showers they might as well be and because of the way the rain weakens the building causes fire spreads easier.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I lit a school on fire, because I was tired of the children.  (Oh god Cataclysm is terrible when out of, or in, context!)  I stood ~10 tiles away, getting a little warm because I was having a temperature bug that made me progressively colder...  The fire spread over the whole hallway in 1 turn.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Girlinhat, there's a reason 5% of the OOCQ thread content comes from here :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Girlinhat, there's a reason 5% of the OOCQ thread content comes from here :P

What's that?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Funny out of context quotes.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mmh, burning buildings do seem to work strangely.
I remember in a relatively recent version I smashed through a window while being chased, and lit the curtain and heavy stick on fire in front of the window to hold off some zombies. I was hoping to escape through the smoke and the fact that the fire would damage many of the zombies. So I hung around picking off those approaching until the smoke was thick enough to be impossible to see through, and I moved towards the back of the house where to kitchen was to maybe poke through some cupboards and the fridge before I left the house. Anyway, I was halfway down the corridor when the entire front rooms of the house burst into flames, all at once.
Fire in general seems pretty quirky, but it's most noticeable in buildings.

I stood ~10 tiles away, getting a little warm because I was having a temperature bug that made me progressively colder...  The fire spread over the whole hallway in 1 turn.

Real fires can expand this quickly, and quicker.  Granorke's story sounds like how a real housefire can work to me.  Flashover is the term used when essentially the entire space around a fire ignites at once.  When stuff starts to burn, there's flammable, incompletely burned stuff in that smoke.  At a high enough temperature, that smoke starts to burn, and produces incredibly vast amounts of heat, causing the rest of the smoke around to burn and more or less instantly igniting everything inside that expanding area of heat.  Here's a few videos of real life fire doing stuff like this.  The first video especially is similar to Granorke's story, and note that the simulated room is only enclosed on three sides, so most of the smoke is escaping and not building up head and combustable gas like would occur in a normal four-sided room.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/682670/from_living_room_to_inferno_in_under_2_minutes/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FJT2QU-xgM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO3zQXx4gIo

More information about flashovers:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashover
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Imp's right on this one.

Also, fucking smoke inhalation. Don't try to cook anything over a proper campfire in DDA, you'll die.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 1086