Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58169 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #450 on: March 20, 2013, 12:27:38 am »

5 more down. Unfortunately, I can only think of two of them:

Spoiler: The two I remember (click to show/hide)

The Things They Carried was a book for school that i actually kind of liked, as i found it pretty good, especially the fact that the author reveals that only sone parts are factual makes you think. The Way of Kings was better than the first time through, as I caught some MAJOR foreshadowing and info that I missed the first time around.

EDIT: One of them was 'Ender's Game', by Orson Scott Card. An excellent book.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 05:24:06 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 21, 2013, 04:13:33 pm »

Spoiler: 10/52 completed (click to show/hide)

So I'm just gonna take a month to read one book. It's cool.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 24, 2013, 05:17:10 pm »

Oh. Um. I'll try to remember the exact dates here, but it's a little fuzzy.

Re-read Hamlet for the bazillionth time, finished on ~7/3/13. Henry V on ~14/3/13. Sword of Shannara on ~22/3/13. I think that's it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 25, 2013, 12:32:57 pm »

I've read 3 more books, for a total of eight. I'll never reach 52 at that pace ! I've read some of Racine's works ; he's a french theater writer. I don't know what a play of his books will look like, but they are a pleasure to read - everything is in verse, but in a very plain and no nonsense tone, which makes it very enjoyable, giving the text a rhythm and a certain musicality that are very appreciable. It also does wonder for the attention. I wonder what it would look like translated. It must be a nightmare to do so.

Spoiler: the list (click to show/hide)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 26, 2013, 04:31:53 am »

Spoiler: 11/52 completed (click to show/hide)

Even the short book took me almost a week to read. Joy.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 26, 2013, 11:08:02 pm »

Spoiler: 11/52 completed (click to show/hide)

Double post for reading fast.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 26, 2013, 11:18:47 pm »

Two more books down! Crusade and Maelstrom by Taylor Anderson are the two immediate sequels to my previous book, and come in at 380 and 417 pages respectively.

Spoiler: Books Finished 17/52 (click to show/hide)
Total Pages: 8742
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 26, 2013, 11:46:42 pm »

All I remember about his writing was the way the WWII era sailors were instantly willing to "tap that", even when "that" was a child-sized intelligent lemur, because fuzzy boobs were still boobs.  :P

Oh, and the bit about sentient raptors building ironclads.

3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 29, 2013, 11:51:45 pm »

Spoiler: 11/52 (click to show/hide)

Am I still on track to complete my 52?  This is week 11 of 2013 right?  Almost finished with Edible Woman and about to start on Continental Drift, which I've heard is brutal.  I'm scared.

Ringworld Engineers was good.  I liked it more than the original, the exploration of all the various hominids and the more intensive study of how the Ringworld would work was interesting, even if the rishathra was weird.
Shoes...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 30, 2013, 01:06:01 am »

Am I still on track to complete my 52?  This is week 11 of 2013 right?  Almost finished with Edible Woman and about to start on Continental Drift, which I've heard is brutal.  I'm scared.
You are a little behind right now actually. At the moment we will be finishing the 13th week of the year come next Tuesday.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 30, 2013, 03:07:16 am »

I'll try to bring up the list of books for my literature class in the morning. 
In the meantime....let's just say I was rather unsettled when I discovered I'd signed up for TWO reading classes, each of which has its own long list of books. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 30, 2013, 07:08:25 pm »

Puella Stellae Madoka Magica
Snowflames
171,578 words (for the moment)
30/3/13

It's a damned fine crossover between 40K and Madoka, of the 'blend' sort where the 'verse is an AU that contains both sets of story elements. Madoka is the vessel for the GEoM's rebirth. Chapter 19 seemed to be a good stopping point, for reasons that would be quite serious spoilers. It shouldn't work, but it does.

Spoiler: Minor spoilers (click to show/hide)

3. Run Resize Enable

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #462 on: March 31, 2013, 06:43:15 am »

I've definitely slowed down. Only 2 books in the past month or so. Glad I got that buffer in there. Trying to pick up the pace a bit.

Spoiler: First 16 (click to show/hide)

New ones:

Total books: 18
Total pages read: 5258

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 31, 2013, 12:02:27 pm »

Lord of the Flies:
Too bad the first half is so slow. I put it down the first two times I tried to read it. I was, like, twelve at the time, but still.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 31, 2013, 12:12:02 pm »

Spoiler: 11/52 (click to show/hide)

Finished "Crime and Punishment" last week. It was a good book, but very hard to read. Currently reading Jack London's "Hearts of Three"
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 50