Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58170 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #420 on: February 22, 2013, 07:07:43 pm »

I know I read quite a few other books so far this year, but I can't remember which so I'm not marking them down for now.

Spoiler: 12/52 (click to show/hide)

I recently started reading Hollander's version of the Poetic Edda--it's amazing and ridiculous and I love everything about it.  One of the few pieces of poetry where, the moment I started, I felt an almost compulsive desire to open my mouth and start reading aloud. 

I've also started Othello (Shakespeare), Sense and Sensibility (more Austen), and Hard Times (Dickens), but I'm not really concentrating on them; I just read a couple chapters here and there.  My secondary goal is to become familiar with the works of those three authors by the end of this year, as I've been meaning to for the past ... many.

ETA: Please sign me in for 52 by the end of the year.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 07:17:23 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 23, 2013, 01:44:36 pm »

Spoiler: 5/52 (click to show/hide)

Not making especially good time!
Shoes...

Antur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 23, 2013, 01:47:30 pm »

Wish i noticed this topic earlier. Now onto documenting my time-travel related binge.

Spoiler: 4/52 (click to show/hide)

End of Eternity - Annoying main character, fun idea , small plot twist and preaching of idea that's somewhat too relevant today.
Spoiler: Doomsday Book (click to show/hide)
Forever War - Not so much time travel as "time dilation strikes back" but still pretty interesting story.
Johnatan Strange & Mr.Norell - Pure fantasy awesomeness in book form. Napoleonic wars, gentleman wizards all in a setting that's blends together perfectly.

Started reading Blindsight by Peter Watts yesterday, so far it's loaded with a bit too much wordplay for my tates (English is not my native language so it may be just me not the book).

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #423 on: February 23, 2013, 02:14:10 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
14 done now, started on the 15th. Had a nice binge on the Harry Potter series, hoping to get a hold of my Song of Ice and Fire books, as well as my Wheel of Time books and go through those again. Also, needs more Iain M Banks.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 23, 2013, 03:55:19 pm »

The Traitor's Hand
Sandy Mitchell
23/2/13

That's 11. Slowly working my way through the first Shannara book and a volume of Zinn's essays. Just started The Duchess of Malfi.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 24, 2013, 03:59:48 pm »

just finished the Summer Book, by Tove Jansson. My theme is now "books I've been putting next to my bed for years with every intent to read them, but never have."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 24, 2013, 09:39:51 pm »

And after taking a short break for concerts and stuff, I'm back with book number 13 done. Prophecy: Child of Earth (the sequel to my earlier book Rhapsody) comes in at 697 pages, setting me at a total of 6716 pages.

Spoiler: Books Finished (click to show/hide)
Total Pages: 6716
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #427 on: February 25, 2013, 05:50:12 pm »

Going to fit in the Iliad somewhere there if possible, along with Aeneid and Metamorphoses. Just can't get enough of those epics.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 25, 2013, 09:42:52 pm »

Od Magic, by Patricia McKillip. Book number eight. I'm reading more books by her on purpose, because she's my sister's favorite author.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 27, 2013, 01:00:38 am »

Spoiler: 7/52 (click to show/hide)

Sula was good, but also kind of strange.  I'm not sure I quite get everything she's getting at, one thing I seemed to notice was a parallel between the hate of the whites toward the blacks, and the hate of the blacks toward Sula.  Whenever they're hating Sula, there's mentions of parallels -- When they first start treating her like a devil it's partly because she supposedly slept with white men, and it describes how unforgivable this is in the same kinds of terms white people used to describe the converse.  Likewise, at Sula's funeral when they're celebrating her death, it makes a passing mention of straightened hair.

Ringworld was interesting.  It almost felt like a treatise or something.  Like Larry Niven wanted really badly to talk about Ringworlds and luck and all this sci-fi stuff but needed some kind of story to hold it all together.

EDIT:  Do Shakespeare plays count as books?  The Tempest is my favorite, but I've got his entire known body of work lying around, that could really inflate my book count.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:11:46 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 27, 2013, 02:22:04 am »

I'm going to count it... I am really, really slow at reading Shakespeare, and I feel like some of my books are long enough/academic enough that it balances out any unfairness.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 27, 2013, 04:54:13 am »

And book number 14 is done. The conclusion of the Rhapsody trilogy, Destiny: child of the Sky, finishes off the trilogy. This being my second time reading the story I found quite a bit that I had forgotten from the first time that I read it, though I still find the defeat of the Big Bad to still be a little anticlimactic.
Spoiler: Ending details (click to show/hide)
The trilogy is still a fairly good one though, and it certainly is interesting how the author describes some of the ideas from the viewpoint of the main characters who basically have elven immortality (no old age deaths). It's kinda funny to hear them describe a new change to the culture they are dealing with and then make the comment "it should take a few generations to sink in, but that's it".

Spoiler: Books Finished (click to show/hide)
Total Pages: 7551
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #432 on: February 27, 2013, 06:23:22 am »

Finished re-reading the Harry Potter series, started off on Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy again. Will probably look into some of the books reccommended in the thread after that.

Probably should be writing summaries on these, but I'm not good at making words do thing want do.

Spoiler: Done so far 26/200 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:19:23 am by The Darkling Wolf »
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Antur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 27, 2013, 09:46:15 am »

Finished the Blindsight and i'm still conflicted if i like it or not. It raises few good questions about consciousness,first contact scenarios but on the other hand it's all disrupted by narrative pace and  jumping back and forth on random topics. Definitely worth a read though even if it can be a bit annoying at times.

Spoiler: 5/52 (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #434 on: February 27, 2013, 01:32:42 pm »

Let the list of ships commence.

Finished reading the Inferno, sad sadness all around. Dante never sees Florence again and that surreal moment that ends in him looking at the skies with Virgil is bootiful.

Oh and Virgil punches a demon in the face while jumping off a cliff.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 50