Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58160 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #480 on: April 07, 2013, 08:06:37 pm »

One of us, one of us!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 07, 2013, 09:21:12 pm »

Spoiler: 13/52 completed (click to show/hide)

So I just marathoned the Harry Potter fan fic Vector posted.

It took me eight hours to read from the time I opened the first link to the time I closed the last chapter. Doing things is for chumps.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 07, 2013, 11:33:05 pm »

Cranford, by Elizabeth Gaskell. A very quick and easy read, which surprised me a little. Normally I have some trouble with english books from the 19th century. Not much important happens in the book, which I like. Read it at the recommendation of my sister, who also thinks I should read North and South, Wives and Daughters, and everything else written by the same author.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

52 is looking like a very big number right now.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 10, 2013, 08:55:42 am »

So I finished another book, about ancient greek literature. It's from the "que sais-je" (what do I know) editions, which I like and find funny because they decided their books all have to be exactly 128 pages, so if there's too much information, they just shrink the characters' size down.

I'm at nine books now. I should read less fanfiction and more serious stuff !

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 11, 2013, 09:47:56 am »

Spoiler: 11/52 (click to show/hide)

These were both really good.  Edible Woman's about a woman (who knew?!) who gets engaged and gradually loses the ability to eat.  A satire of the way gender and matrimonial roles and expectations fuck us up. 

Continental Drift is about a 30 year old blue collar worker from New Hampshire who sells his life for a dream in Florida and (surprise) it doesn't work out.  Really good and an easy read prose-wise, but occasionally hard to watch.

Old Man and the Sea is on deck, as is Heart of Darkness, The Trial, and another Joseph Conrad story but I don't remember the name The Secret Sharer, but I'm not sure that counts.
Shoes...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 12, 2013, 02:03:28 am »

Spoiler: 14/52 completed (click to show/hide)
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 12, 2013, 05:56:25 pm »

Finished my fourth book.

Frankenstein's Monster, by Mary Shelley.

Why? It's a classic, it's Frankenstein, and my brother had a copy anyways. The book was a very good one imo. Ending was pretty tragic, but the Monster's last words made it all work out in the end. I'm not very good at writing what I think about books. I just liked it.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #487 on: April 14, 2013, 08:40:51 am »

21 finished, and partway through a 40k binge. Also over 10 000 pages read.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 16, 2013, 09:36:20 am »

Finished. Mervyn Peake's Titus Groan is stunning, possibly my favourite work of fiction yet read. It's set in a fantasy world, but there is no magic, or any fantastical creatures. Just the castle of Gormenghast, a cold and lifeless labyrinth full of people equally cold and lifeless following endless ritual and tradition. There isn't any particular hero, either, just imperfect characters that act on their own interests, creating subtle changes within the monotony. No clash between good and evil, just a lot of what most would consider evil.

...sounds pretty depressing, and maybe it is. Definitely hard to get through at parts, but I still loved it. :P It is in fact part of a trilogy, of which I also have the second book (which I'll probably be reading in the coming weeks).

I technically started it sometime last year, so I'm not totally sure I can add it to this list.

Ignore what I said here, I'm putting it in the list. I had only stopped reading it because I'd lost it until recently, and it took me long enough to finish the stinkin' thing. Seems fair enough to me. :P

Spoiler: 2/40 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:39:44 am by Kirbypowered »
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 18, 2013, 12:39:32 am »

Spoiler: 15/52 completed (click to show/hide)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #490 on: April 20, 2013, 07:43:10 am »

Spoiler: First 18 (click to show/hide)

Forgot to add on here that I finished Fight Club (Chuck Palahniuk) a week or so ago. It was as good as it was the first time, and Fight Club still remains the only book where I find the movie based on it to be not better, not worse, but equal in merit to the book. Even the differences - the film version is a better film than the book version would be, and vice versa. Also, the book feels more serious, while the film is very funny (though in a dark way).

Partway through re-reading a few other books now. I have to motivate myself to read more - I was way ahead just over a month ago and now I feel I'm falling behind.

Total Pages: 5457

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 20, 2013, 01:56:36 pm »

Partway through re-reading a few other books now. I have to motivate myself to read more - I was way ahead just over a month ago and now I feel I'm falling behind.
It's not that bad. Come next Tuesday we'll only have just finished week 16, so right now you are still a little more than 2 books ahead.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 21, 2013, 04:36:39 pm »

Spoiler: 16/52 completed (click to show/hide)
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress was amazing, although I'm getting a friend to lend me a handful of easier books because if I keep up with what I'm reading now there's probably no chance of reaching 52.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 12:00:02 am by Realmfighter »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 22, 2013, 04:05:55 pm »

Two more books finished (it was a relaxing weekend :P) both by Terry Pratchett. Pyramids, coming in at 323 pages and Wyrd Sisters, coming it at 265 pages. Both of them had me laughing out loud at times, and I highly look forward to reading the other 5 books or so of his that I picked up at the same time as these.

Spoiler: Books Finished 20/52 (click to show/hide)
Total Pages: 9687

And for all of you who are tracking your progress come tomorrow you should be finishing your 16th book, so if you're ahead of that then congratulations but if you are behind then you might need to pick up the pace!
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 24, 2013, 11:15:11 pm »

Spoiler: 12/52 (click to show/hide)

This book was interesting.  From the back of the book, its trade paperback appearance, and some first impressions, I was expecting cheap horror/thriller fare.

Holy fuck was I wrong.

It took a while to hit, but when it hit it was bad.  I was so jarred from my original expectations that I initially hated the book, feeling like it was a pointless sucker punch.  After a while I started to like it though, once I'd reorganized my perception of what the book was.

Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 50