Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58171 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #435 on: February 27, 2013, 11:02:13 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

5/26 - kinda lagging behind but at least it's still more than I do other years.

Checklist Manifesto is more a narrative than a kind of guidebook to checklists, which surprised me a bit.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 11:46:26 pm by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 27, 2013, 11:09:43 pm »

Finished The Duchess of Malfi. I'm possibly going to have a chance to see an American Shakespeare Center performance of it (as well as Twelfth Night, and for $5 each no less!) soon, which has me feeling all tingly with anticipation. The final two acts are quite the spectacle. I suppose strangling children on stage has that effect.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 27, 2013, 11:53:11 pm »

Spoiler: 9/52 completed (click to show/hide)

Cheated off palch because palch is a cool dood and Blue Remembered Earth looked cool.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 28, 2013, 01:29:22 pm »

Spoiler: 9/52 (click to show/hide)

God, this was a tough one.  A lot of books are used as vehicles for a message, but this book took it to an extreme.  There's nothing written here that isn't contributing to some kind of overarching message.  Like Hemingway sparseness.  If you're reading this for the story of a dude and his family you're going to be very bored and very disappointed. Interesting though, stuff about cultural identity, nationhood, science, aesthetics, ridiculously information-dense for such a short book.

Over my weekend I'll be reading The Metamorphosis and Ringworld Engineers because Ringworld ended way too abruptly and I need some kind of continuation, if not because I liked it (I did, mind you) then because it can't just end like that.

After that, Native Son and whatever else I pick up at the local cheap-as-free bookstore.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:26:55 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Antur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 07, 2013, 12:28:14 pm »

Spoiler: 6/52 (click to show/hide)

Well Diamond Age was not as fun as Snowcrash at least for me.I couldn't care less for most of the characters in the story and i'm still baffled what exactly technology could and could not do in the setting.

Now i need to get back into some polish books, so i started reading "Sieć" Bogusława Wołoszańskiego.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 09, 2013, 01:48:08 pm »

Updated my list, if anyone cares.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 14, 2013, 07:49:56 am »

The Promised Land, Mary Antin. All about immigration.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 14, 2013, 09:14:23 am »

Thanks to jury duty and associated sitting and doing bugger all, three more down. Both Incryptid books from Seanan McGuire (recommended strongly to those who liked the October Daye series) and the latest Iain M Banks.
Non-struck-out are the ones I'm reading now/next. Blackout is going to be over the next few weeks in painful slow motion, The Steel Remains is my main focus.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 14, 2013, 10:26:00 am »

10/52
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 14, 2013, 04:59:18 pm »

Finished Crime and Punishment last night. Whishaw translation, I think. Every bit was good, but it was a task of trudging to get through. The ending was amazing, having read the entire thing, if not great on its own. Especially liked the relatable characters.
The grammar is really weird, by the way. Comma usage is crazy, mostly in sparsity. Typographical errors left off many start and end quotation marks. The word "latter" used very vaguely. And characters are referred to interchangeably by their first two or last names, even when never introduced by one.

Before I started the former, I read Anthem, by Ayn Rand. 'twas interesting. Not a novel by far, but worth noting. I do not worship Rand.

Working on The Hunger Games now. Afterward, I think I'll reread A Song of Ice and Fire - I tried a half year ago to read the newest book, but couldn't get past 100 pages.

Spoiler: List (click to show/hide)

Definitely not making the 52 goal at this rate. But there's plenty of year left, and Crime and Punishment is thick.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #445 on: March 15, 2013, 01:52:19 pm »

Do it. I dare you. But by Zeus, you'd better finish the Iliad's Catalogue of Ships or you can't count it.
Catalogue of Ships
Well at some point I passed the catalogue of the ships. I really was expecting something horrific, long and bland but it surprised me. From Ancient Greek context it was like hearing a roll call of every city state's culture, their epithets, their heroes and their idols.
I even enjoyed it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 16, 2013, 11:20:42 pm »

Spoiler: 10/52 (click to show/hide)

Native Son was really good.  A black kid in Jim Crow America finds life so circumscribed that he can only create meaning for himself through violence.
Shoes...

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 18, 2013, 05:36:29 pm »

Finished Crime and Punishment last night. Whishaw translation, I think. Every bit was good, but it was a task of trudging to get through. The ending was amazing, having read the entire thing, if not great on its own. Especially liked the relatable characters.
The grammar is really weird, by the way. Comma usage is crazy, mostly in sparsity. Typographical errors left off many start and end quotation marks. The word "latter" used very vaguely. And characters are referred to interchangeably by their first two or last names, even when never introduced by one.

My god, "Crime and Punishment". I'm currently reading it, but I am reading it in Estonian. Yeah, the thing with Russians is that naming them by their first and father's name(the middle one) is quite formal. I really like it how Dostojevski didn't give the characters similar names, which is a problem with Russian names, as most people have the same or very similar names.

Dostojevski is difficult to read, no matter what. I'm trudging through it with difficulty myself.

I also finished "The Great Gatsby" a week or so ago. Excellent book and I really like how it shows that poor Gatsby actually had very little real friends. I can also relate to Gatsby as I feel that I have a danger to become like him, but not for love, but to prove myself to people or to spite them.

Spoiler: 10/52 (click to show/hide)
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 18, 2013, 07:22:25 pm »

Two or three women had their second name Ivanovna, which briefly led to thinking they were related. Overall though, name diversity was great.

The Great Gatsby is a very good book, in part because it's so short that it can be read easily.

EDIT: Because it's not worth a new post.
Finished The Hunger Games. Glad it's over.
Spoiler: No plot spoilers (click to show/hide)

I have been informed that I should read Battle Royale, which The Hunger Games was adapted from is singular proof that Suzanne Collins is an idiot. I will soon.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:19:34 am by Lectorog »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 20, 2013, 12:19:32 am »

So after a long break due to some exams I'm back again now that it's spring break. Into the Storm, by Taylor Anderson, is a very interesting alternate history book. For a basic back-cover summary, a WWII battleship gets thrown into an alternate earth where humans don't exist, only to get caught in a war between two opposing species, The Lemurlike Cats' and the raptor-esque Grik. It's a very good book, with enough historical acting to enthrall the mind and enough fantasy to keep my mind occupied.

Spoiler: Books Finished (click to show/hide)
Total Pages: 7945
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 50