Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Fragile Times: Act I, Scene IX: Hat Trick  (Read 6519 times)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fragile Times: Act I, Scene VII: The Girl of Your Dreams/Hallucinations
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2012, 12:08:27 pm »

Look at the woods and see if there are any ambushes placed.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
Re: Fragile Times: Act I, Scene VIII: Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Wolf?
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2012, 02:13:52 am »

Dsemend walked with the team calmly, slightly satisfied he hadn't been tripping on his own feet for the last minutes. He took out one of the branches and stared at it for some time before turning to Dodson.
"Mister, do you have the tools for crafting a bow and its string?"

If Dodson happens to have those, then craft a large longbow. Or at least the knife, to carve the branch into a bow shape and leaving the obtaining of material for a string for later.
(5)

Dodson looks at you and grins. "We don't have a string strong enough, but that sorcerer friend of yours found my old survival kit earlier today. There should be a knife in there. Just make sure that his damned bird doesn't take one of your fingers off when you try and grab it."
"Don't worry, I'll be careful."

You hold the kargarok's beak closed with one hand while digging through the pouch attached to its leg with the other, and fish out a long hunting knife in a leather sheath. After unsheathing it, you remove one of the sturdy logs from your back and begin to carve it, and you soon have a massive bow without a string. It measures seven feet from end to end, and fits perfectly in your large hands.

"You know what,  think this calls for a song.

She packed my bags last night, pre-flight
Zero hour, nine a.m.
And I'm gonna be high as a kite by then
I miss the Earth so much, I miss my wife
It's lonely out in space
On such a timeless flight
And I think it's gonna be a long, long time ‘til touch down brings me round again to find I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no, no, no, I'm a rocket man
Rocket man, burning out his fuse up here alone
And I think it's gonna be a long, long time ‘til touch down brings me round again to find I'm not the man they think I am at home
Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids
In fact it's cold as hell
And there's no one there to raise them if you did
And all this science, I don't understand
It's just my job five days a week
A rocket man, a rocket man
And I think it's gonna be a long, long time

ROCKET MAN!"

"Yeah. ... What was I doing again?"

"Oh right, I was doing stuff. Hey big guy, uh, mr ... Desmend was it? Could I borrow one of those logs? One you're not using or something?"

Hogarth, after doing his best William Shatner impression, tries to lift the tree Desmend gives him (assuming he does) a la telekenetic weightlifing, to enable him to lift heavy stuff. Also he tries to remember what he was going to do to control his flight.
(5)

Dsemond hands you one of the heavier logs, and you concentrate on lifting it with your mind. It rises steadily off the ground, and it's difficult enough to move that there's no risk of sending it flying off into space by accident. You practice swinging it around, and soon, you find that you can carry it with almost no mental strain. You keep it floating next to you as you continue walking.

*Hogarth's Telekinesis has been improved

Theodore smiles wryly. Double or nothing. He leaned back towards her.
"Sorry ma'am. I still don't quite know if I believe this is real or not. Another one of those should do it though."[/b]
He then noted, with an odd mixture of joy and dismay, that his mind had cleared. He had no clue what had caused it, but he suspected it was either the girl or the magic. Well, after years of a near constant buzz, he was finally back on the wagon. That, of course, was the joy. The dismay was that he was clear headed enough to realize just how bad his line was.
Hope she likes her lines cheesy.
(2)

Alice laughs at your horrible line, and you take this as a sign to lean in for another kiss. As you close your eyes however, you stumble over a root and fall to the ground. Alice laughs out loud, and reaches down to help you to your feet. After pulling you up and helping you dust yourself off, she says "Maybe kissing while walking isn't the best idea out there." You see the logic behind this, and settle for holding hands... for now.

continue attempting to train the kargarok as we travel
(1)

As you walk, you try and train the great bird to come to you when you call it by holding up scraps of food whenever it flies too far away. The kargarok quickly grows ornery however, and knocks you over, eating the few crumbs of remaining food and savagely biting you several times before flying to perch on Hogarth's log. You call it repeatedly, but it only glares at you and hisses angrily.

Look at the woods and see if there are any ambushes placed.
(4) [this roll is for your action]
(1) [this is the encounter roll]

You keep an eye out for danger, and spot a large shape, roughly twenty feet long, charging through the woods towards the party. You takes aim with your musket and fire just as what appears to be a massive wolf bursts forth from the trees.

(5)v.(1)

The wolf tries to leap away from the shot, but slips and falls directly into the bullet's path. The round strikes the beast squarely in one of the front paws, shattering it beyond recognition.

(6)(1)v.(3-1)

The wolf picks itself up and looks for an easier target. Its eyes lock onto Dsemond, and it lets loose a savage howl before limping towards him with surprising speed. The half-oni tries to dodge out of the way, but trips to the ground, and the wolf chomps down on his left arm with an impressive amount of force and shakes it around. Dsemond grunts in pain, but his arm remains attached to his body. The wolf, however, cannot get the giant's arm out of its throat, and begins to choke.

Valinri is going to flee! Fling a globe of darkness behind himself, and run!
(3-1) [for darkness]
(3-1)v.(3) [for running]

You try to create a sphere of darkness between you and the man, but the sunlight is giving you double vision, and the globe appears too far to the right. You turn and flee, but you have to run rather slowly to avoid tripping over obstacles. The commander uses this to his advantage, and catches you by the back of your shirt.
"Where do you think you're going, otherworlder? We've spent weeks looking for that dragon, and you finally got it to reveal itself."
"I'm sorry! I didn't know..."
"There's no need to apologize for helping us out! The bounty on that beast's head was worth a small fortune. My men and I will have all the booze and babes we could ever want when we get back to Vilston!"
"But aren't you imperials supposed to kill otherworlders on sight?"
"Normally, yes. But you've got talent, and I've got something that I need. You see, with all of that money that I'll be getting, I'll be expected to have a gladiator to fight in the pits. And I'm not too fond of the idea of spending my hard-earned gold on some prisoner who can barely fight. So, how about we make a deal? You can fight for me in the arena, and I'll keep you clothed, fed, trained, and most importantly, I won't kill you."

Party Status:

Caerwyn
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spinal_Taper

Xantalos

Caellath

HighEndNoob

Noah Tophatz

Enemies:
Amarok: A monster which resembles a gigantic wolf. It is moderately wounded, and its front right paw has been blown apart (Always attacks last). It is also choking on Dsemond's arm.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 02:19:33 am by Wwolin »
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2012, 02:33:59 am »

Fireball the amarok, aim for the back, then get the bokoblin to grab the whole basic survival kit off of the kagarok
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2012, 03:39:08 am »

"Honestly, a giant wolf out of nowhere? This feels eerily like a game of Dungeons and Dragons. Mr Desmend, if you could do some damage to its throat I'd be grateful; I'll attempt to hold it there."
Telekenetically force the wolf's throat shut around the arm, causing it to choke even more. Ensure it stays on the arm and doesn't bite Desmend, if possible.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2012, 11:25:57 am »

Valinri will turn over his crossbow and darts, then nod and accept the arrangement.

Not going to argue with THIS guy!

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2012, 12:09:59 pm »

Theo turns red for a moment, then continues walking, letting her lead him through the woods. He's suspiously silent however, right up until they reach a clearing. He halts then to try and train for a moment.
"So Alice, why don't we tell eachother our life stories... Ladies first, right?"

"S'cuse me a moment, Alice."
Start assaulting the wolf with magic.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 04:25:39 pm by Spinal_Taper »

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2012, 04:24:16 pm »

Reload my musket and fire at the wolf again.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2012, 10:37:12 am »

Theo turns red for a moment, then continues walking, letting her lead him through the woods. He's suspiously silent however, right up until they reach a clearing. He halts then to try and train for a moment.
"So Alice, why don't we tell eachother our life stories... Ladies first, right?"
((We are under attack.))

Dsemend grunted as the wolf bit down on his arm, which was still damaged by the beast's attack. This world was apparently as dangerous as his home, if not more so. He didn't remember any creature that size around the village he lived in.

And for some reason he couldn't fathom, the giant wolf had attacked him, the biggest target, a very unusual behavior for predatory animals, which preferred to strike for the weaker members of the group instead of fighting the strongest ones.
"I'll see what I can do."

Try to damage the wolf's throat more or reach for its heart.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2012, 04:23:35 pm »

((We are under attack.))
((Oh. I thought Theo was somewhere else. I'll fix that.))

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
Re: Fragile Times: Act I, Scene IX: Hat Trick
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2012, 03:58:25 am »

((We are under attack.))

Dsemend grunted as the wolf bit down on his arm, which was still damaged by the beast's attack. This world was apparently as dangerous as his home, if not more so. He didn't remember any creature that size around the village he lived in.

And for some reason he couldn't fathom, the giant wolf had attacked him, the biggest target, a very unusual behavior for predatory animals, which preferred to strike for the weaker members of the group instead of fighting the strongest ones.
"I'll see what I can do."

Try to damage the wolf's throat more or reach for its heart.
(5-1)v.(4-1)

You use your good arm to pry the amarok's jaws open slightly, and then thrust your mangled one further into the wolf's throat. It swings its head wildly, but you can feel your hand slip slightly farther down its gullet, and it begins to gag even more. A few flecks of blood fly from it's nostrils, indicating that you've caused some damage to its throat.

"S'cuse me a moment, Alice."
Start assaulting the wolf with magic.
(1)v.(2-1)

You stand between the wolf and Alice, trying to prevent the beast from noticing her, and calmly remove your hat. You grab one of your magic spheres, but it detonates in your hand into a storm of pure power. The noise from this assaults the wolf's sensitive hearing, and it cringes before tripping on its shattered paw and crashing to the ground. However, you and Alice are still in range of the explosion.
(2)v.(6)(6) [Theodore's defense]
(3)v.(1) [Alice's defense]

You hold out your hat in front of you, and all of the swirling blast of magic is absorbed back from where it came. The hat glows with all the colors of the rainbow for a brief moment before fading back to its original black, although the top of it now emits a faint multicolored steam. You wonder if Alice is okay, and turn around just in time to see her throw her arms around you and kiss you full on the lips. As far as potentially life-threatening magical accidents go, you feel pretty proud to have been responsible for this one.

Fireball the amarok, aim for the back, then get the bokoblin to grab the whole basic survival kit off of the kagarok
(2)v.(5-2)

You wave your wand, and a small orb of flame rockets from its tip towards the amarok. However, as the monster thrashes about on the ground, its tail swats your projectile away, sending it spiraling skywards. You curse under your breath, and command your bokoblin to retrieve the survival kit from that no-good bird of yours.
(5)v.(4)

The bokoblin rushes at the kargarok and grabs on to its leg before it can ascend. It hastily removes the kit, and the monstrous bird squawks loudly before freeing itself and flying off into the forest. You almost tear up as it leaves, but then you remember the vicious pecking that it gave you, and regret not lobbing a fireball at it instead of the wolf.

"Honestly, a giant wolf out of nowhere? This feels eerily like a game of Dungeons and Dragons. Mr Desmend, if you could do some damage to its throat I'd be grateful; I'll attempt to hold it there."
Telekenetically force the wolf's throat shut around the arm, causing it to choke even more. Ensure it stays on the arm and doesn't bite Desmend, if possible.
(5)v.(3-1)

You envision the amarok's windpipe collapsing as you reach for it with your mind, and you can see the its throat convulse as it tries to resist. Suddenly, its growls are replaced with a weak wheezing as you see its throat crumple like a paper bag. Releasing the pressure, you can hear the air weakly traveling to its lungs, making a faint whistling noise with each breath.

Reload my musket and fire at the wolf again.
(5) [reloading]
(1)v.(2-2)

You easily load and prime your musket, and take aim at the wolf. Your shot misses by a mile, but the amarok reacts to the sound, and coughs and splutters in such a way that it damages its throat even more.

(5-2)v.(3-1)

The amarok tries to clamp down on Dsemond's arm, but the giant flexes his bicep, prying the beast's jaws open. Teeth the size of small knives rip into the muscle, but it's far better than losing an arm.

Valinri will turn over his crossbow and darts, then nod and accept the arrangement.

Not going to argue with THIS guy!
(6)(3-1)

You hand the man your weapons, but he hands them back to you. "What the hell is an unarmed gladiator worth? You seem like you know what you're doing with that crossbow, and I don't want to have to spend anything on weapons for you if you've already got one. Now, we'll have to get Komberg to make us a portal to town. Even an outsider like you probably knows about Komberg, right?"
You nod your head, recalling the innkeeper's stories about the ruthless general, and you become rather uneasy.
The man throws back his head and lets loose a throaty laugh. "Hahahaha, he's not half as bad as the stories say, don't worry. Unless you're a known rebel, he'd rather recruit you than kill you. And I don't know where all of the stories about him looking like a demon came from. When he shows up, you can see for yourself." The man holds up his trident and touches a strange purple symbol on the center tine. Almost instantaneously, the air in front of you rips open, revealing a deep black void. Inside the void is a tall man, wearing a white dress-shirt and jet black pants. His eyes are constantly changing color, and the occasional bolt of black lightning arcs off his shockingly white hair. He carries no weapons, but his fingers end in foot long claws of pure white bone. This twisted figure grins at you like a cat that has just discovered a mouse, until your new master addresses at it. "Komberg... What the hell happened to you?"
Komberg looks down at his hands in shock, and mutters something too quiet for you to hear. The bone claws quickly retract back into his fingers, and the lightning coming off of him crackles furiously for a moment before stopping, the color from the bolts seeming to be absorbed by his rapidly darkening hair. Komberg holds up his hand in front of his face, making sure that his transformation is complete, before your companion shouts at him.
"What in the name of the emperor was that!? I was just telling my new gladiator here that you look like a normal human being, and that you aren't as evil as everyone says, and then you show up looking like that! How long have you even been a... whatever the hell that was?"
"I don't know what you're talking about. I'm just as human as you are, Obalir, if not even more so. Everyone knows that you Mossfielders will sleep with witches when regular women won't take you. I'm not sure what your pointy-eared 'gladiator' knows of humanity, but I bet that even he can tell which of us is more human." Komberg turns to you, and gives you the same grin as before. "Isn't that right? Which one of us looks more human? Me, or that son of a witch over there?"

Party Status:

Caerwyn

Spinal_Taper

Xantalos

Caellath

HighEndNoob

Noah Tophatz

Enemies:
Amarok: A monster which resembles a gigantic wolf. It is heavily wounded, and its front right paw has been blown apart (Always attacks last). It's throat has been crushed, and it is choking on Dsemond's arm (-2 to rolls).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 04:01:40 am by Wwolin »
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2012, 04:08:37 am »

Shatter it's skull, focusing on hte area around it's eyes, where it's weakest.
"And THIS is why I like cats! Because dogs do this. At least we can get it's fur after it's dead. Fur, meat, maybe some blood markings to boost morale ... yeah, I've been playing too many strategy games."
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2012, 05:00:34 am »

Aww I actually was intending to fireball the kargarok when the battle ended
prepare the survival kit to mend Dsemend's arm but don't try to fix it myself
If another wolf arrives summon up a moblin
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2012, 12:14:13 pm »

Theodore stays still for a moment, stunned by the spontaneity of the action. He wraps his arms around her, savoring the moment and pulling her closer. After a moment, he lets her go and heads back a step, reddening slightly.
"I deserved that?"
Look around for anything useful.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2012, 02:38:23 pm »

Dsemend watches his companions for a while before returning his stare to the wolf. He can't deny he'd rather be back home, helping his village instead of walking around with a bunch of strange people, some of them apparently under the eternal influence of drugs.

"Wolf, that wasn't very smart." he says, trying to resist a growing urge to facepalm.

Keep damaging throat and lungs.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2012, 12:51:46 am »

"Neither. Humanity is a right some are born with. If you aren't gifted it at birth, then it shall never be obtained. As such, we're all monsters.", says Valinri quietly.

Fear Level: MAX
Sanity: LOW
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6