Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Fragile Times: Act I, Scene IX: Hat Trick  (Read 6516 times)

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
Re: Fragile Times: Act I, Scene VI: Preparing to Embark
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2012, 02:47:43 am »

Theodore gets up from his table and moves to sit down next to Alice.

"Hey... You know, you're a pretty good dancer, for one of my hallucinations."
"Thank you. But I'm not a hallucination. I'm just as real as you are."
"Well, I guess you're kind of real... But you're just a part of my mind; when I wake up from this, you're going to be gone."
"Umm... I'm pretty sure that you're awake. And I'm still here, aren't I?"
"No, you see, I'm dreaming right now, and you're part of that dream. When I wake up, I'm probably going to have a massive hangover, and all of my friends will be telling me about the crazy things that I did at some party before I passed out, and I'm just going to remember you as the nice girl from my hallucinations."
"You don't get it do you? All of this is real. You fell through a gap into this world yesterday, and unless whoever's making those gaps decides to send you back, you're going to stay here for the rest of your life. You're not just going to suddenly wake up and be in your old world, and nobody there is going to be able to tell you about what you did last night, because you weren't there. You were here in Voria."
"Just look at it this way for a bit..."

Theodore and Alice continue to argue, while Hogarth talks with Dodson about where they should go.

"From what you said, I think that we should go to Cairnwood first. If Komberg is as bad as you say he is, then we need someone who can take him down, or at least distract him so that we can drive his troops out of Whitebog. Then we could start to push them back, and we might have a shot at winning this war."
"That sounds like a great plan. Let's see what the others think about it though."
Ross, who has just loaded a shot into his musket, looks up. "Sounds good to me."
Dsemond is already outside, but pokes his head back in through the door. "Yeah, it'll be good to get some support, and if we went to Whitebog, we might run into Komberg on the way there. And if he's as bad as you say he is, then we'll want some help first."
"Alright, that's three votes, so it looks like we'll be headin' to Cairnwood. We'll set out at noon, so you'd best get ready. Be sure not to leave anything important behind here, because we won't be back here for a long while."

Dsemond walks outside and tries to hone his skills by knocking over a few trees with his coffin. He knocks a few small trees down, but falls flat on his back when he tries to topple a large oak.
"Well, maybe we can use the wood for something at least." He picks himself up and gathers up the few small saplings.

Bob walks back inside and asks Dodson if there are any lightweight valuables that he could take.
"Hey, is there anything lightweight that we need to bring with us? I don't know if the others have decided where to go yet, but I've summoned a bird that can carry some of our stuff.
"We're headin' to Cairnwood at noon. And I think that I might have an old survival kit lying somewhere around here. They were standard issue to imperial citizens back before things got bad, and they had everything that you could possibly need to survive if you got lost." Dodson reaches under his bed and pulls out a small sack. Inside is a tinderbox, a metal needle with several spools of thread, a hunk of salt, and a long knife in a sheath. "I'm glad that you reminded me about this thing. It'll be a real lifesaver once we get into Cairnwood."
"Thanks. Now hopefully I can train the bird to carry it before noon."

Bob heads back out to the side of the inn and finds the kargarok perched on the roof. He lures it down with a bit of the leftovers from breakfast, and fastens the kit to its leg. It responds to some of his commands, but seems to be far more interested in finding more food. "Well, unless something out there looks tasty, we shouldn't have to worry about this thing flying away."

Hogarth goes outside and tries to make several small shapes out of dirt, but they fall apart as soon as they are created. "Dirt's a useless material anyways. What would I even use it for if I managed to make shapes out of it."

Meanwhile, Valinri sees the dragon closing in on him, and remembers a power held by the Drow. He raises a hand, and a large sphere of pure darkness partially envelops the wyrm's head, covering up one of its eyes. The beast roars in surprise, and Valinri quickly sprints off in the direction that he came from. The dragon regains enough of its composure to make a half-blind lunge at its prey, but its lack of depth perception causes it to miss horribly and slam into a boulder with considerable force.

The imperial soldiers at their small fortress hear a deafening roar, and look up just in time to see a large grey dragon slam into a stone on a nearby hill, while a humanoid figure takes cover. The bowman of the group attempts to fire a shot off at the beast, but cuts his hand on the tip of his arrow after coating it in some sort of blue fluid. The man falls to the ground in a deep sleep, and the man with the trident laughs at him before ordering the rest of his men out of the front gate.

Party Status:

Caerwyn
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spinal_Taper

Xantalos

Caellath

HighEndNoob

Noah Tophatz

Enemies:
Grey-Dragon: A forty foot long dragon with stone-like scales. It is lightly wounded, and is attacking Valinri. One of its eyes is covered by a lump of pure darkness (-1 to rolls).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 03:04:02 am by Wwolin »
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Fragile Times: Act I, Scene V: It's a Bird, It's a Plane...
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2012, 03:02:34 am »

"Well, not much to do but wait. Of course, for me, 'wait' means 'magic'."
Try to levitate self again - only a few centimeters above the ground this time, so I won't get hurt if I fail. Try to compress some air into a ball about 5 or 10 feet in front of me - far enough away to stand clear in case I make a superheated ball of air or plasma or somesuch.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2012, 05:29:21 am »

attempt to train the kargarok to come to me when I call to it until it's time to leave
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2012, 10:45:05 am »

Theodore shook his head. He'd only convinced someone they were a hallucination once. Might as well try again.
"No, no, no. Y' don't get it. Y'see, I'm not really here. I'm tripping my balls off in some hotel, thinkin' this is happenin. You think it's real cause that's what you exist as. You're a quite pretty hallucination, but that's all you are."
Continue the debate over whether or not balls are being tripped. Once there has been a decision, contemplate whether one can hallucinate in a hallucination. Continue throwing in flirty words.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2012, 11:17:55 am »

Valinri will run towards the town, trying to shoot the beat with his Crossbow and a normal dart at the same time! Aim for the un-globed eye!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2012, 11:18:13 am »

Dsemend stood up and wiped off his brow. He wasn't very tired, but it still seemed like he was much weaker and clumsier than usual...Although trying to take down the oak was an obviously stupid decision, he had to admit it.
"Well, I'll keep trying my hand at it until we have to leave..."

Keep destroying a few more trees until we have to leave. After being called, tie and slung some logs on own back, following the group afterwards.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2012, 01:37:14 pm »

Wait until we leave.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
Re: Fragile Times: Act I, Scene VII: The Girl of Your Dreams/Hallucinations
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2012, 09:06:45 pm »

Theodore shook his head. He'd only convinced someone they were a hallucination once. Might as well try again.
"No, no, no. Y' don't get it. Y'see, I'm not really here. I'm tripping my balls off in some hotel, thinkin' this is happenin. You think it's real cause that's what you exist as. You're a quite pretty hallucination, but that's all you are."
Continue the debate over whether or not balls are being tripped. Once there has been a decision, contemplate whether one can hallucinate in a hallucination. Continue throwing in flirty words.
(6)(6)

“…so you see, even though I perceive you to perceive that you exist, you don’t actually perceive yourself to exist, because you’re a splinter of my mind, and I’m just PERCIEVING that you perceive that you can perceive that you exist.”
You think to yourself fleetingly that attempting to convince a woman that she doesn’t exist may not be the quickest way to her heart, but you put the thought out of your mind. You hold yourself in high esteem for your flawless logic, and so should you/she. Thank god for that introductory philosophy course that you took before you dropped out of college.
Suddenly you realize you’ve been staring at Alice’s cleavage in complete silence for several minutes. You also too late realize that as a lifelong stoner, your “Fleeting Thoughts” end up more like “Labyrinthine Tangents.” You begin to contemplate whether thinking about thoughts in your thoughts might somehow damage your already battered subconscious when an incredibly painful slap startles you out of your reverie.
"How’d that imaginary slap feel? Did you perceive it to be as painful as you perceived me to perceive myself to intend?"
Her mocking words are the most painful part of the exchange. Those and the slap. That hurt like a motherfucker. You notice a slight smile forming at the corner of her lips, but due to your slightly oblivious nature you aren't sure what that means. At least you’re staring at her face this time.
"Anyway, how do we know that anyone is real? For all we know our words and thoughts could be the product of some writer in some higher plane of existence, existing only as entertainment for the gods."
You are about to agree with the depth and profundity of this statement when Alice bursts out laughing. You tentatively join in, recognizing the jest in her words. You have a feeling that she still might be making fun of you, but it’s different this time. Suddenly you lock eyes and the laughter stops. In this instant you realize that this has to be real, and you feel yourself inching towards Alice’s face.
"No hallucination could be as good as this," you say, an instant before your lips lock with Alice’s. You feel electricity course through your body, you feel the fire of passion in— Goddammit, a candle on the table has lit your shirt on fire! You hastily tear the flaming garment off of yourself, and stand there triumphantly as Alice stares at your masculine shirtless form. You could get used to this...

Dsemend stood up and wiped off his brow. He wasn't very tired, but it still seemed like he was much weaker and clumsier than usual...Although trying to take down the oak was an obviously stupid decision, he had to admit it.
"Well, I'll keep trying my hand at it until we have to leave..."

Keep destroying a few more trees until we have to leave. After being called, tie and slung some logs on own back, following the group afterwards.
(4)

You move away from the towering oak and knock over several smaller trees, before tying the logs to your back. A few of them look slightly sturdier than the others, and seem like they'd make a decent crafting material.

attempt to train the kargarok to come to me when I call to it until it's time to leave
(2)

The kargarok doesn't seem to comprehend a word that you say to it. You'd better keep some food handy in case it tries to fly away.

"Well, not much to do but wait. Of course, for me, 'wait' means 'magic'."
Try to levitate self again - only a few centimeters above the ground this time, so I won't get hurt if I fail. Try to compress some air into a ball about 5 or 10 feet in front of me - far enough away to stand clear in case I make a superheated ball of air or plasma or somesuch.
(6)(3)

You clear your mind, and attempt to float again. You envision yourself rising steadily off of the ground, and look down to see that your feet are no longer touching the earth beneath them. Tentatively, you try to control your floating, and you suddenly find yourself rocketing straight towards a low tree branch. Panicked, you try to stop yourself, and you manage to slow down a little before the branch strikes your head, and all you get is a bloody nose.
"Ouch! Dammit, I didn't expect to be able to move that fast. At least I didn't hurt myself very badly though."
The tree branch must have hit you pretty hard though, because you can't remember what you were planning to do next. Something about compressed air, maybe...

*Hogarth has gained the Uncontrolled Flight ability

Wait until we leave.
(Auto-success)

You wait patiently, chuckling slightly when Theodore lights his shirt on fire. At noon, Dodson stands up and yells so loud that you think it's a miracle that the Empire didn't find him sooner.
"HEY! LET'S GET GOIN' WHILE THERE'S STILL DAYLIGHT! C'MON, WE CAN'T JUST WAIT AROUND ALL DAY! WE'RE OFF TO CAIRNWOOD!"

The party starts off towards the southeast, and the plains gradually transform into a sparse forest of small trees as you travel.

Valinri will run towards the town, trying to shoot the beast with his Crossbow and a normal dart at the same time! Aim for the un-globed eye!
(3-1)v.(4-1)

As you flee towards the town, you fire a dart behind you at the dragon. However, the shot flies slightly too far to the left, and misses the beast, which continues charging towards you.

(5-1)v.(5-1)

The dragon makes a sudden lunge, its scaled underbelly making a massive divot in the earth as it slides towards you, and you can feel its hot breath on the back of your neck as you continue to run. You dare to glance over your shoulder, and you see that you are only just outpacing the beast as it skids down the hill.

(6)(6)v.(1-1) Holy shit...

The imperial commander holds his trident in front of him and plants his legs firmly as the half-blind dragon rushes down the mountainside. You rush by him, and hear him laugh slightly as ice crystals start to form on the wyrm's skin. By the time it reaches the commander, it is completely encased in ice. The man raises his trident, and instead of stabbing, he brings it crashing down upon the dragon's head. Several hairline cracks appear in the ice before there is a loud shattering sound, and the monster's frozen head, still partially covered in darkness, snaps off of the neck and falls to the ground. The commander orders his men to drag the head back to camp, and then turns to face you.

"Do you know what you just did?" he asks.

Party Status:

Caerwyn

Spinal_Taper

Xantalos

Caellath

HighEndNoob

Noah Tophatz
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2012, 09:08:19 pm »

Valinri is going to flee! Fling a globe of darkness behind himself, and run!

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2012, 09:25:51 pm »

continue attempting to train the kargarok as we travel
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2012, 09:33:12 pm »

Dsemend walked with the team calmly, slightly satisfied he hadn't ben tripping on his own feet for the last minutes. He took out one of the branches and stared at it for some time before turning to Dodson.
"Mister, do you have the tools for crafting a bow and its string?"

If Dodson happens to have those, then craft a large longbow. Or at least the knife, to carve the branch into a bow shape and leaving the obtaining of material for a string for later.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2012, 10:02:54 pm »

Theodore smiles wryly. Double or nothing. He leaned back towards her.
"Sorry ma'am. I still don't quite know if I believe this is real or not. Another one of those should do it though."[/b]
He then noted, with an odd mixture of joy and dismay, that his mind had cleared. He had no clue what had caused it, but he suspected it was either the girl or the magic. Well, after years of a near constant buzz, he was finally back on the wagon. That, of course, was the joy. The dismay was that he was clear headed enough to realize just how bad his line was.
Hope she likes her lines cheesy.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2012, 11:55:19 pm »

"You know what,  think this calls for a song.

She packed my bags last night, pre-flight
Zero hour, nine a.m.
And I'm gonna be high as a kite by then
I miss the Earth so much, I miss my wife
It's lonely out in space
On such a timeless flight
And I think it's gonna be a long, long time ‘til touch down brings me round again to find I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no, no, no, I'm a rocket man
Rocket man, burning out his fuse up here alone
And I think it's gonna be a long, long time ‘til touch down brings me round again to find I'm not the man they think I am at home
Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids
In fact it's cold as hell
And there's no one there to raise them if you did
And all this science, I don't understand
It's just my job five days a week
A rocket man, a rocket man
And I think it's gonna be a long, long time

ROCKET MAN!"

"Yeah. ... What was I doing again?"

"Oh right, I was doing stuff. Hey big guy, uh, mr ... Desmend was it? Could I borrow one of those logs? One you're not using or something?"

Hogarth, after doing his best William Shatner impression, tries to lift the tree Desmend gives him (assuming he does) a la telekenetic weightlifing, to enable him to lift heavy stuff. Also he tries to remember what he was going to do to control his flight.
Sig! Onol

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2012, 12:16:14 am »

"Sure, can do." Dsemend answers, offering Hogarth one of the logs.
>Yes?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2012, 12:17:27 am »

"Thank you, sir."
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6