Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Fragile Times: Act I, Scene IX: Hat Trick  (Read 6520 times)

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
Fragile Times: Act I, Scene IX: Hat Trick
« on: November 20, 2012, 02:37:15 am »

Here's the OOC and character creation thread for anyone interested: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=119306.0

Without further adieu, let's begin our tale...

"Welcome to Voria, otherworlders!" a thickly accented voice shouts. "Well don't just dawdle there! Let's get your feet on the ground. Hurry up, we haven't got all day. The Empire's dogs'll kill foreigners if they see 'em, and they don't take kindly to my friends and I helpin' 'em out either."
The voice is coming from a short and stocky man in an innkeeper's outfit with a head of unkempt carrot-colored hair and a thick and shaggy beard.
The man helps Dsemend to his feet. "My, you're a big one. I betcha those Empire boys'll head for the hills when they take a look at you. And that coffin! Why, those greenhorns'll think that we've got a death god on our side! You are on our side, right? Of course you are!"
Next he turns to Valinri. "You landed on your feet comin' through the gap? That's pretty damned impressive! And knowing you thin sneaky types, that crossbow of yours probably has some nasty hidden surprises that we can use against the Empire. Just be careful where you point that thing, OK?"
As he turns to face Bob, he spots Ross' gun and gets distracted. "Hey, I've heard of those things before! What're they called again? Oh, yeah, that's right, musk-kits. It sure is a silly name, but I've heard that those things can punch through a hydra's skin like nothing else can! And I smell a bit of silver on you too, if I'm not mistaken."
At the mention of hydras, Hogarth's ears perk up. "Aye lad, that sure caught your attention. What, do they not have hydras in your world? Next you'll be tellin' me that it rains gold and silver, and that people can make women appear out of thin air. Anyways, that cane won't do you much good if a hydra decides that you look tasty, unless it's got some downright nasty magic in it. Which reminds me. ALICE! STOP SNOOZIN' IN THAT CORNER OVER THERE AND SEE IF WE'VE GOT ANY MAGIC-USERS IN THIS BUNCH!"
A pale young woman with piercing blue eyes, medium length golden hair, and a bright yellow dress looks up from the table she was sitting at. "I wasn't sleeping dad! You were being embarrassing, so I was hiding my head."
"Sure you were. Maybe if you were a little more social, you'd have a nice husband, and your dear old dad wouldn't have to introduce you to every young man who stumbles into this bar. Fellas, I'm Dodson, and this is my daughter, Alice. She's a real nice girl, if she doesn't kill you with one of those looks like she's givin' me right now." Dodson playfully elbows Ross, and whispers to him, rather loudly: "I think she's just being this way 'cause she thinks you're cute. If you can get her to admit it, I'll let you marry her once this business with the empire clears up, and maybe you could get to makin' me a few grandkids."
Alice hears this and her face changes from pale to bright pink. "I most certainly do not think that he's cute!" She looks around the room, looking for a way to change the subject. "You wanted to know if they have any magic users? They've got three. Birdhead over there's a sorcerer and knows it, and the two who look like they're dressed for a ballroom dance don't know that they're mages yet. I'll find out the type in just a minute."
"Well then fellas, why don't you introduce yourselves while Alice figures out what kinds of magics we can use against the Empire.

What do you do?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 04:02:02 am by Wwolin »
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Fragile Times: Act I, Scene I: Adventure Begins
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 03:49:58 am »

"Excuse me, but did I hear the young lady over ther refer to me as a mage? Because I will be a VERY happy man if that is true. Magic! The arcane! The mystical art, and most importantly the thing I've been seeking for the past 20 years orsodoyouknowhowhappyIamrightnow?"
Hogarth does a little dance, then looks around, mildly ashamed.
"Sorry, everybody, I've forgotten my manners! I'm Hogarth Garrick, avid magic seeker and rich man from the lottery, although I suppose that doesn't much matter here. Wherever here is."
Mr. Dodson, was it? I'm sorry to tell you that it does not rain money on my planet. Speaking of which, where are we? What is the Empire? What organization do you belong to? Who are you? I mean positionwise, mind. Innkeeper? Rebel spy? Oh, this is just too exciting."
"And Miss Alice, what type of mage am I, then? I am VERY eager to get the whole magic thing started."

Essentially, Hogarth is very happy to be in Voria, and curious, and essentially acts a bit like a kid in a candly store. Except he's an old man. Yep.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 11:20:53 am »

Valinri will drop to his knees, and offer his prayers to the Lolth. What is this madness that has happened?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 11:59:01 am »

Dsemend raises to his full weight quite easily after a few stretches, towering at a height around nine feet of muscle and...

"Honored to meet ya both, Miss Alice and Sir Dodson. Name is Dsemend Assafort." he says with a polite bow at the waist, avoiding smashing into anything in the process.

...politeness. Definitely not a furious giant.

He takes some moments to look around him curiously, yellow eyes scanning the immediate area eagerly, before his gaze returns to the innkeeper.
"Fine place ya've got here and thank you for your hospitality, but I do wonder where we are and what is the Empire."

Dsemend also adjusts and dusts off his simple but well-kempt clothing - thick cloth-and-leather pants, a partially unbuttoned long-sleeved white shirt with both sleeves folded at the midpoint of his upper arms and his brown leather high boots, sometimes replaced by traditional geta sandals.

Talk to them.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 04:24:03 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 04:15:47 pm »

"Is that map right? because it looks like it has too much land on it" Asks Bob as he checks out the map on the wall
"and my name is Bob"
Bob the Wizzrobe asks about the map and introduces himself
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 08:38:09 pm »

Theodore hides a small smile, hides a laugh and as Alice speaks. When she finishes, he stands up and smiles at her.
"I guess I was a better magician then I thought. I did fool a grown woman, like you. Look, sorry to break it to you, but I'm not the type of  magician you seem to think I am. I don't spray flames with my hands or anything impressive. I do stuff like this."
He tosses the deck of cards into the air, scattering them everywhere. All of the cards land facedown, except the Ace of Spaces.
"Sorry, but I doubt I'm one of the guys you're looking for."
He sits back down and leans back, balancing his chair with his table.
"Jus' need to wait to come down."

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 10:11:42 pm »

Ross was surprised at the hospitality these people showed the group.
"It is a honor to meet you two. My name is Ross Common, police officer of Tursand, and part-time silversmith. I must say that you have a fine establishment here."
Ross swept his eyes around the room.
"But I must ask about this 'empire' you speak of. They don't sound too pleasant.
Try to find out more about this 'empire'.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 04:03:04 am »

"You otherworlders better get used to that map soon. You're in Voria now, and it probably doesn't look much like your home. It doesn't look like my home either now; not after the Empire messed it up."

"I hope you don't mind me interrupting, but what exactly is this 'empire' you speak of." Ross politely interjects. "They don't sound too pleasant."

"The Empire? I guess you can tell that we don't like 'em by now, but to explain why, I'll have to start at the beginning. About twenty years ago, when Alice over there was just a wee babe, the Empire was the most powerful group of people anywhere. And I really mean anywhere. You see, the Empire wasn't just in Voria. Someone in their ranks was able to open gaps to other worlds, like the ones that you fell through. They were in every world that they could find, and always expandin'. While I may hate to say it now, back then, I was proud to be a citizen of the Empire. We used to get visitors from all sorts of worlds at this inn, and we never wanted for anythin', 'cause anythin' we could think of was bound to be plentiful in at least one world. Then somethin' happened to whoever made the gaps. Some say that they tried to open too many gaps at once and died from the strain. Others think that the Empire decided to do something that they didn't like, so they escaped to some hidden world. I don't know which of these ideas is true, but I do know that whatever happened drove the Empire crazy. They couldn't keep everyone fed without food from the other worlds, so they started to cull the poor so that the rich could eat. Less and less people started showin' up at this inn until one day, it was empty. My wife went outside to see what happened to everyone, and... and..."

Dodson begins to sob uncontrollably. It takes several minutes for him to calm down and resume speaking.

"They set a manticore on her." Dodson's fists clench tightly. "They set a goddamned MANTICORE on her! It was supposed to look like an accident; a hungry beast of the wilds killin' a townsperson, but I saw through it all. The damned beast had a collar on, and the Imperial Officer who 'subdued' it barely touched it with his blade before it ran off. Alice and I stayed inside after that. Even though we were runnin' low on supplies, we stayed inside until we were sure that the Empire thought that we had starved. When we went out again, there wasn't anythin' left to see. Every man, woman, and child had either fled or been killed. Then you otherworlders started showin' up, and the last things that the Empire wanted were more mouths to feed, so they started fightin'. There were even a few wars, and the Empire was forced out of everywhere except for their capital in the Dragonspine Range. Then they found Komberg. There's never been a more ruthless man in Voria, and the Empire hired him on the spot as a mercenary. In three short years, he managed to eliminate all resistance from the Dragonspine Range, and even expand the Empire's territory. It's a good thing for us that he's movin' to retake Whitebog next, otherwise he might have a reason to come this way and foil our plans, and there's no way we'd survive an encounter with him, even with your help."

In the other corner of the room, Alice is talking to Hogarth and Theodore, and trying to identify what type of mages they are.

"Yes, magic. And not just those little card tricks either." Alice picks up the cards and performs the exact same trick as Theodore. "I don't suppose you can pull a rabbit out of your hat, can you? That's always been a favorite of mine, but I don't have a hat, so I can't practice it."
"I'm sorry miss, but I can't do that trick unless I have a special table, with a secret compartment for the..."
That's not true. I've seen a man do that trick before on this very table. And even if you can't do it, you should at least try. After all, we're looking for magic, aren't we?"
"Miss, you don't seem to understand. My trick doesn't work on this table. I'm really sorry to tell you this, but I just can't do it." To prove his point, Theodore reaches into his hat, and pulls out a small glowing orb. "You see miss? I just can't pull a rabbit out of my hat on this table... Wait a sec!" Theodore does a double take. "What is this thing?"
"Magic. I'm never wrong about it."
"MAGIC!" Hogarth squeals. "I always knew it was real! Can you make more of those, or is there some sort of limit?"
"I don't know. But there's only one way to find out! Theodore reaches into his hat and pulls out two more spheres. "I could do this all day! I'm not just one of those petty parlor magicians anymore! I'm a real mage!" Theodore, overcome with happiness, juggles the spheres.
"Be careful, we don't know what those do yet! You might hurt someone!"
"Nonsense, dear girl. I'm one of the greatest jugglers from my own world. Why, men from all over come to marvel  at Great Theodore, the JugglAHH!" Theodore trips and falls, sending his spheres careening around the room. Two of them forcefully strike the wall before vanishing in poofs of colored smoke, but one flies straight at Hogarth's face. Hogarth is too stunned to react, but the ball stops about an inch away from his face.
"What's going on? Did I stop that? I think I stopped it! I STOPPED IT!" Hogarth raises a fist towards the ceiling in triumph, and the sphere rises too, colliding with the ceiling and punching a hole in it.
" So, you can move objects with your mind? If you trained that, I bet you could move entire armies!"
Upon hearing Alice's voice, Hogarth is reduced back to his meek self. "Oh my, I'm so sorry about your ceiling, I didn't mean to do that, I swear!"
"Don't worry about it, Dad'll go out and fix it before anything crawls in and tries to bite us."

Valinri prays to the Lolth, but his prayers go unanswered, as the great spider cannot hear him from this new world. His keen sense of hearing picks up Dodson talking to the other strange otherworlders, and he is filled with a sense of dread. If such terrors exist in this new land, what is a Drow to do without divine guidance?

Dodson leaves the inn with a carpenter's kit in hand, but not a minute passes before he rushes back in.
"It's a band of Imperials! Nine of 'em, and only three minutes away! Don't ask me how they got here, or how they knew we were here, but I know why they're here." Dodson gestures towards the party. "You fellas are too nice to hand over to those monsters, so I hope you're ready to crack a few skulls."

*Theodore has gained the Magician's Mangler talent
*Hogarth has gained the Telekinesis talent

Caerwyn
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spinal_Taper

Xantalos

Caellath

HighEndNoob

Noah Tophatz
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 12:37:53 am by Wwolin »
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 10:51:06 am »

Valinri shall ask in common if they have any supplies; - Food, bedrolls, candles and perhaps a flint and tinder.

((Hope it's okay if I don't role-play...))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 11:18:09 am »

"Telekenetic ability! Wow. I wonder if I can move myself with it?"
That said, Hogarth attempts to levitate himself using telekenisis.
"Terribly sorry about your wife, Mr. Dodson. The Empire you describe actually reminds me of an extradimensional organization in one of our ... I suppose you'd call them interactive stories. I suspect it's leadership has changed in the last few years. That said, is there no secret compartment or whatnot? I hope not to kill anyone. I will try to disable them, however."
That said, Hogarth attempts to lift multiple objects and spin them in a circle formation.
Oh, and if fighting breaks out he attempts to knock the soldiers over.
Sig! Onol

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 12:44:18 pm »

Dsemend scratches his chin, staring at the panicked man.

"I guess we'll do that then, mister...Who here has experience in fights?" he says, the last part directed to his teammates.

He pats his coffin like it was a treasured token, addressing his allies.
"We'll probably have to bash some skulls in, ya'll should be ready for some fightin'. We should fight 'em outside, where we won't wreck his inn."

Leave the inn, dragging any unmoving teammates along. Engage the enemies by swinging the coffin in a wide arc to knock them down.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 01:58:30 pm »

"Real magic, nice."
Theodore smiles and looks at his hands.
"S' gonna suck once this trip ends."
Follow the big guy. Throw magic!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 03:06:20 pm »

"No combat experience whatsoever. I will not kill anyone. Just will not."
Sig! Onol

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 04:46:51 pm »

"Just arrived in this land, and already people are trying to kill us."
Pull out my and load my Musket, then follow my teammates to the doorway.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 04:11:56 am »

"I can fight" Bob states to the guy with the coffin before going outside and attempting to summon a couple of Bokoblins
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6