Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21

Author Topic: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 41 - Delays and Some Gameplay Overhaul  (Read 42824 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 35, Whitesnake
« Reply #225 on: August 09, 2012, 09:11:37 am »

((I love you too, Baradine. XD))

Kira blinked as she was contemplating the offer, slowly sweeping her gaze at the crowd.

One...Two...Three...

Dozen, or so?

Well...this is quite a predicament. You weren't given gold...Hey, did you just incite a rebellion by your existence? Heh.

Kira held her shield up to guard her body, trembling hands included, "Err...you won't hurt a poor, harmless girl, would you? I've no gold on me, that's for sure, and...I don't think I look good enough for ransom."

If they all go GRRR, I KILL YOU: Quickly go 'Eep', say sorry...

And cast Gust in a frontal-sidewards arc, following it up with Weak Air Shift through the gap.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 09, 2012, 09:20:54 am »

((If higher level spells grant more xp, is the rule about overmastering low level spells not carrying over xp to parent skills still in place?))

Yes.

Kira blinked as she was contemplating the offer, slowly sweeping her gaze at the crowd.

One...Two...Three...

Dozen, or so?

Well...this is quite a predicament. You weren't given gold...Hey, did you just incite a rebellion by your existence? Heh.

Kira held her shield up to guard her body, trembling hands included, "Err...you won't hurt a poor, harmless girl, would you? I've no gold on me, that's for sure, and...I don't think I look good enough for ransom."

And cast Gust in a frontal-sidewards arc, following it up with Weak Air Shift through the gap.

Are you trying to bluff?  Because you actually do have 50 gold pieces.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:24:37 am by Baradine »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 09, 2012, 09:38:02 am »

-snip-

Are you trying to bluff?  Because you actually do have 50 gold pieces.

Take the road, keeping watch for any signs that would aid me in my quest, or for bandits.

And highwaymen.

And angry farmers.

((I was tempted to auto one you for hilarity... so I did.))

|  Unfortunately, you are accosted by bandits.

And highwaymen.

And angry farmers.

And some rather short people calling themselves lowwaymen.  They seem pretty pitiful, though.

You are instructed to pay a toll of 10 gold to each.
((I was thinking when you said 'each', you meant every person in the group.

I say nay.

And...yes, if diplomacy succeeds, then go with that bluff. If not, then go with the bolded plan.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 10, 2012, 09:03:23 am »

Important: Metamagics and Category Magic will upgrade their DR for their children skills, but leveling up that specific skill will not.  Leveling up the specific skill will raise: To hit, ability to cast higher level spells, and an as of yet unrevealed category (It will be revealed once someone hits level 7 in a specific skill).

And how long do you expect it to be before someone does hit level 7?  Also, what's the rule on casting/learning spells above your level?  I know you said that Irony couldn't cast his crow, but that's three ranks above his skill- at what point can he actually cast it?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 10, 2012, 10:36:50 am »

Important: Metamagics and Category Magic will upgrade their DR for their children skills, but leveling up that specific skill will not.  Leveling up the specific skill will raise: To hit, ability to cast higher level spells, and an as of yet unrevealed category (It will be revealed once someone hits level 7 in a specific skill).

And how long do you expect it to be before someone does hit level 7?  Also, what's the rule on casting/learning spells above your level?  I know you said that Irony couldn't cast his crow, but that's three ranks above his skill- at what point can he actually cast it?

I would estimate ~ Turn 120 or so.

And, I wrote this: -1 to spells two above your level, -3 to spells three above your level.  But don't like that.  It'll be this way, now and forever:

-1 to spells 1 above your level, -2 to two above, -3 to 3 above.  Any higher would be autofail (even if your metamagics and category would allow it, since it would technically just be -4).

Turn'll be up in a bit.  My sleep schedule has become very weird, so I am going to sleep for about two or three hours.  Probably.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 36
« Reply #230 on: August 10, 2012, 08:33:35 pm »

Turn 36

Woo! Now if only I can avoid getting involved in this Whitesnake business in any way shape or form. :P

Return to clerk or whoever it is, request next mission.

| The clerk gives you the mission to clean up a small bandit camp outside of the city.  There are only three bandits in the camp, so it should be a snap.

Neat.  I'll have to get Janna to come help me decorate my new room sometime.

Head to my room and read the tome.

You head to your room.  It is a rather spartan place, but you test the bed, and it seems rather cozy.  There is a desk with a chair, and a door that leads to what you guess is a bathroom besides.

You pull out your tome and take a quick look through it.  It is a rather large book, so it would be better if you decided which section of the book you wanted to read:

1. Very Short Range Offensive Spells

2. Arcane Defense

3. Short Range Offensive Spells

4. The Application of Arcane Energy in Esoteric Subjects

5. Medium Range Offensive Spells

6. Long Range Offensive Spells

7. Area of Effect Spells

8. Damage Over Time Spells

9. Combining Spells

10. Emulating Other Spell Types With Arcane Magic

Run away.  Run far, far away, to my guild.  Find the guild leader and relay the message to him, as well as telling him that Reddrick can dissipate spells with his weapons.

((Yeah, I knew what was coming.  However, I didn't really see a way to avoid it overtly without metagaming.))

You manage to get back to your guild, and you request to speak with the guild leader | The lazy receptionist lets you in.  You see that the Guild leader is in a meeting, but you say your message anyways.

"A man named Reddrick Whitesnake says he is building an army.  I fought him, or at least tried to.  He decimated my comrades, and he was able to make their spells dissipate with his weapon!"

The guild leader looks at you after a moment and says, "Normally, I would throw you out of my office for being so impudent, but I know of Reddrick Whitesnake.  Any threat that man makes must be handled with the utmost caution.  Bale, what do you suggest?"

A middle aged man looked at the guild leader and says, "Normally, if it was just Reddrick, you, me and Bane would have a fairly decent chance of taking him down.  But, I fear that Reddrick is not by himself.  Rorrick will undoubtedly be with him, and together, those two would be unstoppable.  We need to find someone just as strong as Reddrick.  But... is there anyone?"

"I fear there is not a soul alive who could match Reddrick," said the guild leader.

They contemplated in silence, with you standing there awkwardly.  After a full minute, you simply slip out the door.  You report your mission as a failure, and you go to your bunk in the barracks.

What now?

((If higher level spells grant more xp, is the rule about overmastering low level spells not carrying over xp to parent skills still in place?))

Thank the guard for his understanding and ask if he can give me any more information on the dragon than that it flies off in a general westward direction after attacking the town.

"I heard what the peasant told you, and I'm afraid that's all I know as well.  Everyone has been far to scared to try and track it down.  I'm sorry I couldn't be of anymore assistance."

He then walks off, probably to shake down some ruffian or another.

One...Two...Three...

Dozen, or so?

| They all have a change of heart, and become good people, who help their grandmothers cross the road.  Yay.

Characters

Nirathi (Nirur Torir)

Female Yarian.  From the Enchantment College.  In the Mage's guild.  In a town located somewhere in Ggryymirr.

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Magic Known (click to show/hide)

Ochita

Male Yarian.  From the Animus College.  In the Mage's guild.   In a town located somewhere in Ggryymirr.

Kira Talneris (Tiruin)

Female Elf.  From the College of the Battle Mage.  Whelp of the Fighters Guild.  She's somewhere, that's for sure.

Spoiler: Spells Known (click to show/hide)

Zerus Halfmoon (IronyOwl)

Male Human.  Went to the Animus University.  Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild.  Inside the Archaeological Guild.

Thrakor (Toaster)

Male Elf.  From the Animus University. Excavator of the Archaeological Guild. Right in the heart of Tantalan, inside the Archaeological Guild.

Leo Morelli (Morelli)

A Male Human.  From the Summoning College.  Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild.  Inside the Archaeological Guild.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 10, 2012, 09:21:01 pm »

((Just how valuable is this return teleport, should I to need to use it before completing the mission?))

Get directions to other nearby settlements, or, preferably, a map from the city hall.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 10, 2012, 10:45:58 pm »

((Just how valuable is this return teleport, should I to need to use it before completing the mission?))

Get directions to other nearby settlements, or, preferably, a map from the city hall.

Ggrrymyrr is very far away from the guild and very dangerous.  Use it once you've finished the mission.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 10, 2012, 11:01:46 pm »

Inspect my room.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 10, 2012, 11:33:15 pm »

Attempt to increase my speed. Check if I still have my giant crow.

((EDIT: Question:

Yes.
What does this mean, exactly? That you can't gain parent skill exp by using spells you've already mastered, or that exp that would normally go to already-mastered skills aren't shifted up to their parents and are just wasted?))
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 11:35:50 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 11, 2012, 01:10:07 am »

((EDIT: Question:

Yes.
What does this mean, exactly? That you can't gain parent skill exp by using spells you've already mastered, or that exp that would normally go to already-mastered skills aren't shifted up to their parents and are just wasted?))

Let me explain by example:

You have a mastered spell, let's call it Ice.  Ice has the parent skill Icing and the category Cake.  At ten exp, when you normally use Ice, it would only put experience into Icing and Cake.  However, you may specifically choose to overmaster Ice, giving it further bonuses when it reaches certain checkpoints in experience.  However, if you choose to start overmastering Ice, you no longer gain any experience for Icing and Cake, whilst overmastering.  You can change back to normal experience gain at any time.

Morelli

• Bay Watcher
  • Even numbers keep me sane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 11, 2012, 01:43:04 am »

Time for some calming down.

Summon Ricky.  Then, go to the library and search for some books on summoning and enhancing demons.

"Not a soul alive, huh?  Come on Ricky, let's see what we can dig up."
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 01:45:03 am by Morelli »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 11, 2012, 02:06:27 am »

I see. Does this mean the total exp you get goes down once you've mastered a spell, though?

Formerly, you got X Ice xp, Y Icing xp, and Z Cake xp. Once you've mastered it, do you gain X+Y+Z exp split between Icing and Cake, or is the gain identical except Ice gain is now 0? How does that work if you overmaster Ice instead- is it now X xp to Ice and none to Icing and Cake, or something more complex?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 11, 2012, 02:33:36 am »

I see. Does this mean the total exp you get goes down once you've mastered a spell, though?

Formerly, you got X Ice xp, Y Icing xp, and Z Cake xp. Once you've mastered it, do you gain X+Y+Z exp split between Icing and Cake, or is the gain identical except Ice gain is now 0? How does that work if you overmaster Ice instead- is it now X xp to Ice and none to Icing and Cake, or something more complex?

You are correct on the overmaster, but incorrect on the mastering.  Once you've mastered it, you just X Icing and Y Cake.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 11, 2012, 10:45:06 am »

As Kira finished her statement, a simple wave of awe came over all men nearby - the benevolent kind. Guilt flooded their expressions and...

Well, it was hard to describe how ashamed they were of trying to hurt a girl with a shield and white cloak.

"Does anyone know where the nearest road to Darius is? And...why were you all demanding money from one person, by the way?

"Is there any issue on why you're all here instead of tending to the crops or doing what you'd probably be doing?"

Ask ask ask ask ask!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21