Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]

Author Topic: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 41 - Delays and Some Gameplay Overhaul  (Read 42744 times)

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 41 - Delays and Some Gameplay Overhaul
« Reply #300 on: December 20, 2012, 05:44:48 am »

"T-ttwo spells? Err, I mean, a month?"

Kira blinked as she noted down what should be done; remembering Van's words and his own spells, she decided to try looking for her wind spirit friend first.

"Erm, alright. Will do. Do you know where my staff is by the way?"

Djork took the staff to help train you, remember?  Anyways, turn will be up later today, I'd stayed up all night hanging out with friends.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 20, 2012, 05:52:25 am »

((You could've told me IC :P

But still.))

"No matter, I'll just explore the guild..."

Examine scrolls, then examine my spellbook and what is written in it. Inquire on the Guild if there are any places for research other than the library - like where they keep any magical items.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 23, 2012, 04:13:49 am »

Sorry for the wait, but that spell list of Toasters is murdering me.  I should have the turn up within the next day or so.  At most, by Christmas.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 42 - Some Promotions
« Reply #303 on: December 23, 2012, 02:15:38 pm »

Turn 42

Here she be.

I kneel down to pet Ricky, and think to myself.

"We can totally do this, right?  Yeah, we're only two pathetic little creatures out on a quest to get stronger.... Let's do it."

Find someone in the guild who may be able to help with the job and convince them to accompany us on our journey.

|  You are completely and utterly unable to find anyone.  As a matter of fact, you can't even find yourself!  Pondering the secrets of the universe, you fall into a nihilistic depression.  (-1 to rolls for 3 turns).

((And now, two chapters I am again interested in!))

Finish that massive book!

((This will be massive))

Chapter 9 reads as such:

The combining of spells is a difficult task, but one that reaps benefits that can be quite powerful.  For instance, combining a wind based spell and a fire based spell could probably create some type of hellstorm.  However, this is about arcane magic.  Combining two different arcane spells can create quite an interesting effect.  There are multitudes of ways to combine spells, and listing them out would be merely an exercise in futility, as none would buy a two hundred thousand page tome.  I can, however, explain how to combine spells.

It's rather simple, in theory.  The caster must merely use a simultaneous or instant spell in complete conjunction with the follow up spell.  However, complete conjunction is not a simple task.  Using spells of varying power can easily disrupt the spell, and if using different magic types, different proficiency can mess it up as well.

((In game terms, for every experience point the spells are apart, there is a -.1 penalty.  So for combining a fully mastered level 1 and level 2 spell, there would be a -1 penalty.  However, if the level one spell was overmastered to 11 experience (or if the experience difference was otherwise within ten points), there would be no penalty.  Also, for combining spells of different types, there is a -1 for each level the different types are apart))

Also, there are some spells that simply do not combine, or when then do, have very catastrophic consequences for the caster.  Practice with caution.

((Basically, to combine a spell, use an instant or spontaneous spell with another spell (or even multiple spells), stating the intention to combine.  I'll stack up the deficit and bonuses, and then create an effect (although the effect will be consistent).))

Chapter 10 reads as follows:

The ability to emulate other spell types is perhaps the greatest of arcane magic's abilities.  It's versatility is what draws so many towards it.  There is a requirement to emulate other types of magic, however.  That would be, that the caster must be at least slightly proficient in the use of the magic he wishes to emulate.  Greater proficiency makes the process of emulation easier, and people who are fairly proficient in a certain type of magic can emulate it using arcane magic without flaw.

However, that is where any drawbacks may end.  If slightly proficient in the type of magic the caster wishes to emulate, the caster can use his proficiency in the arcane arts to use that type of magic.  So a high level arcane caster who is barely proficient in fire magic could cast fire spells of his caliber, although it is a little harder to cast than if he were proficient in fire magic.  Any magic can be learned this way, and your physical limitations of magic will be lifted, since it would still be arcane.

((To emulate a spell, you must first have at least one level in that type of magic.  Then, you are able to learn spells of that type as if your level in that magic was the level of your Ianus metamagic -2.  If you are at level 1 for the spell type you wish to emulate, then you have a -2 to casting spells of type (when emulating).  If you are at level 2 it goes down to -1, 'till it finally disappears at level 4.

And finally, to the part you've all been waiting for... the spell list.  This may cause... delays.))

Very Short Range Offensive Spells

Lesser Arcane Blade:  The caster creates a sharp edge that extrudes from his fist.  Level 2, 2 DC.

Arcane Blade: The caster creates a long blade that extrudes from his fist.  Level 4, 4 DC.

Jake's Bursting Ball: The caster creates a ball of energy in his hand, which creates a controlled explosion towards the direction of thrust when touched against something.  Level 7, 8 DC.

Arcane Tag:  The caster casts a spell (of any type) and the spell is stored within the tag.  The tag may then be placed upon something, and remotely activated at will.  Level 3.  Requires strip of paper.  Distance at which tag can be activated is infinite.

Repulsion: The caster bursts in non-lethal arcane energy, sending foes within five feet flying.  Level 1, 5 ft. Range.

Implosion:  The caster touches a target, and if all shielding is overcome, the target is instantly crushed by 10,000 G's of pressure.  Level 9, 9 DC for purpose of overcoming shielding.

Riposte: A near instantaneous attack.  It can only be used if the spell Counter is successful in blocking, at which point, this spell is cast instantly, at no stamina cost.  Uses a DC equal to the casters Ianus Somes level.  Level 4.

Arcane Defense

Weak Arcane Armor: Creates a coating of arcane energy around you.  It defends against all attacks, but sufficient kinetic force will still send you flying.  The armor might just take care of that anyways, though.  Autoblocks up to DC 1.  A level 2 spell.  Lasts for an indefinite amount of time. Ianus Somes spell.

Arcane Armor: The standard version of the above spell.  Autoblocks up to DC 4.  A level 5 spell. Lasts for an indefinite amount of time. Ianus Somes spell.

Lesser Shield: Creates a floating disc that automatically blocks attacks, but can be eventually overcome.  Autoblocks up to DC 3 attacks once, and every level below that for double that amount (the attacks do add up).  Level 2.  Redimio Ianus spell.

Shield: The standard version of the above spell.  Autoblocks up to DC 6 attacks once, and every level below that for double the amount (the attacks do add up).  Level 5.  Redimio Ianus spell.

Counter: A shield that creates an opening.  Does not autoblock, but uses a roll, and uses a DC equal to the casters Ianus Somes level.  If Counter is successful, the spell Riposte is instantly cast (if known), at no stamina cost. A level 4 spell.

Apport: Teleport you or anything you can touch a random place within thirty feet.  30 ft. Range.  Level 2. Redimio Ianus spell.

Blink:  Instantly teleports the user a short distance.  30 ft. Range, Instant.  Level 5. Redimio Ianus spell.

Short Range Offensive Spells

Quick Draw: A small, quick bolt is instantly shot from the user's hand. This spell must be prepared before hand.  It takes a single round to prepare this spell.  When it is prepared, however, it can be used at any time. DC 3, 30 ft. Range, Instant, Homing.  Level 4.

Arcane Charge:  The caster surges forth incredibly fast to deal a powerful blow.  The caster can instantly make a melee attack, with a +1 to roll and a +2 to the DC.  30 ft. Range.  Level 3.

((I'll finish this later.  It's seriously taking me too long to think up spells.  There's plenty here for you to learn anyway.  When I finally finish this, I'll make a new post that includes everything.))

Try to bribe someone to get near the front of the line. Don't go over ten gold.

((My status is incorrect; I'm pretty sure I'm not inside the mage's Guild (although maybe I am? Maybe it's just really huge) and my inventory still contains the items I sold.))

| You show some people some gold, but they don't even take it, and instantly usher you to the front of the line.  You are overjoyed, but then someone starts man-handling you, and soon enough, you are wearing the store's uniform, and are now working and the front desk!

A man comes up to you and says, "Do you know where I could find 'Dksjdoikalp Dksodpkn Delln Dfjoxpalex'?

"Hm..." Zerus hummed to himself, tapping his fingers on the counter. Either this guy wanted to delay his promotion or get him killed.

...he wondered if he knew he commanded a 14 foot tall warrior crow?

"I'll do it!"

The clerk smiles and says, "Okay!  You are now a Grave Digger.  You now have some better room accommodations, and access to higher level materials."

You are left standing in shock.  All you had to do was agree?

Use the bead to return Ochita and myself to the Mages Guild. Then return to the clerk to report on the dragon's terms and hand over the contact-a-dragon-thingy.
Head back to the mages guild, after telling the mayor that the dragon shouldn't be bothering them for the next couple of days

You turn in the quest, and for handling it so well for being your first mission, both of you are promoted!  You are now both Apprentice's, with rooms of your own and access to higher level materials.  You also both gain 100 gold.

((You could've told me IC :P

But still.))

"No matter, I'll just explore the guild..."

Examine scrolls, then examine my spellbook and what is written in it. Inquire on the Guild if there are any places for research other than the library - like where they keep any magical items.

The scrolls you have and the wind spellbook you own is obviously meant for a beginner, as they only contain level 0-3 spells.  Both scrolls contain a single level 1 spell.

| Looking around, you are unable to find any sort of high level magical storage room, but you are able to find the quarter master.  He looks at you, and says gruffly, "What do you need?"

Characters

Nirathi (Nirur Torir)

Female Yarian.  From the Enchantment College.  Apprentice of the Mage's guild.  In a town located somewhere in Ggryymirr.

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Magic Known (click to show/hide)

Ochita

Male Yarian.  From the Animus College.  Apprentice of the Mage's guild.   In a town located somewhere in Ggryymirr.

Kira Talneris (Tiruin)

Female Elf.  From the College of the Battle Mage.  Whelp of the Fighters Guild.  In the Fighter's Guild.

Spoiler: Spells Known (click to show/hide)

Zerus Halfmoon (IronyOwl)

Male Human.  Went to the Animus University.  Grave Digger of the Archaeological Guild.  Inside the Archaeological Guild.

Thrakor (Toaster)

Male Elf.  From the Animus University. Excavator of the Archaeological Guild. Right in the heart of Tantalan, inside the Archaeological Guild.

Leo Morelli (Morelli)

A Male Human.  From the Summoning College.  Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild.  Inside the Archaeological Guild.

Spoiler: Perks (click to show/hide)

Zofus "Zerg" Berg (FuzzyZergling)

Male Human.  From the College Sursum Propinquus quod Alio.  In the Mage's Guild.  Inside the city of Tael, right outside of a bookstore.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:09:51 am by Baradine »

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 23, 2012, 02:57:14 pm »

Lets go study a book on water magic, hopefully something I unlocked with becoming an apprentice.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 23, 2012, 08:52:12 pm »

Learn all the spells

Going to have to read back and check the rules on learning spells.  I assume the limit is one per turn?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 23, 2012, 10:16:03 pm »

Tell the man it's in the fourth shelf from the left, then swiftly flee the store and return to the Guild to start my mission.

((You accidently gave me depression, when Morelli should be the one with it.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 23, 2012, 10:22:10 pm »

"Hello sir, may I-err, do you know where I could find any oaken staves? Perhaps of the eerie-unjustified-feeling-that-someone-is-watching-over-you type? I just had mine taken by Djork and want to...spend time with it. Sentimental reasons and all."

Inquire to find Van.

Begin reading ye first scroll.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 24, 2012, 12:09:23 am »

Learn all the spells

Going to have to read back and check the rules on learning spells.  I assume the limit is one per turn?

Yup.

Tell the man it's in the fourth shelf from the left, then swiftly flee the store and return to the Guild to start my mission.

((You accidently gave me depression, when Morelli should be the one with it.))

Sorry, thought Morelli was on the bottom.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 24, 2012, 12:24:29 am »

I read back and couldn't find it for sure, but two levels above my skill is -1 and three levels above is -3, right?

In any case, let's Learn Weak Arcane Armor.  As much as I want to ditch that tired attack combo first, a defensive spell is something I don't have.

Also, how long does Quick Draw last once armed?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Morelli

• Bay Watcher
  • Even numbers keep me sane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 24, 2012, 12:41:22 am »

"What's the point?  Life sucks, why am I even doing this.  Whatever, let's just march to our utter and inevitable demise, Ricky."

Slink off to find the bandit camp, even though I have little to no information on where it is.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 24, 2012, 09:51:54 am »

Glance over the Physical Ward spell in my spell book again to make sure there won't be any surprises. If not, buy an Ironroot and Steel Shaving from the quartermaster for ten gold. Borrow a knife from somewhere and prepare to cast physical ward on my leather armor using my own blood.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 25, 2012, 01:30:01 pm »

Waiting on Irony Owl.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 25, 2012, 09:01:15 pm »

((Oops.))

Get next quest.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]