Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 41 - Delays and Some Gameplay Overhaul  (Read 42825 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 34, End of a Struggle and The Law
« Reply #210 on: August 07, 2012, 02:50:40 pm »

Do that again! The hardening skin part, not the inability to move bit.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 07, 2012, 03:02:16 pm »

"You truly believe the Mage's Guild so callous as to leave everyone in Ggryymirr to be slaughtered by a rampaging force dragon? Not even close. We'll come peaceably, but any further deaths rest firmly in your hands."

Comply with the guardsman.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 07, 2012, 11:38:36 pm »

Thrakor nods and smiles at Janna.  "You can visit me any time.  I couldn't have done this without your help."  He then addresses the guild leader.

"Thank you, sir, for this honor and the healing.  I must ask, though- who is this Rorrick?  Clearly he's a powerful foe, but what was going on, here?"

Ask above, then check in with the mission clerk.  Obtain jar of formaldehyde for finger.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 08, 2012, 09:20:03 am »

Take the road, keeping watch for any signs that would aid me in my quest, or for bandits.

And highwaymen.

And angry farmers.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 08, 2012, 10:05:53 am »

If they're dwarves, are they lowwaymen?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 08, 2012, 10:53:38 am »

If they're dwarves, are they lowwaymen?

*Groaannnn*
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Morelli

• Bay Watcher
  • Even numbers keep me sane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 08, 2012, 03:46:38 pm »

"Hello, Reddrick. Udyr held high praise for you, before he killed himself for revealing your location.  Let's see if you live up to the hype."

((Ohgod Ohgod Ohgod he scares me.))

Summon my Diminutive Imp, and move to the back of the group.  Summoners shouldn't be the ones in the middle of the fray, anyway.  Have my currently unnamed Diminutive Imp commence tossing fireballs at Reddrick.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 35, Whitesnake
« Reply #217 on: August 08, 2012, 09:52:21 pm »

Turn 35

Do that again! The hardening skin part, not the inability to move bit.

| You perfectly cast your new spell, Harden.

You gain +3 to Harden!  You gain +6 to Validus Refragatio!  You gain +2 to Somes quod Animus!  You have mastered Harden!  You no longer suffer a penalty to movement.  You have gained a level in Validus Refragatio!  You have gained the title Squishy!

"You truly believe the Mage's Guild so callous as to leave everyone in Ggryymirr to be slaughtered by a rampaging force dragon? Not even close. We'll come peaceably, but any further deaths rest firmly in your hands."

Comply with the guardsman.

| Your little tirade manages to coerce him.

"Erm, well, I didn't know you were from the Mage's guild!  Sorry, you can go about your business..."

Thrakor nods and smiles at Janna.  "You can visit me any time.  I couldn't have done this without your help."  He then addresses the guild leader.

"Thank you, sir, for this honor and the healing.  I must ask, though- who is this Rorrick?  Clearly he's a powerful foe, but what was going on, here?"

Ask above, then check in with the mission clerk.  Obtain jar of formaldehyde for finger.

"I believe I will be more suited to answering that," said Bale Whitesnake, surprising you, "Rorrick... is the second greatest martial artist to ever live.  But he has never truly been recognized for his talents, or so he believes.  This has led him to detest all things magical, thinking that mages have covered up his greatness.  He uses completely mundane equipment, although it is of a quality beyond all but the greatest of smiths ability to produce.  He has begun to actively sabotage the magical foundations of this city, though we have succeeded on driving him out."

You nodded and thought for a moment, and then said, "Second greatest is a little specific.  Who's the greatest?"

Bale sighed, and turned away, "He is his brother.  Reddrick Whitesnake."

You stand there in shock for a moment, while Bale walks away from you.  You soon snap out of it, and you go to the guild, and walk to the mission desk.

"Hmm... Thrakor... you were newly promoted to Excavator, correct?  It isn't much different from being a Bus Boy, except that you now have your own room, have access to some of the places you couldn't get to before, and you're eligible for more dangerous missions.  Oh, and you have to go on a mission at least once a month (Every 15 turns).  There's nothing other than that though, so here's your reward."

He hands you 200 gold, a tome on Arcane Spellcasting, and a Staff of Arcane Blast (A staff like this allows you to cast this spell a set number of times, with no 6's and nothing less than a 3.  However, it get's none of the bonus' you get from being a better mage, so they become useless later in the game.  This staff's specifics are: 5 charges, takes a full round to charge 1 bolt (Out of combat it automatically recharges), and uses the spell Arcane Blast, a DR 3 spell.  You also gain no experience from using a spell staff.)

You also put your pinky in a jar of formaldehyde.

Take the road, keeping watch for any signs that would aid me in my quest, or for bandits.

And highwaymen.

And angry farmers.

((I was tempted to auto one you for hilarity... so I did.))

|  Unfortunately, you are accosted by bandits.

And highwaymen.

And angry farmers.

And some rather short people calling themselves lowwaymen.  They seem pretty pitiful, though.

You are instructed to pay a toll of 10 gold to each.

"Hello, Reddrick. Udyr held high praise for you, before he killed himself for revealing your location.  Let's see if you live up to the hype."

((Ohgod Ohgod Ohgod he scares me.))

Summon my Diminutive Imp, and move to the back of the group.  Summoners shouldn't be the ones in the middle of the fray, anyway.  Have my currently unnamed Diminutive Imp commence tossing fireballs at Reddrick.

((If you read Toaster's turn, you should have probably seen this coming.  I also foreshadowed it throughout your quest, but meh.))

| You summon your imp, again, and have it go to work attacking Reddrick.

Grave Digger: | He shoots a bolt of lightning at Reddrick.

Bus Boy: | He creates a sword out of earth.  It is rather similar to steel in strength.

Your Imp: | He manages to create a rather decent sized fireball to throw at Reddrick.

Reddrick: ((And so it begins)). He swings his sword at the fireball and lightning |||  | And the spells dissipate into nothingness... but so does Reddrick!  Or at least, that's what you thought, as he appeared in front of your commander so fast your eyes simply couldn't possibly keep up.  ||   | Reddrick seems to be doing nothing, but a second later, your commander falls to the ground, his head and body perforated by countless holes.  He then takes out a throwing knife and throws it at your imp.  ||  | Your imp simply poofs up, his body dismissed from this plane.

Reddrick then moves again, simply walking towards your other companion.  He says, "You wish to challenge me with a sword?  Very well then."  They both settle into a stance, and on some cue, your companion strikes first.  || However, Reddrick strikes much, much faster.  He swings his blade at your companions sword, and barely touching it, your companions sword shatters into pieces.  Without missing a beat, Reddrick decapitates the man.

He looks at the body for long while while you stand in shock.  He then looks at you and says, "Tell the old man at your guild that Reddrick Whitesnake is coming.  And he's bringing an army."

He turns his back on you, and walks into his tent....

((There were a few clues for this, but I suppose it might have been a bit hard to tell.  Oh, and to avoid confusion, those question marks mean that you simply don't know what the outcome level is.  He's so far beyond your skill level, you can't even tell how far he his beyond your skill level. 

One last thing, too.  Morelli, consider your plot armor destroyed after this as well.  If you get into a situation where you are completely outmatched again, you'll probably die instead.  You didn't die this time because I planned Reddrick to be far stronger than you from the beginning.  No one's going to die because of GM fiat.))

You gain +4 to Everto Voco!  You gain +3 to Appelo!  You gain +2 to Realm!

Characters

Nirathi (Nirur Torir)

Female Yarian.  From the Enchantment College.  In the Mage's guild.  Also inside the Mage's Guild.

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Magic Known (click to show/hide)

Ochita

Male Yarian.  From the Animus College.  In the Mage's guild.  Also inside the Mage's Guild.

Kira Talneris (Tiruin)

Female Elf.  From the College of the Battle Mage.  Whelp of the Fighters Guild.  She's somewhere, that's for sure.

Spoiler: Spells Known (click to show/hide)

Zerus Halfmoon (IronyOwl)

Male Human.  Went to the Animus University.  Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild.  Inside the Archaeological Guild.

Thrakor (Toaster)

Male Elf.  From the Animus University. Excavator of the Archaeological Guild. Right in the heart of Tantalan, inside the Archaeological Guild.

Leo Morelli (Morelli)

A Male Human.  From the Summoning College.  Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild.  Inside Udyr's house.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 02:01:43 am by Baradine »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 08, 2012, 10:02:33 pm »

Woo! Now if only I can avoid getting involved in this Whitesnake business in any way shape or form. :P

Return to clerk or whoever it is, request next mission.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 08, 2012, 10:03:41 pm »

Neat.  I'll have to get Janna to come help me decorate my new room sometime.

Head to my room and read the tome.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 08, 2012, 10:05:24 pm »

Woo! Now if only I can avoid getting involved in this Whitesnake business in any way shape or form. :P

Return to clerk or whoever it is, request next mission.

You can try....   

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 08, 2012, 10:23:43 pm »

Ooo- just noticed the new rank increases my learning speed.  Neat!

Morelli

• Bay Watcher
  • Even numbers keep me sane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 09, 2012, 01:27:02 am »

Run away.  Run far, far away, to my guild.  Find the guild leader and relay the message to him, as well as telling him that Reddrick can dissipate spells with his weapons.

((Yeah, I knew what was coming.  However, I didn't really see a way to avoid it overtly without metagaming.))

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 09, 2012, 01:28:43 am »

Run away.  Run far, far away, to my guild.  Find the guild leader and relay the message to him, as well as telling him that Reddrick can dissipate spells with his weapons.

((Yeah, I knew what was coming.  However, I didn't really see a way to avoid it overtly without metagaming.))

Next time, you could say some bullshit like, "Oh, I'm a summoner, I don't know any combat spells.  I'll just summon my demon and wait here."

Ooo- just noticed the new rank increases my learning speed.  Neat!

And, yeah, you get an extra point for experience gains, for a total of +2.

And because I finally finished the system, this is how experience and levels will fully work:

The stronger the spell, the more experience.  For example, on a 5 you get a base of 3 exp for a level 0 or 1 spell.  However, if you got a 5 on a level 10 spell, you would be getting a base of 30 exp.

However, the stronger the spell is, the more exp it takes to master it.  For example, there is Irony's Summon giant crow spell.  It is a level 4 spell, and it take 40 exp to master (Don't worry Irony, you still have the spell mastered.)  However, a level 9 spell would take 90 exp to master.

Levels and leveling have been quantified and balanced.

Important: Metamagics and Category Magic will upgrade their DR for their children skills, but leveling up that specific skill will not.  Leveling up the specific skill will raise: To hit, ability to cast higher level spells, and an as of yet unrevealed category (It will be revealed once someone hits level 7 in a specific skill).

Stats do not affect casting spells.  They may affect learning them, or be used for different things (like using an intelligence check to learn the answer to a riddle).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 02:01:16 am by Baradine »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 09, 2012, 06:58:04 am »

((If higher level spells grant more xp, is the rule about overmastering low level spells not carrying over xp to parent skills still in place?))

Thank the guard for his understanding and ask if he can give me any more information on the dragon than that it flies off in a general westward direction after attacking the town.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21