Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 62

Author Topic: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: No new update...yet  (Read 265387 times)

Paramatter

• Bay Watcher
  • [POSITION:HERMIT]
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod (Update: Version 0.27)
« Reply #285 on: February 08, 2013, 04:31:46 pm »

Personally, I've decided that if Bowser isn't the Koopaling's father, he's probably their uncle.

On a totally different note, I noticed that there didn't really seem to be any giant bloopers in this mod, and thought that was kind of a gap that needed filling, so, submitted for your appraisal,  here're my preliminary efforts at creating a "gooper blooper."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The problems that I am certain it has are that I know diddley about interactions and so its goop at present only really spreads in water (and I'm not sure how appropriate it is for it to be able to use it to hide...) and also that I haven't bothered yet to try and get its blue patterns represented by a TL_COLOR_MODIFIER.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 08, 2013, 07:25:13 pm »

sory for aksing so much, but why do the caw, bumptie, and kremlings suffer so much during world gen?

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 23, 2013, 12:33:05 am »

:o I'm surprised no one has posted here in quite a while.

I don't really want to necro a dead thread, but at the same time I just went through a Toad Fortress that I had a lot of fun with.

It didn't last long... less than a year, but that was because one of my Toad suddenly exploded in a Machine Made. It was an unexpected bit of FUN.
I really like the flavor that went into this mod and it is pretty fun for adventuring in for the same reason.

The only thing is I can't tell how exactly a character turns into the Machine Made. Is there another creature that infects it or something? It seemed to happen with no noticeable cause. And the interaction/syndrome seems to suggest that it is instantaneous rather than an incubation.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 23, 2013, 09:27:51 pm »

I did not comment again as no one was replying to me.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #289 on: August 26, 2013, 10:10:22 am »

You know what's funny?  Just yesterday I was thinking about getting into modding again.

:o I'm surprised no one has posted here in quite a while.

I don't really want to necro a dead thread, but at the same time I just went through a Toad Fortress that I had a lot of fun with.

It didn't last long... less than a year, but that was because one of my Toad suddenly exploded in a Machine Made. It was an unexpected bit of FUN.
I really like the flavor that went into this mod and it is pretty fun for adventuring in for the same reason.

The only thing is I can't tell how exactly a character turns into the Machine Made. Is there another creature that infects it or something? It seemed to happen with no noticeable cause. And the interaction/syndrome seems to suggest that it is instantaneous rather than an incubation.

Hidden Machine Mades are created when a creature is attacked and infected by a 'machine made scout' (you can find these events in Legends mode).  They are based off of Yaridovich.  While incubating, they are immortal, self-sustaining, immune to all the usual vulnerabilities, and have a force multiplier effect that makes their flesh's durability comparable to steel.  When they flee a fight, they permanently transform into a giant metal spear monster that kills all organic beings on sight.  The effect is not transmittable, so they are pretty rare, you got pretty lucky finding one in a fortress (well actually unlucky, but you know what I mean).

I wonder what new discoveries have been made in the months that I've been gone?  I'm hoping someone found a way of creating fortress-friendly zombies, so that I can make a proper Dry Bones reaction.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 26, 2013, 01:54:31 pm »

Yeah. A brief look into my legends revealed that this was what happened. Funnily enough this particular Toad managed to get attacked by scouts a lot, but got infected the last time.

He was right in the middle of my shelter when he popped. My axetoad almost won the fight, but the machine made finally got in a fatal enough hit. I think the thing needs more penetrative power because my axetoad mostly just got the vim beat out of her then she'd run off and come back fully healed (except for the scars) and try again. She'd gained legendary skills during the process and finally manage to break the hydraulics in the machine's leg and then proceeded to return the beating, but the machine got in one good hit and that was all it took. It then crawled around murdering melancholy Toads (a tantrum spiral sort of happened when a few of the early victims died of their wounds.

The machine made was pretty strong though. My axetoad probably flew a mile collectively from being knocked around and my architect was killed by a single hit to the face which propelled her straight into the wagon.

All in all I quite enjoyed it. I actually have it written down, but I want to flesh it out. I was planning on it being a community fort (if I had the time), but I wanted to get the fort stable first. I am going to try and reclaim though. The machine is still there, but I might have better luck with a hammer and an axe.

I do have a question that I'm not sure about, but I tried a while back to make a tundra Toad fort. It went pear shaped quickly due to water troubles. I thought it would be cool if firemetal ore could be made into a heat source that could be placed around. Is it possible to mod a material to emit enough heat to melt water and keep above doors areas warm?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 26, 2013, 02:27:21 pm »

Yes, MAT_FIXED_TEMP.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 27, 2013, 03:49:08 pm »

Wow, I can't wait until the next DF release.  Proper sites, more interesting missions, jumping physics, and giant mushrooms?  Sign me up!  But who knows when that will arrive?

In the meantime, the localization patch looks interesting.  Although I really can't think of anything that would greatly improve this mod.  While the world can certainly be made more Marioesque, I kind of like the brutal pseudo-medieval feel of the DF world.  Any thoughts?

Someone's worked out how to make items that grant interactions?  Like magic wands?  Aw, but it requires DFHack.  Up until now, I've tried to keep the modding pure.  I don't really want to add in things that will fall apart once the next upgrade happens...I might decide to do it anyway.

As for more immediate updates, I'm planning on making a proper Dry Bones reaction (instead of reviving the dead, it turns a living Koopa into a skeletal automaton that will not take orders, but will continue to do its former job, slowly but never stopping or complaining, and is virtually impossible to kill.)  I'm also going to make Chomps a bit less of a game breaker somehow (slow or not, those things can take down a forgotten beast, and they are among the common domestic animals for Koopas!).  I don't want to make them weaker, but maybe make them a little more dangerous to keep in public areas, like have them randomly go berserk every once in a while, just long enough to take a bite out of someone if they happen to be nearby.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 27, 2013, 04:01:08 pm »

Someone's worked out how to make items that grant interactions?  Like magic wands?  Aw, but it requires DFHack.

;)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 28, 2013, 10:34:16 pm »

I like the unique combination of Df's medieval feel and the Mario World together. It makes it feel like the Dark Ages of the Mushroom Kingdom.

It's also kind of funny that the typical Mario enemies are pretty standard, but the SMRPG enemies tend to be a bit more terrifying (I like this since the RPG enemies have a distinct flavor to them). I ran into an Artichoker in Adventure mode and it took me down pretty quickly. I haven't ran into the more fierce standard enemies though.

Stuff to work on... there's a few new enemies in recent Mario games that you could add. Though there doesn't seem to be a whole bunch due to Nintendo reviving a lot of enemies from older games into the modern age.

You can add a secret/interaction that makes a creature Shiny and capable of bestowing Shiny-ness onto others like from Sticker Star. I guess it would basically be an unlimited Starman effect though. Sticker Star didn't really add much new stuff to work with besides the fact Wigglers turn into Flutters (which I guess was not exactly new just the first game I saw that confirmed it).

There's a lot of stuff you can do after the next version of DF comes out.

Super Acorns and Flying Squirrel Transforms could be nice additions in the next version when we get the new trees and jumping/climbing abilities. On that note adding some more vegetables (like turnips, radishes, and pumpkins) from SMB2 might be a good addition to add more diversity to grow-able food. Partially because in adventure mode we might be able to pick crops and thus obtain power-ups easier, the extra diversity might tone that down a bit.

Also don't forget the combat upgrade in the next version. Attacks will be given speeds and delays allowing for more unique attack patterns. For example, Triclyde could bite with all three heads in rapid succession (or shoot fireballs). Chain chomps could have a really quick sudden attack, but then require a rather large delay afterwards. Blah blah blah. Putting some thought into that might be fun.

Atomisk

• Bay Watcher
  • Majora
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 29, 2013, 04:40:11 am »

Is there any way to make parakoopa more common on embark? Or make it so I can turn regular koopa into parakoopa? (Since you said they apparently can take shells off and put them back on, with magical wing-usage.)
Signatures are for people with things to show off. I'll show off something.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 29, 2013, 09:14:45 am »

Is there any way to make parakoopa more common on embark? Or make it so I can turn regular koopa into parakoopa? (Since you said they apparently can take shells off and put them back on, with magical wing-usage.)

You could just change the POP_RATIO in in the raws, but I wouldn't advise it.  Since pathing for flying creatures is broken, Parakoopas tend to be more trouble then they're worth, getting stuck on top of constructions and stuff.  Fun in Adventure Mode though.

Someone's worked out how to make items that grant interactions?  Like magic wands?  Aw, but it requires DFHack.

;)

Yes, thank you Putnam.  I have used your code occasionally, although I think I'll pass on this one.

Atomisk

• Bay Watcher
  • Majora
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 29, 2013, 09:50:41 am »

Oh. Mine was quite useful in constructing a roof i was trying to make. I suppose I overestimated her usefulness, if pathing is broken. I was going to have a koopa coop and wanted my founders to all be parakoopa but still allow plenty of mix in the migrants. I'll take your word for it though. It's quite difficult just building an above ground fortress so they don't all get slowed to a crawl for a whole year, and i'm not that experienced in fortressing at all. :P

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 30, 2013, 03:54:52 am »

Flying creatures (both friendly and invading) determine whether or not they could reach a destination/target as if they couldn't fly, but once they determine a target they will fly to it if they can.  So they can make building tall structures a little quicker, since if there are stairs leading to a roof then they will fly up to the roof without needing to use the stairs, but if the only way to reach a point (or get down from a roof) is by flying then they won't do it.  So if they're flying on their way to a target and the job gets cancelled (either by you cancelling it, by something interrupting them, or by a targeted enemy being killed) and they happen to be on top of a roof or structure that it wouldn't be possible to get down from without flying, they will inconveniently forget they can fly and just mill about on the roof until someone makes them a path to the ground.  This can be a real pain, especially when a parakoopa just goes missing and you don't realize it, they can easily die of thirst stuck on the roof if you don't check up on them periodically.  If someone gets stuck, you'll need to have someone else build a stairway up to the roof so they know they can get down - at which point they will usually just fly down anyway.  They won't attack flying enemies either, since according to ground-based pathing they are 'not a valid target'.

The current ratio of parakoopa to regular koopa is 1/3, which I thought was a good ratio of being able to speed things up a bit but minimizing the trouble of having them constantly get stuck on things.  It's best to just plan construction projects as if there are no flyers, and then just enjoy the help they give at speeding up the project.

Atomisk

• Bay Watcher
  • Majora
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 30, 2013, 05:23:51 am »

Ohhhh. Thanks for the tips! Currently embarked on a marvelous site, dolomite, marble, metal ores of all kinds, and coal. I'm already working on my fourth floor to my tower. All is going well and the first immigrants just arrived!

Edit: My baby goomba all die of thirst when the river freezes over, despite me having a well. v.v
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 08:49:20 am by Atomisk »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 62