Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 62

Author Topic: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: No new update...yet  (Read 265389 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod (Update: Version 0.27)
« Reply #300 on: September 01, 2013, 03:01:22 pm »

Chomps are looking rather nice: not too vicious to keep on the premises, but not a prime candidate for guarding your crowded main tunnels either.  I've also managed to create an interaction for swallowing creatures or their body parts whole.  I originally made it so that Naval Pirahna can clean up her spawn, but it turned out to be too much fun.

There's some fine-tuning involved, but expect to see yoshis ripping off chunks of their enemies' bodies and devouring them piece-by-piece by the next update.  And if Boss Bass and Belome weren't dangerous enough already, they can now eat you alive if you're not careful (i.e. toss them a dead body, or just let someone else go first  ;D)

Next up, a complete overhaul of Pirahna Plants...

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 01, 2013, 10:26:04 pm »

I found myself wishing that Yoshis could eat things whole during this previous game...

My wish came true!
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Atomisk

• Bay Watcher
  • Majora
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 01, 2013, 11:28:11 pm »

Is there -any- way to keep the baby goomba from just dieing of thirst?
Signatures are for people with things to show off. I'll show off something.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 02, 2013, 05:16:32 pm »

Is there -any- way to keep the baby goomba from just dieing of thirst?

Send them into battle so they get killed by monsters first?

Intelligent pets (goombas, bob-ombs, yoshis) will only drink from open water sources.  If your river freezes over, you'll need to find an underground water source to replace it.

I am almost positive I have just made one of the most intricately convoluted and complex creatures ever made in Dwarf Fortress: pirahna plants.  They not only have a multi-stage life cycle with several branching pathways, but are actually smart enough to figure out what kind of biome they are living in based on seasonal temperature cycles and develop into the appropriate breed based on this.  They can also interact with each other to create a dominance system.  Smart horticulturalists may be able to abuse their circadian rhythms in order to coax out the breed they want.

Lots of testing involved though.

Atomisk

• Bay Watcher
  • Majora
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 02, 2013, 07:38:41 pm »

Aha. But I've managed to create a pump system capable of raising water several levels to my meeting room. I will rip the well off it's handles and see if they'll drink from the cistern.

No good. The adults drink from it but the babies ignore it completely.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:09:03 pm by Atomisk »
Signatures are for people with things to show off. I'll show off something.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 04, 2013, 08:03:11 am »

Next version is up!  New features include:

Creatures that swallow their enemies whole!  Yoshis will mainly eat them piece-by-piece though.  It satisfies their hunger, but make sure they don't swallow your kills before you get a chance to butcher them.  They might also eat your dead toads, so you might need to start making memorials instead of burials.  On the plus side, they'll help dispose of refuse, and aren't very picky eaters.  Belomes and Boss Bass will eat you alive if you get near them, so if you have to fight one, appease its hunger first by chucking a dead body at it.

Chomps are less of a game-breaker... well, they're still just as powerful, but make sure to keep them out of your main passageways...on rare occasions, a chomp will lash out, attacking whoever is nearby, which will probably result in the death or serious injury of the unfortunate citizen or pet.  Stone Chomps are weaker and sterile, but won't misbehave.  Chaining a chomp or keeping it in too small of a pasture will make it more likely to lash out.  A chomp will always flash with a '!' for a few seconds before lashing out, although the majority of these are false alarms.

And now, for the big overhaul: Piranha Plants.  Instead of just being a spawning megabeast, now they can be used for defending your Koopa fortress.  They have a very complex development system, which can practically create a metagame of its own.  Unfortunately, I will be away for a few days and I have not had the chance to test it as much as I would like (I'm not entirely sure if they will breed... between the multiple transformations, species changes, child ages, and the fact that the males are immobile, which may or may not prevent breeding, I've heard somewhere that neither can be immobile but in Masterwork changeling males are immobile and they can breed supposedly, so not really sure about this.)

I will post what is supposed to happen and leave the testing up to you!

Piranha Plant Breeding for Dummies:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also I have removed the 'baby' phase from goombas and bob-ombs, hopefully this will allow newborns to drink from open water sources.

PS.: How do I move this topic to 'Mod Releases'?

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom Returns! Update 0.3: Piranha Grove
« Reply #306 on: September 04, 2013, 10:49:34 pm »

If you edit the first post there should be an option to move it?

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 05, 2013, 02:52:34 pm »

Thank you for the update! :D

And sorry I keep bringing it up, but I keep seeing many races die off in the first few decades or century, what should I do about them?

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 05, 2013, 10:07:48 pm »

sorry for double post, but do I need df hack for some things on here? I played around to get yoshis playable in adventure mode, but found that they can't devour things.

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 06, 2013, 10:05:22 pm »

After playing through Paper Mario a second time I've been on a Mario kick, seeing that this is still active is absolutely fantastic! It's one of my favorite mods, love it! <3

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 07, 2013, 12:43:57 pm »

Thank you for the update! :D

And sorry I keep bringing it up, but I keep seeing many races die off in the first few decades or century, what should I do about them?

Some races are likely to die out, it's one of the consequences of having so many minor races.  However, it might not be as bad as you think: most of the time, different races will simply end up on different continents.  If you're embarking to a site and don't see the race you want in the list, try checking a different continent.  Each world will have a different mix, so if you don't find the races you want, just regen the world.

sorry for double post, but do I need df hack for some things on here? I played around to get yoshis playable in adventure mode, but found that they can't devour things.

Yoshis should be able to devour things, but it's through an interaction, not regular eating.  Also, because of the way the interaction works, you might first need to target yourself, then the body to be eaten.  DFHack is not used at any point in this mod.

If you edit the first post there should be an option to move it?

I couldn't find it...

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 07, 2013, 03:59:19 pm »

Shy guy building attemp, I think it doesn't look very nice this way. The colors are too bright, maybe there's too much contrast.
That thing on the roof is a brick.
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 08, 2013, 01:48:35 am »

This is where I got the idea:
Also the toy box.
Though it could all be easily changed.

b_knight286

• Bay Watcher
  • ....huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 09, 2013, 09:36:24 pm »

I don't know how to mod, or how to code, but...can't you just make the dry bones a special critter like the tanuki transformation? Just keep opposed to life out and they should act like regular critters, right?  Masterwork DF has a bunch of awesome stuff in it that I've enjoyed but what I WANT to play is THIS mod, once you add more, glad to have you back, man! Now that I just noticed...but yeah dry bones are best accomplished by turning them into a different (technically living) creature. I think. Heh. Vampires are technically undead but not opposed to life, maybe there's something in THAT code you can use? Really wish I could help. Shy Guys are my favorite race but...the vanishing furniture thing you added makes Koopas my favorite to PLAY as, sadly. The one giant mob thing fits shy guys, sort of, but means if you want ranged attackers you need to make TONS of spare ammo for the hammer and other melee ones to carry, and you need to stick with just one ranged weapon type unless you want the quiver filled with a ton of unusable ammo, meaning they need to head to the stockpile more often. Again I'll make my earlier suggestion of somehow implementing Fat Guys into the game, as a rare caste or something, with fat that acts as a sort-of armor...you got fat-armor working for the penguins, right?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 09, 2013, 09:44:23 pm »

What's special about the tanuki transformation?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 62