_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5929827 times)

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: I told you.
« Reply #12315 on: February 26, 2013, 07:35:55 pm »

((Got to the very sad part where Empyrea departed, :( the sudden part where Cog murdered Yoink over remote, and the absolutely hilarious part where Travis snapped and killed Mason. Three deaths in close following. Not bad guys. And the tokens were pocketed from each. And now there's several more dead in the Wrec Room, even if not permanently (and it can easily become permanently with a stray shot). And I'm assuming the pages in between did not go uneventful.

Makes me nervous to have my character just out with 5 tokens and nothing. Although the potential muggers seem very preoccupied at the moment. That actually leads to one of my fears about ER, and that is meta-gaining tokens by murdering teammates. Since it's very easy to recover from a perma-death, especially with a new character, especially when on a ship, it can easily be profitable to kill other people just to gain tokens, but without all the consequences that killing other people usually carries (because they'll just respawn). It is made possible by a system in which tokens are physical objects that can be taken, making a new character is easy, and creating a new character increases the total number of tokens. If I am being confusing, I can clarify, but I am basically talking about something that resembles a bought match; you kill my character and I kill yours, and then we both pocket the tokens.

It didn't seem to be an issue at first, but now... It seems to be increasingly common to gain tokens by killing teammates. Add to it the fact that increasing the total number of player characters increases the total number of tokens in the game, and you've got a system where players can reliably "grind" other players before they accumulate the necessary amount of tokens and can start the mission with all the dream equipment on. I wonder if it is happening now to some extent... It may very well be that I am being too cynical about it. I'm sure it would be worse if this was an MMO, and not a forum game. Maybe making a one month no new character penalty for perma-deaths to avoid this...Or maybe I am just being too cynical. Not my decision to make.

Kisame: "What happened to Travis." Did not get to that part yet.
Just to clarify; I am not talking about a specific occurrence, or even saying that it is a real problem. This is more like philosophizing on the theoretical pitfalls of the system, and pure speculation.))
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 08:23:30 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12316 on: February 26, 2013, 07:49:20 pm »

~~token grinding~~
((as far as i am aware, this has not been occurring. i think your concern is unwarranted.))

((as for the shape-shifting murderer, Lyra has no way of knowing anything about him. As a result I'm not worrying about it unless/until Maurice says something about it. my current operating assumption is that he is referring to the "they" that took the little ones first, meaning he managed to hide from "them", which wouldn't be to hard for a shape-shifter odds on. of course, this doesn't make him not crazy and potentially dangerous, but i have no reason to suspect him of being a serial killer.))

edit:
((Travis was vaporized (literally) by Jim for murder))
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 08:23:47 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12317 on: February 26, 2013, 08:11:21 pm »

((Yeah, my killing Yoink was a combination of bad rolls on his part, and a non-specific action on mine. If you went on a "Token Grinding" spree, you'd just paint a target on your back. Steve may not care about teamkills, but the team does. You saw what happened to Travis, and that was in-character. Imagine the wrath you'd have brought upon yourself if you mass murdered.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #12318 on: February 26, 2013, 08:23:54 pm »

((Killing/Mugging another team member with purpose but without reason, as far as I have seen = obliteration via Jim.

... I just thought of something. The AM doesn't mind lending tools, and replacement stuff for the Wrec Room is always forthcoming... I'm considering gutting a VR machine to take the computer and hookup and such, instead of paying for a computer capable of running a VR program.))
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 08:26:08 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #12319 on: February 26, 2013, 08:32:15 pm »

((Token grinding is not a consideration because a) you don't get skill points for killing people, so some high end equipment would still be unusable b)it is unsportsmanlike, unfulfilling and boring and I don't think that this game (or this forum) has many boring people and c) this game offers equal death opportunities for everyone. You may be the best of the best, but one bad roll at the wrong time will kill you. ))

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12320 on: February 26, 2013, 08:57:55 pm »

(To the best of my knowledge, no one has expressly killed anyone else for the sole purpose of taking their equipment. Kisame accidentally killed Yoink, Travis was being a paranoid douchebag, and while my original intention wasn't to kill him I'm glad it happened the way it did since that meant no looting was possible.

And I've stated time and again that if anyone tries that shit on ship while I'm around, I WILL kill them. That's about it.)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12321 on: February 26, 2013, 09:34:48 pm »

((Jim's right.  If you mug anyone, the giant psychic gorilla-armed cyborg will come and break your spine.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12322 on: February 26, 2013, 09:38:31 pm »

((I wonder what Lars will say about Moruls' goggles, what with the Gazer stuff.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12323 on: February 26, 2013, 09:40:32 pm »

Drag myself away from the fire and chemicals, my weapons with me- I need to survive here.

((If I survive the fight, then I'll gladly go on the 10+ man mission. I need another mission for tokens, if not for the experience and fun of it- my last one had me die early in, though I'm a robot now.))
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:44:37 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12324 on: February 26, 2013, 09:40:45 pm »

((Either praise them as a divine gift or offer to buy them.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #12325 on: February 26, 2013, 11:11:41 pm »

realize shooting myself in the knee didnt do any real damage, resume firing 1 second pulses at ivan.

[con:5]
You swear a few more times, sit on the edge of the table and take aim at ivan again. You first pulse is a cutting blow that half severs the tendril that he fired across the room.
[con:4]
The second catches him in the side and burns a hole for an instant or two before the liquid armor covers it.
[con:3]
The third shot sweeps wide across areas already covered by the armor.

Ivan, staggered but clearly not stopped, turns to look at you, hunching down.

Now that Victor has a clear view, he fires a shot at the part of Ivan's back where the tentacle is connected to and he fires two more shots at the most damaged parts of Ivan. If the first shot misses, Victor will aim the next shot at it instead, if that also misses, he'll fire the third shot at it as well. If Ivan attacks the turret, he will detonate the magazine at the last possible moment.

[con:4]
Your first shot finishes the job that Lockerlot started, severing the tentacle. Ivan turns from Lockerlot and Focuses on you. Despite his legs, despite the countless Hemolymph leaking wounds, he moves just as fast as he did that first time.

[dex:2]
[Ivan dex: 2+3]

You don't even have time to press the button before his fist connects and sends your turret spiraling across the room and smashing into the wall. Your video feed cuts to static.

Wake up when the operation is over. Inspect myself. If I have the eyes, be dazzled by the world of color. If I don't, assume that the operation is ongoing, and continue lying down.

((And now we have two less people fighting Ivan. But it would be really anti-climactic and mood-killing for the mission team to appear right now.

Does anyone have the data for the number of missions completed for all characters? When you mean powerful wills, how powerful do you mean? And speaking of long, just how long do you assume? I can say I will miss not being able to do old missions, not because I like them more, but more because the others got to do them, and I didn't. Oh well.

And I don't think that the AM, Doctor, or anyone else will kill Ivan just because he killed all the convicts. But he won't last a minute if he begins interfering with the crew's jobs. So getting him into a briefing room might work as a way to force NPC's to take care of him (although it will kill any remaining chances of reinforcements.)

Oh, and I find AM to be exhibiting progressively more emotional states as this game is played. At first, she could hardly lift her head from the paper, now she's outright laughing at other people. Makes her fun.))

You awaken in a tube of biogel. It's green.  You blink. You can see. You touch your face and immediately pull your hands away in pain.

"Not healed yet." The doctor's voice cuts in from somewhere beyond the haze of dark green. "Still regenerating. Eyes not adjusted yet. Will need glasses for a time. Still, visual cortex regeneration went nicely."

There is a pause.

"You still remember who you are, right? No memory loss? No brain damage? Just checking."

"Okay, I'll do it, but if you ****ing ****ers don't shut your nano ghost traps or whatever, I'll ask Ivan to kill me, understood?"

Push the button.

You press the button. The ball lets out a little jingle and something flashes across the LED screen.

"The flesh is weak. What do you desire?"

Look what part of Ivan's body is most damaged and slash at it if the shooting has stopped and I won't get friendly fire'd.

You charge across the room in slow motion, watching as ivan, still partially on fire, straightens up and looks over at Sir. Lockerlot. He sees you coming just as you take a hard swing for his shoulder.

[dex:4+1]
[ivan dex:6+3]
[uncon:2+1]

You bury your blade several inches deep into his already injured shoulder and leap back as he swings a counter attack with his other arm. You get away but only just barely.

((I'm rather torn as for participating on the missions. On one hand, Will penalty means the mindrape mission is a no-go. On the other, the second mission seems planned to be a long one, and Anton is severely underprepared. On the third hand, not going to either isn't an option as well, because Anton needs funds for future projects and experience for surviving later missions, assuming there is going to be a "later".

So, I guess the longer mission it is then. Hopefully it will neither be set in a vacuum nor feature totally insulated enemies, because even if Anton manages to fix up the Red Hand to work properly and it ends up not requiring reloads, the base hand laser is pitifully weak.))

"Ah, that looks right... I think. Okay, now for the bigger issue here..."

Dismount the generator unit and examine it, consulting the saved schematic for planned design. Identify fault in construction so as to not make the mistake again, and prepare to begin repairs.
Repairs are gonna need parts, remember? And you lack parts and tokens.

Quote from: Nikitian

((well, i was hoping to try to plan/coordinate our next move with you. but i don't want to waste a turn so I'll just post a fallback action for now. I'd still prefer to coordinate with you, I'm fine with canceling this action, and this action was not signaled in my last post.))

check the area behind me and memorize a path of retreat so if something jumps out of the darkness i can put some distance between me and it without falling off the path.
then send Blue (my pet blue fireball) into the dark room to scout it out and then return to me afterwards.
do not enter the room itself, start out standing a short distance back from the doorway and only move forwards to the doorway itself for a better view after the area near the door has been shown to be clear of threats.
if threatened, have Blue return and defend me while i retreat on my pre-planned route.

(("they took the little ones first" and i'm 4'1"))
EDIT: ((cordinating))
EDIT2: ((going to go ahead and do this))

You send your little fireball through the doorway. It gets about 4 feet in before the door slams shut. You yank it back open, but the fireball is gone.
((@Lenglon Augh, sorry, it took me too long to finish this post  :-[ ))
So, you mean, no moving deeper until we are done with this area. I see.
Hmmm... What would Milno the Snark do? Snark; not give a shit; what else?
Remain competent throughout the ordeal, of course.

Let's see... Our primary objective is to get out of here. Our secondary objective is to learn as much as possible while we are here.
As this is a training session, we should... No. This is a mind trickery training ground, which we entered to prepare for the on-mission dangers, and thus it should be treated no different from a real mission.
The primary objective holds absolute superiority over the secondary one.

Actually, I'd rather go further, if you didn't mind...
Moreover, in no way the primary objective should be put at hazard for the sake of pursuing the secondary one.
... And if we stay and examine the places beyond the doors in this room first, I suggest that we leave the door which resisted opening alone, at least for now. We can always return later, and I'd rather not face the person who is holding it shut; the same probably goes for that strange ever-changing person.
So, I'd rather go deeper? Like if it were a stronghold, lair or something? And if it's more like a maze, with the exit possibly being any door on our way? Or what if we are supposed to visit all of them to find our way out?
Wait. 'Supposed to'. This is supposed to be a training session of fighting off mindfuckery, not a giant puzzle.
We need an exit? Fine! Let us make an exit.
...I see!

With a somewhat sudden motion Maurice half-kneeled before Lyra, so that their faces got on the same level, and, staring deeply into her eyes, asked in a soft, yet deeply concerned voice:
Lyra, please, how did you create that fire?

((@GM Is the door through which we came here still where it was?

Also, unless we somehow finish the training in the nearest time, I'm probably going to miss the next mission. But if we do end it early, I'd probably volunteer for either of missions - the mind-screwing one being the natural choice after finishing the training (yeah, despite me having only 5 points in Will), and the long and crowded one is quite likely to benefit from one more medic on the team. ))
(door is still there as far as you can see.)

Thought? No, no, this place doesn't care about rational thought, besides it is not so rational for that ball of flame to... Wait, if not rational, then perhaps it is irrational? Like belief, or something like that?
I don't believe in that sort of fantasies, do I? ... Do I?
It's not the reality, this place exists in our minds only, and thus it could possibly work here, like it sometimes happens in dreams.

Close my eyes and imagine a book of Shakespeare's sonnets appearing in my hand. Focus on it, its weight and leathery feel of its cover. Try to believe in it appearing there.

((@Lenglon I'm probably out for this and possibly a couple next turns, mastering the craft of believing in improbable things. I'm very sorry for not backing your coordinated examination. Hopefully my endeavour will take us closer to leaving the illusion. ))
[will:2+1]
You have the image in your head, but you can't make yourself believe it. You open your eyes and there's nothing in your hand.

Drag myself away from the fire and chemicals, my weapons with me- I need to survive here.

((If I survive the fight, then I'll gladly go on the 10+ man mission. I need another mission for tokens, if not for the experience and fun of it- my last one had me die early in, though I'm a robot now.))

You drag yourself over toward the exit. The armory master grabs your hand and drags you the rest of the way once you get close.

"Nice try."

Ivan Lets out a long, chittering roar. He staggers on his feet for a moment and lets out a smaller roar.  He turns and looks at Sir.Lockerlot for an instant before charging at him

[ivan dex:3+3]
[Lockerdex:3]

Ivan reaches him before he can even get off a shot. He leaps the table and tackles Dorf to the ground, pinning him.

[ivan str:2+2]
[dorf str:2]

Ivan's mouth, half blown off, opens and he sinks his teeth into Dorf's shoulder, piercing straight through the locker armor, the suit and into the flesh beneath it.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12326 on: February 26, 2013, 11:11:48 pm »

(( I've thought about that guy being the serial killer, but so far nothing else comes to mind - well, okay, maybe the total darkness door is relevant to the Eternal Darkness Mission.
So far, I'd sooner label it all as the Armory Master's HMR Corps Hall of Shame or something like that, rather than say it is based on our memories. That said, I have practically no idea of Lyra's backstory, and, theoretically speaking, it *might* have something to do with her memories rather than Maurice's. Oh, or perhaps he does have a nasty case of stasis dementia and those are snippets of his true past. We can never know with Piecewise's current policy on that sort of things, after all. Stupid awesome GM.

@PyroDesu Since you are the sworn protector of the VR machines, who has already threatened with promises of extreme physical violence those who think of damaging the VR equipment, I don't think anyone would dare oppose you in that. I mean, uh, long live the Queen!  :) ))

EDIT: ((Wow. Ninja'd by the GM himself! Wow. :) ))
Focus on that image in my head. Try harder.
There is a book in my hand, I can feel it. I can feel it, there has to be a book in my hand!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 02:17:19 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12327 on: February 26, 2013, 11:23:25 pm »

"Okay, I'll do it, but if you ****ing ****ers don't shut your nano ghost traps or whatever, I'll ask Ivan to kill me, understood?"

Push the button.

You press the button. The ball lets out a little jingle and something flashes across the LED screen.

"The flesh is weak. What do you desire?"

((This cannot end well.))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12328 on: February 26, 2013, 11:25:09 pm »

"Attention all units, Ivan has neutralized my turret. Judging by how no one mentioned anything about a blazing inferno of hellfire, I'd say that it's safe to say that the turret's magazine is still intact. Can someone please retrieve it and attach it to or slide it near Ivan? It can be remotely detonated in a directed explosion."
Victor remotely sends everyone the specifications of the detonation signal. He then goes to the armory to get a better view.
((@Grunhill: can you please retrieve the magazine and stick it to or slide it to Ivan? I'll be able to detonate it and damage him quite a bit.))
((@Piecewise: Can you please indicate where my weapon's magazine is?))
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 02:50:32 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12329 on: February 26, 2013, 11:28:06 pm »

GRAAH... I HOPE YOU CHOKE ON IT!

jam my laser rifle up against ivans throat and pull the trigger, if that fails grab the monoatomic sword and try to force it deeper into his shoulder and angle it toward his spine

((Calling a strength roll for forcing the sword deeper as im not actually swinging it))

if i cant use a str roll just keep firing laser pulses into ivans neck, try wedging the laser barrel between ivans armor plating if possible
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 09:37:39 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.
Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 2101