Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1131 1132 [1133] 1134 1135 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3945145 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 11: The Wall of Remembrance Grows
« Reply #16980 on: November 18, 2013, 08:06:34 am »

Actually that joke came across as a bit threatening, ima redact it.
((What joke? TELL MEH!!!!!))
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16981 on: November 18, 2013, 09:09:39 am »

((I would also be interested in the dead guy's amps. Since my only armament is currently one (1) pill machine, one (1) borrowed gauss rifle, and two (2) puny fists, I think I need a manipulator more than anyone else.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16982 on: November 18, 2013, 09:39:15 am »

((It involved Stephen becoming his namesake if he broke them, and not in the "hes a genius" way.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #16983 on: November 18, 2013, 09:48:35 am »

((It involved Stephen becoming his namesake if he broke them, and not in the "hes a genius" way.))
((his namesake? I'm confused. Just tell the joke.))
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16984 on: November 18, 2013, 09:55:00 am »

((Stephen hawking, not a genius. Those are your clues.

It was a mock threat based around Aurons love of loot not an actual joke.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16985 on: November 18, 2013, 09:56:11 am »

((...You're threatening to give Stephen ALS?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16986 on: November 18, 2013, 10:00:16 am »

((No, just put him in a wheelchair.
Like i said, it didnt translate correctly.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16987 on: November 18, 2013, 11:56:22 am »

Brother Lars looked down the hole.  "Brother Xan, are you okay?  You look ill."

He turns toward the others.  "Okay.  Brothers STEVEN and Jack, if you feel insufficiently equipped for this, you may stay behind.  Brother Morul, I can carry you down.  Brother Xan... if you need to rest, you may, but your abilities would be useful."

Fly down the hole with Morul (and Xan if he can't get himself down.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16988 on: November 18, 2013, 12:19:59 pm »

"I will go as well."

have lars take Jack down hole as well.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #16989 on: November 18, 2013, 12:39:59 pm »

It is time!

Send the Scout Eye into the next room through the hole, have it fly around in patterns that are as erratic as possible. If it does not find the amp man, perhaps it will draw his fire and protect anyone else's attempt to do the same.

If the amp-man is spotted, MFM him to the best of my ability, analyzing the distance between myself and him in what is hopefully an intelligent rather than intuitive fashion. Target the chest if possible - fist-sized spheres of 4000K heat in the vital regions.

[aux:2]
You drop the controller for the scout eye and then kick it away from yourself when you try to pick it up.

Fly it all the way in. Start punching in commands for a melon-sized ball of extreme heat centered on the Amper's location, as soon as such a chance presents itself.

"I feel like I have invented the craziest handheld videogame ever."
[Aux:6+1-1]
Well, good news first. During it's semi-controlled flight down into the hole and the room the amper controls, you do manage to get a bead on where he is: Behind the second pillar on the right. Bad news is that the drone, after seeing that, smashes itself into a wall and collapses into shrapnel. And it does it too fast for you to use your Manipulator. However, you have a pretty good idea of where he is...you could probably try and get him without major negatives.

"Morul here. What's the situation like, and how can I help? I've got several unorthodox stuff here, including a mathless manipulator, a nonstandard rifle, and I can jump dimensions."

Peer down the hole, and try and figure out how hard it would be to climb down. Maybe use the imprints from Jim's hands?
You think you could get down fairly easily using the hand holds that jim dug on his way down.

((Hurry hurry posty posty))

Miyamoto action: Ask if those support pillars could be cut down without the whole level crashing down, ask what other consequences there could be if all 6 were destroyed.
Check with Steve if Miya could reach the others, the room the Amper is in, or the room with his teammates in any reasonable time.
If yes, start running to get there.

If no, go stand at the right location for firing at the Amper. Ask whether the laser could be used to cut myself an entrance to the Amper's room from here.
If his correct position is found this turn, use laser to hit him from above. If not, use laser to cut down one of those pillars (not the one Jim might target) if reliable targeting data on said pillar can be obtained.

Jim action: If he knows the position of those pillars well enough to be able to use his amp reliably, and if Steve confirms they can be brought down without burying us all, target the one closest to the left of Jim. Use micro amp to cut 2 small diagonal incisions, then matter amp to push that piece out if it doesn't come out by itself(basically, slice out a piece, then push it out if necessary). Aim low enough so that we'd see if he was hiding there.

If not, use 6 of those dense metal spheres of him, send one flying discreetly around each pillar until one bumps into something.

((The idea being to destroy the pillars to deny him cover, maybe topple them on him if we're lucky. Might be able to just heat the space beyond the pillars, but if he just shields himself we still won't know where he is. Charging into that room doesn't seem a viable option, as he'll just cut down anyone who enters. Could try to make our own entrance, but he'll probably notice that. Grenades and the like will just be bounced back, smoke nades useless cause amp senses, and I don't think we'll be able to draw him out of that room. We could starve him to death, but yeah, miiiight take a while. Jim could probably charge in and use his amps to counter his while rest team slips in, but I ain't taking that kind of risk with another's character. Any other ideas are welcome.))

Simus quickly disentangles herself from Jim, making sure to keep away from the opening into their antechamber.

Sorry, Jim, he started to do something to me and I had to break contact.

And yeah, he's down there, big room, 6 support pillars at least. I couldn't tell behind which one he might have been, but if I had more time to look, I'd bet that life-support wheelchair of his will glow quite brightly in infrared. That is, if I don't light the room up normally with a fairly deadly chemical source instead. Your orders on that.

"If you throw that nade in he'll probably bounce it back or, if we can get it in, just shield himself from the chemicals. Maybe if he was distracted it could work. Those things are remote detonated huh? They could be a distraction themselves in a pinch. Maybe if Miya surprises him with laser it could work, could get it close enough to work. As for looking in there, again, not best idea without any distractions I think. "

"Morul here. What's the situation like, and how can I help? I've got several unorthodox stuff here, including a mathless manipulator, a nonstandard rifle, and I can jump dimensions."

Peer down the hole, and try and figure out how hard it would be to climb down. Maybe use the imprints from Jim's hands?

"Glad you're here. Anything that you could do that would give us an opening would be helpful. If you can just appear in that room that would help, but don't take risks with spacemagic if you don't know how it works, I've seen too many die from that."
>It probably wouldn't immediately collapse but it sure wouldn't be stable.
>Not really.
>You could cut your way in, sure.

I'm gonna assume that Anton transmitted the information he got so you have at least a vague idea of where he is. So:
[con:2+1]
You fire randomly into the ground, sweeping the laser up and down and back and forth, cutting a molten squiggle into the dirt.

Considering your new knowledge, I'm gonna assume you don't want jim to waste time and mind ammo attacking pillars you know aren't occupied.

((Dubley Steptimus(the new guy) only has a laser rifle and some armour. He's gonna keep going unless someone tells him IC to turn back.)

Follow the giant robot tracks. Try to catch up.
Your post is in there?
((Sorry I didn't see it.))

Climb onto the giant robot's shoulders. Fire laser at the ground, to test if it works. Fiddle with the dials, what do they do?
You climb up on Lukas' shoulder and fire at the ground. Aw, just like Miyamoto.

The dials seem to effect the intensity and focus of the beam.

((Attention everyone who hasnt noticed yet, i am providing a 3 dimensional map of the area which appears on your HUD centered around my exact spatial co-ordinates.
Please enjoy the provided squadsight based x-ray vision and murder this bastard for all your worth the second i catch a glimpse of him.))

Wait for the erratically piloted scout eye to distract Xavier then take a quick glance around the corner to provide everyone with the location and layout of the pillar room.
If anyone spots Xavier join the assault by [iring a constant barrage of lightning at his face and any conductive materials around him.

He's been spotted, but I'm stopping the few attacks that are going in favor of allowing you guys to coordinate a bit better, which I assume the characters would do given the information they just got.
((Time to defrost another HMRC frozen dinner))
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(should I start now?)
Depends if you want to or not. Your choice.

Catch up with the rest of the group.  Spin up the Pyramid of Power and aim down the hall at where the amp guy is.
"Permission to fire?"

(Reposting in (what I think is) the correct thread)

I answered this in the other thread, but yeah, this is the right thread and also you're in there and ready.

"I will go as well."

have lars take Jack down hole as well.
Brother Lars looked down the hole.  "Brother Xan, are you okay?  You look ill."

He turns toward the others.  "Okay.  Brothers STEVEN and Jack, if you feel insufficiently equipped for this, you may stay behind.  Brother Morul, I can carry you down.  Brother Xan... if you need to rest, you may, but your abilities would be useful."

Fly down the hole with Morul (and Xan if he can't get himself down.)

Open the door, get on the floor, everybody gets down in that hole and then horribly murdered maybe.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16990 on: November 18, 2013, 01:11:50 pm »

((I KNOW! Miya has a UNIVERSAL AMP and all he ever seems to use it for is the same old microwave crap. :( I am disappoint))

((And this, my friend, is where you are mistaken: If something can be achieved with the micro amp, instead of one of the higher tier ones, then you should strive to employ the technique that conserves your mental reserves the most. Why start converting matter, changing the molecular bonds and even the molecules themselves, when heating a small sphere at the base of the skull will achive just the same?
As the Armory Master herself has pointed out, when using amps/manips you should strive to use juuust enough force, juuust enough power to get a given job done. Less is bad, obviously, but more than that is just a waste of valuable mental stamina you might need in the near future.

You can call this economy of force/power/energy/potential/whatever explains it best for you. It is the idea that one uses enough resources (whatever those may be) to get a job done, but no more, for then all that power is wasted. And you never know when that power will be needed. Case in point: when Miya first defeated the Amper, it was with a big showy display of force (thanks to the dice, mind you). And you know what happened next? He barely had the energy left to deflect that LESHO round.

In fact, if we broaden the scope, this is one of the fundamentals of modern tactics/strategy: to conserve your energy until it's needed, not wasting it if it can be helped, so that when the time is right you will be able to wield overpowering force just when your adversary is at its weakest, thereby negating a lot of his strenght.

Besides, you sure you want me to get a (6+1+1+1) when trying to do something complicated? Cause that's a recipe for disaster right there.
If you want Miya to show off his manip, remind him to load up the battle of Hexbarax in VR sometime, so he can fling mutants around of turn their heads into teddybears or something. Until that time though, he'll be trying to play it smart instead of grand).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:15:10 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #16991 on: November 18, 2013, 01:27:30 pm »

"Firing.  I'm going to try and bring the house down."
Fire down the hall at the ceiling.  Try and make the roof collapse.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16992 on: November 18, 2013, 01:28:17 pm »

If I know where the amp man is, vaporize the pillar he's hiding behind - not all of it, of course, just the bit that provides cover. If not, retrieve Scout Eye controller.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #16993 on: November 18, 2013, 01:36:23 pm »

Can someone carry me? And tell me - point a finger - where our target is.
Ignore the fact that I'm a raisin, I can still fry his head to ash.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16994 on: November 18, 2013, 01:44:42 pm »

Miya action: try, again, to use laser on the Amper. Check battery levels afterwards.

Jim action: use matter amp to crush his wheelchair and the guy with it. If he launches an attack, use amps to counter it, possibly send it back. Defending has priority over attacking.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 1131 1132 [1133] 1134 1135 ... 1256