Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1129 1130 [1131] 1132 1133 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3945299 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 11: The Wall of Remembrance Grows
« Reply #16950 on: November 16, 2013, 05:03:55 pm »

((Dubley Steptimus(the new guy) only has a laser rifle and some armour. He's gonna keep going unless someone tells him IC to turn back.)

Follow the giant robot tracks. Try to catch up.
Your post is in there?
((Sorry I didn't see it.))

Climb onto the giant robot's shoulders. Fire laser at the ground, to test if it works. Fiddle with the dials, what do they do?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 05:06:36 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #16951 on: November 16, 2013, 05:13:25 pm »

They're impact detonated, but the detonator doesn't arm for a few meters, 7 and a half on the incendiary, and I have a manual override to arm or disarm. Also, they're launched, not thrown. And if it does detonate near him, then he'll be heavily shielding himself constantly for a few minutes at least, which might give us time we need.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16952 on: November 16, 2013, 06:37:52 pm »

Quote from: Grate -> Everyone
I'm here. I have a gun. How can I help?
Sincerely.
Grate.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16953 on: November 16, 2013, 07:00:24 pm »

((The idea being to destroy the pillars to deny him cover, maybe topple them on him if we're lucky. Might be able to just heat the space beyond the pillars, but if he just shields himself we still won't know where he is. Charging into that room doesn't seem a viable option, as he'll just cut down anyone who enters. Could try to make our own entrance, but he'll probably notice that. Grenades and the like will just be bounced back, smoke nades useless cause amp senses, and I don't think we'll be able to draw him out of that room. We could starve him to death, but yeah, miiiight take a while. Jim could probably charge in and use his amps to counter his while rest team slips in, but I ain't taking that kind of risk with another's character. Any other ideas are welcome.))
((After giving this a bit of thought, my assumptions are as follows:

I don't think normal tactics are going to work. We've already seen him shrug off and counterattack relatively normal stuff. Maybe it'd be possible to out-duel him or bumrush him in some manner, but I wouldn't count on it, and as you imply, whatever we try is going to risk lives.

I also don't think he's going to have any trouble with AOE effects, as we've seen.

What I do suspect he'll have trouble with, though, is doing multiple things at once. We haven't tested this very well, but I suspect he's limited to one action at a time, they're just really, really nice actions.

What this means, then, is that the way to beat him is to bumrush him in several distinct but threatening ways at once. My assumption is that if we keep trying to trade debris trains with him, he'll get lucky before we do. It's also that if we try to throw a bunch of debris at him all at once, he'll just AOE cancel it. But I'm guessing if one of us hurls debris at him from the front while someone else tries to melt him from the inside out and a third person just lasers him from behind, he's not going to be able to handle it all at once; he'll have to make decisions about what he wants to counter unless he can manage multiple solutions in one action (like flying himself out of the way, or making another sphere of kinetic heat if we were firing projectiles from multiple angles).

Again, nothing's certain, but that's my guess. Figure out discrete things that can harm him, use them in a manner that can't be easily countered all at once.))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16954 on: November 16, 2013, 08:50:04 pm »

((Attention everyone who hasnt noticed yet, i am providing a 3 dimensional map of the area which appears on your HUD centered around my exact spatial co-ordinates.
Please enjoy the provided squadsight based x-ray vision and murder this bastard for all your worth the second i catch a glimpse of him.))

Wait for the erratically piloted scout eye to distract Xavier then take a quick glance around the corner to provide everyone with the location and layout of the pillar room.
If anyone spots Xavier join the assault by [iring a constant barrage of lightning at his face and any conductive materials around him.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #16955 on: November 16, 2013, 10:10:46 pm »

((Time to defrost another HMRC frozen dinner))
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(should I start now?)
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #16956 on: November 17, 2013, 12:45:15 am »

((snip))

((Can he survive the wrath of PLATE TECTONICS? Because this factors into my personal plan))
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #16957 on: November 17, 2013, 12:46:12 am »

((snip))

((Can he survive the wrath of PLATE TECTONICS? Because this factors into my personal plan))
((...what kind of manipulator do you have?))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16958 on: November 17, 2013, 01:03:38 am »

((He survived a couple tons of debris falling on him, after falling well over a thousand feet, after getting bitchslapped by said debris. A little earthquake won't do fuck all. Plus we need this place (mostly) intact. If we need to resort to such tactics as bringing the place down on him, just call the Armory Master to help. Besides the current plan of "Hit him with everything, from everywhere" has the most potential, though we won't really get a second chance.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #16959 on: November 17, 2013, 01:23:24 am »

Catch up with the rest of the group.  Spin up the Pyramid of Power and aim down the hall at where the amp guy is.
"Permission to fire?"

(Reposting in (what I think is) the correct thread)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16960 on: November 17, 2013, 03:00:43 am »

Catch up with the rest of the group.  Spin up the Pyramid of Power and aim down the hall at where the amp guy is.
"Permission to fire?"

(Reposting in (what I think is) the correct thread)

"Sure, but be careful, and see if that laser could create another passageway for us to get into that room, so we won't have to funnel through that one doorway. Or just hit him if we find him, whatever's most convenient."

They're impact detonated, but the detonator doesn't arm for a few meters, 7 and a half on the incendiary, and I have a manual override to arm or disarm. Also, they're launched, not thrown. And if it does detonate near him, then he'll be heavily shielding himself constantly for a few minutes at least, which might give us time we need.

((True, which just leaves us with the problem of getting the nade close enough. Maybe this turn we'll get lucky, spot him, and Miya can surprise him by laser out of frakking nowhere, which ought to grab his attention.))

((The idea being to destroy the pillars to deny him cover, maybe topple them on him if we're lucky. Might be able to just heat the space beyond the pillars, but if he just shields himself we still won't know where he is. Charging into that room doesn't seem a viable option, as he'll just cut down anyone who enters. Could try to make our own entrance, but he'll probably notice that. Grenades and the like will just be bounced back, smoke nades useless cause amp senses, and I don't think we'll be able to draw him out of that room. We could starve him to death, but yeah, miiiight take a while. Jim could probably charge in and use his amps to counter his while rest team slips in, but I ain't taking that kind of risk with another's character. Any other ideas are welcome.))
((After giving this a bit of thought, my assumptions are as follows:

I don't think normal tactics are going to work. We've already seen him shrug off and counterattack relatively normal stuff. Maybe it'd be possible to out-duel him or bumrush him in some manner, but I wouldn't count on it, and as you imply, whatever we try is going to risk lives.

I also don't think he's going to have any trouble with AOE effects, as we've seen.

What I do suspect he'll have trouble with, though, is doing multiple things at once. We haven't tested this very well, but I suspect he's limited to one action at a time, they're just really, really nice actions.

What this means, then, is that the way to beat him is to bumrush him in several distinct but threatening ways at once. My assumption is that if we keep trying to trade debris trains with him, he'll get lucky before we do. It's also that if we try to throw a bunch of debris at him all at once, he'll just AOE cancel it. But I'm guessing if one of us hurls debris at him from the front while someone else tries to melt him from the inside out and a third person just lasers him from behind, he's not going to be able to handle it all at once; he'll have to make decisions about what he wants to counter unless he can manage multiple solutions in one action (like flying himself out of the way, or making another sphere of kinetic heat if we were firing projectiles from multiple angles).

Again, nothing's certain, but that's my guess. Figure out discrete things that can harm him, use them in a manner that can't be easily countered all at once.))

((All very true, when we tried to attack him all at the same time it turned out only Bishop's gauss round hit home, so we don't know yet how well he can divide his attention. But we'll still need to find him first, and that bottleneck is working to his advantage. Maybe Mesk can open up a second passage with his pyramid laser though, if we're lucky.))
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 05:20:55 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16961 on: November 17, 2013, 06:59:54 am »

((Brainstorm guys we need indirect assault strategems that do not harm him on their own, like... pokeballs or... kittens...

You think we could disable his life support with an EMP?
Or maybe we could "accidentally" rupture some water pipes and i could electrocute him?))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16962 on: November 17, 2013, 07:13:32 am »

((We need a combination attack, in as many forms and from as many directions as possible. We have amp and manipulator users attacking him, plus somewhat conventional weapons fire directed at him.

Do we have anyone with kinetic amps besides whoever is piloting Gilgamesh? (Auron?) A good kinetic stomp from above could do wonders in the "surprise attack from out of nowhere" category.

I think the Avatar could use that big-ass laser too, if it had good targeting info. Which, if he succeeds, Anton might be able to provide next turn.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16963 on: November 17, 2013, 07:27:28 am »

((My current plan is: hit him with lightning bolts and provide squadsight while the ampers go nuts and miyamoto lasers him through the roof." But its a very direct plan and if it doesnt kill him outright we need to sustain the assault without allowing him to counterattack.

With an indirect backup plan we can hopefully harm him by turning something seemingly innocent into something hideous and dangerous like the little blue guys from Galaxy Quest.
It doesnt even have to conflict with our "more dakka" plan, it could simply extend off of it as a contingency.

Edit: as for amps and targetting data, Auron is already providing accurate squadsight and just needs to scan Xaviers room but is only equipped with gungnir, his heavy laser, a reiterpallasch and a shield that takes both hands to wield. I could try grabbing michaels amp but survival trumps looting if the loot can be collected later.))
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 07:45:05 am by Unholy_Pariah »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #16964 on: November 17, 2013, 08:06:05 am »

((Brainstorm guys we need indirect assault strategems that do not harm him on their own, like... pokeballs or... kittens...))
((I say you all wear glasses. He would never dare to harm a man with glasses. Or maybe dress as women. I'm sure he wouldn't be as ungentlemany as to hit a woman.))
Pages: 1 ... 1129 1130 [1131] 1132 1133 ... 1256