Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Let's Play: X-COM! ULTRAWUSS MODE! [Update 11: Rainbow Nation]  (Read 43462 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: X-COM! ULTRAWUSS MODE! [Update 2: Just Like 'Nam]
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2012, 07:00:53 pm »

: Lasers indeed! No self-respecting guardsman would be caught dead without his lasweapon!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 07:14:43 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2012, 07:02:32 pm »

I will offer no opposition whatsoever to this laser research. :3
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2012, 07:07:15 pm »

: Commander, I volunteer to supervise our research into Light Amplified Systematic Energy Refractors.  I believe many of my collegues would be willing to donate their research staffs to this endevor.

*Rubs hands together*

Researchers...

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2012, 07:25:18 pm »

Yes, lasers. If we can spare the staff, medikits as well. Assuming we don't have those already...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2012, 07:47:22 pm »

Yes, lasers. If we can spare the staff, medikits as well. Assuming we don't have those already...
We have medkits, they just need to be manufactured.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2012, 07:54:41 pm »

My priority of research:
1 - Medkits (experienced troops are best troops)
2 - Laser weapons (the laspistol is imo better than a stock rifle... so yeah).
3 - Detector (it's nice to know where the aliens hide no?)
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2012, 08:01:36 pm »

One tip, in case you didn't know it: having an item in both hand slots while wielding a 2-handed weapon (like Sir Khan did with autocannon and a rifle) incurs an accuracy penalty. I know I used to have people walking around with lazor rifles and grenades primed all the time and wondered why I kept missing stuff. Corpses were randomly exploding. Everything was more !FUN!
Fixed it for ya.
I generally used to keep a laser pistol in the right hand of my rocket launcher guys and a launcher in the left so they would use the pistol for oppertunity shots and not randomly blow themself/everyone else up by hitting a tree. Sure TU's would be wasted holstering it to the leg/belt for better accuracy, AND I'm pretty sure there was an accuracy hit from firing left handed, but it seemed worth it.
Edit: Also You can't go wrong with laser pistols on auto as decent rifle replacements with higher damage, no need for ammo, and you can knock over walls to boot.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 08:14:39 pm by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2012, 08:09:17 pm »

Lasers are always nice.

BUT NOT AS NICE AS HARPOON GUNS.
"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2012, 08:42:18 pm »

One tip, in case you didn't know it: having an item in both hand slots while wielding a 2-handed weapon (like Sir Khan did with autocannon and a rifle) incurs an accuracy penalty. I know I used to have people walking around with lazor rifles and grenades primed all the time and wondered why I kept missing stuff. Corpses were randomly exploding. Everything was more !FUN!
Fixed it for ya.
I generally used to keep a laser pistol in the right hand of my rocket launcher guys and a launcher in the left so they would use the pistol for oppertunity shots and not randomly blow themself/everyone else up by hitting a tree. Sure TU's would be wasted holstering it to the leg/belt for better accuracy, AND I'm pretty sure there was an accuracy hit from firing left handed, but it seemed worth it.
Edit: Also You can't go wrong with laser pistols on auto as decent rifle replacements with higher damage, no need for ammo, and you can knock over walls to boot.
Yeah, I stole the heavy weapons guy's rocket launcher and gave him an autocannon today when I started playing X-COM again. He "reacted" to an alien running in front of the line of guys he was standing behind while everyone was jammed inside because 2 sectoids and a cyberdisc were literally right outside the door and had us pinned. We took a lot of damage from that rocket and I ended up savescumming when the last soldiers were ko'd by smoke from a smoke grenade I threw.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2012, 11:09:04 pm »

Update 3: Hello, You'll Be Dead Soon

After our successful but costly mission, a few days pass waiting for resupply. As usual, the gear for our new recruits arrives before they do.

Goddamnit.

Our scientists finalize a report on laser weapons technology, and under the advisement of several staff members, research begins on formally weaponizing them in pistol form. I dislike leaving our recovered materials untouched, but for the moment better, non-explosive equipment sounds like a sound investment.

Not long after, the recruits themselves show up.

Commander Irony: ...huh. Another horrible experiment, I take it?

Xenio: What? No! Can't you see I'm a Muton?!

Commander Irony: ...what's a Muton?

Xenio: You serious? You're the crack team defending this stupid rock? Man, you guys are totally paying me in advance from now on. Sectoid chow waiting to happen, I tell you.

Commander Irony: ...

Apparently he's an alien working for our side now. Normally I'd have concerns about his loyalty, but he seems like enough of a dick to be a callous mercenary like he claims.

: Commissar Bane, reporting for duty, sir! You can rest assured that no alien scum or cowardly wretches will escape justice on my watch.

Commander Irony: ...that's nice, but when you say "cowardly wretches"...

: Sometimes soldiers need encouragement, sir. Encouragement to do what is right.

Commander Irony: ...please don't shoot my operatives.

: ...that sounds awfully unorthodox, sir. I'm not sure what I can promise you out there.

Eager recruit. I was inclined to flinch at that knowledge, since it pretty much guarantees he'll be dead soon.

Kilroy The Grand: I say, rather looking forward to this scrap. Hooligans must be made to pay for my penny-farthing! Hooligans, I say!

Commander Irony: ...what exactly is a penny-farthing, again? And who trusted you with high explosives?

Kilroy The Grand: You did, good sir! A wise decision, I might add!

Commander Irony: ...clone or...?

Miranda: Yes sir! Latest cloning technology, indistinguishable from sisters! Sharp one you are, sir!

Commander Irony: ...so are you here to avenge your sister's death on the aliens or certain former allies you consider responsible?

Miranda: Very perceptive, sir! Do you live all your live in a B-movie? It might explain some things!

I find it impossible to shake the feeling that these new recruits are divine punishment for getting the last batch killed. And if this is the price of failure, I'd damned better make sure it doesn't happen again.

((No time for a proper update, so you get a mini/introduction one. I have the updated sheets for people who survived the last mission, I'll get those up a bit later.

Incidentally, does anyone know if stats change during combat, or only after missions?))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2012, 11:17:22 pm »

Bane looks pretty solid. He'll probably be dead soon of course, but such is a commissar's life.

Perfect introduction, by the way  :D

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2012, 01:17:28 am »

Looking forward to seeing my numbers, Commander.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2012, 07:14:27 am »

Incidentally, does anyone know if stats change during combat, or only after missions?))

I'm pretty sure they change only after missions.
There also seem to be some bonuses for ranking up.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2012, 08:03:34 am »

I think bravery goes up with rank up.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2012, 10:06:34 am »

Oh, can I sign up too? Here is an attempt at making a character:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:34:48 am by hostergaard »
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17