Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Let's Play: X-COM! ULTRAWUSS MODE! [Update 11: Rainbow Nation]  (Read 43443 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: X-COM! ULTRAWUSS MODE! [Update 4: Needs More Lasers]
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2012, 01:05:20 am »

In related news, juggling the loadouts for everyone is a complete pain in the ass, mainly because I have to go unequip everything then find its right owner. And remember who ordered what autocannon ammo and who wanted grenades.
I think that's a pretty common complaint about this game :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2012, 01:38:26 am »

I am perfectly fine with an autocannon and personal armor. :D This is apparently ULTRAWUSS MODE, so I see no problem with getting moar defense. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: X-COM! ULTRAWUSS MODE! [Update 2: Just Like 'Nam]
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2012, 01:51:38 am »

Best. Character. Ever.

Best. Character. Ever.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Glad you guys like it!

ಠ_ಠ

Jamal is not akbar?  ;D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reminds me of a guy from an X-Com apocalypse LP named Jihad Joe. He was a member of the Cult of Sirius(X-Com and the cult joined forces in order to kill the the BBEG'S). I *think* he lived, despite the fact he was supposed to blow himself up.

Really? Got a link? Sounds awesome!

Cowards. :P

Commander GlyphGryph used to use a rifle, but then swapped out for a laser pistol (and grenade in the offhand, maybe?). I've been meaning to get a current loadout list going for my own sake, but I could get an inventory/model screen for everyone if you wanted.

Pretty much everyone else has what they requested, with Sir Kahn and Bob Bunny having AP autocannons. Sir Kahn used to have a rifle, as you may have noticed, but I let him keep KB-1's autocannon, albeit swapping out the ammo because everyone else seems to have explosive and incendiary ammo covered. I may switch her back, though, unless SC has a specific preference.

In related news, juggling the loadouts for everyone is a complete pain in the ass, mainly because I have to go unequip everything then find its right owner. And remember who ordered what autocannon ammo and who wanted grenades.

On the note of load-outs; You could give Jamal rifles instead. They have a relatively good TU too. It does not need to be a gun per se, it just need a relatively small TU cost so he can deal with any surprises (rifles are maybe more realistic for a terrorist?), you do not want for Jamal to faint or die (especially as long as he is close to friendly units). Oh, continuing that line of thought; you probably want that personal armor for Jamal.

Please be advised that I have never managed to win the damn game no mater the difficulty (and sorry for accidentally double-posting).

My vacation starts on Friday, so I might not be able to post for a few days. If he dies and you need a character or liked him just make a new Jihad (J)xxxx. There is plenty of people willing to become martyrs! Give him whatever weapons you like but do not forget to have zero primed explosives on the guy. They need to go boom when they die.

Like Jihad Jens, a 40 something perfectly average looking office slave (he sells paperclips) whose midlife-crisis somehow drove him into extremism. That is, during a business trip to the emirates he meets a muftis whose teachings seemed to fill the hole in his life, when he came home he sold everything and moved to some undisclosed mountain in Arabia (I don't know about you but this guy seems like he would love flamethrowers).

Once I get back I might create some other guy, if there is a free spot and the Jihads are dead.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:53:55 am by hostergaard »
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

Derp Sandvich

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes paperclips for their attachments ಥ‿ಥ
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2012, 02:14:03 am »

Huzzah! Urist has another promotion! Urist is credit to team!

Anyway, I'll stick with auto-cannon and getting better armor before switching to laser rifles. Also make sure that any character that has a promotion needs to be kept alive. A high ranking soldier getting killed will really hurt the morale of your troops.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 02:15:52 am by Derp Sandvich »
"He's blind, but he was still able to find the way to the hospital, he vomits, and his lungs are going numb. So what? I don't get why you always want a diagnosis even though they're all doomed. Even a kitten can see it. He got sprayed by a monster's bodily fluids, that should be enough diagnosis. There, he has lupus. Happy? He's going to die. Like everyone else. I know it because I'm better than all of you, because I know how to use a goddamn crutch. Where the hell did you put the sunshine?" ಠ_ಠ

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2012, 02:48:23 am »

Here ya go.
It's not until near the end of the LP, but the whole thing is fun.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2012, 04:33:23 am »

Here ya go.
This is an interesting read. I think it personifies my issue with spamming screenshots as a narrative approach, though; I really couldn't tell what the hell was going on half the time.

Unfortunately, my own experience with Apoc was tragically short. I didn't like the wonky, unintuitive interface and wasn't sold on the squad/shooting mechanics, but the real dealbreaker was when my repeated attempts to go up a hill were interpreted as walking in the opposite direction of said hill.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2012, 09:07:09 am »

I think X-Com Util has something to save equipment loadouts. Never used it myself before, so I don't really know how it works.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2012, 09:55:16 am »

Bravo for the finely executed operation.

As for XcomUtil, here's a linkie.

Be sure to check the full list of features before installing. That is, if you choose to install it.

Basically XcomUtil is a program that fixes some bugs and adds/removes some features, each and every single one of these changes is optional so you won't have to take the good with the bad. On one hand you have simple aids like the aforementioned loadout saver, at the other end of the scale you can get the vastly improved starter base and remove all PSI actions from the game altogether. You can even toggle all fights to occur either night or daytime if you're so inclined.

It's pretty handy for some little convenience tweaks. Makes the base vanilla game a lot more enjoyable.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2012, 02:29:43 pm »

Here ya go.
This is an interesting read. I think it personifies my issue with spamming screenshots as a narrative approach, though; I really couldn't tell what the hell was going on half the time.

Unfortunately, my own experience with Apoc was tragically short. I didn't like the wonky, unintuitive interface and wasn't sold on the squad/shooting mechanics, but the real dealbreaker was when my repeated attempts to go up a hill were interpreted as walking in the opposite direction of said hill.

Apoc interface is good enough in real time.
Having androids armed with dual autocannons flinging HE and IN rounds at full auto was and still is a thing of fucking beuty.
So what if they had no accuracy.
Sadly the soldiers had "inteligence" that sometimes made them seek cover in the most retarded places possible.
And i never liked the turn based system in Apoc... it seemed too slow.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2012, 02:59:12 pm »

I consider XComUtil and UFOExtender to be vital to really enjoying X-Com. They remove a lot of bugs and make a few things like loadouts less tedious.

I think I'll add in a recruit request:

Name: Shadow
Role: Scout - Try to leave enough TUs for reaction fire at the end of a turn
Equipment: Laser Pistol, smoke grenades, flares, and either a stun rod or motion scanner.
Stats: High Reaction is required (45+ if you can get it), good bravery and TUs are a plus
Description: A sneaky recruit who is rather jumpy. Good reaction times are helpful, but no one is quite sure what Shadow is really up to.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2012, 07:02:13 pm »

For SC, I'll take any semi-accurate weapon, really. Lasers seem surprisingly inaccurate, though. Spray n' pray can work with rifles, though!

Actually, I take that back. Laser rifles are almost as accurate as the conventional rifles. I'll take one of those.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 07:42:06 pm by Jacob/Lee »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2012, 08:15:28 pm »

I consider XComUtil and UFOExtender to be vital to really enjoying X-Com. They remove a lot of bugs and make a few things like loadouts less tedious.
Hm. I'll have to consider these, but I'm not really certain enough of the game proper to feel comfortable with feature/balance adjustments.

Actually, I take that back. Laser rifles are almost as accurate as the conventional rifles. I'll take one of those.
Hard to say when we'll get access to these, though. The normal rifle is decently accurate until then, but its damage is a bit low.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2012, 08:19:30 pm »

Hm. I'll have to consider these, but I'm not really certain enough of the game proper to feel comfortable with feature/balance adjustments.

That's ok, you can specifically choose which parts to use. I strongly recommend getting them for the bug fixes, if nothing else. And the ability to save weapon load outs, view character stats on the equip screen, and re-order your guys so they show up in the proper places on the Sky Ranger are less balance adjustments than removing annoyances from the game. No need to mess with weapon changes or the like.

If nothing else having the bug fixes in place is worth adding them for by itself.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2012, 08:35:01 pm »

I second grabbing the tools and enabling the annoyance fixes. Don't touch any of the rest of the stuff without a decent handle on the base game in my opinion, but the things Meph listed are /always/ good.

Bugs and poor UI decisions are just bad.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2012, 10:47:58 pm »

Update 5: Welcome To Hell

Jan 27th

Oh no.

On January 27th, nearly a month after X-COM's official formation, aliens launch a ruthless assault on a major human city. As the premier defense forced tasked with the protection of all of Earth, we have no choice but to respond in force to this outrage.

Especially since I have a feeling where that large UFO we failed to catch went to.

Well fine. If they think they can just drop in on one of our poles, mosey on down to our equator and start terrorizing whoever they please, we'll show them what happens to hostiles that stick around too long.

Even if it is at night.

At 3:09, nearly ten hours after this insult began, our team arrives at the location on the other side of the world.

Fortunately, 3:09 is apparently well past dawn in Jakarta, and we have none of the visibility issues I was so dreading.

Maxclone is the first one off the Skyranger, and plops down to the side right in front of a strange purple alien. He blasts it and the wall it was standing in front of to hell. Three plasma blasts respond from behind, striking the wheel strut between him and it twice and the loading ramp once.

Informed that we have company, Miranda comes off to the other side and offers some ill-aimed fire from a bad angle; the alien is, not surprisingly, hiding in an alley. Xenio does the same from a better angle, and McCannonFodder finally disposes of it with a series of explosions that take out much of the surrounding walls as well. The damage reveals a different alien, which appears hostile but mostly just putters around aimlessly in and around the structures. Miranda readies a grenade as a solution.

Xenio takes point, exploring the building the first alien was in front of using its spacious new doorway. He notices a civilian, and leaves to go around instead so as not to send the wrong message. This leaves him facing and very close to a different civilian near an original door, but the fact that he doesn't shoot him hopefully conveys an important difference between him and normal aliens.

A plasma shot from across the street kills the civilian still hiding in the building. Great. I'm sure that will be labeled our fault somehow.

McCannonFodder moves back in to get access to the street without cramping Xenio, only to encounter a plasma blast streaking past him from the northeast. He wisely retreats for now.

Kilroy, seeing an opportunity for his unique skills, begins moving into position. Unfortunately he has some difficulty moving under his own power, being laden down with explosives as he is, and fails to get into position in a timely manner. The known alien takes out its frustration on the building's corner, presumably aiming for Kilroy. Kilroy shuffles his heavy load into place and opens fire, but unfortunately misses.

Realizing that Kilroy is completely in the open, Sir Kahn jumps directly in front of him and opens fire on the alien. The resulting explosions kill it and level most of the northeastern wall. And a bit of the northwestern wall.

Stone Cold begins moving to the southeast, only to find himself the target of a plasma bolt. A quick glance around reveals no attacker, and he ducks back under the Skyranger until it's safe. Dr. Euchre is on it, priming a smoke grenade, then moving into position and throwing it into the alley the shot apparently came from.

Back in the house, McCannonFodder sights an alien; whether the one that murdered the civilian or not is difficult to say, as it seems too far to the southwest. Having an explosive weapon and some intervening, very close walls, McCannonFodder allows Maxclone to have the first shot, which goes wide. I hope nobody minds errant explosives sailing off into the sky around here.

O'Malley has the next shot, as the civilian is still blocking Xenio. Predictably, his cannon fire kills the alien, blows apart the wall it was standing behind, and detonates amongst whatever was behind the fence. Which indeed appears to be a home. Well, the inhabitants were probably dead or aggressively far away by now anyway.

Meanwhile, Miranda tries to get a good angle for her grenade. She can't, though she manages to see the beast hiding behind the slightly on fire shed (I guess those barrels were full of chemicals). Unfortunately, she lands the grenade on the roof in her efforts to get it over, since getting it straight through wasn't an option.

Xenio scouts across the street while McCannonFodder watches from a nearby window. He quickly discovers that adjacent to the somewhat ruined home the alien was standing in front of is an open space with another building on the other side. While scorch marks on the ground make me suspicious, Xenio assures me that the living civilian standing right in the middle of said wall is definitive proof that there's no aliens over there. He and most of the rest of the squad begin slowly advancing down the street.

Meanwhile, GlyphGryph and Bob Bunny begin slowly advancing through the smoke, while Miranda advances similarly cautiously through the alleyway where the alien that shot at Maxclone was. She abruptly notices an alien trying to shoot a civilian as he hides in a smaller building next to a gas station, and reflexively nails it in the back with her laser pistol.

Miranda then notices the strange beast from earlier right next to the civilian she just saved. Wary of the laser pistol's inaccuracy, she attempts a carefully aimed shot, which hits but does not kill it. A small burst of automatic fire later hits the wall right next to her twice and sends the third host safely into the air, and a more casual final shot simply misses harmlessly. Bob Bunny and GlyphGryph attempt to charge into the smoke to help save him, but are entirely too far away.

Sure enough, the beast soon rips the hapless civilian apart. GlyphGryph and Bob Bunny arrive and open fire on the beast, but fail to kill it. Miranda attempts to toss a grenade, but finds the pumps covered by a roof, preventing a clean overhand throw. Instead she moves back a bit and tosses it through the entire length of the short alley, landing it near enough to the beast to kill it.

Xenio enters the house whose wall was ripped open by O'Malley's cannon fire, and immediately spots another purple alien. He opens fire, killing it instantly.

The rest of the team continues moving down the street, noticing two more of those strange orange brutes hiding amongst the myriad buildings to the southwest. They also manage to notice an alien hiding in a tiny house to the southeast, which GlyphGryph and Bob Bunny were headed towards. The street team's solution is to move out of line of sight of the windows for now.

GlyphGryph also encounters a second beast near the house, but it is gunned down surprisingly easily by GlyphGryph's valiant efforts.

Unfortunately, a civilian soon appears at the top of the stairs. Nevermind that there's a corpse on the ground floor already, clearly it's time to come down. With no time left for a careful assault, several explosive members attempt to crack the building without harming the civilian, just a stones' throw from the alien. Stone Cold even gives his "sniping" skills a shot... which actually hits dead on, but fails to kill it. Eventually very well-aimed explosive fire succeeds in downing the creature without killing the civilian.

Meanwhile, the orange brutes begin taking fire from those members not concerned with the little house, which they respond to by continuing to amble around. Commissar Bane even lights both of them on fire, which still fails to convince them to vacate the area, either in attack or retreat.

The murderous assault is punctuated by a plasma bolt flying through a doorway, between the trays of a rack of some sort, and killing a nearby civilian, confirming a more intelligent nemesis amongst the structures. Soon our soldiers' approach reveals it: another purple one hiding behind its orange beasts. Commissar Bane moves into position, firing into one window near the corner, out the other, and striking it directly twice.

Needless to say, it's roasted to a crisp, and its bodyguards don't last much longer.

That should have been the end of our efforts, but something still felt off. As our soldiers commenced their sweep of the area, they discovered a sealed-off room in the second story- the only staircase having been damaged beyond use at some point. Unfortunately, the walls were apparently made of iron, withstanding several explosive rounds and a grenade in a different region. Even more unfortunately, Dr. Euchre attempted to assist by cracking open the room from the ground, enabling visibility from the ground. This resulted in an errant laser blasting a nearby civilian.

God damn it Euchre.

Fortunately, the source of our unease is eventually discovered- the very first alien we slew had apparently only been dazed, and had recovered. Which is actually rather unfortunate, as a live specimen would have been most fascinating. As it stood, Miranda shot it with little fanfare.

Turns out we did recover an alien alive after all, however. One of those orange brutes, which apparently someone's decided to call Reapers, apparently survived the conflict. My guess would be it's the one gunned down by GlyphGryph, as all the others were taken out by explosives and/or fire, but who knows. Well, I guess the lab techs or recovery team does, but enough of those guys.

Research on alien alloys is completed soon after. Turns out this stuff could be fashioned into body armor, which makes me wonder why nothing we've seen so far has done so. Maybe it's too expensive for the likes of them, or maybe it just didn't occur to them?

In any case, I reluctantly put this fascinating new approach on hold to investigate our live Reaper. I'm not sure how long he'll keep, if nothing else.

Spoiler: Announcements (click to show/hide)

((I'm guessing I should have taken more than a single screenshot this mission. Oops.

Also, frankly shocked that everyone wasn't slaughtered. The fact that it counted as daytime obviously helped immensely with that.))
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 11:35:06 pm by IronyOwl »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17