Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: Let's Play: X-COM! ULTRAWUSS MODE! [Update 11: Rainbow Nation]  (Read 43432 times)

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: X-COM! ULTRAWUSS MODE! [Update 2: Just Like 'Nam]
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2012, 10:35:14 am »

Oh, can I sign up too? Here is an attempt at making a character:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2012, 11:40:43 am »

Best. Character. Ever.
This is a blank sig.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2012, 01:02:46 pm »

ಠ_ಠ

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2012, 03:48:32 pm »

Best. Character. Ever.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Best. Character. Ever.

Still no time for an update, but the updated statuses should be available in a moment.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2012, 04:17:40 pm »

Oh, can I sign up too? Here is an attempt at making a character:

Reminds me of a guy from an X-Com apocalypse LP named Jihad Joe. He was a member of the Cult of Sirius(X-Com and the cult joined forces in order to kill the the BBEG'S). I *think* he lived, despite the fact he was supposed to blow himself up.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Posting to watch. May make a character at some point.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Update 4: Needs More Lasers

17th January
Research into laser pistols is complete. As soon as our current run of Medi-kits is complete, we'll begin a test run of these new weapons. In the meantime, I've ordered a long-overdue autopsy on those aliens we killed.

In related news, loading all of the appropriate gear onto the Skyranger proved somewhat challenging. Apparently my crack squad of obvious lunatics likes to bring along more explosives than can comfortably fit on a cargo plane.

Shortly thereafter, our new living quarters are constructed, and I order two more scientists to round out our research crew. Two days later, the alien containment facilities are completed, though I doubt we'll get the chance to use them.

A day after, on the 20th, our engineers complete the Medi-Kits. Experimental production of laser pistols commences.

21st January
Autopsy and analysis of the alien corpses we recovered is complete.

Apparently we're dealing with an engineered race. Disturbed, I make the difficult decision to look into alien alloys rather than laser rifles. I'd like to see what their craft are made of, and we haven't even seen the pistols in action yet.

Speaking of which...

I feel it may be useful to examine all of the armaments available to X-COM together. Notably, these pistols are now supposedly the most powerful and least accurate weapons in our arsenal outside explosives or heavy cannons.

They also prove surprisingly easy to produce, and soon all of our pistols and most of our rifles are swapped for these new weapons. Stone Cold remains the only soldier using a rifle over a laser pistol or heavy weapon.

Jan 27th

UFO spotted in Spain, already on the ground. We should be able to hit it during the daytime. Assuming we can avoid blowing it up entirely, with at least half our squad armed with too many explosives, it should be a relatively quick and easy mission.

I probably shouldn't damn my own troops before a mission by saying stuff like that.

Complications. About halfway to the site, a much larger UFO is spotted over the north pole. I doubt we'll be able to jump straight from the smaller one to the wreck of the larger one.

Fortunately, it's going too fast for our interceptors to catch anyway. I dispatch them anyway, but sure enough it slips away, apparently heading towards Russia or China. I doubt they'll be pleased with that.

At 12:50, the Skyranger arrives.

Right out the bat, we get a Sectoid with its back turned to us visible from onboard the Skyranger.

This is too good to be true, but Maxclone fires off a shot anyway. It goes wide, and he drops off the ramp to the northwest to get out of the way.

Miranda tries out our new laser pistols by unloading indiscriminately at it. I can't speak to its power, but it certainly seems inaccurate but easy to use.

Delicately applied precision firepower once again saves the day.

The ominous sound of doors opening and closing confirms that there are more of the little bastards in some of the myriad buildings around. Hoping to avoid a repeat of the last mission, I order a careful sweep of several.

Maxclone's northwest drop immediately revealed the UFO to him, so several people covered that direction while Xenio, Urist, Maxclone, and Kilroy advanced up the series of shacks leading up to it. Careful sweeping by Xenio revealed the tiny structures to be clear.

Commander GlyphGryph and Commissar Bane, meanwhile, scouted out the area the former Sectoid had been inhabiting. After confirming no hostiles in the immediate area, they made plans to traverse the wheat field to outflank the UFO.

O'Malley began scouring the building directly southeast, with Miranda following behind. Sir Kahn and Bob Bunny began making their way west, giving a cursory glance to ensure nothing was wrong.

The notice of an open door on the structure directly northeast of the UFO, and adjacent to the wheat field the first Sectoid was slain in, all but confirmed its status as hostile. Kilroy began making his way between the shacks to provide his unique services in clearing it.

Commander GlyphGryph, meanwhile, spearheaded the efforts to traverse the field, noticing an alien immediately. He fired at it, missing and causing it to return fire. Unfortunately for it, its shot destroyed the section of hedge Commissar Bane was hiding behind, giving him an easier path to a clear shot. It died in fiery pain soon after.

With the rest of the area seemingly clear, several team members began moving into position to breach the UFO itself. McCannonFodder led the charge, finding the interior to be the classic empty exterior space with two doors leading in. He and Xenio took the north door, while Maxclone and Sir Kahn took the west.

On a rumor, Miranda attempted to put out Commissar Bane's apparently growing fire with a smoke grenade, which succeeded admirably. A second was necessary to take out the patch she missed and save us the trouble of having to explain how many crops and homes we burnt down in our efforts to save everyone.

McCannonFodder breached the second door as well, quickly taking down a visible Sectoid without visible damage to any of the sensitive equipment waiting nearby. Xenio then explored further in, firing carefully, then madly, then casually at another Sectoid that exited from the central room of the ship, all without hitting it. Maxclone and Sir Kahn burst in, and Maxclone quickly finished the job.

Mission accomplished. Casualties: Zero.

Spoiler: Announcements (click to show/hide)
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: X-COM! ULTRAWUSS MODE! [Update 4: Needs More Lasers]
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2012, 11:04:52 pm »

: AHAHAHAHAHA! Burn, xenos scum! BURN!!!!

A-hem. Great work Irony! A no-casualty mission is a pretty good accomplishment, especially after the body count of the last one.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2012, 11:51:51 pm »

Oh also, several people are overencumbered. (Un?)Fortunately I'm a very patient commander and so willing to wait for them to train themselves up.

That said, BunnyBob: You want to stick with the autocannon or go laser pistol? The former is somewhat machine gun like, but doesn't have that good a rate of fire.

Oh yes, and since it's likely going to come up soon: Laser Rifles or Personal Armour? Or a third option, if you've got one.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2012, 12:05:48 am »

Another victim for Maxclone I!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2012, 12:11:59 am »

Personal Armour. Laser Rifles aren't particularly important right now, but having trained troops survive plasma blasts is.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2012, 12:36:59 am »

Seconding personal armor.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2012, 12:45:10 am »

What a I equipped with? Can I see my char sheet? :P

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2012, 01:03:54 am »

Cowards. :P

Commander GlyphGryph used to use a rifle, but then swapped out for a laser pistol (and grenade in the offhand, maybe?). I've been meaning to get a current loadout list going for my own sake, but I could get an inventory/model screen for everyone if you wanted.

Pretty much everyone else has what they requested, with Sir Kahn and Bob Bunny having AP autocannons. Sir Kahn used to have a rifle, as you may have noticed, but I let him keep KB-1's autocannon, albeit swapping out the ammo because everyone else seems to have explosive and incendiary ammo covered. I may switch her back, though, unless SC has a specific preference.

In related news, juggling the loadouts for everyone is a complete pain in the ass, mainly because I have to go unequip everything then find its right owner. And remember who ordered what autocannon ammo and who wanted grenades.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17