Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959222 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8520 on: November 03, 2014, 02:10:05 pm »

You know what make me really sad? I didn't get to do the Newfoundland mission again. I so want at least once to do it with a squad entirely in archangel armour.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8521 on: November 03, 2014, 02:11:57 pm »

MEC punches are nice - especially when finishing other big enemies - but the flamer, gosh. You don't often get to see your enemies panic; very satisfying.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8522 on: November 03, 2014, 04:21:01 pm »

I'm not very fond of genetically modded troopers, on the other hand. Mostly because they ruin perfectly awesome looking power-armor just so there's room to show off their MELD-tube attach points, or whatever it is.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8523 on: November 03, 2014, 04:28:19 pm »

Yeah, their skin sucks, but otherwise I love them: MEC troopers mean throwing away all the research you done on normal troops, while gentically modified soldiers synergize with them. Bioelectric skin especially is awesome.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8524 on: November 03, 2014, 08:52:36 pm »

The bug with MEC kinetic module damage is awesome. My MEC can do 18 units of damage with one strike.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8525 on: November 03, 2014, 08:56:40 pm »

Oh gods, Long War. The freaking Newfoundland map is a Terror Mission map! That thing is unfair! It's too large, you can't possibly get to most of the civilians before the aliens kill them out in the fog.

I got 4. If I'd been lucky, really lucky, maybe I'd have gotten 8. I don't think I could possibly have gotten more than that.

See ya, South Africa. Enjoy being under the alien's thumb until I kick them out later.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8526 on: November 03, 2014, 10:16:38 pm »

If you're playing with the Absolutely Critical second wave option on, the MEC punch dealing massive damage isn't a bug. The game just treats every melee attack as dealing full crits, and applies the critical damage buff accordingly. On Classic, a fully upgraded punch can oneshot anything.

Absolutely Critical also improves flamethrower damage :p
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8527 on: November 03, 2014, 10:25:48 pm »

You can kick them out with Long War?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8528 on: November 03, 2014, 10:47:15 pm »

The thing about MECs is I always go for the kinetic module even though the flamethrower is probably MUCH more useful (It scares Chrysalids!)

I mean, yeah, flamethrower lets you set things on fire, but the kinetic module lets you punch things! With rockets! And the corpses break down walls and blow up cars!

Nah, kinetic module is better.

If it was just an attack it might be a contest, but with a passive movement upgrade for the entire game its really not.  Better damage, infinite re-usability, passive upgrade equivalent to a perk from another class.  Early game it wrecks shop and one-shits cryssas, late-game you're going to be mainly using other things so the movement upgrade is wonderful.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8529 on: November 03, 2014, 10:51:46 pm »

You can kick them out with Long War?
Apparently, you can kick em out, yes.  An actual war of sorts...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8530 on: November 04, 2014, 12:36:58 am »

Every country that falls in long war has an alien base which you can build a new skeleton key and assault to regain control of the country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8531 on: November 04, 2014, 12:41:11 am »

Yep. It's one of the biggest reasons to play LW, since it replicates one of the best parts of the original.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8532 on: November 04, 2014, 02:40:49 am »

I wasn't aware that you could get countries back in the original.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8533 on: November 04, 2014, 02:47:45 am »

Aren't terror maps about finding the aliens rather than getting to civilians?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8534 on: November 04, 2014, 03:22:38 am »

I wasn't aware that you could get countries back in the original.
I'm almost positive you couldn't, but new alien bases were established over time.  So base assaults were common.  Good way to get guaranteed commanders.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 625