Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959176 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8535 on: November 04, 2014, 05:35:18 am »

Yeah, you couldn't get back countries in the original.  But it was almost necessary for there to be a base in that country for a while before they turned away from the council, so there was at least one base mission involved in nipping things in the bud, I suppose...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8536 on: November 04, 2014, 06:09:32 am »

In the original when a country signed a treaty with the aliens they let them build a base.

Couldn't retake the country, but you didn't need them either.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8537 on: November 04, 2014, 09:46:59 am »

I wasn't aware that you could get countries back in the original.
I'm almost positive you couldn't, but new alien bases were established over time.  So base assaults were common.  Good way to get guaranteed commanders.
This. Was talking about base assaults. Because base assaults are boss.

Though of course LW doesn't let you farm easy Elerium from them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8538 on: November 04, 2014, 09:48:15 am »

Yeah, I was wondering, is it good strategy to let a country go so you can assault it? I've not played LW yet, but in Vanilla it seems that the more mission, the better, since it gives you XPs and stuff. Of course, fatigue may change that.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8539 on: November 04, 2014, 09:52:07 am »

I'd argue no for precisely that reason. Your most critical resource in LW is soldier readiness; even with ~75 troops I've usually got ~5-10 in medbay and 2/3rds fatigued, and that's just with ordinary mission load.

Incidentally, that's why I don't go crazy with genemodding despite having a metric fuckton (as opposed to an imperial fuckton, natch) of Meld: they increase fatigue time. More than one or two and you're looking at extra days. It's also why SHIVs are good, since they take some of the pressure off of actual soldiers. Additionally, it's why maintaining a diverse roster is good. If you get to the point where all of your ready-to-go troops are snipers and medics, you're pretty much screwed.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8540 on: November 04, 2014, 09:56:11 am »

Gene mods increase fatigue? Dang, any other thing that influence fatigue?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8541 on: November 04, 2014, 10:05:11 am »

Using Psi also drastically increases fatigue. While I agree with the fatigue system existing, applying it to psi and genemods was a bad decision, though Psi is also totally OP even in Long War.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8542 on: November 04, 2014, 10:11:01 am »

Yeah, not sure I like that. It's actually the first change I heard of I don't like.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8543 on: November 04, 2014, 10:26:50 am »

Eh, I can sort of see a point to it, insofar as that it forces you to make a meaningful choice (because let's be honest, with the upped number of missions in LW, none of the resources are particularly limited).

It also makes it more important to have officers on every mission, thanks to the fatigue-reduction perk they can get.

3. Run Resize Enable

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8544 on: November 04, 2014, 10:30:31 am »

Aren't terror maps about finding the aliens rather than getting to civilians?

Not in Long War. Panic goes up for every civilian that dies, even if you ultimately win the mission. That's what happened to me. I won, no casualties on my side and all aliens dead. But with only 4/18 civilians saved South Africa went up enough on the panic meter to go full red.

I could save it with a Satellite, but then I'd have to add air coverage to Africa and....I'm not sure I can afford that.

Long war is tough. But I like the decisions you have to make at a strategic level.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8545 on: November 04, 2014, 10:37:21 am »

Yeah, not sure I like that. It's actually the first change I heard of I don't like.

Yep.  This is why I turned off the extra psi and gene fatigue in the .ini

LW is fairly customizible.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8546 on: November 06, 2014, 03:21:51 pm »

Personally I'm a fairly big fan of it, since it forces you to make a tactical decision. Do you upgrade that soldier with the nifty genemods and psionic abilities knowing that you won't be able to use them as much? Or do you keep them as merely human to get more use time out of them? It gives you a reason to not necessarily upgrade people other than "I didn't have enough money/meld".

That said if you are making enough use of SHIV's (I have basically at least 1 every mission, sometimes 2 depending on how few soldiers I currently have) then you can usually get by with adding 1-2 genemods to a soldier just fine, since each one only gives like +4 hours or so fatigue.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8547 on: November 06, 2014, 03:31:46 pm »

Too bad not all psi and gene mods are created equal.

It forces some gene mods into absolute "No you stupid moron! It isn't worth getting!" (Then again... those gene mods were always SO BARELY worth it in the normal game...)

As well as giving you a need to coddle your psychic for a while.

Mind you Psychics kind of make up for this and become sort of like a strike team... Genemodded people don't.

But then again the worst part of any turn based strategy game for me... is this excessive need to coddle your troops... Like I am their mother and need to make sure they all get special attention.\

But of course... this is all preference rather then actual criticism... Well except the "Some genes suck" but the base game had that problem too... it just gets aggravated in the long war.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 04:28:43 pm by Neonivek »

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8548 on: November 06, 2014, 05:53:51 pm »

Hey is anyone getting crashing problems? I thought it was Long War causing issues for me but vanilla EW seems to just be crashing every 10 mins, is pretty annoying :/

So far I am pretty much stuck on the first mission because of the crashing but I am liking the extra number of starting soldiers on Long War, it does seem to make it a lot easier.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8549 on: November 06, 2014, 05:57:52 pm »

So far I am pretty much stuck on the first mission because of the crashing but I am liking the extra number of starting soldiers on Long War, it does seem to make it a lot easier.

I am liking the extra number of starting soldiers on Long War, it does seem to make it a lot easier.

Long War (...) easier.

Ahahahahahah.

Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 625