Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1836202 times)

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.5 - UPDATE
« Reply #6585 on: August 27, 2012, 04:52:39 pm »

@zenerbufen
I ran the gui in linux (Debian Sid) and it runs fine, no errors, but there are some font size and color issues.

That might be due to the incomplete port to python3, I don't know how far you have gotten yet.
Thanks! that is the exact kind of issues I was looking for. Hmm, that doesn't look like my 'linux preview' at all. Still some work to do ;) I kind of like those dark obsidian black buttons though! I wounder why that happened. hmm.. It's not a python/3 issue, it's because it's using native widgets (buttons) on each platform, and each platform allows/doesn't allow certain things. Like for instance on the mac you can't change the colors of the buttons, but you can change the border around a button. Windows silently ignores a bunch of stuff that linux and mac support, and linux does weird things sometimes.

Learn How To Play for example I had coded to be blue(all buttons are blue) or system default with a green border on mac, and solid green with black text on windows/linux. I think I like the black button with green border better though. I might leave that 'bug' in place and call it a feature. It looks like linux is ignoring the programmed button color, and inheriting it either from your theme, or the background color of the app.

Also, do you have a GTK theme? On linux it will try to respect the theme but I may have to 'hard code' more items instead of leaving them as 'system default', to get it to display properly. The font issues is definitely caused because I didn't bundle the font I used and it appears to be an apple system font.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 05:04:09 pm by zenerbufen »

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: August 27, 2012, 05:22:48 pm »

Ranged squads should only get one type of weapon, dwarves are too stupid to realize that they have a bow, and bolts instead of arrows. And full quiver never get emtpied out by them. Just make one bow-squad, one crossbow-squad, one javelin-squad, and to on...

Just for my understanding: Is that due to the fact that vanilla dwarfs can only equip one ranged weapon, and therefore treat every form of ammunition the same? Or is it something completely else (dwarfen stupidity counts as something else ;) )

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: August 27, 2012, 05:55:46 pm »

@zenerbufen
I ran the gui in linux (Debian Sid) and it runs fine, no errors, but there are some font size and color issues.

That might be due to the incomplete port to python3, I don't know how far you have gotten yet.
Thanks! that is the exact kind of issues I was looking for. Hmm, that doesn't look like my 'linux preview' at all. Still some work to do ;) I kind of like those dark obsidian black buttons though! I wounder why that happened. hmm.. It's not a python/3 issue, it's because it's using native widgets (buttons) on each platform, and each platform allows/doesn't allow certain things. Like for instance on the mac you can't change the colors of the buttons, but you can change the border around a button. Windows silently ignores a bunch of stuff that linux and mac support, and linux does weird things sometimes.

Learn How To Play for example I had coded to be blue(all buttons are blue) or system default with a green border on mac, and solid green with black text on windows/linux. I think I like the black button with green border better though. I might leave that 'bug' in place and call it a feature. It looks like linux is ignoring the programmed button color, and inheriting it either from your theme, or the background color of the app.

Also, do you have a GTK theme? On linux it will try to respect the theme but I may have to 'hard code' more items instead of leaving them as 'system default', to get it to display properly. The font issues is definitely caused because I didn't bundle the font I used and it appears to be an apple system font.
Yes those buttons are from the GTK theme I am using, they will be different for different users.
I am not sure you can bundle the font for linux without having the user install it.
I think it will only work without installing if you can load the font directly into python from the font file.

QT theme colors are a little buggy for linux users who don't use QT as their main theme (almost everyone who does not use KDE).
Some things like text entry boxes are buggy if the user uses a dark theme, you can get white text in a white box.
If you can get the Base color to use the same color as the Light color it should work.
I have not figured out how to do that so it will respect the users theme settings yet.

I got some of the problems fixed mainly the light colored border around the button zone and some text that clipped under a button.

Here are the changes I made.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I can pm you the altered file if you want to look at it.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6588 on: August 27, 2012, 06:05:11 pm »

Now I know how non-modders feel when they see modders talk about raw-editing. I feel like I should post a picture of a dog in a chemistry lab, saying: I have no idea what I am doing. Because guys, I seriously have no idea what you are doing, but please keep doing it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: August 28, 2012, 01:07:18 am »

Yes those buttons are from the GTK theme I am using, they will be different for different users.
I am not sure you can bundle the font for linux without having the user install it.
I think it will only work without installing if you can load the font directly into python from the font file.

QT theme colors are a little buggy for linux users who don't use QT as their main theme (almost everyone who does not use KDE).
Some things like text entry boxes are buggy if the user uses a dark theme, you can get white text in a white box.
If you can get the Base color to use the same color as the Light color it should work.
I have not figured out how to do that so it will respect the users theme settings yet.

I got some of the problems fixed mainly the light colored border around the button zone and some text that clipped under a button.

Here are the changes I made.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I can pm you the altered file if you want to look at it.

Ok, to start with that is what it is supposed to look like under linux (so different from what your seeing! cross-platform coding is !fun! ).

Yes! I can actually embed fonts with QT. if you looks at resources_rc you will see how the dwarf picture is embedded into the python code. (the actual png included is ignored by the program) I will have to do the same with the fonts. Actually, some of the fonts I used originally appear to be missing even on my own computer now, (yikes)
While your modifications have made it look fantastic, I worry about how those changes will effect how it looks on windows, and for users with a 'light' or 'default' themes under linux. The vertical lines are supposed to indicate which of the tabs require a new world gen to take effect. The fact that you moved them indicated I need to reword that or find some other way to make that indication.

I think we have two options under linux. 1) allow whatever theme is installed to show through (which will be hard esp since 1/3 of the app has a dark background which is non-standard already. that was a pain in the ass in itw own.), or 2) force/hardcode our settings and over-ride the users installed theme to provide a more consistent interface.

How does your modified copy look when you switch back to a default/grey gtk theme?

You don't use KDE but does your system include any of the kde/qt libs? is it possible to force it to render using QT under linux instead of GTK if they aren't using full kde? (sorry for my linux ignorance)

Edit: Meph, it's your mod.. what do YOU think? I personally like arclance's personal theme and am contemplating forcing that upon everyone.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:27:40 am by zenerbufen »

HandFullOfCheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.4 - ANOTHER POLL, YEAH!!!
« Reply #6590 on: August 28, 2012, 02:23:42 am »

Wards are immobile animals, like mines, I believe. Pasture them, and your dwarfs will drag them in place.

Oh, okay. Thanks much.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: August 28, 2012, 07:26:04 am »

Ok, to start with that is what it is supposed to look like under linux (so different from what your seeing! cross-platform coding is !fun! ).

Yes! I can actually embed fonts with QT. if you looks at resources_rc you will see how the dwarf picture is embedded into the python code. (the actual png included is ignored by the program) I will have to do the same with the fonts. Actually, some of the fonts I used originally appear to be missing even on my own computer now, (yikes)
While your modifications have made it look fantastic, I worry about how those changes will effect how it looks on windows, and for users with a 'light' or 'default' themes under linux. The vertical lines are supposed to indicate which of the tabs require a new world gen to take effect. The fact that you moved them indicated I need to reword that or find some other way to make that indication.
Okay if you can embed the font that should fix the font issues easily.
Yes the header text was broken for me it was wrapped to three lines and the top and bottom line were partially clipped out the window and under the tabs.
That may be fixed simply by including the font you use though I should test it again once you add that so I can see if the font works the same on my system.
I think we have two options under linux. 1) allow whatever theme is installed to show through (which will be hard esp since 1/3 of the app has a dark background which is non-standard already. that was a pain in the ass in itw own.), or 2) force/hardcode our settings and over-ride the users installed theme to provide a more consistent interface.

How does your modified copy look when you switch back to a default/grey gtk theme?

You don't use KDE but does your system include any of the kde/qt libs? is it possible to force it to render using QT under linux instead of GTK if they aren't using full kde? (sorry for my linux ignorance)

Edit: Meph, it's your mod.. what do YOU think? I personally like arclance's personal theme and am contemplating forcing that upon everyone.
This is what is looks like with a light GTK theme, my fixes cause the same problem as with the dark theme used without fixes.

You should test dark themes on windows as well I know people use them though I don't have any.

My system does not come with QT libs installed but they are available if you need them.
Installing the python3-pyqt4 package will install the QT and python3 packages you need automatically.
KDE is built using QT so KDE users are using QT already.
I think there are some other window managers that use QT but I would have to look them up.

It is not possible to force QT to render using GTK but it is possible to have QT inherit it's theme from GTK which is what I am doing.
That does not always work with a dark theme so sometimes you have to run a QT program with a light GTK theme.
The problem is usually light text on a light background or black text on a dark background.

I think the easiest way to ensure readability for everyone is to hardcode the colors, otherwise you will have to make a lot of customizations to the .py file to make it work right on all platforms and with both light and dark themes.
You could always get a working hardcoded version out first and then release one that works with the users system theme later.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:50:13 am by arclance »
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

lp_228

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6592 on: August 28, 2012, 08:18:30 am »

Thanks for the reply - this Volcano preset is quite good.

Now another question - what is statue of a gargoyle?

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: August 28, 2012, 10:00:21 am »

Thanks for the reply - this Volcano preset is quite good.

Now another question - what is statue of a gargoyle?

I think I can answer that - it's to be used in a reaction at the "spawn point" workshop to create a friendly gargoyle. Use them against invaders.

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6594 on: August 28, 2012, 11:36:22 am »

Wiki please? I love this mod, It's great but I would like to know more about it (how things work, what they are, without Science.(I'm a monster)). 

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: August 28, 2012, 11:46:01 am »

There was a wiki for a while, but it wasn't super accurate, and Meph decided to replace it with his own manual, which i guess will be in the new version. 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6596 on: August 28, 2012, 11:55:26 am »

I am writing a wiki/manual. But it will be for the next version, I am not doing yet another manual for the current one... but the next one will list everything, I already put about 60h of work in it.

@zenerbufen: I do like the white text on black ground, I did chose the same style for the manual after all. As long as people can read it.

SECRET PROJECT: IT WORKS
Dwarves can run dfhack. Yep, you read that right. Your prophet of armok prays to armok, asking to destroy the invading frost giants with his holy wrath ? Done, run slayrace frost_giant automatically, because the custom written plugin reads out the gamelog. Summon the apocalypse, and Armok sets the world on fire, dfhack runs immolate.

You do some hippie elven magic, sing the song of gaia... and all trees grow back, or all the seeds in farmplots grow to plants. Meddling with the weather, big surface fire? Summon a rainstorm, dfhack runs "weather rain" and it starts raining....

It is all very alpha, and the author of the C++ plugins is expwnent, so you have to thank him for the legwork. And now back to Soundsense, to make the music stage play actual mp3s when you play a song :)

I also reworked Alchemy transmutations a bit, you can now reach every metal, on each map. comes at a price, and I hope it is somewhat balanced. Probably not, but here is the draft I have right now:

EDIT: From our community fort:
(pages of turrets and Meph trying to kill a drow, it dodging or surviving everything, unharmed)
The Deep Drow Shielddancer slams into an obstacle!
The Wandering Spirit disappears into the shadows!
The Deep Drow Shielddancer is uncertain and slows down!
The Wandering Spirit reappears from the shadows!
The Deep Drow Shielddancer loses hold of the ({ironbone horned helm}).
The Deep Drow Shielddancer loses hold of the ({steel blade shield}).
The Deep Drow Shielddancer loses hold of the ({mithril blade shield}).
The Wandering Spirit whirls around and slashes The Deep Drow Shielddancer in the head with the long blade of his welded mithril zweihander and the severed part sails off in an arc!

EDIT2: Looks like we are getting rid of another 2 buildings. Soapmaker gets killed, goes into Chemist... and I think the brick-oven will go into the kiln in some sort. I kind of like the crematory, so I think I will keep it around. It is usually build near refuse piles and creates stench/bacteria, getting rid of unwanted stuff and creates ash/coke, while the kiln is just working with inorganic mats, making new blocks, and burns coke in the process. Feels like 2 different kinds of industries, so I will keep it like that. Oh, make that 3 buildings... The Church of the dark depths and the summoning circle will go into one... I really like the church concept/design, but think they are close enough to be one building.

EDIT3: DONE. Soap is now made in the chemistry lab, and has a 10% chance to leave a glob of glycerol. Can be used for nitroglycerin and dynamite. Bricks are now made in the kiln, 3 boulder and 1 coke are needed to make 12 bricks. Soapmaker and Brickoven are removed.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:18:37 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: August 28, 2012, 05:47:58 pm »

Not sure what to do with the dwarven rune/gargoyle statue/other items from the tech research lab besides the blueprints. What should I do with them?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6598 on: August 28, 2012, 05:50:01 pm »

Dwarven Rune = Use it in the Hall of the mountainking for mages, Gargoyle: Spawn location, build your friendly gargoyle guard.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: August 28, 2012, 05:52:11 pm »

SECRET PROJECT: IT WORKS
Dwarves can run dfhack. Yep, you read that right. Your prophet of armok prays to armok, asking to destroy the invading frost giants with his holy wrath ? Done, run slayrace frost_giant automatically, because the custom written plugin reads out the gamelog. Summon the apocalypse, and Armok sets the world on fire, dfhack runs immolate.

You do some hippie elven magic, sing the song of gaia... and all trees grow back, or all the seeds in farmplots grow to plants. Meddling with the weather, big surface fire? Summon a rainstorm, dfhack runs "weather rain" and it starts raining....

It is all very alpha, and the author of the C++ plugins is expwnent, so you have to thank him for the legwork. And now back to Soundsense, to make the music stage play actual mp3s when you play a song :)

Holy fucking fuck, can you release this as an alpha, just so I can try it for myself? You've seriously broken some incredible ground with this.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 749