Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 428 429 [430] 431 432 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1836189 times)

HandFullOfCheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.4 - ANOTHER POLL, YEAH!!!
« Reply #6435 on: August 21, 2012, 03:26:36 pm »

Vermin actually dont have a pathfinding algorithm and just spam around a bit... they pop up anywhere. So, yes, vermin can teleport through walls if I remember correctly. That is vanilla df, not my doing. Would love to turn it off. ;) But they should keep to their underground depth. Vermin behavior is very weird in this game, and science on it is difficult to do.

Okay, good deal. It's really not a problem at all but wanted to make sure. I've been playing masterwork over vanilla for so long, I don't know what weird thing is coming from which anymore haha. Thanks again.

r4NGe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6436 on: August 21, 2012, 04:16:42 pm »

Oh, i forgot - i usually watch out to embark with berserker/legions, but these 2 were normal noncaste dwarfs...
I will do a test fort tomorrow, any other thing you want to have tested? My main objective is to see how fast/how many mages i can rush out, so if you have any other thing you want feedback on.
Curious. What squad/schedule setup are you using?

Riun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6437 on: August 21, 2012, 04:44:02 pm »

I used to do squads of 2. All time train as soon as I carpented wooden weapons+armor stand. Give them Flasks and Backpacks to minimize downtime, bedrooms nearby. I embark with 4Shield/1Weapon/1Organizer/1Observer/1Student/1Concentration/1Teacher. Later drafted soldiers train a lot slower untill they managed to gain some Studentlevels (~6 Seasons for Weaponlord). I assume student levels increase the learning from sparring (which is by far the most effective training method).

BUT then someone saved my organization by giving me the greatest tip of all time: Assign 2/4/6/8/10 Soldiers of same Weapon to one squad. Add multiple Orders (Train, Min2) per Month. TADA pretty much the same as 2man squads, but only~ 4-6 Squads instead of 20ish

On the Topic of Caste Dwarves: Now that i think of it, Whenever I embarked with a legion+normal soldier, they gained experience pretty much at the same rate, only my legion dwarf having higher teaching. Probably because the gets more exp from sparring and when he overlevels his partner, he organizes combat training instead of sparring.

MoreAxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6438 on: August 21, 2012, 04:50:55 pm »

I had an idea the other day, but I'm not sure if it's possible. A type of ammo (or just a special bolt) that splits into a few (non-splitting, or else infinite recursion etc) weaker projectiles upon impact (optimally the first projectile should vanish for balance reasons, and the spawned ones as well to prevent easymode duplication), targeted at N enemies nearest to the primary target. Would obviously have to be extremely difficult to make. Maybe some sort of system of ammo enchantments, where increasingly more expensive enchantments would stack to make a splitting, exploding bolt of ultimate havoc?

I don't know much about modding DF, so this is probably just wishful thinking, but still. Thoughts?

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6439 on: August 21, 2012, 06:59:46 pm »

I had an idea the other day, but I'm not sure if it's possible. A type of ammo (or just a special bolt) that splits into a few (non-splitting, or else infinite recursion etc) weaker projectiles upon impact (optimally the first projectile should vanish for balance reasons, and the spawned ones as well to prevent easymode duplication), targeted at N enemies nearest to the primary target. Would obviously have to be extremely difficult to make. Maybe some sort of system of ammo enchantments, where increasingly more expensive enchantments would stack to make a splitting, exploding bolt of ultimate havoc?

I don't know much about modding DF, so this is probably just wishful thinking, but still. Thoughts?

Bolts that boil away, setting loose a "grenade shrapnell" gas.... dont know if that works, but splitting up bolts mid air does definitly not.

HandFullOfCheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6440 on: August 21, 2012, 09:58:34 pm »

Hmm, so, I'm giving my first attempt at game to make wards and such. I know in the to do list and on the forums, some mention of them needing work but how so? Because I can't even seem to find a way to place them (all just sitting in my hospital's apothecarius)..Is that the problem? lol Or just a temp solution to the problem. Or lastly, am I just dumb and missed them in the build window.

The_Final_Stand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6441 on: August 22, 2012, 03:05:17 am »

Wards are immobile animals, like mines, I believe. Pasture them, and your dwarfs will drag them in place.

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.4 - Html-Manual#2 (beta)
« Reply #6442 on: August 22, 2012, 09:29:41 am »

New Masterwork user here. Is there a guide somewhere that explain how to set the options on OS X, which doesn't have the Masterwork GUI app?

edit: also, I tried to run the Windows' "Masterwork Settings 1.9.4.exe" with mono. It started fine, but said it couldn't find the Dwarf Fortress directory, and then closed.
So I guess that with the correct setting of the directories the Windows app could easily be run on OS X as well.

I have never touched mono so I couldn't help you with that. You don't need wine though, just TextEdit. Hit option-command-f to do a 'find & replace'.

The procedure to change Masterworks Settings Manually is the same on windows, mac, and linux. Meph could you put a small link to this post in the FP? It has come up a few times. (Do you have a FAQ? I must admit I havn't looked in a while myself)

Guys, I can't open the masterwork settings exe with wine.  :c
Does anyone know how to make the changes manually?

The buttons in the gui run a search in the raws for tags and turn those off. As an example, lets take a look at orcs.

goto /MasterworkDF 1.9.4/Dwarf Fortress/raw/objects/
find the file's you would like to tweak, entity_orc.txt in this case. Normally the gui would change every single instance of YESORC[ into !NOORC!

YESORC[CREATURE:ORC] and YESORC[OBJECT:ENTITY] goes to
!NOORC!CREATURE:ORC] and !NOORC!OBJECT:ENTITY]

since the game doesn't see the [ to start the tag, the rest of the line is ignored

In the same file you will later see
!NOMORECLOTH!ITEM_ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_TUNIC]
!NOMORECLOTH!ITEM_GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_GLOVES]
!NOMORECLOTH!ITEM_HELM:ITEM_HELM_HAUBERK]
etc.
to turn 'more cloth' on you would change that to
YESMORECLOTH[ITEM_ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_TUNIC]
YESMORECLOTH[ITEM_GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_GLOVES]
YESMORECLOTH[ITEM_HELM:ITEM_HELM_HAUBERK]

You can do a find/replace all to do this quickly, as you will have to change every instance of the tag. Most settings are all found in one single file, however there are a few that will have entries in multiple files you will have to change.
Don't forget, the non-world regen settings are in:
/MasterworkDF 1.9.4/Dwarf Fortress/data/init/

Information on all the settings is in the dwarf fortress wiki.

If you run into any stumbling blocks feel free to ask for more help.

edit:
in the finder, while you are in the raw directory you can do a search in the magnifying glass box (the one on the finder window, not the one on the top of the screen) for anything to make the search bar appear. once you have that bar, click the + symbol and click 'kind' and change it to 'contents'. A new search box will appear, erase whats in the top search box (DONT CLICK THE x TO CLEAR IT) and use the bottom search box to search for a tag across multiple files. you can just double click the files in that finder window to open them in text edit and do option-command-f for the replace.

edit edit:
What language is the settings program written in? I could try to port it to Qt, which would make it essentially multiplatform. I would need to take a look at the source code though, don't want to promise something and then fail at it later.
Actually PyQT is what I've decided to use after installing every framework under the sun I could find and wiping together way to many alphas. It looks _super_ sharp on all three platforms (full native) runs quickly, and I will be able to distribute it as a small self contained  single file (no external libs) executable for any system that will run dwarf fortress.

I'm just learning QT on the way and dealing with real life. At this point the shell gui is finished and i am currently working at plugging in all the tool-tips. (and playing with colors/fonts/button layouts when I get bored of boring help entries) then the back end vb code needs to be re-written in python (the part i'll actually have fun doing and the bait at the end of the stick). at that point the beta of the new gui is done and it needs to be tested & packaged up for each platform.

Caravan embark profile doesn't work correctly for some reason...
By the looks of things the amounts are not fitting correctly...

That is supply and demand at work! Due to fluctuations in the local markets and the current value of dwarven currency on the global markets you might not always be able to afford the pre-made build-outs. It's a feature! Not a bug. (I'd expect it to get 'worse' as the trade-caravan 'arc' gets worked on, and toady works more on the global economy.)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:06:19 am by zenerbufen »

MoreAxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6443 on: August 22, 2012, 10:51:29 am »

From what you've described, the raw editing part of changing settings seems like the easiest part of the whole thing, since at it's core it's just a find-and-replace, or even something as simple as checking for !NOORC! at the beginning of the line (though I would rather use a regex like "^\s*!NO[A-Z]+!", since most lines in raws begin with whitespace). Have you checked out PySide as well?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6444 on: August 22, 2012, 12:04:45 pm »

@Moreaxes: Yes, it is simple find and replace for now. Simple from your point of few, I had to set it up, so that everything still works as intended with some lines missing ;)

The shrapnel ammo is totally possible. Syndromebolt that give that target an interaction to shoot shrapnel material emissions on all targets in range.

I also worked a bit on the library system; I havent tested the balancing yet, but it all works.

You need something to write on. Vellum (Leather), Paper (Wood) or Papyrus (Plant)
You need something to write with. Ink (Ash), Red Ink (Blood) and Grey Ink (Graphite)
1 Page + 1 Ink => 1 Essay
5 Pages + 1 Ink + 2 Essays => 1 Book & 10% chance for a "Masterpiece Book"
5 Pages => 1 Textbook (empty)

You can learn in three ways:
Read an Essay about XYZ => Needs 1 essay => 30xp points. 25% chance the essay stays.
Study a book about XYZ => Needs 1 book, 1 textbook => 330xp points, 50% chance the book stays.
Staudy a masterpiece about XYZ => Needs 1 masterpiece, 1 textbook => 1530xp points, 0% chance the masterpiece stays.

Any thoughts ? (Besides: Please draw a flowchart because this all sounds confusing)
(The products that are created for the learning experience, like the "essence residue" are called pages, and are produced inside a container, the textbook. Imagine a dwarf studying a book about farming, and making notes in his textbook. The full textbooks are automatically destroyed by "store textbook in libary" similar to the skill essence, just that it is only ONE item. I will use the same fix on the essence residue in future)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 12:33:28 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

sharix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6445 on: August 22, 2012, 12:27:37 pm »

I scheduled some stone bedroom sets but they aren't being made. Other scheduled jobs (also with stone) get done quickly. What's the problem?

marcusbjol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6446 on: August 22, 2012, 12:31:23 pm »

Love this mod.

I cannot seem to figure out how to use crates and storage units.  I have a storage unit built, several crates in my trade depot, but all the reactions in the storage unit are red.  How do I unpack the crates?   Am I missing something?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6447 on: August 22, 2012, 12:34:58 pm »

I scheduled some stone bedroom sets but they aren't being made. Other scheduled jobs (also with stone) get done quickly. What's the problem?
Masonry needs Mason, this stuff uses Stonecrafter. Is the labor enabled ?

I cannot seem to figure out how to use crates and storage units.  I have a storage unit built, several crates in my trade depot, but all the reactions in the storage unit are red.  How do I unpack the crates?   Am I missing something?
Burrows...

Workshop reactions are red, even with all the materials aviable.
Bug:
If a workshop is in a burrow, even if the burrow is inactive, then it accepts only materials within the same burrow.
Solution:
Make a bigger burrow including the materials, or keep the material stockpiles within the same burrow. Or delete the burrow.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

marcusbjol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6448 on: August 22, 2012, 12:44:18 pm »

Burrows...

Workshop reactions are red, even with all the materials aviable.
Bug:
If a workshop is in a burrow, even if the burrow is inactive, then it accepts only materials within the same burrow.
Solution:
Make a bigger burrow including the materials, or keep the material stockpiles within the same burrow. Or delete the burrow.
[/quote]
That was it.  Thanks.

sharix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6449 on: August 22, 2012, 01:05:36 pm »

Thank you very much zenerbufen!
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 [430] 431 432 ... 749