Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Roll to Dodge a Trap  (Read 6812 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dodge a Trap
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2011, 07:44:31 pm »

:o

With the [1] I did not expect something like that happening. Made me nearly fall in laughter!

>Try to find way out of room by cutting my way out. Think about the quality of the fairy. Try to make garments from the plants nearby.

Also, I miss my ol'grandad, thought I was gonna die by that mushroom too.

Edit: Did I just...Impending doom...warm feeling...nevermind. "Adventure!"
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 11:19:08 pm by Tiruin »

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2011, 11:35:27 am »

Name: Derm: (Note: You're on the road, so I'll take your roll as "Head down the road". You don't really know what possesses you to do something so rash, but you start running down the road, towards the town. Not even you know what drives your mind...The thought of saving innocents? Looting their corpses? Slaying the dragon?...We'll see when we get there...[6] And, incredibly, you make it there extremely soon. Something is niggling in the back of your mind again, and it's...[5] Oh, right. This is extremely strange...You had entered what seemed to be a room, but you figured that it had just looked like it was outside. But, either this room is huge, or...Look! You spy the town up ahead. It's easy to spot due to the flames, but...You don't hear anything. No clash of battle, no screams of mortal wounds...

You reach the open town gate, and peer inside. From your view you can see the corpses of several dozen citizens, a few of them clad in mail. Almost everything is burnt horribly, with only scraps of flesh and clothing hanging on the black, skeletal frames. The smell is nauseous, and your stomach...[3] Holds out. Not very well, but it does, for now anyways. You pick your way through the massacre, trying to be...[5] as stealthy as possible. There's three buildings still (Mostly) standing, and they seem to be...[3] What looks like an inn, something else, and...Possibly a house? Should you investigate any of them, or...?

Name: Nassir: Does smart things! Looking dubiously at your already torn and wretched rags, you...[6] Manage to find a very large, thick piece of cloth hanging from it somewhere. Huh, you had never noticed that before...You wave the rag over the small slit in the middle of the room, and what happens then...[3] A small bit of green gas starts rising from the hole, and at a rapid pace. Thinking quickly, you...[5] stopper the hole with the rag. It seems to work, but you don't know for how long...Just a few whiffs of those fumes makes you feel dizzy. Best not to delay for long.

You ignore the fiendish churning of your idiotic stomach, and continue towards the statue. On a closer inspection, it seems to be about three and a half feet high. The face is warped and twisted, but it looks like some kind of hellspawn. Not something you'd want to tangle with...Good thing that this isn't one of those statues that suddenly reach out and choke you! Or so your mind tells you...[2] SUNUVABITCH, THAT STATUE JUST MOVED. Wait. Did it? You...you can't really tell, but maybe your intuition can...[5] Yes, it definitely moved. Which is probably a very, very bad sign. Between that and the smoke that was rising before (Before you stoppered it), which probably spells out very bad things. Then again, maybe some force is just trying to rive you out of the room...?

Name: Arc: Strange things that shan't be spoken of You steady your mind, and decide that today, you're going to push yourself to the utter limits. In a contest of wills, you and your mind fight against your aching, tired body in the attempt to manage THREE actions. The result is...[6] Beautiful. Absolutely incredible. Your body feels a rush of warm air, and the ache from your muscles just melts away. You're ready to get to work!

Your first task, is to find a way out of the room. This shouldn't be hard...You pull out your Iron sword an start hacking the greenery...[4] Nothing horrible happens. And as such, you...[4] Manage to find the door! But, it wasn't easy, and all that plant-murdering has tired you. Ah, well...You know where the door is now. (Just follow your "Trail".)

Secondly, you...Think about the quality of the fairy. Er, you feel like there's some great, god-like force that's confused, and irritated, at what you're attempting to do. Nevermind though, because you're Arc, the...[1] Fattest, laziest no-good peasant to ever walk the shoreline of the Lake of Stupidity. These depressing thoughts make you feel unhappy...Nevertheless, you think of the "Quality" of the fairy. Despite her tiny size, she was very beautiful. Her body was tight, smooth and most likely soft, and her skin a creamy white. She had long blonde hair, gently flowing down her back. Her eyes were a forest green, deep and tantalizing. The dress she wore was cute and tantalizing, draping over her...Wait! What are you thinking about? You shake these morbid thoughts from your head, and continue on your way...

Deciding that it would be probably a good idea to get some proper clothing on you, you begin to fashion some clothes out of...Uh, leaves and vines. You manage to make...[5] Some pretty good clothes, actually. You grabbed those vines you had seen before, and despite the fact that they smelled noxiously sweet, you used them to wrap the large leaves around your body. It doesn't really provide any sort of protection (At least from monsters), but it's surprisingly comfy, - The undersides of the leaves seem to be soft and fuzzy. What should you do now?

Spoiler: Urist Mcinternetuser (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tiruin (click to show/hide)

Sorry for taking so long! No excuses, just lazy :P.

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2011, 11:37:50 am »

Perpendicular means choosing to go left or right when the road goes forward or backward. You thought I meant parallel.

Investigate the something else.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 11:39:24 am by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2011, 04:33:35 pm »

Indiana Jones the statue. As in push it, pull it, shift it side to side. Anything that will move it out of the way and uncover a hidden passage. Also ask it how's it's doing.

Superior_Tomato

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm waiting. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2011, 04:45:36 pm »

Posting because this is awesome. Also Derm, why aren't you stealing the dead guard's armour?
'Course with Dwarf Fortress, the only relevant question is, "How far away will the ASCII gibs splash on landing?"
5 squares per limb, if you raise the north orthoclase bridge before sacrificing one of them so they have a straight shot to the bottom of the chasm.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2011, 04:47:22 pm »

Didn't help them any, and I imagine walking around in a big hunk of metal while trying to be stealthy would be slightly detrimental.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2011, 04:58:30 pm »

put me on the waitlist.
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2011, 05:06:35 pm »

Posting because this is awesome. Also Derm, why aren't you stealing the dead guard's armour?

Why, thank you kind sir! I'll make sure that your ground baby-shake is made with only the finest of orphans!

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2011, 10:50:25 pm »

OOH OOH OOH, I'll play.

Character Sheet:

40/40 HP
Name:Terkiey
Color:Bleu
Weapon: FISTS
Armor: RAGS
Accessory: NONE

south-west

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? WAIT-LIST MEH!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 11:12:09 pm by terkiey »
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2011, 11:26:37 pm »

Quick post: I'm changing how Intuition rolls work. Previously, I would show you the roll and give some text, but now it'll only be the text. The rolls will still be there, but it's up to you to believe what your gut tells you...Should make things a bit more interesting.

Also: Any suggestions on what I can do to improve the game? I'm open to suggestions. Preferably from the players, but anybody can comment.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2011, 11:35:58 pm »

I think it's good enough as is. You're doing a fine job. Plus I'm glad you made the change with intuition.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2011, 12:41:43 am »

Eep. I go to sleep and then a barrage of posts comes  :-\

I did not expect that kind of clothing either, but I'm the peasant anyway  :D .
> Follow the trail back to the door, then go to next room.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2011, 12:56:08 am »

>Improve the game? I see a load of randomness in it, coupled with a bit of humor and common sense, it becomes great in its own simplicity. Also, the Intuition thing really helps, even if it goes awry at least we have our info.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2011, 12:37:26 pm »

Thanks, Tiruin :P. I love randomness! It's fun ^^. Er, should I remove all visible rolls, not just Intuition? Whaddya think?

Name: Derm: Investigate something... You feel a bit dizzy from the stench of roasted flesh, but you continue on anyways. You set your sights on the strange, twisted house...It doesn't look like anything from this this world at all. The base structure  of it seems fine, but the higher up you look, the more warped and twisted it gets. It's about three stories tall, and seemingly undamaged from the Dragon's attack. With a grimace, you decide that this "House" would be the best place to look, most likely because survivors would hole up in a stable house.

Walking up to the door, you notice that it doesn't have a handle. There instead seems to be a small needle, a dull burnished bronze. Your gut says...Not much. It could be anything from a very bad trap, to a secret mechanism...which activates a trap. You can't see any other way in the house, but you decide to try anyways...[4] You see a window high up, but it's dark and looks like it may be boarded. You return to the door, and the needle is still there...Wait. You notice something on the very tip...It looks like a drop of blood? Why would there be blood on it...?

Name: Nassir: Move an ark statue! You decide that there -must- be something behind that statue. Why else would they put it there? Pah! Fools. No matter, you'll prove them all wrong. You start attempting to move the statue out of the way, pushing and pulling it...[3] You shuffle it over a bit, but not enough to reveal anything. So, as every normal statue-pusher would do, you start to talk to it.

"Ey, mister statue-thing! Yeah, you, the one with the ugly face. How're you doing, man? Isn't it boring being in this ugly, stony room? You know, I heard that a recent bathhouse for Gargoyles just opened up...Lots of pretty statue-ladies, ready to serve the...Needs of anybody who stays. It's pretty cheap too, and it's not like low-level adventurers can kill a living STATUE..."

[2] The statue doesn't respond. Well, maybe it does, but you're too busy assaulting the deep recesses of your brain with indecent thoughts of statue orgies to pay it any mind. The bottom line is, you still can't figure out how to move the statue, and... Your inner-soul is quiet. The guy probably buggered off with that cute goblin-girl who's been on your mind for ages, what a useless waste of a soul...

Name: Arc: Enter...DOOM. Disgusted with all this greenery (Despite the fact that you're wearing some), you turnaround to your previously-hacked trail and follow it to the door out of this room. You open the door and leave this greenhouse for good...You make sure to brace yourself before entering, gods know what's behind here.

You awaken in a tavern. Or, what seems to be a tavern...There's a multitude of people eating and drinking, roaring with laughter and throwing worn out mugs. A fireplace burns heartily, driving the chill from your bones. You're standing just outside of the door, an suddenly it opens! A...[2] brute comes out, walking right over you. At least you get a good view of the floor, a very nice floor it is indeed. Probably made of fine Fayrun oak...And your back hurts. With an indignant grunt, you push yourself off the sodding floor and stand up. You're not too much worse for wear, your leaf-clothing seemingly incredibly durable. Too bad it won't stop a blade...

From your vantage point, you can see about fifty or so patrons, most of them strangely female. Not all are human, you see some elves, dwarves and even a few of those strange animal-people. The bartender is a jolly man, surprisingly thin but with a large grin. He's serving up beers by the dozen, all the while whistling a merry tune. In the back you can see people coming back and forth, generally in pairs...Who knows what they're doing. Nobody seems to take notice of your leafy clothes, so...What should you do?

Spoiler: Urist Mcinternetuser (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tiruin (click to show/hide)

Note: Argh, what strange dice these be. They only want to stick you guys in safe situations! Grumble, grumble...No worries, I can dance on your corpses in due-time.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2011, 12:39:28 pm »

Lets try the inn.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8