Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Roll to Dodge a Trap  (Read 6802 times)

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dodge a Trap
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2011, 05:26:46 pm »

I'll look around the room once more, if I see nothing, I'll make a run for the door.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2011, 09:14:17 pm »

>I...ponder how I got through a door and got right next to a tavern. This is one magical dungeon. Talk to bartender for information.

I wonder...if you are saving the worst for last?  :P

Edit: No minor damage for being stepped on? Wohoo! These leaves are good!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 09:16:13 pm by Tiruin »

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2011, 05:31:58 pm »

Guys, I had an idea. Rather than having all combat completely automated, how about combat will last for 5 turns, and then continue on the player's next turn? This means that they'll have a chance to do something like activate a skill, run away or drink a potion. Just an idea.

Name: Derm: To the booze-parlor! Feeling disgusted at this strange, useless house, you head to what you believed was the local inn. It's in rough shape, but there could be people in it, Inns generally have a strong basement for sheltering the precious alcohols that they so readily serve. The door is slightly ajar, but for the most part it's shut. A few well-placed...[4] kicks brings it down, but you along with it. The second the door falls down, you're hit with a waft of nauseating odor. There's a quiet sobbing coming from the back, but you can't tell where exactly it's coming from. Your gut feels upset, but that's most likely due to the putrid smell of the place.
You shake off the feeling and continue on your onwards.

It's too dark to make out much, but you can see that the stools and tables were used to form a make-shift barricade, even though it seems pointless against a dragon. Even stranger, some of the corpses strewn around the room seem to have died from weapons, mainly blunt ones. There's a large number of cracked chests and smashed skulls, which must be the source of the odor. The crying seems to have stopped, so you can't pinpoint it's location...You begin to head towards the back, when a strange voice enters your mind...

"Derm", it says. You shake it off and start to walk again...

"Derm!", the voice cries out. A feeling of untold dread is creeping up your spine, fear mixing with revulsion.

"Come to me." A simple command, one that...[3] you can barely ignore. The lure of the voice is intense, a tantalizing mix of dread and pleasure. You feel the need to walk to where it's coming from, even though you don't know the precise location...The sobbing quietly resumes in the back...What should you do?

Name: Nassir: Quick Search! You decide that one last sweep of the room would be beneficial...[1] There's absolutely nothing left. The room was small to begin with, and all you can see are the doors, walls, statue and the stoppered hole. Deciding to head on your way, you exit the room without a backwards glance...

*THWACK!* Instinctively ducking, you narrowly avoid an arrow hitting your head. Your fast reactions won't keep you alive for long, so you...[6] immediately dodge out of the way. A good thing too, because another arrow sinks into the door, right where your chest was. You rush to what seems to be a nearby tree, and shelter behind it. You hear hushed voices whispering a short ways away, and the sound of...Hooves? Before you can piece the puzzle together, a voice calls out -

"You, there! Human. Are you alright?", a deep male voice asks. You make no reply, not knowing what to do just yet. "Hush, Kil'yaan! You probably traumatized him. Just stay here, I'll be right back." This time it's a female voice, loud and resonating. The sound of hooves clopping gets closer and closer, and you have to do something...But what?

Name: Arc: Ponder, then talk You put on your invisible thinking cap, and begin to ponder...[3] You can't seem to be able to ponder very hard, but you decide that you managed to get through the door by opening it...It's too dangerous to ponder any farther, you may never return if you sink to deep...

After standing there like a fool, you head towards the barkeep. Grabbing yourself a stool, you decide to have a nice chat...

"Ey, barkeep! Why don't you pass me one of those fancy ales?"
"You're going to have to be more specific than that, lad! Tell me, do you want the Rotgut or the Beluvian Whiskey?"
"Eh..Whichever is cheapest. And tastiest. Wait, no, just the cheapest of the two, thanks."
"Right, one rotgut coming up. Say, I've never seen you around these parts before. You a traveler or something?"
"Eh...You could say that, I guess. Do you mind if I ask you some questions?"
"Sure, it's only natural...Unless you're asking about my daughter, then no. But everything else is fair game.

You take a small sip of your Rotgut. It's potent stuff, and just that little bit was enough to set your stomach aflame.

"Right. I was wondering, er...Where in the nine hells am I?"
"What? Wait, you really don't know? You're in the Avalskan Highlands, boy! You must have ran into a wizard or something, eh?"
"Er, something like that...Do you know what's behind that door?", you ask, pointing at the one you entered from."

"Are you sure you're alright? That's the one you just came in from...It leads to the magical place known as...outside. Mystical, eh?"
"Right. Uh...Do you know of any dungeons around here? Preferably ones with crazy magical enchantments on them."
"So you are an adventurer! You're in pretty rough shape to go dungeon-crawling...And no, there aren't any around these parts. I could sell you some supplies though...But you don't look like you have much coin."

You pull out the six coins you had stashed away, and set them on the counter.

"What could I get with these?"
"Ah...Fine silver there. Stay here, I'll be right back."

The bartender walks off, returning a few moments later with a scroll. He rolls it out in-front of you.

"This is all we have in stock. There's no stores around here, so people buy their supplies in this inn."

You look at the list...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Urist Mcinternetuser (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tiruin (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 05:36:37 pm by Dave1004 »

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2011, 09:58:11 pm »

Wind up mouse, head toward the sobbing.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2011, 02:20:22 am »

Go out and speak to them.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2011, 03:15:14 am »

Hmm, these are some goodies in a tavern. I don't think I'm a magic user and maybe I'll end up blowing up myself with the offensive magics so:

Archerin decides to buy from the barkeep! But ask for the price of the healer first.
> Two Torches - 8 copper
> One rope - 6 copper
> One bundle of Med. Herbs - 6 copper
> One knife - 6 copper
So from here, about 2 silver and 6 copper. Leaving me with 3 silver and 4 copper
> One leather vest and boots - 1 silver
> One flask of the strange liquid! - 1 silver
Leaving 1 silver and 4 copper coins. Maybe bargain for the price of the healer?

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2011, 05:24:13 pm »

My writing skills seem off today, I don't know why...Sorry if it's not up to my norm...Strange.

Name: Derm: Windin' Lootin' Scrabblin' Fleein' You look around on the ground for your toy mouse, and see it sitting on your foot. You gently pick it up, and then flip it over. Grabbing the screw, you wind it as far as it can go, an then let it go...

It's not exactly instantaneous, but the mouse grows in size, until it's about a foot tall. You can see it in much clearer detail now, all of the mechanisms and gears constantly spinning. The mouse looks at you, awaiting orders, it seems. You decide that it's time to start investigating that sobbing, so you head to where it's coming from...

Behind a few casks of ale, there seems to be a small opening in the wall. It's large enough for you to fit in, but dark...On impulse, you decide to...[5] Send the mouse in first. Before you can state your orders, your pet scurries into the hole. A few quiet moments pass, and then you hear a small, metallic chirp. It's probably from your mouse, and since you don't hear the sounds of something nomming on metal, you enter the hole...It takes about thirty seconds to reach the end of the tunnel. The sobbing is loud now, but so is the chirping...You exit the hole.

A small girl is cowering in the corner of the dusty, yet surprisingly clean, room. She seems to be about ten or eleven, wearing the normal leathers of a thief-in-training. She doesn't pay attention to you or your mouse, who's happily scurrying around your feet. Your gut tells you...To be cautious, because who knows what this girl may be. Demons and some undead can change their shape, and lure victims in with their haunting calls...Or tears. What should you do?

Name: Nassir: Go, my son! To the light People! Throwing caution to the wind, you quickly step out from behind the tree. Your audible gasp most likely reveals your shock, which is understandable considering what's infront of you. A large centaur, presumably female due to the, er, human chest is standing just a few paces from you. She has a large bow strung on her back, as well as a quiver full of nasty looking arrows. Another centaur is standing behind her, this one most definitely male. His bow is pulled back tight, and arrow nocked and ready. Before you can speak up, the woman talks first...

"Ah-ha! I knew there was a human here. What did I tell you, Kil'yaan?", she asks while turning her head to look at the male Centaur.

"Yes. My...Apologies for the rude greeting, human." The last word is spat out with obvious hatred, but the man un-nocks his bow and puts it away. The woman looks to you again.

"So...Now that the unpleasantries are out of the way, mind if I ask you what you're doing here?"

Slightly uncomfortable with the whole situation, you reply...[3].

"Er...I, well...You see, this, uh, dungeon and...A wizard had trapped me here, but when I opened the door, there were arrows flying at me..." You say with a slight stutter.

"I knew it! Malayn, this man is daft, and a fool. Wizards? Dungeons? Pah! Don't give me that. And what door?"

Getting angry, you look to where you entered from, and...See a door. Ha! Is this fool blind?

"Kil, just...Hold on. You, there, human. What's your name, and how'd you appear like that? Are you a wizard?"

You don't understand. You didn't just appear - Wait...Maybe they can't see the door? This should prove interesting. You decide to...[2] tell the truth. You're not good at lying.

"I'm...Sorry. I was teleported here by...Er, I don't really know. One moment I was in a dark room, and the next...I had arrows shooting at me. I came out a door, but it seems that you people can't see it, which is...Strange, to say the least. Say, do you know where I am?"

"You're in the western plains of the Jaager fields, just south of the mighty city Fan'thum..." replies the female centaur hesitantly.

It seems that they have no clue about what is going on...And why you're here. What should you do...?

(Sorry, Urist! I'm getting some crazy writer's block here, so the conversation probably sounds pretty sketchy. I pulled it out of...Well, god knows where.)

(Tiruin: One thing. The boots cost 2 silver, not 1. Otherwise, great work!)
Name: Arc: Capitalism, Ho! You decide that getting some good supplies is in order, so you purchase: Two torches, a length of rope, a bundle of herbs, a skinning knife, and one of those strange, murky potions. The leather vest and boots catch your eye, but you don't exactly have that much money...You try and bargain for a better deal. ..[5]. With a charming combination of wit and guile, you manage to grab the boots and vest for a mere silver coin!

The boots are obviously magical, due to the slight warmth they have on touch. You put on the vest, and are delighted to find that it fits perfectly! You dispose of the old pant-wrap that you were wearing. Next, you put on the boots...[1]. A horrible, horrible feeling washes over you. A mixture of utter disgust and revulsion, followed by a deathly chill. Somewhere in your mind, you know that you just put on a pair of...Cursed leather boots. (Cursed items don't have any negative effects, but they cannot be removed by normal means...Only by magical.) The good news is, the boots are...[6] Extremely magical. They grant the wearer an incredible dexterity, allowing them to escape from any dangerous situation with ease. They also muffle the wearer's footsteps, and protects him from any liquids, - From water to magma.

You also inquire about this so-called Healer. The bartender tells you that you'd have to visit him to find out what the price is, due to the...Unusual requests that she may ask for her services. What should you do?

Spoiler: Urist Mcinternetuser (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tiruin (click to show/hide)

Ugh. This turn was really weak, but I hope that it's better than nothing...

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2011, 05:28:33 pm »

Have the mouse go closer while I call out to her.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2011, 05:45:27 pm »

Something's been bothering me lately, so I figured that I might as well ask you guys.

About this RTD, does it have too much "Flavor"? Should I focus more on game-play, and less on story elements? It should make turns come a bit faster, since I'm not exactly the best writer, and it takes me a while to type something up that sounds decent. Just a thought...

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2011, 06:09:25 pm »

Needs more story. The more involved I am with the world, the better. Just not too much story, mind you.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2011, 06:11:01 pm »

Needs more story. The more involved I am with the world, the better. Just not too much story, mind you.

Alright, I'll try and create some more background :P. IF you want, you can ask me some questions, and I can pull something out of...somewhere. Whether it's about the world, or the people who live in it, or whatever...

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2011, 06:26:50 pm »

Add me to the waiting list please.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2011, 08:22:54 pm »

If you do focus on story, then many will be able to envision the place or world you create, who the characters are and why everything is.

You just made a totally random dungeon there.

The plot is great! You managed to add humor and entropy in a careful bundle of Fun. That, and all our characters are really expecting random things, so their fates are expected.  :D

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2011, 05:49:37 pm »

Go to town. Look for interesting things.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2011, 06:10:23 pm »

Tiruin, did you post a turn? I can't find it anywhere if you did...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8