Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 89

Author Topic: HOTRS II: Dead Roots Stirring Toxic Season 104AE  (Read 61026 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: House of the Rising Suns 2: The Light in the Darkness
« Reply #585 on: June 27, 2012, 09:57:19 am »

Trent leaned against the wall as Roim yelled at Azthor within, Trent had been looking forward to a peaceful chat between him and Azthor, but now it looked like he had to defuse the situation. He spoke up with a bit of reluctance, "Calm yourself fool King, your overreacting here, the problem is easy enough to fix what you should be worried about is finding a way to make this benefit the House rather then directly starting a confrontation with the man who holds the respect of many men within your armed forces. From what I know Azthor has no plans to overthrow you, which I'd agree with I mean why overthrow a King that lets his rage think for him instead of his mind, all the better to let you dig a hole you can't escape with the Church in then take your place claiming it to be the usurping of a heretic. Now both of you calm yourselves and think, now is not the time to start a feud that may well lead to a civil war splitting our House, if we do that we play right into the Inquisitions hands and any chance of getting Aeverys back is gone. Now why don't we sit and have a nice civil chat rather then cut each others throats? I'm sure Azthor has good reasons for his actions." As Trent finished he smiles at the two, and pulls two seats up to Azthor's desk for himself and Roim.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 27, 2012, 10:12:36 am »

((Hey, I didn't say anything about plans to overthrow me! :p))

Roim turned around. Here was a grain of sand in his well-oiled plan. He couldn't let pass that occasion to stop Azthor.

Kid, I like you. A lot. But one thing you have not yet learned is that one does not simply walk into a meeting between the leaders of one's side. I'm not mad at you, because we all did mistake, but don't do it again.

Now, except if Azthor as anything else to say, I'll get some rest. I'm waiting for both of you tomorrow at dawn for a strategy meeting.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 27, 2012, 10:25:24 am »

Trent starts laughing as Roim spoke, after a bit he finally settles down and replies "Leaders of one's side? All I see here is the head of the military, and the Fool King, Roim your power is temporary and miniscule at that for the Matriarch is the one leader of the House. There is no second leading position in House Nova, do not forget your power exists only so long as Aeverys is not here, and then you only have what power she gives you. As a person I wish you dead, as a king I despise you the Fool King, keep in mind Fool King the path you tread with me is a thin one and you will only remain so long as you are useful in getting Aeverys back to her throne. Sometimes acting mighty makes an enemy where you least need one Fool King, or have you forgot I came from a Noble House as well, I know the rules better then you who has brought war simply because he loves the thrill of battle. People like you are killed in the world of noble politics Roim so watch your step." With that Trent turns and leaves the room his guards breaking their column to form up around him.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 27, 2012, 10:30:25 am »

((Sorry, but I wasn't going to act all reasonable and pass that chance to curb Azthor's power :p ))

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 27, 2012, 10:36:59 am »

((No worries, thats literally my plan for you though :3))

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: June 27, 2012, 10:43:45 am »

((Also, not sure it's actually smart to be so callous. You have no influence outside of the science team, no military power except for your guard (which is weak enough that it doesn't even show on the turn). You're really playing way above your own league here.))

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 27, 2012, 10:46:33 am »

((Folks, before I read any further; is it likely to affect my answer to Luthias? If yes; I will write his reply first))

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 27, 2012, 10:47:48 am »

((You know, you should definitely write your turn instead of bumping if you still have things to do. :p))

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: June 27, 2012, 10:49:21 am »

((You know, you should definitely write your turn instead of bumping if you still have things to do. :p))

((I saw Ghazkull online, so I couldn't resist it :P... I will take that as a "yes" though, so my reply to Luthias' proposal comes first))

((@Ardas: I am forfeiting the roll I had planned; my answer will be edited in the post I used to bump the thread))

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: June 27, 2012, 10:50:14 am »

((Although I think the meeting with Luthias is over, since Ardas posted a training sequence))

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: June 27, 2012, 11:20:27 am »

((Although I think the meeting with Luthias is over, since Ardas posted a training sequence))

((Sort of; he was waiting for me, but wanted to get something done, so that was a timeskip with happened independently of the meeting's result. I stand by the following: if Luthias accept's the current proposal, it is over. If he doesn't, it is over too. He has to compromise at least a small bit, or it will feel as though Azthor is talking to an automated response machine))
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:22:35 am by Azthor »

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: June 27, 2012, 01:26:14 pm »

In Archon's office, before the training...

Luthias carefully looked at the man, then moved to pick up a pen and add Azthor's clause about nobles to his draft. A servant interruped Luthias as he was about to write, bearing a letter.

After few quick glances at the letter and rather long, silent stare at Azthor, Luthias reorganised his thoughts. His chancery

"A reasonable and measured proposal you offer me, Azthor. But how easy, he he, how easy to make such promises when one does not intend to keep them...."

He then proceeded to slam the letter on  the desk in front of Azthor. With rather cold stare he silently encouraged the man to look at it.

"I will not be double-crossed and lied to. Either we deal fairly, or Averys will have a rather hard time returning home, especially when her relatives throw lies in my face. I seek no enemies, but how am I to respond to bad intentions? Even Roim has the decency to be open with his demands and moves, Pancreator bless him for his honesty."

Luhias sat down.

"As a man of Church I am inclined to forgive though, but I need  an assurance that my trust is not misplaced. We keep the details of the deal on as discussed, but you shall refrain from harming nobility in your lands, be it in body or in property. You may deal with them in a lawful way, but I shall expect no repression of their families or torture or seizure of property. They are of noble blood too, and forgiveness and equal treatment of your fellows are humane virtues.  Prove to me that you are honest and civilized and refrain from butchering your fellow humans. I will cooperate with you and turn them over to you, but only if I know that I'm not condemning them to death."

He took a small breath and awaited a reply.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: June 27, 2012, 02:00:16 pm »

Azthor opens the letter and quickly skims through its contents. After a brief pause, he chuckles.

"Your Eminence, you will have to pardon me the breach of etiquette, but that was most uncouth of you. You claim to forgive me, when I've commited no offense; pray tell, do you think all these schools could have been built in but the few weeks since you've issued that edict? Much as Lord Roim may like to omit it, these orders were issued several months ago and, barring sabotage, Nova's administration is sure to have supporting evidence. I now try to grant your edict temporal recognition, yet you insult my honor basing your opinion solely on an obviously biased letter?

Now, how am I to trust you when you are so quick to disregard that which I hold dearest, my own integrity? It is simple, truly, I can trust you no more than you trust me. Many of the rebels are self-fashioned nobles, imposters, those who cannot trace their lineage to any imperial dynasty will be deprieved of their lands and, should they submit, pardoned. However, those who can, indeed, claim legitimate nobility, will be allowed to keep their lands, assuming they do not resist; should they prove persistent in their misguided ways, the individual can no longer be trusted, but that doesn't null the family's rights: their land will be turned over to a more loyal family member of theirs.

I promise you this much, Lord Archon, no noble or commoner will be tortured, no noble will be executed once defenseless and no noble family will be deprieved of its propriety; however, those rebels who prove specially treacherous, Lord Raventreee, who is suspected to have murdered a Nova retainer, included, will stand trial before our courts and, if found guilt, relieved in disgrace of their position within their family"

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: June 27, 2012, 02:09:39 pm »

Luthias listened and looked at the man carefully again.

"Its not my place to tell you how you should conduct your internal administration, but this is most perplexing. But I have to put my faith in the Pancreator and trust that your honesty is open and clear as you claim it to be.

I believe we have the matter settled then. We stick to previously established points and I will support your quashing of rebels as long as you carry that out humanely as you promise. Once I establish contact with your science team, I will send you information on my plan to rescue Averys. Don't worry, I will rely that information to you only, but its up to you to make sure that your scientists don't spill that to Roim. If you wish to keep in in dark that is."

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 27, 2012, 02:14:41 pm »

Azthor reads the contract, then, assuming all is in order, signs and stamps it with his seal.

"By the way, may I have a copy of the letter? It seems Lord Roim has a few  lies to account for"
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:51:31 pm by Azthor »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 89