Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 89

Author Topic: HOTRS II: Dead Roots Stirring Toxic Season 104AE  (Read 61023 times)

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
Re: House of the Rising Suns 2: The Light in the Darkness
« Reply #570 on: June 16, 2012, 12:04:10 pm »

((Azthor, still waiting for your reply, otherwise we can't seal any deals and I will have to do things the hard way. Half of my work on Si'kar so far is being done through strength contest with Nova and that does not bode well for anyone.

E: Also Ghaz, I don't want ot be pushy or anything, just curious about my turn.))
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 12:13:32 pm by Ardas »

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 16, 2012, 12:11:32 pm »

((I am waiting for a certain something I dare not divulge about right now))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 16, 2012, 12:11:49 pm »

Avery's took a seat, cradling her stomach protectively.

She cast away the mourning mother and became the Warrior General in a brief moment. She had merely used her weapons-pity for her state, certainly. Few men could stomach bringing harm to her. Had Averys not played them all well enough?

Yes, my Archon, I am doomed. Do not go to any lengths to save me. Though, I know you will. Since you are weak.

Darling husband, don't come after me. Hold that throne for me while I'm gone, my dear.

Even Jurislav, who looked upon her a revered daughter. Yes, don't let me fall. I am yours to protect.

Had she finally even touched Malcador's heart, her enemy? What irony...she would be sure to reward him appropriately when she got back. Maybe with a bullet.

There was no honor here, no good or bad-if she could have killed them all to save her and her childs life, she would have. As it was, deception was good enough for all of them...

Her voice took a hard edge.

"What can we offer, indeed. Resources enough for whatever you like-land, estates, titles if you wish them...men and arms, certainly. Vast worlds await my House's control...assuming it isn't destroyed by the time I get back.

We could break the deadlock on this world, finally. You've done well with what you've had, but I'm quite aware of your manpower shortages. Some would prefer this shithole of a planet never be tamed, for their own reasons...I will pay back my time spent here ravaging it's inhabitants. A suitable sacrifice for my child to be.

And, what comes after, hmm? What do you when you're free of this world, Archon? Retire to a quaint home on the river, maybe?"

She leaned forward, smiling sweetly.

"I can arrange that, if you wish. But, if you're like me....then you'll be looking for another battle. It never really ends, does it? The drums and trumpets...they always call you back.

I can promise you, battle will not be lacking.

...And, I don't expect you to believe me-no one does-but I actually didn't order the death of that agent...it was truly beyond my control.

Not to say, I didn't enjoy the trash removal. Would you say you might have felt the same way, Archon?"
She inquired innocently.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 16, 2012, 01:51:03 pm »

Meanwhile Tavius was just leaning on the wall, bored. It had been a while since he had been first here, taken from the Demon's eye system. Oh how quickly he slipped from the church's grasp.

But last time? Last time, there was doubt over which side he should choose. Now, there was no uncertainty about the enemy. The atrocious amount casualties over so little of importance had been an eye opener about the church's true two-faced menace. It's ability to send large amounts of men who's only crime was not being vocal or acknowledging in their support for the church or its ideals (Sure, there was also a fair few people sent here that one could say that it's too good for them to die for any benefit to anyone.).

Right now though, was a minor fact that needed to be corrected. "Averys ordered no such thing. Said inquisitorial agent was killed by my hand, and my own initiative. Averys may've been informed on my attempt to infiltrate the church's ranks but that's the limit to her involvement in that."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 17, 2012, 04:57:43 am »

((Well, my mistake then. Must have misread the turn. I apologize.

Now, if they are good in-game reasons, the system may not need fixing then. May I know what they are? Don't tell me they're secret, if 20% of our population know them, I should know them as well. (Except if you had secrets mind-control rays installed, but if you did stuff like put your face on all things economical, and launch rumors stating that everything good happen because of you and everything bad because of me, they're is no way it's secret.

Anyway, I really like my system of administrative fiefs. If Ghazkull don't use it, I'll probably use it in a game of my own later this summer. :) ))
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 05:16:17 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: June 17, 2012, 10:07:16 am »

((Well, my mistake then. Must have misread the turn. I apologize.

Now, if they are good in-game reasons, the system may not need fixing then. May I know what they are? Don't tell me they're secret, if 20% of our population know them, I should know them as well. (Except if you had secrets mind-control rays installed, but if you did stuff like put your face on all things economical, and launch rumors stating that everything good happen because of you and everything bad because of me, they're is no way it's secret.

Anyway, I really like my system of administrative fiefs. If Ghazkull don't use it, I'll probably use it in a game of my own later this summer. :) ))

((You do deserve to know what was apparent to the population. Town criers across the realm announced me to be the benefactor behind the recent economic and infrastructural changes; likewise, you too were announced to have a role in the campaign on banditry, which is why you got 10% support out of it. Simply put, it was propaganda, although no blame was placed on Roim, nor credit stolen))
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:09:36 am by Azthor »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: June 17, 2012, 11:12:20 am »

((Well, expect some flak for it once you're back to Delta-17. Claiming yourself to be the origin of stuff done with House Nova money? Still a bad thing by Roim's book. :p

BTW, no answer for my proposals to lessen Ghazkull's burden. Should I start making that spreadsheet or not?))

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 17, 2012, 11:18:48 am »

((@Sheb. Go ahead. I would be interested in giving you a hand, it would help me keep track of church stuff. and believe me, updates for Archon are as big as for you, excpet that I get them via PM.  Maybe we could chat on IRC about it?))

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: June 17, 2012, 11:22:10 am »

((Yeah, I just can't study for my botany exams anymore. Server? Room?))

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 17, 2012, 12:36:50 pm »

((Well, expect some flak for it once you're back to Delta-17. Claiming yourself to be the origin of stuff done with House Nova money? Still a bad thing by Roim's book. :p

BTW, no answer for my proposals to lessen Ghazkull's burden. Should I start making that spreadsheet or not?))

((I merely took credit as the reformer behind said innovations; however, while there are no real ethical complications there, it may well be in character for Roim to feel threatened))

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: June 17, 2012, 12:54:45 pm »

((Well, while not immoral, it's a lack of manner. :p Anyway, if you want to join us in IRC, we're on freenode, #Bay12))

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 17, 2012, 09:36:42 pm »

((Jeez. Sorry for not posting for a long time. I've been in a position where posting regularly has proven rather difficult. Lemme try to catch up.)
Raggle Fraggle

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: June 18, 2012, 07:19:02 am »

After talks with Azthor...

Luthias was tired. Tired and aching in every joint and muscle, as his strength was drained from him under merciless hits of his bodyguards. The training was harsh and demanding on him, but he had little time to prepare for the crusade. With not-so-subtle hints about his participation with boots on the ground, Luthias already ordered a suit of armor supported with powerful servomechanisms and electronic combat systems. It costed a small fortune, but archon was not leaving his security up to chance.

He was currently brandishing a piece of wood, long and heavy, and trying to protect himself from the blows of his guard captain, whom he taken up as his trainer and sparring partner. Luthias was a long way off from using a proper sword, but a power blade, specially crafted for this crusade, was already on its way here to be used by the Archon.

"Enough.. for today..."

The captain ceased attacking and dropped his stance. Luthias sat down oon a bench in the courtyard and breathed in deeply, allowing the cold air to enter his lungs.
Apart from crusade, he had bigger worries, namely house Nova. they were as stubborn as the barbarian whom they adopted ino their ranks. No wonder they worked together so well, and even their fall in standing with the church did not temper their arrogance. Maybe Luthias did not try hard enough. But if he made any allowances or tried to appease them, would it be a sign of weakness and inferiority or sign of equality and willingness to cooperate?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 04:03:39 am by Ardas »

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: June 27, 2012, 08:15:01 am »

"You do not seem to be much keen on compromising either, Your Eminence, however, even if our opinions may diverge, we are both men of the faith, men who have more pressing concerns on their hands. You shall have your crusade, the temples and the schools, as well as the researchers, if only you will swear before me, in the Pancreator's name, that you will provide for their every need of the faith. I assume that to be no different from an Archon's standard duties, so I don't believe we have a problem there.

Still, as you deal with the enemies of the faith, we too must deal with the enemies of the State; rebel nobles have arisen within our lands, an intolerable offense. I ask that, in return for Nova's collaboration, you do not intercede in their favor, for the heathens are no more yours to contend with, than those who'd oppose Nova's legitimatemost rule are ours to pass temporal judgement upon. Likewise, should heretics be found among the rebels, they will be yours to judge"
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:13:46 am by Azthor »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 27, 2012, 09:24:58 am »

((Bumped That For You))

Roim was surprised by the letters from the Diocese. Long, angry rolls of parchment threatening to excommunicate House Nova for seizing Church property. It took him a few pages to understand the properties the letters spoke of were the schools. That he didn't understand. He had compiled the House's orders himself, and made sure to leave the schools out of them. Roim was no friend of the Diocese, but he wasn't stupid enough to directly disobey the Archon's edicts.

So he went to the Education ministry. What he discovered there stunned him. Apparently Azthor had bypassed him, compiling another set of -secret- orders he dispatched to all the ministry, somehow superseding his own, official compilation. That was bad. Azthor was obviously trying to seize power by making Roim irrelevant. Apparently the traitorous bastard had given orders for all the town criers across the land to sing his praise and picture him as the source of every benefit. The takeover of schools was probably intended to get Aeverys out of the way by angering the Church.

He had to act quickly.

-----
Half an hour later, Roim was in front of Azthor's office. He had brought a couple House Body Guard, just to be on the safe side. Kicking the door, Roim stormed into the office. Before Azthor could say a word, he slapped a bundle of papers on the office. Those were a copy of Azthor's orders he found in the Economic Development Ministry. On top of the bundle was the orders to take over the schools, bearing Azthor's seal.

"What is this?! How could you do something as reckless as directly disrespecting a Church edict? Don't you know what excommunication could mean for the House? Do you really want to see us all "purified" by the inquisition?

It was a mistake to let you have any leeway Azthor. I'll have an hard time fixing your mess, and even then I might not succeed. May the Pancreator have mercy. In the meantime, all your orders and communications will go through my office. I just can't afford to trust you anymore.

----

While the two men were arguing, a courier in a fast vehicle was rushing toward Castellis Fidellum, bearing a letter for the Archon.

Spoiler: Letter (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:27:11 am by Sheb »

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 89