Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: More Ghost Science!  (Read 31862 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: More Ghost Science!
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2011, 05:17:02 pm »

19 Moonstone 6

Events have transpired quickly. In an effort to push subject 3 over the edge we activated the mechanism while he was not directly underneath it. It succeeded in making him miserable but also had blowback strong enough to  knock the expedition leader into chamber three and a pile of burning coal. The expedition leader was ecstatic at the time so instead of considering this a laboratory accident we now have Subject 4. Subject three's capacity has been reduced, he will now serve solely as an example of an insane dwarf as his only close contact has been killed. We've yet to see his reaction but it seems very unlikely he'll hang on much longer.

I am super good at killing people.

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2011, 05:30:07 pm »

I think it's more of you killing people for reasons you didn't intend to.
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

My X-COM UFO Defense LP. Finals Week Hiatus.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2011, 06:18:22 pm »

25 Opal 6

Our efforts bore fruit today. Subject 3 became Stark Raving Mad and stripped off all of his clothes before the mechanism could be reset and dropped on him.The emotional tole of losing Subject 4 is making the citizenry unhappy, some of whom happen to be very skilled swordsmen with very short tempers. For the sake of sustainability testing will cease until either a ghost rises or taking more subjects becomes viable.

Subject 1 Rigothrobek: Blank Slate, No contacts Average Mood
Subject 2 Portalgrasp: Miserable, Sane No Contacts
Subject 3 Fokerfikod: Stark Raving Mad No (surviving) Contacts
Subject 4 Idtat: Ecstatic, No (surviving) Contacts

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2011, 07:26:33 pm »

Will you be testing ghost generation when death occurs at another's hands? It can make for some interesting 2 subjects/1 room tests.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2011, 07:46:34 pm »

That's actually one of the big points, when the Mad Clothier rose he seemed to be attacking people who killed him. I'm going to test it as soon as I get a berserk dwarf.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2011, 08:00:38 pm »

That's actually one of the big points, when the Mad Clothier rose he seemed to be attacking people who killed him. I'm going to test it as soon as I get a berserk dwarf.

It might've been stumbling upon them by chance, or perhaps because your military dwarves would naturally be the ones to experience the most death.
(That's my theory anyways, I've not noticed a pattern in ghost murder)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2011, 09:10:18 pm »

Suggestion for a future test subject: When you are ready for more testing, and get a moody dwarf, let him claim his workshop but lock the door behind him before he can go to claim any materials.  Leave him in the workshop chamber until such time as he goes mad.  With luck he will go berserk (works best if he is short tempered, I believe) then, before he dies, release him into a room full of armored guardsdwarves equipped with wooden training weapons.  After a long period of beating the Subject will eventually succumb to his injuries (or madness) and then you will have the ghost of a berserk dwarf that has a reason to go after a number of soldiers -- they killed him, after all. :D

The only issue with this is managing to have the moody dwarf go berserk.

Alternately, manage to have a militia squad appropriately armed ready in case another dwarf goes berserk for some other reason.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2011, 10:31:39 pm »

At some point, you should test the effects of goblins performing the killing. It is plausible that he will then try to kill goblins, yes? (Unless I'm missing something, but if the mad clothier had a grudge against the military, a grudge against an entity or species might be possible, and would certainly be easily weaponized.) (That is, if the experiments are still taking place.)

Wouldn't it be annoying though, if each of the methods of death, moods before death, etc. only adjusted the probability of each form of ghost behavior, instead of guaranteeing it? It would make science difficult, as it would require prohibitively large sample sizes to get useful data...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2011, 09:56:03 am »

At some point, you should test the effects of goblins performing the killing. It is plausible that he will then try to kill goblins, yes? (Unless I'm missing something, but if the mad clothier had a grudge against the military, a grudge against an entity or species might be possible, and would certainly be easily weaponized.) (That is, if the experiments are still taking place.)

Wouldn't it be annoying though, if each of the methods of death, moods before death, etc. only adjusted the probability of each form of ghost behavior, instead of guaranteeing it? It would make science difficult, as it would require prohibitively large sample sizes to get useful data...

A dwarf ghost will never honour a goblin with killing it. That is solely reserved for Dwarf-kind.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2011, 03:12:00 pm »

Shit man, !!SCIENCE!! is brutal.

Now you know why "For ‼SCIENCE‼" is such a terrifying rallying cry. 
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2011, 09:41:36 pm »

A dwarf ghost will never honour a goblin with killing it. That is solely reserved for Dwarf-kind.
Wait, really? I definitely remember hearing about some militia commander or somesuch who killed more invaders in undeath than in life...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2011, 09:51:54 pm »

Wait, really? I definitely remember hearing about some militia commander or somesuch who killed more invaders in undeath than in life...

Not possible. Yet.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2011, 09:35:11 am »

I didn't forget about this it's just taking a hella long time for a ghost to rise.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2011, 04:58:12 pm »

10 Slate 7 Chirpacted II

Ollin Containedtours, recent migrant, has entered a mood shortly after arriving at our fortress. He's a decent gem cutter and setter but he will serve far better in unlife. We've prepared to seal him inside the jewler's workshop and he will serve as subject five and an example of a ghost of a dwarf driven mad by the strange moods unique to our kind.

11 Slate 7

Subject 1 Rigothrobek has risen after roughly three months after his death and immediately several things are apparent. He wears the garb of a soldier, he was placed in the chamber by being granted the title of captain and being stationed directly beneath the crushing platform does he remember this position? Second he's risen as a restless haunt but has no friends or relations, these circumstances were observed in the first Chirpacted- a wood burner stood directly over his place of death and because he would not deign to haunt a stranger he remained there very placidly. Subject 1 Rigothrobek stands in the center of the constructed floor of the crushing mechanism of chamber 1 his intentions are unclear but if his behavior is the same as the forlorn wood burner this may be sufficient  data for the hypothesized "Ghost Museum". More as it transpires.

It was slow for a while but when it rains it pours

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 05:55:22 pm by Broseph Stalin »

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2011, 05:02:28 pm »

Best !!SCIENCE!! ever, keep it up.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9