Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: More Ghost Science!  (Read 31852 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: More Ghost Science!
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2011, 04:32:57 pm »

when there's something strange...in the neighborhood, who you gonna call? DWARFBUSTERSS...
*music playing*
in to watch this epicness of wins.

WE CAME WE SAW WE KICKED ITS ASS!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2011, 09:35:57 pm »

when there's something strange...in the neighborhood, who you gonna call? DWARFBUSTERSS...
*music playing*

Hey, does anyone know how to stop this odd bleeding from my feet?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2011, 06:08:45 am »

*music playing*

"Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light".

Sounds !!Dwarfy!! to me

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2011, 11:17:52 am »

*music playing*

"Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light".

Sounds !!Dwarfy!! to me
All in favor?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2011, 01:52:24 pm »

*music playing*

Sounds !!Dwarfy!! to me
All in favor?

"Aye. Also you're a wagon driver?"

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2011, 09:33:37 pm »

24 Hematite 7 Chirpacted II

Secondary Test #1 has been selected. Questions have been raised about the exact range of the Wailing Ghosts abilities, the sleeping quarters furthest from the ghost are 3 z levels up and 20 Urists away, the howls have been loud enough to wake him at this distance. A new dwelling is being constructed 95 urists away and 3 z levels up. A dwarf will be assigned to this room and his sleep shall be observed, if he is woken or disturbed in the least a room even further away- possibly above ground- will be constructed and the test will be repeated. If he is not a room will be built closer and the test will be repeated.

I could always use a shot of dorfy inspiration, if you have any ideas for a secondary experiment post them.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2011, 10:04:10 pm »

16 Galena 7 Chirpacted

Subject 1-1 has had no problems sleeping at a distance of 95 urists. Another bed will be constructed at a distance of 40 Urists to determine the minimum distance for a dwarf to sleep soundly in the presence of a howling ghost. This information is however for clarity, the necessary data has been collected. It is entirely possible a howling ghost to be harmlessly kept in a sort of zoo provided it is far enough away from the sleeping quarters.  More as it transpires.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2011, 12:07:31 am »

Secondary !!Scientific!! Objective:  Place a living friend/relative in close proximity (i.e., lock 'em in a cell room together) to a non-violent non-living dwarf to see if he shows any signs of being happy to see his (deceased) friend, or just gets the "has been haunted ..." bit. [edit] wait ... you started with this, didn't you.  /facepalm

Secondary !!Scientific!! Objective:  Place various furniture items in a room with a Poltergeist type non-living resident and see how often they knock stuff over.

Teriary !!Scientific!! Objective:  Assuming I am remembering previous notes correctly, and Poltergeist occasionally throw things at others, see if they throw things at their own (or others) pets, assuming such a situation can be created.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 09:31:29 am by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2011, 12:26:01 am »

See how far poltergeists throw things, perhaps it can be weaponised.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2011, 10:45:27 am »

Try creating an immobile ghost (e.g. a restless haunt with no relations) on the surface at a choke point that invaders must pass through.  Then you can determine if a ghost can reveal ambushes.  You can also observe how the invaders interact with the ghost.
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2011, 10:49:24 am »

Try creating an immobile ghost (e.g. a restless haunt with no relations) on the surface at a choke point that invaders must pass through.  Then you can determine if a ghost can reveal ambushes.  You can also observe how the invaders interact with the ghost.
The difference between spirits and a spirit: One hammers you, the other rips off your limbs and kicks you off a cliff onto a saw.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2011, 07:07:36 pm »

27 Galena  7 Chirpacted II

Subjects 6 and 7 have been selected. Subject 6 became possessed and found himself without wool cloth to begin working. These are the exact circumstances of the Clothiers reign of terror, a happy accident. Subject 7 is married to a presser of little value to the fort, she has no other friends or relations, if her behavior in unlife seems focused on her husband we will have evidence on the behavior of ghosts towards their famillies. Test 1-1 proceeds as planned but as of this writing every single prospective subject has been contaminated, if we begin testing it will be difficult to discern from their reports of past trouble sleeping and incidents that occurred during the test. The current plan is to resume testing when a fresh batch of migrants arrives. Success is a double edged sword, as our experiments become more varied our data becomes more valuable but pure subjects become more difficult to find and tests harder to observe. The decision has yet to be made on how to deal with Subject 7 madness or even unhappiness are not necessary to testing but may provide more information on the relationship between state at time of death and behavior in death. More as it transpires.

It's time for some audience participation! Subject 7's state isn't relevant to testing, what's the verdict from Bay 12? Quick death and straight to the testing or pointless torture? 

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2011, 07:21:13 pm »

Savescum and do both, for completeness.

Vainglorious

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2011, 01:01:02 am »

Seeing as Toady has marked out silver as having special effects on night creatures in the upcoming release is it possible that silver can be used to fight or ward against ghost attacks?  Even partially outfitting the military in silver could help us determine its effectiveness.

If silver does have effects on ghosts then could we make silver cells for them to make a safe ghost museum?

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2011, 01:04:28 am »

Seeing as Toady has marked out silver as having special effects on night creatures in the upcoming release is it possible that silver can be used to fight or ward against ghost attacks?  Even partially outfitting the military in silver could help us determine its effectiveness.

If silver does have effects on ghosts then could we make silver cells for them to make a safe ghost museum?

I doubt this, but if it does work, then check with silver ore as well.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9