Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: More Ghost Science!  (Read 31863 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More Ghost Science!
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 08:49:35 pm »

I did this when ghosts just came out.  My science worked out 6 main varieties.

In order of magnitude:
 Sad ghosts that linger in one spot.

Haunters that chase people they know and bother them. 

Howlers that keep everyone awake with their laments.

Possessing angry dead that cause dwarves to attack each other and spontaneously tantrum despite being in a good mood (usually hitting old friends),

and finally the killing ghosts which sever a limb causing death with no combat report

and the worst: ghost that simply scare to death, killing instantly (but at least generating a report).

Try not burying anyone.  Its good science.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 03:58:30 am by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 08:54:55 pm »

5. Replicate the Mad Clothier in a controlled setting, study who how and why ghosts attack.

I feel ashamed for not knowing the reference. Would someone enlighten me?
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 09:05:00 pm »

The Mad Clothier was the one who started it all. He was the first and most prolific ghost at Chirpacted I and the more I studied him the creepier things got. He was a clothier who went berserk from a failed mood attacked the guard captain and his masterwork steel blade. He was decapitated almost instantly. He became a violent ghost and the more I investigated the more creepy it got, he seemed to be attacking the members of the military that had been dispatched to kill him and even stranger all of his victims had his blood on their shoes. It raised dozens of questions but because he wasn't killed ina controlled setting none of them could be answered.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 09:26:13 pm »

The Mad Clothier was the one who started it all. He was the first and most prolific ghost at Chirpacted I and the more I studied him the creepier things got. He was a clothier who went berserk from a failed mood attacked the guard captain and his masterwork steel blade. He was decapitated almost instantly. He became a violent ghost and the more I investigated the more creepy it got, he seemed to be attacking the members of the military that had been dispatched to kill him and even stranger all of his victims had his blood on their shoes. It raised dozens of questions but because he wasn't killed ina controlled setting none of them could be answered.

Interesting... I love DF.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 09:36:18 pm »

25 Limestone 6 Chirpacted II

Subject 2 Portalgrasp Insane

Subject was selected to be driven to insanity prior to dispatch but he's proven difficult. For months now we've exposed him to miasma, starved him, denied him water , and deprived him of sleep. We've assigned him twelve dogs to love and cherish only to butcher them, his scarce food has been their raw flesh. He has thrown nine tantrums in total and never risen from complete and total miserable despair but he clings to the last threads of sanity. He's been driven to near starvation too often to survive much longer. The decision has been made that if he continues to linger the mechanism will be activated when he is not in the direct path of the collapse and whether he dies miserable or insane shall be left up to armok.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 09:38:41 pm »

25 Limestone 6 Chirpacted II

Subject 2 Portalgrasp Insane

Subject was selected to be driven to insanity prior to dispatch but he's proven difficult. For months now we've exposed him to miasma, starved him, denied him water , and deprived him of sleep. We've assigned him twelve dogs to love and cherish only to butcher them, his scarce food has been their raw flesh. He has thrown nine tantrums in total and never risen from complete and total miserable despair but he clings to the last threads of sanity. He's been driven to near starvation too often to survive much longer. The decision has been made that if he continues to linger the mechanism will be activated when he is not in the direct path of the collapse and whether he dies miserable or insane shall be left up to armok.

NO! Make him die of infection if possible. Even better, save him from the brink of death, rinse repeat.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 10:13:23 pm »

This is exciting!
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 10:45:30 pm »

Ghost science is the best science. Watching.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 06:20:55 pm »

13 Sandstone 6

Subject 2 has proven more resilient than anyone could have possibly imagined. The stories of Portalis from the original experiments while impressive pale in comparison. Initially it was assumed that like Portalis he was able to vent enough stress by throwing his food to remain sane but this was not the case. Where Portalis became miserable then immediately rebounded Mistemgidthur has remained miserable but hung on. We took any potential projectiles to no avail and eventually decided to risk killing him by dropping the ceiling to let him suffer grievous injury. For a moment his body was lifeless and still but just as soon as he'd fallen he stood up dusted himself off and continued to stand as though nothing happened. He threw several more tantrums but again remained quite sane. With no way  to further torture or even execute him we threw logs at him in the pit and ordered him to set himself on fire. He very calmly complied. The fire seared his flesh melting all the fat from his torso and driving him to another tantrum only for him to begin patiently waiting in the black smoke. With each day that passes I grow more and more certain that the being in that pit is no dwarf.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 06:24:03 pm »

13 Sandstone 6

Subject 2 has proven more resilient than anyone could have possibly imagined. The stories of Portalis from the original experiments while impressive pale in comparison. Initially it was assumed that like Portalis he was able to vent enough stress by throwing his food to remain sane but this was not the case. Where Portalis became miserable then immediately rebounded Mistemgidthur has remained miserable but hung on. We took any potential projectiles to no avail and eventually decided to risk killing him by dropping the ceiling to let him suffer grievous injury. For a moment his body was lifeless and still but just as soon as he'd fallen he stood up dusted himself off and continued to stand as though nothing happened. He threw several more tantrums but again remained quite sane. With no way  to further torture or even execute him we threw logs at him in the pit and ordered him to set himself on fire. He very calmly complied. The fire seared his flesh melting all the fat from his torso and driving him to another tantrum only for him to begin patiently waiting in the black smoke. With each day that passes I grow more and more certain that the being in that pit is no dwarf.

Get him a doctor stat! His diagnosis might reveal he's a vampire that snuck into your fortress from the future :O
[Though really, getting him patched up so he can heal, then go through the torture again will really rack up the bad dwarf karma points. Prolly end up with a muderous dwarf.]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2011, 06:24:40 pm »

We've assigned him twelve dogs to love and cherish only to butcher them, his scarce food has been their raw flesh.

How did you manage to butcher a pet?

With no way  to further torture or even execute him we threw logs at him in the pit and ordered him to set himself on fire. He very calmly complied.

Really?  I assume you're using the bonfire mod, there's no way I know of to have a dwarf set a fire otherwise.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2011, 06:27:47 pm »

We've assigned him twelve dogs to love and cherish only to butcher them, his scarce food has been their raw flesh.

How did you manage to butcher a pet?

With no way  to further torture or even execute him we threw logs at him in the pit and ordered him to set himself on fire. He very calmly complied.

Really?  I assume you're using the bonfire mod, there's no way I know of to have a dwarf set a fire otherwise.

You can butcher war animals it's the most reliable way to drive a dwarf crazy.

Genisis comes with bonfires integrated.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 06:35:54 pm »

15 Sandstone 6

Subject 2 has died. While miserable we were unable to drive him insane, he will be an example of a miserable dwarf instead of an insane dwarf. While he survived the fire researchers in a fit of anger at his apparent defiance of their efforts to kill him began throwing coal at him. The ensuing inferno burned him to death and continues to rage. We have no idea how to stop the fire but testing will continue.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 06:43:48 pm »

Have you done any art desecration--train up to mastery, engrave destroy, repeat.  I think it is an huge happiness blow--far bigger than losing a family member.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 06:45:48 pm »

Dwarven ‼SCIENCE‼ at it's best!
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9