Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 60

Author Topic: Bring Your Own Picture Mafia - The only way to win is to not play. [Game over!]  (Read 89010 times)

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bring Your Own Picture Mafia - A Day in the Art Museum [Day 1]
« Reply #285 on: November 29, 2011, 07:11:37 pm »

Long story short I'm not even going to bother anymore, NUKE gets a permavote for the rest of the game. I don't even care anymore.
This is so very, incredibly productive Person. Go cool off and come back when you feel like rescinding this.

Webadict: Why are you trying to make him angrier? That's not going to solve any problems. In fact, that's just going to make him drop more scumtells regardless of what team he's on. So why are you intentionally provoking him?
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 29, 2011, 07:31:57 pm »

So, we shouldn't even try because there's a slightly increased chance we won't hit scum?
You say slightly, I say significantly. But basically, yes. Controversial as that sounds.
I feel compelled to point out, before this is misquoted, that I do not object to the process leading up to someone's lynching, just the part where they die at the end.

You know, that's plain false. A mislynch oon D1 can tell you a lot about the people who did and who did not vote for the victim. You can guess what somebody's true intentions where depending on the reasons and arguments given. With NK's? not so much.
Yes. But votes are just the condescend form of publicly outed heavy suspicion. A FoS can serve (basically) the same purpose in indicating that someone thinks that that person is highly suspicious, and may be worth lynching.

Why?
Because one never knows what's going to happen. Chaos reigns in a BYOR; Lylo breakers are around every corner, unexplained rezzes happen every morning, investigators turn out to be insane, but lucky- unlike in open setups, or even most closed setups, it is very hard to predict what sort of game one is playing before it is too late.
Caution, then, is much more vital in this sort of game.
In summary, I intend to act cautiously.
This is completely and utterly worthless, as you basically say "I will assume everything is and goes wrong and nothing is as it seems and consider all possibilities," which mostly translates to "I will be paranoid and do nothing because of it." How exactly do you intend to be useful while contemplating bizarre theories which assume the inspection results are wrong and scum is unlynchable?
Well, like I said:
Quote from: NUKE9.13, nested quote.
Action will occur on the basis of the the most probable scenario with a generous margin of error. Actions which require everything to go right will be considered invalid.
Obviously I am not out to sit around paralysed by indecision. Probabilities, or estimations of probabilities, can be weighed. Just because one considers a great deal of possibilities, does not prevent one from choosing the most probable.
Level of chaos unknown, yet possibility of strong town power roles is valid enough to base actions off of. Right.
It is a BYOR. Rare is the BYOR mod who hands out 'you are a vanilla townie' to his players.
Everyone is a powerrole of at least minor strength (I assume). That amongst those will be town roles of moderate or higher strength seems highly probable, regardless of what roles those are and whatever else is going on in the game.
Also, this is mafia. Town has to scumhunt, scum has to hide. The notion that town can overwhelm scum using their raw night action strength, even just on N1, is utterly retarded outside of a bastard game (or very specific scenario).
Its more likely than you think. There have been Paranormals where town play was abysmal, but they still won due to overpowered roles.
Which is not to say it will happen here. I certainly hope not- I do enjoy a challenge. But it is a fact that town powerroles exist for a reason, and that reason is to make town's job easier.
in the cold light of dawn (tempers having being tempered by a nights rest)
What massive difference is the night supposed to make? How are obvscum town going to suddenly look townier next day, while obvscum scum won't?
I cut the nested quote in order to answer your question. People tunnel. During a break, and with new information, they may realize that they have been tunnelling, and reconsider their arguments.
Except then they know it's 80/20 and so intentionally make the bubbling glass not poison, unless they know you'd know they'd do that and make the bubbling glass poison, etc.
Being more or less likely than 50/50 doesn't make it not WIFOM.
If someone is setting out to trick their opponent with an endless chain of bluff and double bluff, why bother adding food colouring and baking soda to one of the glasses? If the odds are going to settle down to 50/50 anyway, might as well start with that situation.
Translating this metaphor into practice- whilst it is possible for scum to go to extraordinary lengths, lengths to which there was absolutely no call for them to go to, just for the sake of confusing a towny, it is quite unlikely- especially when there are lesser lengths to which they could go, less risky, easier lengths.
If being more or less than 50/50 at no point prevents it from being WIFOM, then me and webadict not being the same person is WIFOM. Sure, there's a 99.99% chance that it isn't the case- but maybe that's what I want you to think!
My point being, there is a cut-off point. Where you place it is up to you, but it is there.

Native: You are talking (I think) about Cult Mafia. Now, I am a modest man, but that was some excellent play right there, which pretty much single-handedly pulled the cult from certain defeat to flawless victory. I invite people who question my competence to read over D2 there, where people (heavily) underestimated me, to their peril.

Finally, I'm just going to say this: to me, NUKE trying to abandon common game ideas in D1 is a null tell: he does it whether he's town or scum.
Obviously my word on this issue is not to be trusted, but I will confirm that this is the case. I really, really hate the RVS, and the standard operation of D1 in general. This hatred transcends allignment, though I do try to tailor my method of shaking things up to my goals.

Mr.Person.

Took a tad longer than I hoped. I apologize to those who prefer their posts light and fluffy- I'd love to have tiny short posts, but there are so many things to respond to, and I do want to do everyone justice.
In all the excitement I have rather left out my own suspicions, and I grow weary with mafia. Tommorow, suspicions.
I will say that I do not agree with an ECoF lynch. Dude's a shameless lurker, but unfortunately that is what he is- his behaviour does not suggest 'scumlurker' to me.
Long Live United Forenia!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 29, 2011, 08:08:52 pm »

Wait, what? I never said that or is it a response to me? What?

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 29, 2011, 09:58:41 pm »

Eh, I accept getting angry over your opinion is probably not healthy, no matter how factually correct or incorrect it is or how much I dislike it or how fervently you defend it. Just want to point this out, but the fact I had typed out a message for over 2 hours and lost it due to copy-paste issues didn't help. I'd argue with you more about your D1 NL theory and in fact I'd enjoy doing so, I just can't discuss everything outstanding about it at once. Also having this discussion in the middle of a game is more than disruptive, so if you do feel free to PM me or something. Perhaps we should start a "Mafia Game Theory Discussion" thread or something, I don't know, I don't care.

The real issue at large I'm facing right now is that I'm no longer having fun playing mafia. It's not NUKE's statments (if I wanted to I could ignore his shit, I'm aware I've been terribad at doing so) or Webadict (Webadict's shit stopped affecting me over a year ago, plus he's obscum so who cares?). It's not even this game at all, I've just realized I no longer enjoy arguing the same way I used to. I don't like reading a ton of posts then going back post-by-post and responding one-by-one to construct a WoT. It feels like work to do this. You see those WoT's? Do you know how long making a WoT takes? A lot longer than it takes to read, that's for sure. It takes me over an hour to respond to a single page on the thread.  And I have about 6 pages left to go through, not even counting what's going to pop up in the next few hours, then overnight, then all the hours of the next day, and so on and so on. This post HERE took me an hour to type all on its lonesome, and it's not even that long. Sure, I write incredibly slowly, add bits all over the place, jump around randomly, and completely throw out sentences and even entire sections (the NUKE-rage bits got rewritten to tone them down, I've typed out entire paragraphs about things NUKE said and thrown them out for not being game related, ect.) and that's all my fault. But if I didn't do all that, I'd be writing like shit, and I'd feel even worse about myself. Plus I feel obliged to, you know, play to win, or at least play well, which I can't do if I'm not as coherent as possible. And I can't NOT respond to people, my entire playstyle hinges on responding. So if I want to play, I have to take ages to do anything, that's just how I am.

So what's my grand reward after slogging through all that typing and general bullshit? Everybody bitches about WoTs, most people don't even  have the decency to fucking read them, and I feel like a dick for wasting all this time and space. Thanks assholes! Next day, oops, look at all these posts that appeared, better start responding. Every fucking day. It never ends with this shit. Day in, day out, WoT after WoT after WoT. It's like two hours every goddamn day just to respond, not even to ask new questions or rethink things through or whatever. Monday is the worst, that's three or four hours ALONE because of all the weekend if I don't log in during them. God help me if I miss a day, then I'm forced to stop responding to people or sit here for fucking ever just to catch up. I don't even enjoy winning anymore, seeing the end of a game, win or lose, or even just dying in the middle, those are all fucking relieving. I get to the only part of the game I truly enjoy anymore when I'm a townie, seeing if my scumpicks were right or not. Do you know how long that fun lasts? MAYBE a minute. MAYBE. It's not worth it, and I'm coming to terms with that.

Fuck that noise, I quit, I want a replacement. Don't blame yourselves, it's me. I thought taking a break would help, it just made things worse. I shouldn't of even joined, I'm sorry. It's not winning or losing, it's having fun playing, and by that metric I'm dead last. I hope the rest of you (yes, even NUKE) have fun playing and I'm sorry for wasting all your time and energy about what's going to wind up being pointless.

@Toaster: I'll send in a night action if no replacement is found before the day end but after that you're on your own.

And now to throw this out here for everyone, the scumteam is Webadict-led and includes MBP. I'd accept Webadict's defense of NUKE if Web had a good reason for it, but frankly there is none. Web's defense of MBP is total bullshit, though, since it's not ok for a townie to ever interrupt discussion of other players. I'm aware I've done that as well by shutting down NUKE discussion, we both fucked up, although I'll contend NUKE's game theory discussion is a heck of a lot worse than a "useless" argument between OB and MBP. Beyond that I've had literally no chance to read past about early page 8.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 29, 2011, 10:15:22 pm »

Person: Do you have to be that detailed about everything? Like, the WoT you just gave could have been shrunk down to:

"Yeah, probably shouldn't have gotten so angry, whether I'm right or not. This discussion isn't even really relevant to the game though, so maybe we need a new 'Mafia Game Theory Discussion' thread or something.

Anyway, mafia just isn't fun for me anymore. It's not anything to do with this game, it just takes me fucking forever to write these WoTs, then nobody reads them and I feel like an asshole. I don't even enjoy winning anymore, because I'm too busy being flat-out relieved when the game ends because it means I don't have to slog through all this garbage.

So, sorry, but I'm out. Shouldn't have signed up. Good luck and enjoy the game."

...without losing too much information.

Nuke: You're wrong and your assertions are retarded, but if you're not going to scumhunt while defending them, I'm not interested in discussing their finer points.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 29, 2011, 10:34:13 pm »

Vote Count:

Ottofar:
Dariush:
TolyK: ECrownofFire, Webadict, Urist Imiknorris,
Powder Miner: Darvi
Think0028:
OrangeBottle:
Urist Imiknorris:
Mysteriousbluepuppet:
Andrew425: Ottofar
NativeForeigner:
Jack A T:
Darvi:
Mr.Person:
Nuke9.13: Mysteriousbluepuppet, Mr.Person, Dariush
Simple: Andrew425
Webadict:
ECrownofFire: Think0028, Simple, IronyOwl, OrangeBottle, Jack A T
IronyOwl:

No Lynch: Nuke9.13

Not Voting: NativeForeigner, TolyK, Powder Miner

Day 1 will end Wednesday 11/30 at 11 PM EST.

(May have been drinking recently- you may wish to verify your vote.)

Mr.Person needs a replacement.

3 prods have been issued for people inactive more than 36 hours.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 29, 2011, 10:54:05 pm »

So, question is do I waste my time responding to your ragequit, or is this like a pity party? Because you are straight-faced lying on so many accounts, it's not even funny.

Boohoo. It took you 2 hours to respond to the thread. See why no one reads through every single WoT? I didn't tell them to stop arguing to make sure no one read through the argument. I said it because no one is going to read through it. It's a big waste of space. Whatever was gained, wasn't something we could get from reading more of the same.

See, I've done this exact same thing. So, you know what? I stopped reading every single post 5 times over. It really doesn't matter if I pick apart a post over an hour, because you know why?

No. One. Cares. That's right. No one gives a crap about the amount of scummitude you can pull out of one post. You know what works? Short, fast posts. Why? Because anyone can read those on the go. You can quickly glance through the thread to see anything. If something piques my curiosity, I'll post about it. That's it. It stops me from hating this game. Because it is fun, if you actually try to enjoy it. I'm not gonna do what I used to do. I don't have seven-layer plans anymore. I don't have every fact memorized. I don't plan out every possibility. I just have a keyboard and some sweet ol' experience. That's all I need. Man, I feel dumb for just realizing that.

So, be mellow. Being angry makes you stupid, and it makes you make mistakes. Very big mistakes. Like, shotgunning accusations at me, covering both sides of the argument. Your arguments were unwinnable by design, and not because you're wrong, but because you can't accept you're wrong. You cannot throw both sides of an argument at someone and just hope either sticks.

Also, your argument is inherently flawed by you voting for NUKE. I'm the obvscum, so why not vote me?

Long story short I'm not even going to bother anymore, NUKE gets a permavote for the rest of the game. I don't even care anymore.
This is so very, incredibly productive Person. Go cool off and come back when you feel like rescinding this.

Webadict: Why are you trying to make him angrier? That's not going to solve any problems. In fact, that's just going to make him drop more scumtells regardless of what team he's on. So why are you intentionally provoking him?
I'm not his mother. If he's angry, then that is HIS problem, not mine. He didn't see how the game evolved. I did. So, I told him. I'm not trying to get him to drop scumtells. I'm trying to make him realize his arguments are terrible. Because they are. His anger is making him stupid.

His anger? That is his problem to deal with. I'm not a counselor. I'm not a relative. I'm some guy on the internet. I realize this is SRS BSNS, but grow up.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 29, 2011, 11:27:47 pm »

I'm not his mother. If he's angry, then that is HIS problem, not mine. He didn't see how the game evolved. I did. So, I told him. I'm not trying to get him to drop scumtells. I'm trying to make him realize his arguments are terrible. Because they are. His anger is making him stupid.

His anger? That is his problem to deal with. I'm not a counselor. I'm not a relative. I'm some guy on the internet. I realize this is SRS BSNS, but grow up.
That isn't answering my question at all. Why are you intentionally provoking him?
My Sig

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 29, 2011, 11:32:03 pm »

That isn't answering my question at all. Why are you intentionally provoking him?
I'm NOT intentionally provoking him. Do you not understand? There is not too extremes here. I did not provoke him, but I also did not baby him. I told him the truth. Does the truth hurt? Probably, but I'm not trying to grab scumtells off of it.

What is your problem?

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Jack
Andrew: In the future, say something when you'll be responding to something later.

I'll keep that in mind.

I'm not too sure on how to proceed though, it seems like the RVS stage has been winding down to three people.

I don't really understand the reasoning for Tolk and Crown for getting votes on them but I trust(?) that you experts know what you are doing.

I would vote for Nuke because of his No lynch mantra except for the fact that SIMPLE has yet to answer my question.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 29, 2011, 11:48:27 pm »

I'm NOT intentionally provoking him. Do you not understand? There is not too extremes here. I did not provoke him, but I also did not baby him. I told him the truth. Does the truth hurt? Probably, but I'm not trying to grab scumtells off of it.
You can tell him the truth without:
you are the idiot

Because, hmm, I didn't? CORRECT ANSWER, WEBADICT!

or did you just realize now you're a sack of lie-spewing garbage?

BRAIN-DEAD MORON!
AKA, being a huge asshole. Or, another way to say that, intentionally provoking him.
My Sig

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile

I'd like to play against Webadict for some more practice.  I'll sub in for Mr Person.  In the event it goes through, Extend as well.

I feel entirely too much time was wasted in this unfortunate argument, and I'll need time to get caught up.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Prod received. I'm in a bit of a rush, so ill post something tommorow afternoon or so.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 30, 2011, 12:18:42 am »

You can tell him the truth without:
you are the idiot

Because, hmm, I didn't? CORRECT ANSWER, WEBADICT!

or did you just realize now you're a sack of lie-spewing garbage?

BRAIN-DEAD MORON!
AKA, being a huge asshole. Or, another way to say that, intentionally provoking him.
You know what? I'm gonna go to sleep. When I get back, I'll assume you'll have figured out what is so incredibly stupid about your argument, or I'll tell you for you. I, however, can't think straight while tired.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #299 on: November 30, 2011, 12:51:24 am »

Right then, sorry for the absence. It's always hard for me to really get into a mafia game on D1. Too much random shit flying around.

Anyway, is everyone enjoying their bandwagon?

Especially you, Jack A T. Walk in here after an absence, vote for me for exactly the same reasons as everyone else, then leave.

ECrownofFire:

ECrownofFire: What's up with calling out Irony's question loaded and then refusing to comment when called out on it? Trying to stay on the sidelines and stir up trouble?
I didn't feel it needed anything more than a comment on it. It's not really such a massive scumtell that I'd go right after him.

Seriously?  And then you proceed to miss Simple's question, barely do anything, and when called on it, seemingly get annoyed at demands to do things.  Your answers have lacked detail, it has taken pushing for you to even reread the game, and your earlier contributions have consisted mostly of staying in the background, saying that one question was loaded and refusing to do more.

ECrownofFire for being extremely passive and useless.

And you, Darvi.

3. Fine, I'm rereading. Happy now?
Is that an indirect admittance to not paying attention to the game despite obviously having the time and ability to? Wat. Why would you do such a thing ECF oh wait there's only one plausible reason.
Two reasons, actually. One, I'm terrible at D1 play. And two, I just can't get into D1 that much. Neither of which particularly point to me being scum. (I would say that I'm busy, but that's just an excuse at this point :P)

By the way, webadict is always kind of an ass, mafia or town.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 60