Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231867 times)

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 415a)
« Reply #1680 on: November 25, 2011, 09:13:00 pm »

Laythe:

"Alright then, that's all I needed to know. Thank you for your time, Your Grace."

Later

Kathos read Nikephoros' letter and he smiled. Of course. Some wine would be very good for the morale - he could probably do that. His answer was quick and simple.

To General Nikephoros

It will be a pleasure, general. I will send some wine in the following days.

KT

Send a few barrels of wine to the barracks - make sure the soldiers know the gift comes from Kathos and Nikephoros.

((Still struggling with my connection. It's getting better.))

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: November 25, 2011, 09:23:11 pm »

Herfner goes and looks for A merchant to lease it to if he cannot find a decent deal then he will Talk to the young man
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: November 26, 2011, 12:11:49 am »

Send a few barrels of wine to the barracks - make sure the soldiers know the gift comes from Kathos and Nikephoros.
((I wont be a dick and make it cut into your profits for the year))

[4] The men receive the barrels near the end of the season. They're quite grateful for a little warming drink for a few nights to settle them after training and drills. You think their spirits are high enough that they're more likely to follow you in the coming season. (+1 loyalty bonus to their first combat of the coming season, will remain as long as they continue to win)

A merchant to lease it to
Talk to the young man
[6] You find a merchant that offers to lease the ship for .2d/season, payable every season. The problem he sees is that your ship has no crew and would require a discount if he had to provide his own crew

Make sail for any unclaimed ports or major markets that are acessible by sea around the coast, try not to sail to far. Bring my regiment along. Have the ship fly no colors and take down any decorative banners. Be on the lookout for merchant vessels along the way.

The nearest ports you think you can safely raid would be Polca or Lechem. Neither has a large military presence nor is either allied to any of hte major powers on the coast. There are several ports between Galam and Vasir, but your entire crew thinks it suicide to even contemplate them as targets.

[6] You manage to spot several merchant vessels in the area given the proximity to major nations. [2] They all seem to avoid ships flying no colors [2] or simply have a larger guard fleet than you could take on. [1] One such fleet is a regular convoy in the area. There are a pair of Cargo Vessels mixed into a handful of warships. [5] Luckily they ignore you...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 01:54:56 am by CyberGenesis »
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: November 26, 2011, 02:07:20 am »

Find some facts about Polca or Lechem, like which is weaker and which is more isolated
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: November 26, 2011, 02:23:21 am »

Find some facts about Polca or Lechem, like which is weaker and which is more isolated

[6] Polca and Lechem: Polca is a small city to the SE of Galam. It's another isolationist colony of little note. Few visit the place outside of merchants and they have no real naval authority. The city itself leans on Galam's existance and proximity for protection. Sporting only [1] real defensive unit of their own, the deep pockets of the Lordship are usually used to buy regimental defenses when needed or called for. Lately, this need has been lax and while the Lord is richer than most - he's also a cheap sod. Currently no known Galam mercenaries are within a week of Polca.

Lechem is an island nation to the SW of Shola and West of Ligoria. The Port City of Lechem is largely unprotected by their own forces, but due to the high sea-traffic of the area they often manage to be defended by proxy from Convoys out of larger Nations. Lechem has begun to adopt a merchantile leadership much like Vasir, and has made a few arrangements with them for trade rights and taxes. Lechem houses only [1] regiment of City Watch who have such an 'easy life' that the odds they'd be spotted anywhere other than the local taverns and whorehouses are slim.

Overall, both locations have their pros and cons and neither is likely to put up any real fight of their own. Largely the only factor to be looked at is who is a friend of whom in these parts of the Storm Coast...
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Spring 416a)
« Reply #1685 on: November 26, 2011, 07:48:18 am »

It is now Spring
The chills are banished back to their mountain homes; the warmth of the south returns to the Storm Coast. A new year dawns.

The spring sun illuminates a world on the brink of chaos. The Dragon Empire has geared for war and seized Mileth, and now the Storm Coast musters against it. Will this invasion be squashed before it even begins, or will the Artic Fox go down in history as the man who conquered the Storm Coast?

[2] Pray to the gods or visit a doctor. The winter sniffles have developed into an infection which sweeps the land. Those with enough money to keep themselves relatively clean, warm, and well fed are mostly safe, but many of the lower classes will die before this disease burns itself out.

Summary:
-NUKE9.13 offers a reward for anyone willing to write a bullet-point summary of the previous season. See other seasons for examples. Doesn't have to be long, just the major actions.
-Dwarmin complies; the summary is in the post below this one.

Year end bookkeeping:
So, lets see. Rolls for major events liable to have major consequences. Something like this?
Spoiler: am i doin it rite (click to show/hide)
May still be entirely wrong, but, um, there we go. Growth! That happens. Pop. Growth increases population of a city by 1, Prosp. increases the prosperity of a market by 1.

Previous Season (winter 415a), Next Season (Summer 416a)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 12:42:50 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: November 26, 2011, 08:35:53 am »

Things that happened this Winter:

-The lockdown of Talama was ended by General Nikephoros. Along with some help from Nobless Tala, and some words of his own, the people grumbled but there no incidents of direct opposition. They did however, demand *blood*-from exactly who, they might not care...

-A Mourish Peacekeeper named Max Yelksky raised some trouble in Talama seeking heretics, and was imprisoned (twice) and eventually cast from the walls by the Queen herself. His body was looted by street urchins, and he would receive no official funeral from the Church. An investigation by Tala Alanis revealed little, except the cult wished to be left alone. Another peacekeeper was sent soon afterwards...

-Tristan claimed his land he bought from William in Vale, went crazy, and faked his own death. He is hired on as a mercenary garrsion to Shola. He tries to open an Opium business...and is NEVER SEEN AGAIN.

-Tala inserted give Dragon Empire Agents into various places of Talama...

-William gathered the Taxes in his land a year earlier, and ransacked his own castle.

-A massive search for the Crow ended in failure and humiliation for all involved. Except for Tala, who caught hum and let him go ON PURPOSE.

-Thomas Talboh entered into Williams Employ. He practices magiks. And does not blow himself up. Yet.

-The Arctic fox conquers Mileth in a bloodless invasion, and gives up on Haiku forever. He establishes a fairly benign occupation of the city.

-Lucius Grimwalde makes an especial friend of Tala Alanis, and they agree to go into business together. He makes a small amount of money through trade.

-Avitus makes plans to build his university.

-William tries to kill a bunch of pirates, and fails so epic. There's some sort of Naval battle afterward, that ends in his allies favor.

-William also holds a tournament to celebrate his birthday, where he defeats all challengers. He meets a nice woman named Chriona, a 'gift' from Tala Alanis, who claims to serve an order called the 'Chroniclers', which are dedicated to writing the legends of our age-and she's been following him for that very reason. Will has his mind blown, and they get it on.

-Pasha Dolgorouki met his old flame and lover Tala Alanis after hearing she needed a tactician, and an ally...they get it on. Alot. There was much reminiscing.

-Pasha spends the season boning (heh) up on his Tactics for the upcoming battle in Mileth.

-Tala spends the season learning sword fighting. It's not fun, or sexy at all.

-Nikephoros, Avitus and Kathos form a Shadow Council to guide Ligoria's future. They don't tell the Queen, or invite Tala Alanis, those pigs.

-William searches for more people to vent his endless rage on. Polca or Lechem seem squishy and easy to push around...

-The soldiers all enjoy the New Years celebration with warm wine, but sadly, no warm women.

-Dwarmin probably misses some things in this summary and people complain about it, and he ends up making changes and adding and subtractions. He silently resents them all.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 10:35:22 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: November 26, 2011, 12:02:41 pm »

On Talama's main square...

A young man in his early twenties is riding in, a bewildered look on his boyish face. His clothes, while well-made have that little something that mark their wearer as a country boy. However, instead of making him look stupid, those clothes gives him a nice, fresh, attractive look. Stepping down, he looks around before setting his eyes on a lady in rich attires. Taking of his feathered cap, Sheb kneel in front of the woman.

"My Lady, I hope you'll excuse me for my impudence in introducing me to you in such a shameless fashion, but I must tell you that your presence alone brightened my day. I am but a country boy, coming to the City to search for honor and fortune, and was quite frightened and confused by the clamor until I saw you. For surely, a City harboring such an angel must be a place that no man would despise.

However, even the most ravishing view can't protect one against the spring drizzle or fill one's stomach. Could I then bother you to ask if you know a good inn where an honest man can find a clean bed and a good table, and where I would be free to muse over the luck I had to witness such a beautiful visage on this day."

(Dwarmin, can I assume this lady is Tala Alin?)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: November 26, 2011, 12:07:48 pm »

"You'll have a discount, for the first season, then you'll pay full price. Agreeded?" Gregor try's and negotiate with the merchants. "I have other offers waiting, but I'll give you this much of a discount."
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: November 26, 2011, 12:49:17 pm »

(@Sheb: Naturally! Either you found her-not hard since she tends to travel in the city listening for rumors-or she found *you*, on purpose. Watch out for Pasha. He'll shove something of yours into something else of yours. ???

Also, it's 'Tala Alanis')

Tala was shopping for something that day-a little something to celebrate her birthday with, her real birthday that was. She was wondering what Pasha would bring her...and then she saw him.

Her first thought upon seeing the young man-not a boy in any sense of the word-was that he was lost, and needed help-her help. He seemed out of place...it was the subtle things, that marked him as not quite being a city dweller. His clothes for one-not silk or fur, but durable cotton, a cloth more native to her homeland-they were well worn, slightly richer in tone from the unnumbered summers he, or his father might had spent in them. She knew if-for example-she was to press her head against his chest, she would smell rich, suntouched cloth, intoxicating and refreshing. The feather in his cap, pheasant-not peacock, or something even more exotic. She supposed he might have killed the bird himself. Even his boots looked to be be tough, scuffed leather-well used, and well oiled and polished often, with no ornate buckles or frills.

These were, from what she understood, the marks of low born noble. But...he was handsome. Given a few years, those boyish good looks would harden into a manly physique, much like Pasha had.

He approached her, took a knee and began speaking...she had to admit, he had the voice of a one man choir-even and polite in tone, yet with the energy that could only be produced by someone who was profoundly confident in themselves.

She was impressed. He was surely a land owner, with money in his belt. Was he seeking court favors? Lands? Noblehood? The spy inside of her told her to play to his deeper wishes-tempt, entice, flatter...he likes to talk, let him talk.

"Let me guess-If I am angel, then Heaven is surely a poorer place without me, right? I suppose you might have had that line socked away for later?"

Tala couldn't conceal a smile and a polite laugh. He had a hungry look in his eyes, but it was unfocused. What did he really want?

"Do not think I mock you overmuch-I have had many men offer me many lines-for my beauty is a rare gift that few enjoy more than in passing-, but few of them were in such speech as sweet and humble as yours."

She put her right hand on her hip, and offered him her left hand to stand up.

"You may rise to your feet, sir, unless you are so momentarily dazzled you, that I must send someone to fetch the smelling salts.

...For, You have made a friend of the Tala Alanis, and that is me. We are most well met. I do know an Inn-best in the city, clean, well stocked...and discreet."

She let the last word linger, allowing him to think whatever he wanted. Tala smiled brightly, leaning forward to brush a few snowflakes off his coat in an intimate, almost motherly gesture.

"So, who do I have pleasure of meeting today?"

Tala hoped Pasha wasn't around-he was so very protective of her...he might get the wrong idea. Then again, they had long ago came to an accord, that sometimes Tala has to act in a certain way to do her job well...but, she knew how much it hurt him to watch her do it. And, his pain was her pain. She really hoped he wasn't around today.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: November 26, 2011, 01:38:15 pm »

"Let me guess-If I am angel, then Heaven is surely a poorer place without me, right? I suppose you might have had that line socked away for later?"

Sheb couldn't help a laugh. She was right, his silken tongue had impressed more than a few farm girls, but here, in the big, sophisticated city, ladies were of course way more exigent of their admirer. Still, he knew himself to be attractive. He had chosen older clothes of his that showed his country origin, and knew that as she spoke, the woman was probably reminiscing of the summer holidays she spent in the family estate.

Sure enough, she soon offered him her hand. As he stood up, she introduced herself as Tala Alanis. The name reminded Sheb of something he couldn't exactly remember. Probably nothing important...

As he was rising back to his feet, she told her of an Inn. A discreet inn. Was she already making advance? Maybe this traveling merchant was right about the Ladies of Talama after all! Still, it could be a trap, to discover his real intentions. He wasn't pressed, better to play it safe than to frighten that beautiful lady.

"I am Sheb Dimplefeather, son of Howard Dimplefeather, from green Tasrat. I excuse myself if my word seemed laughable, but I assure you that they were pure expression of delight at such a sight. Maybe you would do me the honor of letting me offer you a cup of chocolate in this clean, well-stocked inn? I'm afraid such a cold weather is improper for a discussion, even with your presence warming my heart.

While pronouncing this last sentence, Sheb noticed an uneasiness crossing Tala's face for the smallest moment, just an hint of an urge to look over her shoulder, suppressed before even moving. The lady sure had control over herself, but he wondered what this meant. Was she married? She carried no ring, so maybe she was merely engaged? That would make things more difficult, but by no mean impossible. Anyway, there was nothing now to do but to wait for her reply.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: November 26, 2011, 02:09:51 pm »

Nikephoros was wearing his best field outfit, with colours of Ligoria underneath the layers of metal ansd leather. The spring was finally here and he was glad he was about to take to the field.
But one small matter remained. As he headed to the throne room he went over the situation in his head.

Avitus and Kathos were in place. Army was ready and the land can be swiftly occupied on the march back home. The silly redhead was giving over the command to some boy she knew, no doubt he was paid in both coin and friendly "company", and the engineer that was hired should have prepared something for him. Nikephoros was willing to spend his last copper to get his hand on the gunpowder weapons, and if everything went as he planned, Ligoria should be on a meteoric rise to hegemony.

All that remained was money. Nikephoros entered the throne room.

Your Majesty, I want to inform you that everything was taken care of and that we are ready to march out. I just wanted to ask you though abut the matter of my payment. As I remember 1d was the agreed sum, with my regiment being paid separately as part of the normal army spending. Also, there is a detail of Ligoria expanding its border once we take over Mileth. I suggest that all land beteen us and Mileth can be occupied and proclaimed as part of Ligoria, with the local landowners rounded up and sent to the capital, where they would be forced to publicly submit themselves to you as subjects. No one will cry wolf if Avitus will prepare a solid explanation of our need to defend against Dragon Empire and prepares a diplomatic mission to Shola, which will be offered our protection.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: November 26, 2011, 02:13:09 pm »

I thought he would never ask, Tala thought. I'm freezing out here!

She gave him a mental nod-he had known she would be cold in her expensive nobles clothes, which looked stunning but did nothing to warm her.

"Charmed to meet you Sheb Dimplefeather.

Your offer has struck a chord with me. The dreadful chill is said to be perilous this year...but, we shall not talk about such unhappy things as I have heard.

A cup of warm chocolate will no doubt sweeten my day, if you pardon the pun."

Tala smiled as warm as she could, and motioned for the man to follow and speak with her...she had originally thought to take him to the Robber's Flask, but it seemed he wanted to treat her to something a little more high class. Real Chocolate was rare, and expensive.

So, she would take him to the most expensive Inn in the city-the 'Gilded Cage'. It was certainly the most trendy, anyway-and, quite discreet, upon the literal pain of death that might ensue if servers were to talk about what happened behind it's doors. She had reservations for dinner and a room here for her birthday night with Pasha...but, in the cold, with only Sheb (standing so close to her in a way like Pasha did) it was hard to concentrate on anything in the future.

Tala straightened herself up, promising she wouldn't be taken in and added to his list of trophy women-like the the farm girls and local dames he was had no doubt practiced on, up till now. On the other hand, that wasn't a bad promise to break, either. He was fairly handsome, and did not seem predatory in anyway, at least.

"Tell me Sir Dimplefeather, what brings you to Talama? Is it merely the quality of the women, or something else? There is great opportunity here...for those with courage and foresight enough to hold it."

She tapped her chin thoughtfully, appraising his answer. Honest man, indeed. Let's see how honest you really are.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 02:16:11 pm by Dwarmin »

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: November 26, 2011, 02:14:26 pm »

...Polca, eh? One bloody regiment...this might turn out to be a fun season...
William leaned back in the chair and though for a long while. Actually it was only about fifteen minutes. Then he smiled.
...That might work William...if that bloody greedy lord has enough loot stashed up...

William will sail to Polca's docks. He'll also speak with Chironas when she comes to call.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: November 26, 2011, 02:57:23 pm »

As they entered the Gilded Cage Sheb realized his luck. He had chosen the first beautiful woman to ask his direction ("Always ask directions to people you'd want to hang out with" used to say his father. You never know what come from it.) and by her clothes he expected her to be from the nobility, but a woman who chose such an inn must be from the very upper reaches of society. And she said he was her friend!

"Ahah, no, although if that had been my intention, I couldn't have chosen a better city. I'm afraid I came here for a more common endeavour. My father want me to inherit from the family business -we own and operate several mills- but I'd rather die than spend my life haggling with a starving peasant for the share of his crop he'll have to pay to turn in in flour.

As I said, I came here for honor and gold. I want to go back to Tasrat and show him that I am not made of miller's material. I do not yet know what I'll do, but as you said this is a city of opportunities. I am sure that there is room for a bright, enterprising young man. 

But excuse me, I am forgetting my most basic duties."

As he turn around, Sheb hail one of the server.

"Please bring a cup of warm chocolate for madam and some cakes. I myself will take a glass of hypocras. Could you sit us next to the fireplace? It is freezing outside."

As the servers ready the table and add wood to the fire, Sheb turn to face Tala.

"And, if it's not indiscreet, may I ask what brings you to Talama? I think I hear a charming accent in your voice, you're not from here, are you?"

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 220