Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231834 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 415a)
« Reply #1665 on: November 24, 2011, 06:26:58 pm »

Pasha nodded to Tala, accepting his turn to speak, and stepped forward with a bow. "Your majesty. As Lady Alanis has said, we have a past and when I heard she - and by extension, Ligoria - might have need of my skills I came to see her." He kept his stance in the bow as he continued to speak. "My skills are primarily in planning. With no arrogance do I say you'll not find many tacticians better than me at reading a battlefield, and even now I'm continuing to further my studies of war. I'll bring Ligoria as much honor as is within my power; if you want to check the results of my work, look to the east. Many of the minor nobles owe their lands and fortunes to my prowess." He stepped back to Tala's side and resumed his normal posture. "I'll remain at Lady Alanis's estate for the duration, should you or one of your own commanders have need of me."

Lord Marlax... Pasha shuddered. There was one post he regretted ever taking. The man was a beast in every since of the word. His men were barely disciplined enough to follow the plans Pasha devised and his courts were filled with more depravity than the tactician could handle. And Lord Marlax himself? A large, brutal man with... unusual tastes. He didn't want to think about what happened to the poor young men and women who had been taken to the dungeons whenever a small village was conquered. And to think he considered it his right, as tribute from the fallen... It had gotten to be too much. Even three years between then and now did little to dull the recollections.

...Now's not the time to think about that... He gave Tala a quick, small smile to reassure her he wasn't worried about meeting with the Queen, and with the hope that his thoughts would turn to more pleasant images by looking at her.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: November 24, 2011, 07:04:01 pm »

"It will be a pleasure to have you here then Pasha. Though I do suggest that you do introduce yourself to General Vandire, He probably will be pleased to meet a fellow commander. Though I do wonder where you did find him. Men of his proclaimed skill aren't easy to find..."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: November 24, 2011, 07:18:20 pm »

As Tala watched Pasha speak, she found herself remembering...

The presence of anothers eyes on her back. The Nobleman she was dancing with (The Minister of Finance, naturally) had not been just annoyed, he was close to furious. It had been an interesting night-fending off what seemed to her at the time just another hot blooded young man looking to get under her skirt, trying to placate the Minister so he wouldn't have one or both of them whipped...fun times.

She began to get gifts, soon enough. She had socked the wine away for celebration (especially the Galam Honey Ale, her favorite), threw away the scarves and the flowers...hit and miss. Some of them she placed in the window, knowing how it would excite him to see them. At first it was just a mean little game she was playing, but eventually Tala began to notice the presents became less expensive...and more personal. Such little things-a songbird carved made of blue glass, a box of liqoured Chocolates, Fresh Fruit (how he had known she loved blueberries, she had never thought to ask), an ivory hair clip ironically in the shape of a dragon, even a badly written love poem that was nevertheless written with so much tenderness she kept it with her to this day...it was these small gifts that began to make her think about him as more than just someone looking to take advantage of her, or trying to buy her with money.

Still, she might never have given Pasha a second thought, if Matthew hadn't all but ordered her to...attend to him. Tala knew why-Matthew had made several awkward advances of his own recently, and Tala had expertly rebuffed him. He was a very bitter man.

The desire came quickly once she let herself be more open with Pasha-it made her happy, in a way she hadn't been in a long time. What started as a mission, became personal...and yet, she still withheld herself, knowing that while she was a spy, to reveal as such would be diasaster.

Then, Matthew did it for her. A master stroke-planting a ream of stolen documents in Talas room, in a place where Pasha was sure to find them.

He wasn't quite looking to expose Tala-just scare her very badly, and remind her of how strong he was. Matthew had hired that first assassin to take care of Pasha eventually, no matter what happened.

Tala remembered the look in his eyes as Pasha looked at the papers. There was amounts of anger, shock, betrayal...and something else, which she now knew had been love, warring with his sense of duty and honesty. Tala had been lying naked and unarmed on the bed, and at that moment, she had thought her life was over-either she killed him (which was something she could never have done..at least, with her own hands) or, killed herself after he left to tell the authorities (One strong cup of Jade Maiden tea.)...and naturally, Pasha could have blackmailed her-into doing whatever he wanted her to do.

She had felt her stomach begin to heave at the thought-the choice between death and being forced to...her Mother had been faced with the same choice, and died with what little dignity she had at the hands of a deranged nobleman. (she had never found out the murderers name...yet. Lucky for him) What scared her so badly was the fact she didn't know if she was brave enough to make the same choice.

"I'm a spy. For the Dragon Empire. A traitor. A liar. To you-to everyone. I probably deserve whatever is going to happen to me." Was what she had said to him, on the verge of tears. He had walked close to her then...Tala had tensed, and then Pasha had placed both hands on her shoulders, and whispered into her ear. 'I don't care."

She had been shocked to her core at those three small words. It was his simple act of mercy that had tied them to together-in love, in hardship, in life. For better or for worse...till death do they part.

She caught Pasha's subtle smile. He was always so much braver than her. The Queen spoke..

"Sir Dolgorouki found me, to tell the truth. Whenever me...or my family has needed him, he has always been there for us."

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 07:24:22 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: November 24, 2011, 07:25:22 pm »

"Very well. I assume you're paying his wages, or is that something I have to do?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: November 24, 2011, 07:30:03 pm »

"Well...with my current funds, I will need a half of a ducat to pay his wages after the conclusion of our campaign in the spring. I am starting a lumber venture on my lands around the same time that should allow me to repay you quickly enough."

It never ceased to amaze Tala how easy it was to speak about spending so much money as if it were a trifle. For a woman like her, that had once stolen reams of copper wire to afford enough coal for heat to survive the Winters, it was downright hilarious.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 08:06:41 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: November 24, 2011, 07:56:25 pm »

(@Dwarmin: I don't think I have a regiment; it's just me. ^^^; )

Pasha nodded to Queen Laythe's question. "I'll try not to be a burden on anyone's treasury," he said jokingly. He placed a hand on Tala's shoulder. "I'll honor my commitments, regardless of when payment comes."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: November 24, 2011, 08:04:19 pm »

It was hard to hold her emotions in check at Pasha's words, which were so delicious with double meaning it sent a shiver up her body she was sure Pasha also had to have felt. Tala wanted to laugh, to hold him, and kiss and...

But...damn it...this wasn't the place or time! Tala stayed strong. For now.

"For Sir Dolgorouki, money is only a secondary concern to the service of a good cause."

But not YOUR cause, Queen Laythe, Tala thought but did not say. Mine!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 08:07:50 pm by Dwarmin »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: November 24, 2011, 08:32:27 pm »

"Very well. I assume Tala has told you everything you needed to know about our current situation?"

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: November 24, 2011, 08:36:55 pm »

"I pieced together a few rumors and got the rest of the story from her," Pasha confirmed. "An agent of the Dragon Empire has taken the town of Mileth, correct?" He was sure it was, but there was no harm in restating it to see if she had any additional information neither of them were privy to.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: November 24, 2011, 09:04:12 pm »

"I guess you know everything you need to then. I guess that's all the both of you wanted then?"

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: November 24, 2011, 11:32:32 pm »

Receive payment
How much the boat will sell for.

Your Prize Crew rejoins the rest of your men at port while you drag the Pirate Captain off to the magistrate of the city. [4] The pirate captain was worth a solid 2d alive, simply because the magistrate wanted the pleasure of having him executed.

The ship he sailed isn't worth more than 1d, which is the standard construction cost of a new ship. You might be able to find a merchant to lease it, otherwise there's a standing offer from a strange young man in town for [3] .75d

Interact with the soldiers. gather opinions, listen to their needs. Gauge their loyalty towards me and the Crown.

[4] Most of the soldiers think that the situation in Mileth is barely any of their concern. After all, the Dragon Empire has pushed into the Sword Coasts for as long as anyone can remember - and nothing has every come of it before. [2] It's winter. Their needs are simple and logical. They'd always love a raise, but they'd settle for fewer drills is the cold and rain. [4] The men, for the most part, are loyal to their pay and survival. They'd follow a General into the fires of hell as long as he'd proven to them they might actually survive.
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: November 25, 2011, 03:30:43 am »

Tala nodded.

"Thank you for the audience, my Queen."

With that, she moved to leave the throne room.

Pasha followed a moment later-he might have said something to the Queen-and walked beside her. A little to close (but it felt so very right), she whispered into his ear "Why do you taunt me so! Have some patience, you villian."-she grinned and and playfully pushed him-after a quick look around to make sure no one was spying on them.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: November 25, 2011, 03:46:58 am »

Pasha bowed again. "I look forward to furthering Ligoria's cause by serving under Lady Alanis," he said, knowing full well that if Tala heard him her face would probably be as red as her hair. She was already on her way out of the throne room, so after taking his leave he hurried to catch up and fell into step beside her. "Why do you taunt me so! Have some patience, you villain," Tala whispered in his ear with a giggle he had come to know and love. After a quick glance around, she shoved him away and he pretended to stumble. "You're awfully cruel today... claiming I'm taunting you and then shoving me around." No one was around to see, so before she was aware what was happening he had her pinned against the wall with one hand on her shoulder and the other on the wall next to her head to prevent her escape.

"I think you should make it up to me. I could have fell and hurt myself," he teased. Not even fifty feet away from the throne room... was she that daring? He was certainly eager to find out. But on the other hand... "Although perhaps we shouldn't take such crazy risks. People do like to talk," he added in a more serious tone as he stepped away. "And I don't see any barrels around anyway."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: November 25, 2011, 04:33:56 am »

'Tala' enjoyed the game. Someone could come along...any second. But, no one did. Exciting...

"Pasha my love. I'd only risk this for you."

She giggled, whispering back, moving forward to embrace, and touching foreheads with him-well, close enough. He was quite a bit taller. The shoulders helped, again.

"...Indeed, no barrels...but there is a place nearby...well, lets just say we don't have to worry about waking up the occupants, no matter how loud we might be..."

She took Pasha by the hand and led him off, unresisting.

Surely, the abandoned crypt under the East wall was not the most romantic of spots, but there actually was no 'occupant' currently, and it was off the normal guard patrols...they could always jump in the empty coffin if someone came along...

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: November 25, 2011, 04:37:42 am »

What the soldiers told Nikephoros was not far from his own ideas about the soldiers morale. And while the drills in the cold were necessary, there was a way to ease their winter blues, if only for a short time....

As he was leaving his men, he walked back towards his quarters and was deeply in thought about the situation to come. The training these men are under is only a meagre fraction of what was to come under the reform. This cold and rain was only the pinnacle of a mountain of blood and mud. There will be many who will curse him and there will be few that may never see the next day. But by God, they will become like steel and in the end they will worship him for that once they start winning their battles. and the rewards that will follow will be more than enough to replay them for their effort.

Once back in his quarters, Nikephoros penned a short note to his ally.
To Baron Kathos

Dear friend, would you mind sending few barrels of your wine to the barracks? My soldiers could use a little treat and we need them in high spirits once the spring comes. Just make sure they know its from both of us.

Yours truly
General Nikephoros 

While warm wine was a small gesture, Nikephoros hoped it will be sufficient to boost the spirits of his men. He planned for more once Mileth was taken.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 12:26:23 pm by Ardas »
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 220