Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231856 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Spring 416a)
« Reply #1695 on: November 26, 2011, 05:11:23 pm »

Now this.
Now the interesting part of running a business: the bills.
A letter, from some bank, for- who? Oh, Kawakai. The lizard who got herself poisoned a few months back. She took out a loan, and now the bankers wanted their money back. He briefly considered explaining that Kawakai was both unconscious and not in the city, but that would only lead to trouble. Better, perhaps, to just pay it.
Also, the bank wanted part of the income. A quarter of the profits, they said. Well now. Hugo wondered if they knew how much of the 'profits' consisted of black money? Would they want a cut of that, or would they settle for just that earned by the bar? Once again, probably better to just give them what they asked for, no complications.
Taxes, of course. Always taxes. Isn't this an embassy? Since when do embassies pay taxes? Eh, probably best not to remind people about the Hacturi. Just pay them.
The income... two ducats. The bar earned but a small portion of that, given that few people would drink in a lizard's tavern. Fortunately, the Bleeding Fists paid their way as well, so the business still made a respectable income- but not enough to repay the loan, the cut of the profit, and the taxes. And whilst he wasn't poor, his pockets did not jangle with gold, nor did those around him. The Embassy was in the red.

Time to do something about that.

Hugo looked around his office. Piles of painting in various stages of completion littered the room. There were a few commissions which had postponed as he acclimatised himself to the bureaucracy, but he had managed to finish a few of those in the winter. Ah, but the horizon- he had spent so much time focused on the horizon. Too much time, really. He had spent days focused on nothing but painting the perfect horizon in a painting, and quite forgotten to pay attention to the world.
Well, now the world had come knocking. That time spent had better pay off.

Hugo sells that which his brush has wrought. Notable pieces in this period include 'The Lady's Play', showing a performance of early Ligorian Noble Theatre (possibly the first play in this style), 'Crows in red', a murder of crows set against a blood-red sunset, and 'Hugo's lament', a self portrait of the artist sitting amongst piles of paperwork. Many pieces of this period feature crows in the background, often based off of the features of a single crow, a pet raven which belonged to the artist.
Long Live United Forenia!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: November 26, 2011, 05:45:49 pm »

Tala watched as the well trained staff of the Glided Cage sprang into action-if more because of Shebs commanding presence or her own, she couldn't say.

Sheb spoke, but Tala waited until the fire was hot enough to warm her bones, before answering him. Ahh, there is was. Nice and toasty...

"I arrived in Talama a year ago, hearing of the opportunity to be gained under a new Queens rule...turns out, I was right. She made me a Noble, gave me land...and I've been trying to better my position ever since, more or less."

He asked about her accent, which was odd. Her homeland was not in fact, truly Ligoria-not that she could admit it to him-perhaps he picked up on something...

"I am Ligorian born and bred, but I lived cloistered in my families manor for most of my young life. I missed out on many things-adopting the local customs and mannerisms was one of them. Now, I feel it gives me a certain exotic flair...that some men find difficult to resist. I think you are immune to my charms, though, Sir Dimplefeather. By now most men have hastily propositioned me. Then again, we have all night...."

She didn't let him respond, before continuing. She saw his mouth opened, so it pleased her to interrupt him, throw him off his game. Ooh, I'm a naughty little minx, am I not? She thought giddily.

"...as for my accent, some have said my parts of my accent no doubt come from my first language tutor, who said she dwelled somewhere in the Green Empire when she was young. I suppose some of it may have...rubbed off on me."

The servers arrived-a plate of finely browned pastry cakes, glazed with golden honey and fragarent peanut sauce, along with a glass of Hypocras (in a crystal fluted wineglass, naturally) and piping Hot Chocolate with cold cream, powdered sugar and cinnamon forming a delicious layer (in a decadadently large tea cup).

She began stirring it, and took her first sip. Mmm. It tasted like Heaven. She noticed he had not touched his Hypocras yet.

"It seems we share common interests, Sir Dimplefeather..."

She trailed, off enjoying her drink (quite much) and seeing if he had anything more to say...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #1697 on: November 26, 2011, 08:11:42 pm »

"We shall give him the best burial we can in such foul places", stated Oli'c, with a face full of faked compassion. Digging a hole for the body, they carried him to it, and burnt a small offering of the blueleaf, a few hand-fulls worth. After that, they covered the body in pine needles, and chanted a prayer.

"For the remainder of this day, we rest, then proceed," said Oli'c.

Rest, and in the morning continue to move north.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: November 26, 2011, 08:32:08 pm »

Pasha had watched Tala leave for the market earlier. He hadn't accompanied her since they were trying to avoid spreading too much talk, and besides, some aspects of her job were best handled alone. If she had to shake down some rube or send out a secret message, best she do so without him looming over her shoulder. And on another note... it gave him some much needed rest, and an opportunity to catch up on his reading and letters. First he wrote and posted one.

General Nikephoros Vandire,
My name is Pasha Dolgorouki. This season past I have joined Ligoria's cause as commander of Lady Tala Alanis's troops.
Unfortunately I have been too busy getting accustomed to Ligoria to write to you until now, but Lady Alanis and her soldiers regard you highly.
If it is not too much trouble, could you drop by her estate if you have time next week so I may greet you personally?
Fond Regards,
Pasha

While that was being sent off, and he waited for Tala to return, he cracked open Sir Rainor's book and turned to chapter 3...

All the training points on Tactician again. EDIT: Should studying up to Rank 2 not be possible due to rule editing, retcon the previous Tactician studying and use this as Swordfighting; makes sense a book of war would include personal defense anyway.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 01:42:24 am by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: November 27, 2011, 12:21:18 am »

As Tala waited patiently for Hugo to speak again-he still hadn't sipped his Hyporcras-she thought about someone who might enjoy a letter from her...

Sometime later that night

Tala decided to pen a letter to Hugo. Poor man, cooped up in that Embassy.

To one Hugo van Vissersdorp

Hello again! I know you're reading this letter under a mountain of work Hugo-I know, because you've all but disappeared lately, into that embassy of yours. I've missed you, and I'm not the only one. Your art is selling wonderfully at least-since some people are under the impression you were the one the Queen cast from the wall a few months ago. You are in need of a long overdue public appearance.

ahh, but do you remember me, though? I have beautiful red hair, impeccable style in men and hold the most fabulous parties...go ahead and guess.

Did you know my birthday was coming up this friday? Indeed! Though you may be dissapointed, I am not holding a gladiatorial contest, or a massive gathering of the Kingdoms most powerful people. It's going be small, personal-only for my friends. Obviously, I'm inviting you. Please, tell me you if you can make it. I figure we'll have be able to wine and dine, and talk like we used to...

Also, bring a friend-or more than a friend. My old friend Pasha Dolgorouki is attending. I'm sure you'd like to meet him. You know the saying, no one likes a fifth wheel and all that.

Really, I feel we should all get nice, drunk and happy before we ride off to that horrible war, don't you think? You could use a break Hugo, I know. So could I.

Hoping to hear from you soon, Tala Alanis!

P.S: I'm not expecting a present from you, but I will jab you in the eye if you show up without one.

Then, she penned a letter to Avitus...

To one Avitus Traianus

I hope the work on the university is going swimmingly, Avitus. From what I've seen, it's going to be a place that rivals the entire Storm Coast in grandeur. Maybe my own children will attend one day...

Anyway, frippery aside, I wanted to invite you to a little something this Friday evening-my birthday party. It's very small, very personal. Just a good meal, fine drink and a night of ease for us all, before the business in Mileth gets underway.

I hope we can talk again soon, and catch up-it seems as soon as I got to know you, your duties whisked you away!

Ah, you should also bring someone...a friend, or someone more special. Maybe Nikephoros or Thunderblade, if you like-I can't say I know them well enough to invite them first hand! Or maybe Avitus has a woman in his life he wouldn't mind enjoying the evening with? Oh ho!

Hoping you can get back to me, Tala Alanis

Then for fun, she wrote a letter to William. Her outriders could probably get it to him in time...

To Sir Black Rose

Ho! I am terribly risking my life and limb by sending you this. But, frankly, we're a little bit beyond that, don't you think? I hope you enjoyed the tattooed woman, at least. Speaking from experience-she had a body to die for, doesn't she! I was half tempted to spend the night with her myself...Let *that* thought marinate in your mind, dear boy

Ha. Well, the Lady in Green still misses you-no matter what the Queen thinks, that dreadful beast-and looks forward to the day you might be return...in triumph.

Until then, we'll have to act as foes, though. Even if I have quarrel with you to keep up appearances, remember it's not personal. Just business.

My birthday is this Friday-I can't expect this letter to reach you by any time I can forsee imaginable. Since I doubt you will be scale the walls of Talama covertly to attend my party, I must request you send my present from afar-something special, to the walls of my estate. At night. Merely have your messenge show a black rose...and we will not be harmed.

And, if you ever trusted me enough to want to meet face to face...well, who knows what will happen tomorrow?

Hoping to not catch you anytime soon, For I am nobody anyway...

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: November 27, 2011, 12:44:31 am »

"We shall give him the best burial we can in such foul places", stated Oli'c, with a face full of faked compassion. Digging a hole for the body, they carried him to it, and burnt a small offering of the blueleaf, a few hand-fulls worth. After that, they covered the body in pine needles, and chanted a prayer.

"For the remainder of this day, we rest, then proceed," said Oli'c.

Rest, and in the morning continue to move north.
[5] You and your men rest, nobody slaughtered in their sleep, or burned in their tents today. And in the morning Ar'gr is able to walk, if a bit weakly. [6] He seems to bear you no ill will and keeps his mouth shut about murdering the peasant.
[2] You head north, but find nothing of interest along the paths.

"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: November 27, 2011, 01:20:42 am »

Personal Trade Orders

Buy 2 Flax in vasir
Sell in Aching, buy 2 units pork
sell in galam,
Sail to Shola, buy 2 units Medicine
Sell in ligoria, Buy 2 units LQ lumber
Sell in Lechem - Return to Vasir Empty
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 01:36:36 am by CyberGenesis »
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: November 27, 2011, 01:35:41 am »

"You'll have a discount, for the first season, then you'll pay full price. Agreeded?" Gregor try's and negotiate with the merchants. "I have other offers waiting, but I'll give you this much of a discount."

The merchant argues for [3] two season's discount, and will agree to no less.

William will sail to Polca's docks. He'll also speak with Chironas when she comes to call.

You arrive in Polca...
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: November 27, 2011, 02:26:48 am »

"Agreed." They shake on the deal. He then goes back to the tavern. After a few minutes of idle small talk with Kelly, he gets to buisness. "Kelly, those pirates were prepared for me, I think some one may've tipped 'em off. What company made that contract.
(Now make it one base in Ligoria and tally ho' an adventure awaits. AKA im doing  aloop for player interaction) talk with kelly
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: November 27, 2011, 06:00:44 am »

Your Majesty, I want to inform you that everything was taken care of and that we are ready to march out. I just wanted to ask you though abut the matter of my payment. As I remember 1d was the agreed sum, with my regiment being paid separately as part of the normal army spending. Also, there is a detail of Ligoria expanding its border once we take over Mileth. I suggest that all land beteen us and Mileth can be occupied and proclaimed as part of Ligoria, with the local landowners rounded up and sent to the capital, where they would be forced to publicly submit themselves to you as subjects. No one will cry wolf if Avitus will prepare a solid explanation of our need to defend against Dragon Empire and prepares a diplomatic mission to Shola, which will be offered our protection.

"Alright. Your troops have been paid, and payment for your services will be delivered immediately. As for expansion, your idea is a solid one and I find nothing wrong with it"

Recruit one Heavy 3 Cav for 8 Ducats, and one Heavy archer regiment for 3 Ducats. Payment for Nikepheros is also to be rendered. Remaining funds are either at 1.5 Ducats or higher depending on taxes and such.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: November 27, 2011, 06:32:45 am »

Thank you my Queen. Everything is prepared and all people participating in the campaign should be ready by tomorrow. And if not I will make them ready.

As Nikephoros was leaving the audience, he received a note from a messenger that was looking for him. Who was it form? Pasha? Oh, it was that boy that Tala hired.
Heh, a meeting? next week? Does he think we have time for dinner parties? And that tone! People that were supposed to serve rarely spoke to their superiors in such way, least of all in official correspondence.

When he got back to his office , he penned a short reply.

To captain Dolgorouki,
You are requested to meet me immeidately in my quarters for campaign debriefing.
your presence is mandatory.

General of HM Armies, Nikephoros Vandire

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: November 27, 2011, 08:04:28 am »

((Thank you CG for rolling for the spy issue! And sorry once again, my weekends have been very busy lately...))

Avitus was sitting at his desk, putting the last touches to some documents and letters that would be necessary in both the military campaign and the land-claiming that would ensue, when he received a letter from Tala.
He sighed, wondering why he still had to comply to those silly court distractions at his age. And for a while, he remembered the life he lived in his castle, when no one's birthday would interrupt his reading and working nights.
But getting back to present, he still needed to be present at such parties for the time being, so he wrote a simple answer:

To Lady Alanis:

Thank you for asking, the university workings are directed by a masterful architect, who I'm sure will do a fantastic and fast work. This winter's tense diplomatic situation left me restless for almost three months, so I guess you could say my work did get in the way of any social interaction.
As for your birthday party, a distraction before the coming war is I believe much needed, and I will be honored to attend it. Unfortunately I will have no feminine company, but I'll make sure Lord Thunderblade knows he is invited.

Regards, Avitus Traianus.

After another few hours of writing, burning and reshaping letters for foreign diplomats, Avitus stumbled upon a small administrative problem. Browsing through his diverse legal books, he seemed annoyed. He finally decided on writing a note directly to the Queen:

Lady Ralia, Queen of Ligoria,

I recently encountered a small legal issue we might want to address before you and your army leave the city. Send someone to find me whenever you have a few minutes available. We'll sort it out.

Yours truly, Avitus Traianus.

And two others, more discrete and written on anonymous bits of parchment, to both Nikephoros and Kathos:
We need someone in charge while Q. is gone. I mean officially. Maybe K. ? Is he going too? A. - burn after reading-

He then put on his least remarkable outfit and went to the slums he was told he might encounter a spy in, followed by Ulrich.

Go to the slums, find a member of that gang and meet a spy.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: November 27, 2011, 08:13:07 am »

((OOC: Also, I'm going to request a roll to see if Talas Agent in the Criminal court picked up on Avitus's requests for a spy-he's pretty much perfectly placed to hear about such things. If so, he might be present at the meeting. :P ))

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #1708 on: November 27, 2011, 08:21:35 am »

The foursome slowly walked along, and it was clear the peasant wasn't happy about losing his friend. Still, he walked, carrying the bag of blueleaf, while Ji'sen held the Stiffwort. Every few hours, Ji'sen exchanged the bag with Me'gh'fa.

Roughly 8 hours after they had begun that morning, as close as Oli'c could tell from the sun, they stopped for a short rest.

Whispering to Ji'sen, he asked, "Do you think we should look for any hamlets or small farms around here? It could provide for a far better spent night, and some new blood."

"Well, if there are girls, I'm in," Ji'sen responded, grinning.
Sighing, Oli'c said, "Yes, well, that's not really what we're here for. We need to convert people."

Look for hamlets/farms in the area, that are far from cities.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: November 27, 2011, 08:21:35 am »

((OOC: Put that in the OOC thread Dwarmin. That's what it's for :P))

When the queen received Avitus' message, she made her way down to the site where he was planning to build the university, with the intent to discuss this matter to get it dealt with...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 220