Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 290618 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #2910 on: March 18, 2012, 07:14:39 pm »

"Quick, crush the dissidents before they give anyone any ideas!"

Hit them hard and scare em now, before they get any bigger!
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: March 19, 2012, 07:21:30 am »

Many OWS participants and supporters are against capitalism (myself included), but I definitely don't think they are representative of the movement itself.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: March 19, 2012, 07:39:29 am »

I'm not against capitalism, I'm against plutocracy. (As one of my favorite homemade signs says.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: March 19, 2012, 07:44:25 am »

Mine says "Terra for the Terrans!".
Love, scriver~

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: March 21, 2012, 09:02:08 am »

Yup. Although I still have no idea why articles like that are claiming that OWS is against capitalism.

1: So they can demonize and discredit the movement by any means necessary.

2: Because the very few organizations against capitalism do support OWS.

3: Because capitalism is a religion. And anything that does not deify the invisible hand of the unregulated marketplace is complete blasphemy.

Or maybe it's because a majority of the signs pertain to 'Death to Capitalism' in some way, shape, or form?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2915 on: March 21, 2012, 09:07:01 am »

Yup. Although I still have no idea why articles like that are claiming that OWS is against capitalism.

3: Because capitalism is a religion. And anything that does not deify the invisible hand of the unregulated marketplace is complete blasphemy.

Or maybe it's because a majority of the signs pertain to 'Death to Capitalism' in some way, shape, or form?

Majority? Really? I have seen maybe 1 or 2 out of hundreds.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: March 21, 2012, 09:12:42 am »

Majority? Really? I have seen maybe 1 or 2 out of hundreds.

Do not take my wording literally. The point still stands. And as Wall Street is essentially a large figurehead for the institution that is modern capitalism, it's not a very far step to take that OWS is primarily anti-capitalism due to it's unfairness.

Unless, of course, the overarching economical changes that will lead us to a golden age will come from a way other than massively overhauling our entire economic structure from capitalism to some such other system.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 09:14:17 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: March 21, 2012, 09:32:29 am »

The vast majority of the OWS movement is in favor of regulating capitalism, not replacing it.

As much as the randroid sycophants want to believe it, the free market is NOT a god imbued with divine power in its purity and deserving of worship.

It is a tool, one that has worked better in the past and can be restored, or even improved.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: March 21, 2012, 09:40:29 am »

The vast majority of the OWS movement is in favor of regulating capitalism, not replacing it.

As much as the randroid sycophants want to believe it, the free market is NOT a god imbued with divine power in its purity and deserving of worship.

It is a tool, one that has worked better in the past and can be restored, or even improved.

Isn't an overly regulated capitalism a fascist entity at heart? Or is regulation an issue once it affects everyone and not just the regulated? 'Give an inch and they'll take a mile' may be a good phrase to remember if these dreams do come true, you know.

How does OWS wish to implement stronger smarter regulation? Do not simply state the abolishment of Citizen's United, that's Step 1.a) in the process.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 09:42:44 am by Mictlantecuhtli »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: March 21, 2012, 09:44:17 am »

Isn't an overly regulated capitalism a fascist entity at heart? Or is regulation an issue once it affects everyone and not just the regulated?

How does OWS wish to implement stronger smarter regulation? Do not simply state the abolishment of Citizen's United, that's Step 1.a) in the process.
Fascism? What? That is ridiculous. No. Are you actually serious? Explain that.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2920 on: March 21, 2012, 10:01:12 am »

Isn't an overly regulated capitalism a fascist entity at heart? Or is regulation an issue once it affects everyone and not just the regulated? 'Give an inch and they'll take a mile' may be a good phrase to remember if these dreams do come true, you know.

'Give an inch and they'll take a mile' indeed.  Wall Street being idiotic with our economy is usually blamed for the recent economic failures, and most of them got off scot-free or even with a bonus.  There have also been a number of laws recently (SOPA, PIPA, the infamous "Pizza is a vegetable serving") that were clearly bought and paid for by companies that directly harm the American public.  Someone has clearly overstepped their bounds, but it isn't the government.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: March 21, 2012, 10:43:06 am »

Isn't an overly regulated capitalism a fascist entity at heart? Or is regulation an issue once it affects everyone and not just the regulated?

You don't get the liberty of asking a question in response to rather serious queries that have yet to be answered solidly by any supporter of this 'movement.'

But I'll humour you; Yes, regulation does lead to an increase of government control and can lead to a cascade effect of liberty and privacy being erased for the sake of government convenience, hence 'take a mile' as in deciding that simply having opposition is becoming tedious and that centralized government power is exactly what they've always wanted anyways. Fascist in most meanings of the word, I'm not sure how else you would define an overly secretive nanny state of that type of calibre. A much different story from civil liberties being chipped away by corruption caused by the overly wealthy and powerful higher classes, but still a scary one nonetheless.

Smarter regulation =/= More regulation.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:45:29 am by Mictlantecuhtli »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: March 21, 2012, 10:53:59 am »

This is where I point out that most countries the west have both bigger governments and more regulation ensuring privacy and civil liberties than the USA currently has.

Also, "nanny state" is a pretty good word for it, even if it's loaded with negativity. "Fascist" is mostly just used about two kind of states; either one actively believing or following the classical Fascist ideology (conservative nationalism); or a dictatorship which rules and stays in power by use of violence and fear.
Love, scriver~

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: March 21, 2012, 11:07:52 am »

You don't get the liberty of asking a question in response to rather serious queries that have yet to be answered solidly by any supporter of this 'movement.'

But I'll humour you; Yes, regulation does lead to an increase of government control and can lead to a cascade effect of liberty and privacy being erased for the sake of government convenience, hence 'take a mile' as in deciding that simply having opposition is becoming tedious and that centralized government power is exactly what they've always wanted anyways. Fascist in most meanings of the word, I'm not sure how else you would define an overly secretive nanny state of that type of calibre. A much different story from civil liberties being chipped away by corruption caused by the overly wealthy and powerful higher classes, but still a scary one nonetheless.

Smarter regulation =/= More regulation.

I do get the liberty of asking you to explain yourself when you make a ridiculous statement like: "Isn't an overly regulated capitalism a fascist entity at heart?" We are not fascists here, you don't get to deny me that liberty.

As for your question: how to make smarter regulation? Repealing citizens united is part of it. So is restoring Glass-Steagall, the separation of interests in financial institutions. OWS has no one leader that sets the policy and agenda. There are thousands of suggestions on how to move in the right directions, some of the good, some of them bad.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:14:56 am by Nadaka »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: March 21, 2012, 12:37:39 pm »

Depends on what you mean by "regulation". The sort of regulations you get when large businesses are paying for them? Absolutely fascist, to the extent that fascism involves economics. Fascism is partially characterized by collusion between the wealthy and the government, in that while you see nationalization of major corporations, but the individuals who run them remain in powerful positions and essentially take up the state-defined leadership roles. At the same time, you get a government happy to devote national resources to prop up these now-nationalized business institutions in times of economic hardship. In short, you get circles of friends in all the leadership positions, and these people are willing to do whatever they can to help a buddy out.

That's not the kind of regulation most left-wing people actually push for, even if (more and more) it is the kind of regulation we end up with. When people say regulation is important, it's typically anti-monopoly, environmental, transparency, or taxes, all of which are somewhere between antithetical and irrelevant to fascist ideology.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 297