Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 290603 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #2940 on: March 22, 2012, 02:27:38 am »

I found one of my original points on pages 12-13. It was bashed hard. Then later in the thread (somewhere within the last 20 pages I think, but I can't find it amidst the shit slinging), someone proposes the same idea I had and everyone somehow agrees.

Then there was my statement that ultimately the public is too ignorant and uncaring to actually keep tabs on the government, which ultimately made the system fail. An even more recent page had a repeat comment, and nobody objects to it anymore.

There are a few more points I made, but can't find them amidst all of this.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: March 22, 2012, 04:32:12 am »

Three people posted somewhat critical points and then two of them left the forums or have not posted anything that I know of since then. Most likely nobody read your original posts.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: March 22, 2012, 05:02:10 am »

Guess I assumed they just went into lurk mode. Maybe it's because I haven't been able to keep up with the thread so well as of late. Oh well, carry on.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: March 22, 2012, 01:31:48 pm »

Student Loan Forgiveness Act

A small step forward for future students at least; or am I missing something potentially bad about this?

A second article that isn't Yahoo News

Sounds like a wise investment in capital to me.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:37:31 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: March 22, 2012, 01:44:58 pm »

There's nothing bad about the law itself (well, it will encourage some people who just aren't cut out for college for various reason to apply anyway, but that's not too big of an issue), but the higher education system needs to be picked apart. There's just so many expenses and fees that seem (or right out are) too excessive, professors that won't take pay cuts when the rest of the university does, etc.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: March 23, 2012, 01:22:08 am »

Not to mention college football coaches paid far in excess of any of the academic staff...
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: March 23, 2012, 01:25:00 am »

College sports actually brings in a lot of money. Depends on the college of course, but they could be making more money from tickets/etc than it costs to fund them.

I mean, stuff like March Madness can be a big deal.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: March 23, 2012, 01:51:35 am »

I don't see what eridian has to do with anything.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: March 23, 2012, 10:41:21 am »

College sports actually brings in a lot of money. Depends on the college of course, but they could be making more money from tickets/etc than it costs to fund them.

I mean, stuff like March Madness can be a big deal.
Yeah, if they're famous for it (which shouldn't be at all, since these are ACADEMIC institutions). If they're some school with backwater sports teams, they're just kidding themselves, especially when they offer full sports scholarships, preferential scheduling, and stipends for sports players. It's a load of bull.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: March 28, 2012, 02:05:34 pm »

Trailer for #ReGENERATION

Beyond the labels of “Generation X” and “Generation Y,” the feature documentary film ReGeneration takes an uncompromising look at the issues facing today’s youth and young adults, and the influences that perpetuate our culture’s apathetic approach to social and political causes.

Focused on how today’s education, parenting, and media can shape us, the film follows three separate walks of life representing today’s generation. Each brings their own unique perspective – from an inspired collective of musicians working outside the corporate system, to a twenty-something conservative family about to welcome the birth of their second child, and a group of five high-school students from the suburbs looking for their place in society. Their stories are interspersed with the knowledge, wisdom, and personal reflections of some of the country’s leading scholars, social activists, and media personalities, including Andrew Bacevich, Noam Chomsky, Talib Kweli, and the late Howard Zinn, among others.

Within the film, the discussion of apathy found in today’s generation leads to exploration of technology, our disconnection with nature, how much we consume, our loss of history, and the economic factors holding many of us back from becoming more active participants in our communities. With such a varied and intelligent group of interviews, we come to a deeper understanding of the numerous influences shaping today’s culture where one universal feeling is shared – our society is at a crossroads, economically, environmentally, and intellectually – and we must change ourselves and the world for the better.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: March 29, 2012, 10:34:32 pm »

That's... welp. That's pretty infuriating. Again. Damnitall.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: March 29, 2012, 10:48:48 pm »

I am mildly disturbed by the fact that, apparently, lobbying of this magnitude is apparently more cost-effective than just paying the damn taxes. Apparently it would be a tiny, but not quite entirely negligible (about 1%), portion of the actual entire federal budget that we could be bringing in?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: March 29, 2012, 10:54:31 pm »

What's most disturbing to me is the magnitude of influence against us.  Within the economic/political system, we're like children prying the fingers of titans from our necks.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: April 01, 2012, 07:01:27 am »

By your logic, wouldn't those taxes just be self-defeating anyways? The companies in question could still just pay off the politicians or have their lawyers/accountants find all the loopholes. All it would do is add another layer of legalese that the general public can't understand. The underlying problem remains untouched.
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 297