Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: How Close are we to the Next Release?  (Read 19727 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: How Close are we to the Next Release?
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2011, 11:00:09 am »

To reference the title I'd have to say that it will probably come a little sooner then a few months from now. But I expect that a relatively bug-free version of the same release probably won't come until at least a few months from now (I mean we are still having some serious problems with bee-keeping right now).

On the minecraft vs. DF thing I think that both are pretty awesome games, though they are definitely tailored in different ways. For minecraft I think that multiplayer mode is definitely a huge increase in the potential of the game from single player mode. I mean it is much cooler to be able to actually walk around inside of other people's creations as opposed to just being able to see screen-shots. As for the development things I tend to think of Toady's community updates as being sort of equivalent to Notch's updates. The only difference is that Notch makes a large amount of releases with much smaller content that has already been fairly well bug-tested, and Toady instead releases community updates and then every once in a while releases an actual game update that contains a huge amount of content that has only been bug-tested enough to catch most of the major bugs. They are just on two different ends of the sliding scales of content. With Toady sacrificing bug testing and more frequent updates in exchange for much more content, and Notch sacrificing content amount in order to do more bug testing and more frequent updates. Personally I think that minecraft multiplayer and DF come out at about a tie, just with their appeals lying in different directions.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2011, 03:57:38 pm »

I'm expecting an early-mid October releae, maybe a Halloween one since this is the special necromancy release.

The appropiateness of your suggested date, along with the fitting avatar for a date a month in the future, lead me to believe that you cannot be wrong.

Halloween it is! 

If it comes out before then, I will not download it until All Hallow's Fluxing Eve.

I was gonna say Halloween, and I was just looking thru all the posts to see if anyone had said it yet.

Anyway, for you computer geeks out there:

Why is OCT 31 = DEC 25?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2011, 04:03:37 pm »

The only difference is that Notch makes a large amount of releases with much smaller content that has already been fairly well bug-tested, and Toady instead releases community updates and then every once in a while releases an actual game update that contains a huge amount of content that has only been bug-tested enough to catch most of the major bugs.

If you look at Toady's updates, you will see that Toady spends by far the most time testing new features and bugfixing them than putting new stuff into the games. But the features Toady introduces tend to be far more complicated than the features Notch introduces so it is expected there are more issues with them.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2011, 04:25:26 pm »

I cannot get how can one compare bugs in a fairy simple 3d engine construction/exploration game to bugs in an overly complex simulation of worlds with thousands of creatures which use tools and wear socks.

Those are just different levels of complexity.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2011, 08:30:31 pm »

I'm expecting an early-mid October releae, maybe a Halloween one since this is the special necromancy release.

The appropiateness of your suggested date, along with the fitting avatar for a date a month in the future, lead me to believe that you cannot be wrong.

Halloween it is! 

If it comes out before then, I will not download it until All Hallow's Fluxing Eve.

I was gonna say Halloween, and I was just looking thru all the posts to see if anyone had said it yet.

Anyway, for you computer geeks out there:

Why is OCT 31 = DEC 25?

Because octal 31 --> 3*8+1 = 25 decimal :P

As for the release date I just hope it's soon(ish), can't wait.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2011, 03:50:56 am »

I think it'll be fairly soon (end of October) now that he's cleaning up. I also think that we'll move out of .31 fairly soon, since by his own admission we're past that.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2011, 06:02:07 am »

Dear Deon, the problem relies on socks.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2011, 09:58:41 am »

Wow. More and more useful stuff keeps getting added. Consider these notes from the past couple weeks:

"The player-controlled dragonfire worked on all those elves in the arena, and things will actually catch on fire now instead of just melting. Forgotten beast webbers work properly..."
"The largest thing I've added for them is a sort of transformation rolodex to maintain appearance properly when werebeasts return to their original form...Now they return to the same condition, minus wounds. I suppose I could add wounds in as well, but it'll be a feature for now...I also ran and adjusted several more werebeast attacks to get those working better. There are just a few adv-as-werebeast quirks to work through now, and I can finally check one of these off with some finality."
"Today I made a debug button that converted every dwarf but the first into a zombie that is also the first dwarf's child to test out the various negative thoughts from before. Those thoughts are more specific now as well. Messed with corpse chunk naming conventions, so that it won't just say "bronze colossus's bronze" for instance, when a hand is lopped off...Jumped the gun on books a bit to make necromancer towers more varied...you can currently read them and learn. If you can read."
"Zombies survive much more readily now after some changes to their physical attributes, so the starting dwarves can't clear out an entire invasion on their own anymore... I broke the "Cannot follow order" message for soldiers into about a dozen hopefully helpful messages."
These on their own would make the next version great. Add in necromancers, night creatures, and the ability to do 3D designations...Awesome. I just hope the last few bugs don't take too long.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2011, 10:13:26 am »

"Zombies survive much more readily now after some changes to their physical attributes, so the starting dwarves can't clear out an entire invasion on their own anymore... I broke the "Cannot follow order" message for soldiers into about a dozen hopefully helpful messages."

A lot of good stuff in there, but these two make my ears (eyes?) perk up the most.  I know the "Soldier: Cannot Follow Orders," has been on it's way to becoming the BSOD of DF  :P, so that's a great thing. 
And for zombies, I'm looking forward to anything that ups the challenge.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2011, 01:31:25 pm »

finnaly we will be able to mod zombie infections!
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2011, 06:29:00 am »

Usable release (defined as most of most annoying bugs fixed or covered up)? Some time after beginning of 2012.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

breadman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2011, 09:51:09 pm »

Yeah. The bulk of the city creation part appears to have been finished in less than three weeks. Then the new city design led to temples, sewers and catacombs. These in turn led to secrets and curses. These led to the undead rewrite. This led to necromancers. This led to the night creatures rewrite. This led to vampires and werewolves. And all this had brought their own added features, such as townspeople recognizing people not aging and cults. And on top of all this there were the sponsorship animals, which brought their own new features such as the breath attack rewrite.
Toady gets sidetracked easily.

I wish my side tracks led to 100% win so regularly...
Quote from: Kevin Wayne, in r.g.r.n
Is a "diety" the being pictured by one of those extremely skinny aboriginal statues?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2011, 12:18:06 am »

I think the next release will be December. January. 8/

On the plus side, I think, it wont be .31 anymore.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2011, 12:39:01 am »

It's hard to tell at this point. Clean up is a funny thing, it can go really fast or agonizingly slow depending on the bug. It could come out anytime.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2011, 11:04:56 am »

It's hard to tell at this point. Clean up is a funny thing, it can go really fast or agonizingly slow depending on the bug. It could come out anytime.
In fact it could have come out 30 seconds ago.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8