Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185152 times)

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
Re: You are King!
« Reply #1005 on: July 26, 2011, 12:02:21 pm »

Amaryllis watches  the Alchemist's experiment with a twinge of boredom.She still hasn't set out for Lonemine and is lingering around the castle like a ghost, watching for anything of interest. She isn't wearing Kain's sigil or her black robes. But rather the garb of a middle class girl. You can hardly see any similarities from any other girl.
She watched from a nearby street as he experimented with his ballista.
She thought it was time to speak with this Mahtan about his ideas.

Amaryllis will get an interview with Mahtan .

((Ye god's my writing is horrible right now.))
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:36:29 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: July 26, 2011, 12:30:12 pm »

Ochita begins to talk to Locanil, and he asks the lizard man to teach him magic, when he comes back from suul at his diplomatic mission, and he decides to spend some time with the lizard man, socalising, before he sets off for suul.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #1007 on: July 26, 2011, 02:42:21 pm »

((Thatkid never edited his post fully, so I have no idea when I"m going to be able to talk to either of you.))
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: July 26, 2011, 03:42:53 pm »

The human who had walked up to him was Ochita. a new servant of the king, a diplomat to be precise. He wanted to learn magic. Locanil kept saying that he knew no true magic and the only way thing that was magical about his abilities was his connection with the spirits. He also explained his connection was only possible by actively worshiping Oritziem, who allows his acolytes to contact the spirits. When Ochita finally left for Suul, Locanil was still confused if Ochita understood.

Well enough about the human now, it was time to teach the peasants and maybe get to making that map.

Action- Teach peasants and make a start on map
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: July 27, 2011, 04:08:07 am »

Send scouts to search for wild mountain animals like moutain goats or something
Get the healthy clansmen to collect stone blocks
Send guards to watch the hunting tracks for hunters
if hunters show up attempt to convert them
send scouts down the track to look for hunting lodges

Spoiler: Ztah (click to show/hide)
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: July 27, 2011, 05:22:16 am »

Drua returns to her estate and raises her husband's guard.

[2]  You return to your estate in Miring to find that your husband and his guard have both been called to the capital to aid in their defence.  [4]  You take one of your husband's horses from the stables and although unused to riding are able to reach Miring not long after his guard make it there.  [4]  You arrive at Castle Sleen where you are led to understand that your husband, Lord Markan Drummel, has been taken into close confidence with the king as part of his new board of advisors.  You return to review your husband's troops when you spot a familiar looking standard over some troops approaching the city.

Lord Terenos rallies a personal guard.  He takes his guard, and the regiment provided by the King, to Miring.

[4]  The journey through Miring is bleak, if untroubled.  You and your scouts determine the signs of several small battles, but from the bodies and scattered equipment not scavenged it is clear these were peasant uprisings and small rebellions rather than the start of the real Preston advance.  With a certain grim humour, you recognise the tattered banners and broken shields of Count Castor amongst the dead.  It appears that the Count's former servants took unkindly to the King's efforts to unify the country again.  [4]  Nevertheless, the body count means you can do a little math.  Based on the mass graves, pyres and littered small battlefields you pass and your scouts discover, you reckon somewhere in the region of six or seven regiments' worth of troops on both sides must have been killed in the conflict.  You can't be sure what proportion were rebel and what number loyalist, though.

[1]  Marching two regiments cross-country takes time - more time than you have.  You arrive late at Miring to find smoke rising from the city.  Troops are sacking the town itself, though the castle and port appear to remain intact!  [1]  The smoke, chaos and disparate nature of the troops makes it impossible for you to judge how many there are, or even what side they are on.  They seem to be ignoring the castle in favour of looting the town, though.  [2]  You mutter a brief prayer to any gods, Cyclist or otherwise, that might hear you.  No luck.  Looks like you're on your own.

Terenos' troops have arrived to find the city under siege.  Drua is trapped with her own troops (1 reg), 1 regiment of other noble troops and 3 regiments of royal troops inside the castle at Port Sleen.  The king is unwilling to leave the castle to save the city, lest they lose their defensive advantage.

Quote from: General Kaguro
Using treasury stipend, raise temporary force of 1 infantry, 1 guard.

You raise forces, drawing on the treasury's offerings.  You are ready to proceed to wherever you wish, whenever you are ready.

Quote from: Sir Jormundr
Negotiate whilst preparing for a fight.

[4]  The Baikovs essentially suggest 'anywhere but here', admitting that someone else will probably still try and kill you anyway.  They suppose the Yevenov clan are pretty weak, to the northwest, but they don't really fight with them or they'd have wiped them out anyway.  [3]  The Baikovs have one regiment of clansmen that you can see, and they're right in front of you and armed.  [2]  It is becoming quite clear these negotiations are going nowhere.  Your troops have been surreptitiously moving to encircle the raiders, but the Baikovs are swiftly losing patience and demanding you move on.  There's no way you'll be able to complete the ambush before you or they attack or you are forced to leave.

Send scouts to search for wild mountain animals like moutain goats or something
Send guards to watch the hunting tracks for hunters
if hunters show up attempt to convert them
send scouts down the track to look for hunting lodges

[6]  Your huntsmen find a surprisingly large number of mountain goats.  They quite happily hunt and butcher several, until the reason why there are so many goats becomes apparent when the goatherds arrive.  [4-1]  The goatherds are not happy about you raiding their herds, but your huntsmen are quite persuasively armed and they back off.  [4]  Several of the herders appear to have some skill hunting themselves and you are able to encourage them to visit your caves and trade, but there are not enough of them to form another regiment with.  [1]  Your attempts to watch the animal trails for more hunters goes awry when the hunters turn up, but assume your huntsmen are there poaching.  Violence breaks out, [2] and your hunters are forced down the mountains to escape, [1] where they find the hunting lodges belonging to the hunters.  [6]  In a stunning act of diplomacy and silver-tongued deception, your own huntsmen manage to convince the hunters in the lodge that their fellows have been poaching their claims and that they were after your men because they were coming to warn the others.  The two groups of huntsmen turn on each other, giving your own men time to escape, but the net result is that the native hunters are completely wiped out in the melee.  Nobody is left to convert.  [5]  On the bright side, you are able to loot 1 Ducat in goods and furs from the hunting lodges.

Quote from: Mahtan
Reconstruct and demonstrate the ballista.

(Demonstration conducted already.)

Ballistae can now be constructed.

Quote from: The Weasel King
[Suggestions on gunpowder.]

Sounds reasonable.  Engineers don't get used up when producing gunpowder (the way they would when producing siege units or fortifications), so each engineer set to producing gunpowder will produce one (figurative) barrel per year, but be unavailable for aught else.

Prior to the invention of cannon and gonnes, gunpowder barrels can be used to provide a +1 to mining-related checks, or as a one-off +1 to a battle vs a walled fortification (attackers only).  Other uses may be viable, but will still require the barrel of gunpowder to use.

I also realise I didn't put these in the OP, so I'll define the units here:

Catapults:  Basic siege weapon.  Requires 2 ducats + 1 engineer to hire, 2 ducats upkeep.  Str 3 vs walled fortifications, Str 1 otherwise.  No manpower requirement.  Can take part in naval battles.

Ballistae:  Siege weapon.  Requires 2 ducats + 1 engineer to hire, 2 ducats upkeep.  Str 2 vs walled fortifications; Str 2 in battles vs cavalry, ships or siege; Str 1 otherwise.  No manpower requirement.  Can take part in naval battles.

Quote from: Micelus
Rather impressive map.

That would do nicely, nicely enough we'll call it canon.  Do you use a mapmaking program, or did you put that together in an image editing program?
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: July 27, 2011, 05:40:42 am »

Claim goatherd and herders land for wealth
Recruit Native goatherders
Claim hunting lodges
Talk to goatherders about the surrounding land

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 05:45:31 am by NoahTophatz »
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: July 27, 2011, 05:44:42 am »

Ready my two new regiments for battle and await the King's command
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: July 27, 2011, 06:22:59 am »

I made the map in hexographer. Its in what I'd call beta though. Im still trying to improve it, which is why I posted it in the first place, to get suggestions.

I can also make a map of Elbreth and the surrounding area if I'm given more info on the kingdom and its geography. Or I could just play it by the ear...

Im guessing thatkid is gonna roll on the more peaceful actions, fair enough

Also Ive edited my chronicle, fixed a few mistakes.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 06:51:36 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Jormundur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: July 27, 2011, 07:31:44 am »

Jormund looks around to see that his soldiers are in no position to attack so he quickly agrees to leave. As they're heading out though he offers to the leader of the Baikov, "If you could help us it would be greatly appreciated. We have a little money that we might be able to pay you if we're successful as well."

Leave the Baikov area peacefully but try and hire their troops while leaving.

OOC: I'm also wondering, if I had attacked the Baikov, since we both had only one regiment unless one of us rolled a 6 and the other a 1 we both would be wiped out normally. So how would that work and then who would be able to claim the land?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 07:34:22 am by Jormundur »
I'm having money troubles so they disconnected my internet at home... No way to post outside of work. :\ Thankfully I work from 10 AM to 6 PM EST, though its 6:45 and I'm still at the office. (Manager, I can stay as long as I want, hehe)

...And yes, I'm here just to post on B12 in RP posts. Can't get geekier than that.

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
  • This space has been left blank by the user.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: July 27, 2011, 10:21:31 am »

A small yet well dressed man walked into the village of Corv Manskinner. He dressed in the customary clothing in the Highlands. He looked nothing too special except the soldiers with him. The soldiers marched behind him, keeping an eye on the locals of the village. Slung around his shoulder was a satchel containing medical supplies along with a loaf of bread and some water. A short sword swung by his side as he walked. "Hello my friend!" He said as he tried to keep a tone of disgust off his face. He stopped in front of a guard standing watch in front of the throne room. "I am here to see the... mighty Corv Manskinner. Your leader. I bring food, medical supplies and my skills as a doctor!" He nodded at the soldier again. This will be a pleasant trip, He thought as the soldier stared at him. "My name is McJohnston, and I come from the... Well, where I come from does not matter. Do you speak the native language?" He sighed and walked forward, only to be blocked by the guard. "The Chief is in a meeting." The guard replied. Muttering something under his breath he opened his mouth again.

Action: Try to persuade my way into the throne room.

((Did I do this right? Please tell me if I need to fix anything. I don't want to look like an idiot. ))

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:27:32 am by Mr. Dwarfinton »

Jormundur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: July 27, 2011, 10:30:42 am »

((Looks fine to me. It's kind of funny though, because i was honestly going to play a doctor if things don't go too well with my current character. Good choice and welcome to the kingdom.))
I'm having money troubles so they disconnected my internet at home... No way to post outside of work. :\ Thankfully I work from 10 AM to 6 PM EST, though its 6:45 and I'm still at the office. (Manager, I can stay as long as I want, hehe)

...And yes, I'm here just to post on B12 in RP posts. Can't get geekier than that.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: July 27, 2011, 10:31:46 am »

A small yet well dressed man walked into the village of Corv Manskinner. He dressed in the customary clothing in the Highlands. He looked nothing too special except the soldiers with him. The soldiers marched behind him, keeping an eye on the locals of the village. Slung around his shoulder was a satchel containing medical supplies along with a loaf of bread and some water. A short sword swung by his side as he walked. "Hello my friend!" He said as he tried to keep a tone of disgust off his face. He stopped in front of a guard standing watch in front of the throne room. "I am here to see the... mighty Corv Manskinner. Your leader. I bring food, medical supplies and my skills as a doctor!" He nodded at the soldier again. This will be a pleasant trip, He thought as the soldier stared at him. "My name is McJohnston, and I come from the... Well, where I come from does not matter. Do you speak the native language?" He sighed and walked forward, only to be blocked by the guard. "The Chief is in a meeting." The guard replied. Muttering something under his breath he opened his mouth again.

Action: Try to persuade my way into the throne room.

[2]  Your tiny retinue of guards does little to impress.  The guard just crosses his pike in front of the door.  "No outlanders."

Jormund looks around to see that his soldiers are in no position to attack so he quickly agrees to leave. As they're heading out though he offers to the leader of the Baikov, "If you could help us it would be greatly appreciated. We have a little money that we might be able to pay you if we're successful as well."

Leave the Baikov area peacefully but try and hire their troops while leaving.

OOC: I'm also wondering, if I had attacked the Baikov, since we both had only one regiment unless one of us rolled a 6 and the other a 1 we both would be wiped out normally. So how would that work and then who would be able to claim the land?

[6]  The Baikovs are willing to fight for the usual fee of 1.5 Ducats, but they reckon you probably don't have much money.  They instead offer you a deal; several of their kinsmen were killed by Brighthall soldiers doing a sweep for some manner of bandit from their side of the border.  If you can bring them the head of the bandit they were after, they'll happily join you for some raids.

Whoever rolled higher would win, despite the troop loss.  Unless it was a draw, in which case the Baikov would keep the land since they already claim it.

I might make the chance of one-sided victory when evenly balanced higher than 1/18 (~5.5%) from now on.  Making the required difference 4 instead of 5 (i.e. 6 vs 2, 1 vs 5) would make it about 1/6, I think (~16.67%), or roughly three times more likely.  Going to offer this potential change up to opinion instead of just declaring it right now, though.  (It wouldn't affect the chance of a critical hit in personal combat, just battles.)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: July 27, 2011, 10:35:30 am »

((Sounds good, Also reposting my action (I'm guessing thatkid has to roll this one though due to the information on the royal family.))

"So milady, How fares the rest of the royal family?"

Inquire about the royal family. Erika should have some information on that kind of thing.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: July 27, 2011, 10:42:16 am »

((Sounds good, Also reposting my action (I'm guessing thatkid has to roll this one though due to the information on the royal family.))

"So milady, How fares the rest of the royal family?"

Inquire about the royal family. Erika should have some information on that kind of thing.

Yeah, I'm letting him take this.  I've not-particularly-deliberately left the details of the succession vague in case King Erik dies.  Generally I'd rather let players determine succession - especially since you can't play your own heirs.

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 188